[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls II Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16
File: dark-souls-2-5.jpg (2 MB, 1488x1052) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-2-5.jpg
2 MB, 1488x1052
With Dark Souls III looming I decided to take it to myself to finally beat this game. Currently, I am standing in Drangleic Castle and I must say this game REALLY lost what Demon's/Dark Souls was about. Just this and Iron Keep, so far, to clairfy. Iron Keep was a whole mess that I won't get into.

>Enemy upon Enemy spam
>Enemies aggro the fuck out even if you approach naked and will bum rush you
>Enemies with incredibly large health pools and defense fucking everywhere
>That room with the 6 ruin sentinels that aggro the
fuck out in completely different rooms even if you're wearing light armor/naked
>Co-op inspired boss fight (Two Dragon Riders. Wasn't too bad alone but still pretty fucking annoying. Overall one of the easiest bosses in the game so far...but just took more time than it needed)
>Obvious Queen is controlling everything and is evil plot coming up.

This better be the worst level in the game. It's like From Software took the prepare to die slogan to heart and just made an area that has you dying for no reason other than the fact it didn't know when to control itself. This game still has had great areas, shaded forest, no man's wharf, lost bastille, etc. It just Iron Keep and now this castle are true shoddy-imagined areas that completely lost what the series was.

Let's have a fun discussion thread to pass time for the obviously improved sequel.
>>
>>333655891
Don't bother anon, ds2 apologists will just tell you to git gud.
>>
File: casul.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
casul.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>333655891
>That room with the 6 ruin sentinels that aggro the fuck out in completely different rooms even if you're wearing light armor/naked

is it so hard to think a little bit, just for a moment, and open the doors one by one and then proceed to kill the beanpoles one at a time?
You only have to clear that room once, you know
>>
Fair warning, you're probably gonna hate the next area too.

Easiest way to get through the shitty mobs is to just spam poison arrows from a distance
>>
>>333655891
Didn't we have the same thread yesterday ?
>>
>>333657752
and what if you later decide you want the ruin sentinel armor but all the doors are already open?
what if you kill them all into extinction and only have the gloves and four pairs of pants?
>>
>shrine of amana
>dragon shrine
>undead crypt
>the giant memories
>>
>>333658159
>what if you later decide you want the ruin sentinel armor but all the doors are already open?
it's possible to aggro them one at a time with all doors open, I also farmed the set
>what if you kill them all into extinction and only have the gloves and four pairs of pants?
Join covenant of the Champs, they will respawn infinitely (atleast in SotFS)
also, the drop rate is really shitty
>>
>>333658560
you forgot the darklurker dungeons where all the enemies have 5k health and 2 shot you while you're surrounded by ledges
>>
that part is not that hard you are just a noob is all
>>
Don't even bother trying to make a thread like this. You're just going to get a bunch of dark souls fangays who can see no flaw with the game and will just tell anyone who has any criticism at all to git gud.
>>
File: 1449379603991.gif (2 MB, 321x357) Image search: [Google]
1449379603991.gif
2 MB, 321x357
Is the DLC and Scholar content (whatever that is exactly?) worth going through the game again to play?
>>
>rehashed story and a lot of characters
>world that makes absolutely no fucking sense
>very little sense of grandeur, mystery, or wonder
>MORE ENEMIES - WITH HIT SCAN TO PUNISH THE NOOBS
>trying to "fix" what was a pretty good stat system before

Honestly, DS2 might as well be a fan mod. Even if it is made by From, I don't consider it a true souls game.
>>
>>333659198
the dlcs are okay, they suffer from the same problem where the level and enemy design motto is "prepare to die xD"
scholar is fucking stupid though.
>>
>>333659198
Everyone says the DLC is the best part of Dark Souls 2 but they're full of shit, outside of maybe 2 or 3 enjoyable boss battles.

The level design is fucking atrocious and absolutely full of bullshit like enemies who just have a shitload of health and near infinite poise.

The rest of the boss battles are gank squads, rehashes, or just generally unfun and shitty.

The -only- thing that Dark Souls 2 has over Demon's Souls or Dark Souls (or even Bloodborne) is just amount of content. Dark Souls 2 took a quantity over quality approach and it shows in every aspect of the game. It's the longest game, and it's also the shittiest.
>>
So how were you supposed to figure out how to open the doors to drangleic castle? Just kill the infinite enemies over and over until you happen to be in the right position for the giant thing to eat the soul?
>>
File: image.png (66 KB, 290x255) Image search: [Google]
image.png
66 KB, 290x255
>>333659385

>im a true soles fan and deem this video game not the video game it claims to be even though it's canon and an official sequel to the other game
>>
What about those turtle knight things? I know they are supposed to flop backwards if you try to backstab, but their stupid tracking and the fact they all aggro at once so you can't sneak up on them means I have never once found myself in 400 hours in a position to stab them in the back.
>>
File: 1451720029288.png (74 KB, 1332x1336) Image search: [Google]
1451720029288.png
74 KB, 1332x1336
>>333656967
>>333657752
>>
>>333659198
DLCs are tremendous
>>
>>333659867
>believing this meme
>>
File: Flame_Salamander.png (572 KB, 761x576) Image search: [Google]
Flame_Salamander.png
572 KB, 761x576
name a worse enemy than this protip you cant
>>
Why would you ever want to play another one of these games after you played one?
>>
>>333660072
if you unlock you can run behind it and get rolled if you want
>>
>>333660513
I've had kalameet tracking me more than those bitches.
>>
>>333658740
I just use a greatsword and stunlock them into the holes myself
>>
>>333660513
I just shot these fuckers with a bow.
>>
>>333658560
Fuck shrine of amana. I can defend most of ds2 as a good game but FUCK that area in particular.
>annoying sleeping rat things you have to take out methodically 1 by 1 before the bitch stops singing
>archdrake sorceresses that fire homing missiles and aggro like 100 fucking yards away
>CONSTANT WADING THROUGH WATER FFS
They could have removed that area from the game and it would have been better for it
>>
>>333661028
it looked pretty though, and finding all the hidden areas was fun
>>
>>333659396

>enemy design motto is "prepare to die xD"

But that was started by Dark Souls and Sen's Fortress was the first example of it. If Dark Souls 2 suffers from it, then so does Dark Souls.
>>
>>333661028
They could have added something to walk through water properly at least.
>>
The thing I liked the least about the game was how there were more pharros locks then there were pharros keys even if you didn't open any of the rat areas.
>>
>>333661153

You're confusing enemy design with level design.

The only reason they threw the "prepare to die" thing in there, was because of how many people mentioned dying in DeS.

Sen's at least makes sense in its difficulty, because it's supposed to be full of traps (which, by the way, shares a lot of ideas with the Passage of Death from King's Field).
>>
>>333661092
Agreed, it was visually one of the best areas, but all that was spoiled by the shitey content. At least Semen of Dong had a good visual design
>>333661246 ikr like the ring from ds1
>>
>>333661153
Sure but they took it to the extreme with dark souls 2, the entire game feels like they set out to dick over the player as much as possible, in dark souls 1 it was only confined to one area.
>>
>>333659867
lol your summary is shorter

>im a faggot

thats you nigga
>>
>>333661247
You clearly didn't find all of the lockstones.
>>
>>333661536
yea, but it was probably the most underwhelming boss fight in the entire game.
>>
>>333660515
new weapons, new enemies, new music, new outfits, new areas

games good
>>
>>333661516

No, I'm not confusing them but the enemies are part of the level design. The GOTCHA and "ur gonna die a lot" marketing started with Dark Souls, which means that if you're going to fault Dark Souls 2 for adhering to it, ignoring the first game to really push it is stupid.

>>333661537

Literally one of your first interactions in Dark Souls is a gigantic ball smashing down the stairs and insta-killing you. The only reason Dark Souls 2 feels like it's setting out to dick you over is because they realized how criminally easy the AI was to exploit in Dark Souls (which removed any enjoyment/challenge out of approaching PvE situations) and overcorrected in Dark Souls 2. They're both equally shit for their own reasons and supporting a company as consistently incompetent as From is ridiculous.
>>
File: 20160403030132_1.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160403030132_1.jpg
291 KB, 1920x1080
>>333657752
Depends on how much you liked DaS2. Personally i liked it.

Ivory king > sunken king >>>>>>>>>> Iron king
>>
I had a pretty decent time beating the game and extra content

Im surprised how much butthurt there is.
These games always have some bullshit to leave you with.

Like skeleton spam in catacombs or the asshole chanelers in dukes
>>
>>333661658
I'd say it was meh, but probably not the shittest.
>Ornstein 2.0
>Guardian Dragon
>Dragonriders x2
>Nashandra
>Prowling Magus
>Covetous Demon
>>
man it astounds me how bad dark souls 2 was in comparison to 1
it really did feel like a fan made game, and since it was made by a b-team, i wouldnt be off for saying that
>>
File: 20160405191715_1.jpg (385 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
20160405191715_1.jpg
385 KB, 1600x900
Yeah it's really not that great, however I've been having fun using the Greatsword to plow through the game
>>
>>333661983
Right? There's a lot of bullshit in DS2 but there's probably an equal amount in DS1 but no one talks about them...
>>
>>333662093
underwhelming in the fact that for how far into the game it is it's incredibly easy and most people probably beat it first try, dozens of seconds in between attacks and all of its attacks are super fucking telegraphed by the fact it closes its head before it does anything.
>>
File: 1458561755021.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458561755021.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>333662252
Thats because DS1 can do no wrong
Its difficult and yet...fair, unlike DS2
If you die, you only have yourself to blame
>>
>>333662584
That is quite clearly a shockwave and if you blocked from the angle the shockwave came from you would be fine git gud.
>>
OP here

>>333662584
New Londo Ruins and Bed of Chaos are horribly thought out areas/boss fights that are just the definition of Trial and Error. And the Archers in Anor Londo. Outside of that it is non-stop greatness. I hope it's the same with Iron Keep and Dragnlenic Castle because so far those are my only true complaints so far.
>>
>>333661846
>gigantic ball smashing down the stairs and insta-killing you

That ball does barely any fucking damage. I rolled a quick naked pyro and it dealt just under 1/4 of max HP.
>>
>>333662584
The issue is most of DS2's bullshit was intentional

DS1 had shitty hitboxes but that was due to the fact the 2nd half had to be rushed due to budget issues

while thats still a issue that should be pointed out atleast it was not intentional unlike dark souls 2 intentionally exploiting flaws in the combat system to make it harder
>>
>>333655891

playing through sotfs now, iron keep is BULLSHIT

there are like 100000 knights after the smelter demon bonfire, it's just retarded and takes forever to clear.
>>
>>333663083

Your stupid argument would work if there weren't awful hitboxes in every stage of the game.
>>
>>333662778
The fact that i can never consistently beat Bed of Chaos makes me so frustrated, When i think i've got it down it sweeps and by pure unluck it swoops me into a hole, Rince and repeat 3-4 times for each weak point depending on your luck.

I understand wanting to make a gimmick boss, But they really fucked up on this one
>>
>>333662778
New London Ruins, Lost Izalith, Bed of Chaos are all unfinished.

The pacing also collapses after S&O.
>>
>>333660513
Street Sharks
>>
>>333663083
>The issue is most of DS2's bullshit was intentional
DaS2 can do no right.

>DS1 had shitty hitboxes but that was due to the fact the 2nd half had to be rushed due to budget issues
DS1 can do no wrong.
>>
>>333662584
>What is Bed of Chaos
>What are Anor Londo archers
>What are Sen's Fortress titanite demons
>>
>>333663565

ds2 doesnt "feel" right. combat in particular, and rolls are off.

play demons souls, ds1, or even bloodborne. you'll notice a big difference between those and ds2.
>>
File: 1440317919360.webm (3 MB, 1392x774) Image search: [Google]
1440317919360.webm
3 MB, 1392x774
I actually liked DaS2 OP and while it was still flawed, the gameplay balance was GOAT for me. I'm glad that DaS3 seems to be taking almost all the good mechanics from DaS2, the gameplay of DeS, and just the setting from DaS.
>>
DaS2's biggest problem is that they went overboard with the amount of areas and bosses. They should've just done less and focused on those areas/bosses to make them better.

They could've cut like 15 bosses out of the game, and used that dev time to make the other 20 boss battles better and memorable.

Luckily, it seems like From has learned from this, since Bloodborne and DaS3 are both a lot more focused on quality over quantity.
>>
>>333663725
lol

wtf
>>
>>333663824
>DaS2's biggest problem is that they went overboard with the amount of areas and bosses.
Considering DaS had half the content and was STILL unfinished, I'd say it doesn't even matter.
>>
>>333663670
>feels
What a compelling statement.
>>
>>333663824

Once again, this isn't a problem with DS2 this is a problem with the series. Dark Souls had (being optimistic) 3 bosses w/ DLC that were good: Ornstein and Smough, Artorias and Gwyn if you didn't parry. Dark Souls 2 had Fume Knight, Alonne, Ivory King, Sinh, Darklurker, Velstadt and Smelter. These games aren't known for consistently good bosses, it's known for the couple of good bosses in each game.

>BB and DaS3 are both a lot more focused on quality over quantity

But they're both still overwhelmingly bad/forgettable bosses + a couple of good bosses, though nothing has jumped out in DaS3 as a really great boss yet. Every boss I've seen in DaS3 has been super forgettable or a gimmick with the exception of the final boss.
>>
>>333655891

Fuck the gutter's way down from Firelink or whatever that place is called, if you die, it's all the way back to the top and drop.

>Platforming section in a non-platform videogame

Same as having fucking stealth in shit like Godhand or Double Dragon, specially if it's necesary to advance, at least the jump in the catcombs was a shortcut or alternate way, but in the gutter, it's only one way, fucker, also the Rotten can suck my ass with it's cheap ass shockwaves.
>>
dark souls 2 is a giant turd, beat it once and never play it again.
>>
>>333664001

it's hard to explain, the combat doesnt feel like DeS or DaS. also I fucking hate ADP as an idea. iframes should not be linked to a stat.
>>
>>333655891
Dark Souls 2 has objectively the best multiplayer in the series.
>Lagstabbing dropped by 200%
>Far more active PvP areas (DS1 had that dlc area and.... the forest; DeS just had 4-1 and maybe 3-3)
>2 or 3 times more viable builds at all stages of the game, with at least one weapon in a weapon class being useful
>faster connections for everything. Rarely get [SUMMONING FAILED] on both PS3 and PC
>can invade and co-op even after beating the area

face it, DS2 was fucking great for multiplayer. I can't believe so many of you fucks get your ass in a knot over stupid shit like "lmao the elevator goes thru da mountain" and "lel look at this bad graphics"

The only viable complaint is the soul memory thing which you could get rid of by wearing a ring.

Did i mention you could wear 4 fucking rings?
>>
>>333663670
I played Demon souls way back when and for the life of me can't remember much of the rolling mechanics. Having just finished DaS2: sotfs i'm going to replay DaS just for comparison. Maybe there is something to it I don't know.
>>
>>333658740
>where all the enemies have 5k health and 2 shot you
So, DaS pvp?
>>
>>333664149
I haven't seen anything past the Rotted Greatwood, but that seems like a great boss. Also, Vordt has the best OST from any soulsborne boss yet, I think
>>
>>333664403
>2 or 3 times more viable builds at all stages of the game, with at least one weapon in a weapon class being useful
lmao what?
>>
>>333664296
>iframes should not be linked to a stat.
You know, everyone says this but they can never provide a rational reason why.

Personally, I like the AGI/ADP stats because they make you give some thought into your build. Either you dump some points into it to be able to iframe roll to your heart's content at the expense of putting those stats elsehwere like into VIT or VIG, or you forgo them and focus on shields and proper spacing to get yourself through fights. It forces you to specialize instead of being like in DaS where DWGR havelmoms and giantdads shenanigans were encouraged, rendering shields absolutely obsolete... which is actually part of where the 'git gud' meme comes from in regards to there being only one 'objectively correct' playstyle.

Of course, this all falls apart at higher SL since you'll be able to invest points into both ADP/AGI and whatever, but SL50 or even SL120 PvP it forces some degree of planning so you can't be wearing full havels and light rolling with max iframes.
>>
>>333664710
>i've never played the game but I like spouting shitty memes
t. (You)
>>
>>333664883

it isnt fun

it's wasting stats on a core mechanic you should have, based on armor weight. light, mid, or fat rolls.
>>
OP here.

Okay. I just beat the Looking Glass Knight and I had a ton of fun. A great reward after going through a bunch of bullshit.

>Tons of punishing and different attacks
>Knows to control itself and only summons one enemy at a time and that enemy has a reasonable amount of health so it actually adds to the challenge
>Doesn't just spam a bunch of attacks and make you wait for an opening. Is constantly aggressive and desperate like you
>Cool ass atmosphere and design. A fucking mirror shield that summons phantoms holy shit
>Shield also blocks all your attacks and staggers the fuck out of you which punishes you for recklessly striking
>Telegraphs which lightning strike will have thunder waves or not if you pay enough attention
>Kick ass theme

THIS is what Souls is. I am glad there was a light at the end of the shithole that was Dragnleic castle. Iron Keep had two of the worst bosses in the game.

If only every boss was like this.
>>
I replayed it yesterday and it's rare for me to revisit a game and have an even more negative experience with it the second time. It's fucking terrible. The bosses were wooden and felt far less natural, the only boss that stood out in terms of AI and smoothness was Alonne, the rest were literally 'if player is close use a slash, if player far away charge'..majority of bosses were like that, just look at the Ancient Dragon.

>Oh but DS1 was unfinished in the second half

DS1 in its incomplete state is still 10x better than DS2 in it's complete state.

>>333663083
DS2's were just as bad, on top of that enemies spin 360 degrees to track you, this didn't exist in DS1; it relies completely on invincibility frames. Play the game with the lowest amount of agility possible and you will see how fucking retarded the hitboxes are.
>>
>>333665189
>Play the game with the lowest amount of agility possible and you will see how fucking retarded the hitboxes are.
I think you're conclusion is backwards, the hit boxes are "bad" because you dont have iFrames, thus you've been hit.
>>
How hard can it really be to make good hitboxes?

It's like fucking pre-3rd-gen Monster Hunter in here.
>>
Invincibility frames were a mistake.
Just look at these crybabies in this thread.
>>
>>333665116
>it isnt fun
It's plenty fun to me.

Once again, no actual reason beyond entitlement
>IT IS MY RIGHT TO HAVE IFRAMES ON MY ROLL
>>
File: 1430018604365.gif (675 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1430018604365.gif
675 KB, 480x270
Be honest with me, /v/.

How much of Dark Souls 3 has been spoiled to you already?

All I know about is the stuff from the Beta and trailers.
>>
can someone lend me their ps4 so I can play bloordborne ;-;
>>
>>333666525
I know about those faggy weeaboo weapons.
>>
>>333666525
Barely any.

I'm not even excited for it really. I pre-ordered the collectors edition once it got announced and basically stopped caring.

Bloodborne was kind of disappointing, and Dark Souls 2 was just a phoned in sequel.

Most of the stuff I've seen is really not sitting well with me either, like going back to Anor Londo just feels really lazy.
>>
>>333665182
>literally circle around back the boss fight
>awesome

Yeah... if you're a fucking moron.
>>
>>333666684
Honestly, from watching the streams it doesn't look that great. At this point it's just more of the same game rehashed over and over. I get it if people enjoy that, but my hype from the series is gone from the yearly sequels.
>>
>>333665182
>>333666787

dont listen to him op. i like looking glass too.
>>
File: cropped.png (523 KB, 719x565) Image search: [Google]
cropped.png
523 KB, 719x565
>>333666525
not much and what was I feel was out of context.
HOWEVER, LEGIT SPOILERS AHEAD you can always trust Trusty Patches
>>
>>333667001
Unbreakable Patches
>>
>>333655891
Does Dark Souls 3 have any Dark 2 story/lore continuation?
>>
>>333664883
Part of the problem is that it's hard to justify sinking resources into a stat when there's no determinable payoff.

Unlike every other stat, there's no visual aid to prove that upping AGL actually does anything. It's a stat based entirely on hidden numbers. It's also difficult to notice the improvements if you're levelling slowly, as you're getting one extra iframe at most.
>>
>>333667680
Trusty Unbreakable Patches the Hyena Spider
>>
>>333667001
Source of picture? Reverse image search isn't doing anything
>>
>>333668092
>when there's no determinable payoff.
What

90% of the complaints about hitboxes are because people don't have enough points in ADP.

But yes, I agree that it should be more transparent. But then again, all Souls games have an issue with not making it clear what your stats influence beyond basic shit like STR and DEX.
>>
>>333668407
jason robinson
http://imgur.com/gqhO2Bk
>>
File: 1457500783191.png (2 KB, 210x195) Image search: [Google]
1457500783191.png
2 KB, 210x195
>>333661846
DS1 used deaths as learning experiences. you're meant to get better. you're being trained to study the world and understand what the developers want from you.

DS2 feels random and haphazard with its enemy placement as though the team that made it completely misunderstood the point of dark souls. what do you learn from one room filled with multiple gigantic high poise knights that you didn't learn from the other room with multiple gigantic high poise knights? nothing. it's their attempt at making the game hard without even a basic idea of DS's design philosophy.
>>
>>333670605
Stop over selling the first game.
>>
File: fire lizard.png (92 KB, 542x361) Image search: [Google]
fire lizard.png
92 KB, 542x361
>>333670605
ds2 trained to study group fights and not rely on lock on.
>>
>>333668840
After reaching 7 ADP, you're getting 1 extra iframe at a time. If you're not levelling up ADP, quickly, or don't know the connection with iframes, you're probably not going to notice the extra 0.03 seconds on invulnerability.

At least the other stats give you hard numbers to show progress (however small it may be).
>>
Literally better than ANYTHING in bloodborne.>>333660513
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.