[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just watched this GDC talk about commercializing emulation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: ice-example.jpg (193 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
ice-example.jpg
193 KB, 1440x900
I just watched this GDC talk about commercializing emulation for the sake of preservation, and it got me thinking...

Would you pay for a Spotify/Netflix type service which gave access to complete libraries of emulated classic console games?

Here's the talk if anyone is interested: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023470/-It-s-Just-Emulation
>>
No.
>>
I suppose I'd have to when they inevitably send out the C&Ds to every emulation site to make room for it.
>>
>>333592304
>Nintendo games
>Ever on anyother platform

Could maybe be possible now that their are on the smarthphone shit. Lets see into 200 more hundred years when Nintendo dies.
>>
>>333592304
Maybe, if the companies actually provide the same kind of support for the games on this service as they do for newly released games.
>>
>>333592304
kek you fuckin spastic I have retroarch on my phone and my computer and my wii they'll take my free consoles from my cold dead hands
>>
>>333592304
> It's just emulation
But i thought it was criterion collection tier full blown remake?

sure
>>
>complete libraries

impossible, that would be legal hell, especially considering many of the developers/publishers are long since dead
>>
>>333592770
If you are talking about bugfixing and such, I doubt it would be possible since the source code for many of the old games is lost, not to say anything about defunct developer studios
>>
>>333592304
It's not a bad idea, OP, as long as the games are guaranteed to run. I suppose the main point would be to remove the sometimes really annoying fiddling with the emulator settings.

But no, I don't think I would.

It's not a bad service idea though and I can see plenty of people wanting to nostalgia their way to easy gaming.
>>
>all those guys who created emulators
>big companies steals their codes
>uses it to make money
>the devs can't even make money off their emulation code
Just please no. Please fucking stop killing hobbies..
>>
Just like GOG uses DosBox to provide a neat and easy to play package with extras, the same could be done for old console and arcade games using MAME/MESS, with minimal cost to the original publishers. It's basically free money for them.

It would have to be a subscription or at a very low cost though, I doubt people would pay $10 for an emulated NES game.
>>
>>333592304
No. I´m not paying anything for games I already own, to play them in a inferior version.
I´m not trying to shittalk emulators, I love emulation, but no one can claim that you are getting 100% the same game when playing on an emulator (even with higan).

And seeing the accuracy of commercial emulators (sony´s ps1 emu / mednafen) it´s even less appealing
>>
>>333592304
Or you can just like, y'know, torrent them
>>
>>333592304
No, its already free you mong
>>
>>333595229
This.
>>
>>333592304
yesterday I saw a bundle that includes 3-4 games which I remember were original snes titles

and it is true, they are selling those games in steam, five bucks a pop, packed with an emulator

go peep: bundlestars: fully-loaded-3-bundle
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.