[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would games like DaS/Bloodborne be possible under western devs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: bloodborne by Ubisoft.jpg (106 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne by Ubisoft.jpg
106 KB, 1024x576
Would games like DaS/Bloodborne be possible under western devs? Or does the series stand contradictory to western dev philosophy?
>>
More cutscenes, less gameplay
>>
did you played lords of the fallen?
>>
I see no reason the west can't.
Lords Of The Fallen was apparently pretty bad, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for the west to make such a game.
>>
>>333623664
It's really fucking stupid to lump all sorts of game devs from the one-man passion project (Toady One) up all the way through huge AAA blockbuster corporations (EA) just because they're "Western." A good dev could come up with the Souls series and a bad dev could not.
>>
File: 1452057561556.png (1 MB, 820x950) Image search: [Google]
1452057561556.png
1 MB, 820x950
>>333623839
>I see no reason the west can't.
The west focus tests its games for maximum AAA market penetration. They don't have directors the same way that Japanese games do with a consistent vision. They have a "project lead" which is basically a publisher puppet that implements whatever results from their latest focus test.
>>
I think most AAA western devs have less creative freedom, when a superior wants something or shows them a statistic based on market result about something they'll have to add it
>>
File: putin-laughing.jpg (39 KB, 361x500) Image search: [Google]
putin-laughing.jpg
39 KB, 361x500
>>333623664
>western RPG
>good gameplay
>>
like who, EA? ubi?

fuck that shit.
>>
File: Jim Halpert.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
Jim Halpert.png
386 KB, 667x670
>>333624193
>SoulsBorne
>good gameplay
>>
>>333624276
In comparison to western RPGs? I'd say so.
>>
>>333623664
Actually I would appreciate an optional minimap
>>
>>333624391
That would kill so much of the exploration.
>>
File: Image.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>333624193
>>333624276
>gameplay
>>
>>333624276
Try spinning.
>>
Probably not, because western developers can't into strong mechanics, generally speaking.

This is super obvious in boss fights, boss fights are like the ultimate litmus test for if a game has strong, well thought out gameplay design.

Sadly western bosses almost always are annoying, cheap and complete damage sponges that are not exciting or fun to fight at all.
>>
>>333623664
Western developers have realized that lore is not an adequate replacement for story. If we can't relate to the character the lore doesn't matter. Doesn't mean they always deliver a good one.
>>
File: boss.jpg (986 KB, 1284x2968) Image search: [Google]
boss.jpg
986 KB, 1284x2968
>>333624629
>>
>>333624629
Indeed, I honestly can`t remember good bosses in western games. Can anyone name some? I recall Bionic Commando 2009 and Rearmed having good ones, what else?
>>
>>333624583
>now if i combine these three potions with this specific build i can cheese this one boss in this one specific part of the map
>>
>>333624948
>i-i-it's just one fight
>>
>>333624948
>I can cheese everything in any part of the map

ftfy
>>
>>333624276
>look at me i'm a contrarian anon on a contrarian board

chop off your dick and fry it. don't forget the garnish when it's served.
>>
>>333624913
This might be an unpopular opinion but Destiny

Despite the games numerous and crippling flaws, the raids have some of the best encounter design in a FPS of all time.
>>
>>333624913
I kinda enjoyed the final boss of Saints Row 4
>>
What's ironic is how Jrpgs (especially dungeon crawlers.) were modeled after Wrpgs, but for some reason the West has completely forgotten how to make a proper rpg with actual gameplay. Modern wrpgs are all about "immersion" which often strips the game of anything that could be labeled as a ruleset in favor of a game that resembles more of a simulator rather than a rpg.

>>333624913
Classic Western rpgs that followed Baldur's Gate's design style used to have plenty of good boss fights.
God of War 2 had some badass boss fights for a Western game. The qte doesn't bother me much, because they functioned the same exact way as Metal Gear Rising's QTE. (They're just finishing moves after you already killed the boss.)

Too bad Gow 3 & Ascension were both ass. I still can't decide which one was worse. Probably Ascension. GOW 3 at least had the the first half of the Zeus fight which played like a fighting game.

>>333624629
I hate how Western made boss fights are often built around attacking glowing weak points that take forever to spawn. When a boss is designed around weakpoints in a Jap game, the boss is often designed around high mobility or defense.
>>333624774
>He thinks games need story.

Lore & setting is far more important because they implicate story without wasting your time with one. A game should actually be played, not watched. I don't mind having a story, but it's just not needed.
>>
>>333623664
Westerners don't market their games to hardcore, as much fluff they'll shove down marketing they will always pander to common denominator of casuals, just look at success of Wii during the mobile surge, casual gaming is the way, thus it's designed that way.

Also less effort to put into difficulty and intelligent design for favour of graphical lands is the way the West operates.
>>
>>333628010
Also to add, this is reflective of PS4 sales and that this gen has been about Multi-plats. They'd rather put the effort to make sure their game is playable on all platforms, instead of taking that development time onto creating a better experience, and using that success to eventually port over.
>>
>>333623664
Most western devs dont get easy and good controlling fun, fast paced, exciting combat... they never have, the dont even get animation in these kinda games.
>>
>>333623664
Reminds me of the Fable series.
>>
>>333623664
also western devs dont get what makes compelling boss battles.
>>
>>333623798
Yes, it was mediocre.
>>
>>333624785
I don't think armstrong of all the MGR bosses should be on that picture here, not to say the fight with him isn't fucking amazing, but it's the one fight out of all the bosses that has the most interrupted gameplay
>>
>>333623664
Western devs don't do melee combat with meaningful animations, period.

It always ends up with FPS melee for some unfathomable reason, and is a hot mess. There are some exceptions to this, but not many.
>>
>>333623664
Western games have to be copies of other successful games. Now that Dark Souls has been successful, western devs can makes games similar to it.
>>
>>333624583
Seriously western action games are obsessed with insane footwork.
>>
>>333624103
This. It's both a strength and a weakness that Japanese vidya developers, like the vast majority of Japanese businesses, have a top-down company structure and development process.
There's one guy at the top and he makes all the decisions. While tasks are delegated, decision-making is not.

This can result into very cohesive products, but it can also result into megalomania where a director loses complete touch with his dev team or the public. Miyamoto is a good example of this kind of fall from grace.
>>
I play jap games for gameplay and stories
I play western games for immersion

Japs generally suck at immersion due to wacky characters and forced narrative, while the west falls short on crisp/innovative gameplay and nearly always have generic storylines as if it were there out of necessity rather than a primary drive of the game.

Souls games are actually one of the few game franchises I've played to succeed in all three fields, which is why in my opinion they deserve a lot of their praise.

On topic, I don't think western devs can into a title like the souls games.
>>
>>333623664

Perhaps in the days of the 80s
>>
it would be like the order 1886
we all know how that turned out
>>
>>333623664
I'm pretty sure even western devs would remove all of those "objectives" except for getting your souls back and a generic "Open the three gates" objective that would update with every gate unlocked. Also, since there's already a system in place for showing you're full of a certain item, they wouldn't bother with the holding maximum amount of X notification, or the flavor text after saying you got 4 bullets.

Everything else is probably pretty spot on though
>>
>>333623664

no its always been a jap genre

see super ghouls and ghosts 20 years ago
>>
>>333630684
So you have never played a strategy game, a non action rpg or an fps in your life?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.