[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are turn based RPGs obsolete? >decide to play FFVII since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: images (7).jpg (12 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
12 KB, 284x177
Are turn based RPGs obsolete?

>decide to play FFVII since I never played it
>can't get over how slow turn based combat is

I grew up playing the old Final Fantasy games on the Super Nintendo and other turn based RPGs, but I can honestly say I've had a lot more fun with ARPGs like Bloodborne and The Division.

Is there any reason to bring turn based RPG combat back other than nostalgia?
>>
>>333535045
>Are turn based RPGs obsolete?
No it's not obsolete. It still has a fanbase.

>can't get over how slow turn based combat is
Turn the battle speed up. If you still don't like it these games aren't for you and never was no matter how much you want to believe it.
>>
>>333535045
No, they are not.

You are just ADHD, and like so many Xbox-generationers, only focused on combat.
This action-oriented evaluation and designing of RPGs has literally killed the ROLE-PLAYING part of the genre, transforming them into mere glorified hack & slash games in most parts. The Witcher series saw the most extreme makeover between 1st and 2nd game, with the latter being literally designed for console DaS and AssCreed fans, instead of CRPG fans.
>>
>>333535448
Thankfully, the ps4 version of FF7 does have a speed up option, but it still doesn't excuse how uninteresting combat is.

I used to enjoy these games, but ARPGs just make turn based combat feel like a hassle
>>
>>333535516
Ok, so what makes pressing an attack button over and over again so much better than hack and slashing? It really doesn't add anything to the game
>>
>>333535516
>being literally designed for console DaS and AssCreed fans
So what's the problem? Those franchises aren't the same on consoles?
>>
If turn-based combat is obsolete, then shooting people from behind cover is damn-near prehistoric, considering Space Invaders pre-dates Ultima by at least ten years. I do think that a lot of companies that make turn-based RPGs are completely averse to making improvements on the system (we still have to scroll down long lists instead of using radial menus and better controller layouts), but there's nothing inherently wrong or "outdated" to turn-based combat. Done right, as in the Shin Megami Tensei series, it can require a lot of strategy and understanding of the underlying systems. Some games do devolve into mashing X over and over, but the same can be said of action games that are as poorly-designed.
>>
>>333535936
>done right like SMT
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>333535936
>implying Space Invaders is comparable to GoW
>>
Here's the real question: ATB or no ATB.

ATB can be alright, but in general, I prefer no ATB.
>>
>>333535809
Turn based combat requires planning, strategy and resource management. The difficulty and depth doesn't come from the act of selecting your command.
>>
>>333535661
>but it still doesn't excuse how uninteresting combat is.
Again, not for you. I find the combat very interesting even comfy.

>I used to enjoy these games, but ARPGs just make turn based combat feel like a hassle

Things change, we change. But that doesn't equate to making things obsolete. You found something that fit your style, good. But don't run around bitching about how something doesn't appeal to you now or then.

>>333535809
You're just looking for an argument. Just go play The Division.
>>
>>333535809
>Ok, so what makes pressing an attack button over and over again so much better than hack and slashing?
did I say it makes it somehow better?
Apples and oranges. Two designs for two totally different genres, moods, and players.

In my books, that's like comparing platformers to first-person shooters: fucking idiotic.

If I had to give a "point" to the turn-based / ATB combat systems, it is to provide impressive LOOKING action, in a mostly story-driven game. It appeals to people who are looking for more mental challenge, tactical thinking and pre-planning, instead of muscle-memorization and split-second reaction times.

>>333535864
>So what's the problem?
The Witcher's sequels suck major ass, and just about every aspect sans graphics got downgraded to hell.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (137 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg
137 KB, 800x800
>>333536068
NEVER EVER
>>
>>333535661
>Thankfully, the ps4 version of FF7 does have a speed up option
I want to brutally murder and violate the corpses of the people who thought putting that and all the other cheats available in the re-releases was a good idea and acceptable.
>>
>>333536159
I'm arguing in favor of turn-based combat, but I've never liked the ATB system. It removes elements of strategy without offering anything in return. I should be punished for not prioritizing healing in a fight, not for being unable to scroll down to a healing spell before the boss gets a cheap hit in.
>>
>>333536242
Never ever what? I don't ever play shit games twice. SMT is garbage, one of the worst JRPG series even considering the crap like Nep
>>
>>333536193
And you blame consoles for that? Honestly, if you talked about controls you might have had a point there. There are good games out there that fit both platforms, you know.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.