[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the cyberdust has settled, what does /v/ think of Xenoblade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 20
File: Xenoblade X.jpg (473 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Xenoblade X.jpg
473 KB, 1920x1080
Now that the cyberdust has settled, what does /v/ think of Xenoblade X?
>>
File: 1457374460899.png (76 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1457374460899.png
76 KB, 250x187
>>
>>333542258
Decent but disappointing.

Perfect example of unnecessary multiplayer ruining a game.
>>
It's fun to play, but overall just feels like a setup to a sequel that may well never exist
>>
GOTY 2015
>>
File: Full Metal Jaguar.jpg (818 KB, 1673x2454) Image search: [Google]
Full Metal Jaguar.jpg
818 KB, 1673x2454
>>333542258
Great game and interesting premise for future sequels I fucking hope it has because if it doesn't that ending was fucking bullshit I tell you hwat

Also the soundtrack is fucking great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwebAhgpnxw

Also what >>333544392 said
>>
>>333544896
Best song coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwT-S0Fb4LM
>>
>>333544896
I hope it never gets a sequel. I'd rather new IP from Monolithsoft than waste years more on this joke.
>b-but cliffhanger
and if there was anything remotely interesting or likable about the characters or story then I would care.
>>
>>333545895
This. Absolutely this. I actually dislike every character, especially Elma, Lin, Tatsu & Lao.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>333543282
>>
This game is proof that 100 hours of content doesn't automatically mean a great game.

The pacing is ridiculously slow, The game does a terrible job of explaining its mechanics, majority of the missions are dull fetch quests, the story is lackluster. And this was my most anticipated game of 2015.

Soooo disappointing.
>>
>>333546075
even lara nara and lara mara?
>>
>>333546435
id argue that its just a large portion of the quests (about 1/3) are fetch quests. others are either equally tedious "kill x number of monsters" quests or "kill this special monster" quests that are either pointlessly easy or endgame hard. However, there is also a fair amount of content related to actual side quests that i thought were satisfying and charming.
>>
I spent more time playing Rocket League than this game.
>>
>>333542258
Forgettable paper thin characters, thin story, campy & mawkish soundtrack, good gameplay, great world design, exploration is neat.

7.5/10. Original is still better because the dogshit characters, story and 85% of the soundtrack in XCX really soured my feelings on the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 404x559) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 404x559
>>333542258
Could've been better if scrapped ideas were applied
>>
>>333542258
Is it possible to kill Telethia the Endbringer with Ares90? He kills me with 1 or 2 hits. I had no trouble with other tyrants when I use Ares 90.
>>
>>333546735
Reina sakuraba is best girl
>>
>>333546638
I spent more time playing solitaire than any other games, ever. Not really indicative of anything.
>>
>>333546435
>This game is proof that 100 hours of content doesn't automatically mean a great game.

Words of wisdom there. The amount of people saying this is GOTY material because of that figure was just ridiculous. And this was in reaction to prelaunch reviews.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 404x559) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 404x559
>>333546735
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 404x556) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 404x556
>>333546906
>>
>>333546872
Not really a counter comparison, Solitare didn't release in the same year as those games.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 404x556) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 404x556
>>333546992
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 404x556) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 404x556
>>333547083
>>
It's a good game. But since this is a game developed by Takahashi I expected a little bit more story wise. But the world building that the quests give you is pretty damn good though .
>>
Psst
Celica is best girl
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 404x572) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 404x572
>>333547185
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 404x556) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 404x556
>>333547283
>>
File: pl0cqbk.jpg (408 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pl0cqbk.jpg
408 KB, 1280x720
>>333545885
nope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDyIooHmTWg&list=RDQDyIooHmTWg&nohtml5=False
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 404x556) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 404x556
>>333547391
>>
>>333547250
And the wind blows hard in december
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 404x579) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 404x579
>>333547492
>>
File: the superior form.jpg (82 KB, 589x400) Image search: [Google]
the superior form.jpg
82 KB, 589x400
>>333547250
That's not how you spell Phog.
>>
If I hated Xenoblade Chronicles will I like this? I honestly could not stand the topple simulator combat and the characters and story felt like generic anime tropes.
Music and setting was god tier though.
>>
>>333542258
I got rid of it before I even got a mech to be honest. The game is really fucking better and I doubt it would get any better with a mech.
>>
File: Blood Lobster.jpg (445 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Blood Lobster.jpg
445 KB, 1280x720
>>333547475
Please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q_ftLl7IgI
>>
>>333547831
The gameplay is more or less the same and the characters have even less originality. The music is of a mixed opinion, but most people agree a handful of songs are shit. Setting is elder god tier though.
Also mechs.
Can't go wrong with mechs
>>
File: 1458434822833.jpg (123 KB, 380x427) Image search: [Google]
1458434822833.jpg
123 KB, 380x427
>>333547641
Ah good, someone can spell it right.
>>
>>333547831
>If I hated Xenoblade Chronicles will I like this?
No.
>>
>>333547831
I hated Xenoblade Chronicles because of some annoying things in the gameplay (unskipable visions, weird sidequest log, etc..). Xenoblade X is a better game.
>>
>>333548495
I had the opposite reaction. I really loved Xenoblade Chronicles so picking up X seemed like a sure thing. While there are things about X I enjoy, I wound up playing through Chronicles again on my DS.
>>
Great art design, lots of customization, good music, and some interesting storylines

Combat is a hit or a miss. Comboing and attacks look and feel great, but after a bit there's not much variety in tactics. Fights go on a bit too long too.

Some songs are horrible. There's way too many menial quests in comparison to quests with storylines. The "ending" sucks. Voice acting is so-so.
>>
>>333542258
Overall I don't think it's a great game. The combat is terrible, the music is mediocre, the story is boring, the characters are annoying, and the world, which is one of the main reasons I bought the game, got old way too fast. As some of the other anons in this thread said, large amounts of content does not make a good game.
>>
>>333542258

Pretty bad. I'm not sure where people are getting notions of "Great game" or "GOTY" when it's mediocre or downright bad on just about every front. I was hoping it would be Xenoblade Chronicles+, a sequel that really surpasses it's original, since I also ended up dropping that game out of boredom, but at least in that one I was interested in the setting, music, and I liked some of the characters. No such luck with X.
>>
I don't understand how they made characters that after 40 hours really fucking irritated me. Literally bog-standard anime stereotypes. I fucking hate Elma Lin Tatsu & Lao. The antagonists are fucking shite. Luxaar is one of the most forgettable antagonists to ever grace an RPG. I used to trust in Takahashi... I hope I can trust in him again with Xenoblade 3 but for everything X does right, there's another two things that really annoy me or I dislike.
>>
a bunch of autists got hilariously butthurt over clothing on a virtual potato
>>
>>333548495
Also X does feel less linear than Chronicles which is a good thing (at least for me). I almost gave up at Mechonis Field because this place was so boringly linear.
>>
>>333542258
Best MMO I've ever played, really.

I was quite fond of all the side quests. I mean, most of the actual quests themselves were pretty bullshit but I liked how there were so many stories to tell. Seeing so many characters and so many interesting sub plots was really great.

I also liked it when they had a further impact, like when I accidentally killed a helicopter pilot and made his co-pilot live with the loneliness forever. It was so bizarre accidentally running into that NPC on the street again because I was expecting them to only exist for that one side-quest.

Honestly the world felt pretty alive to me. It's one of my favourite Wii-U games. It has it's problems of course but I don't regret playing it at all.
>>
>>333550136
Nothing bad with linearity of Xenoblade. It's not like it's a hallway like in XIII.
>>
>>333550252
>I also liked it when they had a further impact, like when I accidentally killed a helicopter pilot and made his co-pilot live with the loneliness forever.

Damn, that's sad because I remember they were always at odds with each other, but deep down she must have really cared about him.
>>
>>333550438
She realises what an idiot she was for fighting with him and how much she liked him now that he's dead, if I recall. But she uses her grief as motivation to do better next time, so this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

I also liked all the Prone quests. It was interesting. After killing them for so long, having them as allies and seeing what their culture is like was fascinating to me.

I will however complain about the music. Some songs will send me fucking insane if I stay in an area too long, like [almost the entirety of Noctilum]
>>
>>333550731
Yeah, the smaller sidequests were really awesome. I especially liked the ones that dealt with the Orphe. Really good stuff.

Sawano is a bit shit desu. Never been a fan. The soundtrack is campy & mawkish as fuck.
>>
>>333551091
Some of the sidequests that stand out is when different races interact with each other, like the Prone woman trying to grow another tree of souls or whatever only for a Orphe to eat it. There was also that racist cult quest as well as the one where everything went into horror movie territory when alien spawns starting hatching inside of people.
>>
So how good should we expect the next xeno game to be?
>>
>storyline ends literally as soon as it starts getting interesting
>Cross, Elma, and Lin forced into the party at all times, leaving you no time to level-up any other party members
>all sorts of cool and fleshed-out races, but the only playable ones are the last of their kind
>postgame is literally nothing but grinding for drops

That said, I still loved the shit out of it, and am looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles Y on the NX.
>>
Japanese Skyrim
>>
>>333551669
>like the Prone woman trying to grow another tree of souls or whatever only for a Orphe to eat it.
That quest chain is one of my favourites. Along with Professor B's quests.

Yeah, the one at the purification plant with Ajoa is great too. I unfortunately didn't save her because I allowed her to take a shower, lol. I'm doing another run of XCX, so once I reach that quest I want to save her this time.

Also didn't save a Wrothian in Cauldros either.
>>
Grind a thon supreme
>>
I loved it right up until I got the Skell. It was the esoteric names of weapons and having to buy upgrades for it that helped kill it, I think. Most of the reason I liked the game was the ground combat and levelling system, and the Skell tossed half the interesting stuff out the window.
>>
>>333542258
A video game with a massive alien world to explore with giant robots was a childhood fantasy of mine so I utterly adored it.
>>
>>333552229
come on anon skyrim is good
>>
>>333543924
was that the issue? I thought it was a bunch of other things.
>>
>>333552229
Personally to me, it felt more like a Japanese Mass Effect (at least in terms of all the ayy lmaos interactions)
>>
I don't get how in 2016 you can fuck up faces that bad. They're really weird and inexpressive looking, they could have copied any number of character creation systems and wound up with better faces.
>>
GotY, but considering what else was released last year, that's actually not saying a whole lot.
>>
>>333552263
different anon from the other one you were talking to. just chiming in to say when you get to that quest, make sure to find the red shiny drop nearby before going to the target area. they live and fall in lesbians ever after instead of dying with regret
>>
File: 1411291283770.jpg (62 KB, 279x423) Image search: [Google]
1411291283770.jpg
62 KB, 279x423
Gripes I had:

>Lin and Elma are mandatory for 90% of story shit
No reason to take them out of your party until the post game.
I didn't dislike them. But I disliked how I HAD to use them all the time.

>Skells were underwhelming
Don't get me wrong, it was satisfying as FUCK when you finally got your first skell after 20-30-odd hours of teasing.
Even better when you get the flight module (sans the awful OVER THE RAINBOW constantly fading in and out as you shift from ground to air).

However, Skell combat was a huge downgrade from on-foot combat due to the removal of secondary cooldowns and the completely arbitrary CD resets breaking the flow of combat.
It literally was just mash everything off cooldown.
It sucks because Skells are mandatory for most of the higher-level stuff unless you do some autistic minmax overdrive abuse shit.

>multiplayer was pointless
Every mission was too easy. Stuff died in a matter of seconds, and stuff died in A second if skells were allowed.
I'd love to see them attempt a PSO-style sequel with the combat, because that's essentially what the multiplayer mission structure was like.

At worst I'd give it a 7/10.
At best I'd give it a 9/10.
Then again, I'm very generous and biased with games I play. Since I never buy blind and know I'm gonna like the game from the offset.
>>
>>333555216
>multiplayer was pointless
This. We could've had better story but instead that was sacrificed for half assed multiplayer
>>
>They didn't take a hour to farm Tethy to get a Ares 90

Aside the super bosses it one shots everything it's fucking great

Can't wait to craft a Zenith Cannon for even more OP Skell shenanigans.
>>
>>333547475
This song is amazing until that wailing woman cuts in.
>>
File: Tatsu_shades.jpg (114 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Tatsu_shades.jpg
114 KB, 800x450
http://strawpoll.me/7310149
>>
>>333542258
Excellent. Much better than the previous game, and arguably one of the best Xeno games overall.
>>
>>333545895
>>333546075
The characters in X are underdeveloped but still far more likeable than anyone in Xenoblade Wii, save maybe Dunban.
>>
File: mira.jpg (318 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
mira.jpg
318 KB, 720x479
>really enjoying playing through story
>cant wait to get to end-game and git gud
>that korean f2p mmo tier grind
>thiskillsthefun.jpg
stopped playing about 20 hours into endgame, just couldn't handle it
>>
>>333559132
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the post-game grind either. Still I got 90 hours out of the game and everything up until that point was great.
>>
>>333559132
End game is for rounding up sidequests and affinity missions, you shouldn't got for 100% completion unless you're really autistic about it.
>>
>>333560280
I just wanted the BiS gear. I couldn't solo the hard challenges

>need X gear piece
>X needs Y
>Y need Z
>Z need A
>repeat forever
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.