[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your favorite turn based RPGs and what are your favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1459916155427.png (17 KB, 917x477) Image search: [Google]
1459916155427.png
17 KB, 917x477
What are your favorite turn based RPGs and what are your favorite battle and gameplay mechanics in them?
What makes turn based RPGs fun to you?
What is the ideal party size?
>>
Paper Mario I guess.

>>333568156
Are there any games with an art style similar to this gondola pic?
>>
File: 1459985195436.jpg (79 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459985195436.jpg
79 KB, 640x640
Finally fantasy 7

Front mission 1

Fallout 1-2

Turn based isometric with sprites only plx
>>
>>333568156
Earthbound/Fallout 1/2
Idk why, i guess I just like them because I suck at other games. I thought the battle system in fallout 1/2 was awwright for a turn based rpg.
Ideal party size: 1 - 5 people. no more, because then it just becomes too much to handle, and you can't care about the characters as much.
>>
Suikoden.
I don't know, the unite attacks helped give a reason to use a variety of parties when there were so many to choose from a player might otherwise ignore a lot of them.
And the army battles added a different perspective to the combat.
Party size of 6 (the only Suikoden titles that changed this were worse off for it).
>>
Speaking purely in terms of gameplay mechanics, Bravely Default kind of perfected the turn based JRPG formula in most ways.
>>
>>333571093
While I generally agree, they really didn't think out some of the moves.
>>
>>333568156
that's a nice gondola you got there
>>
>>333568156
what game is that?
>>
File: Coffee.jpg (69 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Coffee.jpg
69 KB, 1024x576
Generall any RPG that knows to keep a story light. I know we've gotten into a habit of throwing 10+ hours of cutscenes into a game because it's a "Tradition" but it's one that's led most games to rely on fancy graphics and voice acting and getting you to the next scripted set piece as soon as possible, without much rewarding gameplay. A game doesn't need so much bloat and filler if it can take what it has and apply it efficiently. What do i mean? Think of it this way: a game could tell me that I'm supposed to feel bad by showing a little girl crying or having characters tell me their feelings. OR the game could have something happen in-game that directly affects my enjoyment, maybe by taking an important party member away, or destroying an item I sought for so long, or showing me the actual plight of the characters, instead of it being simply implied. In short, let me do the feeling, and don't tell me what to feel.

Mario RPG
Paper Mario
Superstar Saga
Chrono trigger to an extent
The Desolate Hope
etc

All games i'd consider top notch.
>>
Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, while not at the top are also both up there with my favorites.

I've been coming to realize that interesting characters is a really high factor for me.

When people list FF8's faults, I rarely see anyone mention the boring characters. We go from interesting unique casts that include things like ninjas and a talking fire lion to an entire cast of high school students on a field trip with their teacher.
>>
>>333568156
That facertain when adjusting to having THREE party members in Mario and luigi
>>
>>333568156
>you will never go to Gondola's noodle shop after a hard day working a thankless job for a faceless megacorp
>>
>>333568156
For a single-character RPG, Age of Decadence has a quite a bit of depth in its combat mechanics. What they did especially well was make different weapons actually require different tactics, e.g. with a long spear you're at a disadvantage in-doors but if you fight outside you can keep even large groups of enemies at a distance since spears come with a passive chance to interrupt enemies in their turn when they try to move too close to the spear-wielder. Daggers on the other hand come with many attacks per round which however do poor damage unless specifically aimed to circumvent armour, so the player needs to first spend a few turns crippling the enemy by attacking arms and legs, and then focus on aimed attacks to take the enemy down, etc.

I'd also recommend Knights of the Chalice, which has really nice turn-based D&D mechanics.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.