[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What games convey a true sense of adventure and exploration?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
What games convey a true sense of adventure and exploration? I'm talking something that makes me feel like I'm in the Fellowship of the Ring, where it takes actual preparation to go out and places seem far and the road is hard.

The only game that gives me this feeling is Runescape, because there you are not a chosen one or the reincarnation of a god, you're just one more adventurer and going out means you need to bring food and the items you might need. Somehow a literal point and click game does this better than any other RPG I have played.
>>
>>333520535
Vanilla wow
Oh wait. Too bad blizzard is run by faggots
>>
File: 1405414353403.jpg (484 KB, 1500x810) Image search: [Google]
1405414353403.jpg
484 KB, 1500x810
Dragon's Dogma, kinda. Sometimes, but not often, you can embark on trips that take several days, get lost in woods, get scared in the night and get surprised by monsters.

Though at some point you'll realize that the world isn't so big and you are too powerful to fear anything anymore. So don't be disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be what you wanted.
>>
>>333522142
I never really liked WoW that much. I played it during Cataclysm and sure it was addictive but after a while that wore off. All I did was run the same dungeon ad nauseum to get a drop I wanted
>>
>>333522828
Vanilla wow was about questing and wondering around. The game felt immense and because of the threat of someone attacking in PvP or or mobs being too powerful to defeat, you had to make contacts who you quested with. There was no dungeon finder either. Too bad buzzard is shutting down the only good vanilla server
>>
>>333522817
Yea I agree. /v/ overhyped the shit out of this before it released on Pc. Fuck you I almost bought a Ps3 for this shit.
>>
>>333520535
>>333522828
>>333523331
>MUH MMO
kill yourselves
>>
>>333520535
Skyrim
-no fast travel
-iNeed
-Frostfalll
-ENB options for darker nights (you can only travel with light or else you dont see anything.
-enhanced damage for both you and the enemy (I put it at 3x, you usually die in 2-3 clean hits but they do as well)
-Other mods that enhance the immersion
-Limited carry weight if you want
-Immersive patrols (makes the world feel alive while you are travelling)

Thats how I play, no need for some buggy gameplay rework like Requiem, I literally roll from hold to hold completing quests, selling my wares as soon as I arrive in a new town and making travel preparations like food, water and potions, stay at inns or put a camp to rest in the night. I also highly recommed a pure archery or magic build with this setup, no amount of mods is going to fix skyrim combat.
>>
>>333523656
It's still a great game, the overworld is just lacking. But on these journey the game shines.
>>
>>333520535
hopefully no man's sky
>>
>>333523331
It was about getting the best gear which consisted of running the same dungeons over and over and perhaps include crafting and lucky drops.

Face it the only reason why it ever was about "questing and wandering around" is because the lack of knowledge for the game. Every game that will come out already has a fucking walthrough. Get the nostalgia out of your head.
>>
>>333523917
Well I wasn't asking about MMOs specifically faggot. It just happens that MMOs have bigger worlds with a greater sense of adventuring. But you are welcome to recommend a single player game, which I actually prefer.

>>333524042
I play on a shitty laptop that can only run Skyrim in lowest settings while still shitting itself. I mainly play on consoles, don't hate me.
>>
>>333520535
KKC volume 3 NEVER EVER
KKC videogame adaption NEVER EVER
>>
>>333524042
>Skyrim
>-no fast travel

I always found this a pretty dry advice. The game is made with fast travel in mind, the developers knew that the player will be teleporting across the map at checkpoints. As such they paid far less attention to making areas besides those checkpoints actually interesting.

You'd be inclined to think that not using fast travel out of your own volition will make the game more immersive, but it's not gonna add more areas, NPCs, encounters or secrets to explore.(Then there already is) You'll just be walking.
I wish they didn't change it from how it was in Morrowind, but gotta broaden that audience, you don't become a multimillion dollar franchise by making a game more complex.
>>
>>333524748
Same goes for marks on the map.
I understand that in some quests it makes sense, that the NPC you talked to may know exactly where cave X is and shows you.

But you get a magical marker for everything in this game, instead of detailed description in your journal you have to follow.
>>
>>333524054
I would put it about as good as two worlds 2 but that's not bad I really liked two worlds.
>>
Star Wars kotor and oblivion
>>
>>333524748
I never fast travel, I actually enjoy walking and seeing the world and at least Skyrim had some events. In Fallout 4 I have only found 2 encounters and I doubt there's any others but I always enjoy walking around and stumbling into places I otherwise wouldn't like the crashed planes.
>>
>>333520535
Gothic 2 easily.

Play Gothic 1 to get more sense of "holy shit" when you reach a part of Gothic 2.

Ultima VII if you ignore the part where you are the avatar, pretty fucking good game of exploration.

If you want MMOs, Tibia on a huge PVP server.

And the last one i would say Minecraft, dunno if that 5+ year old server is still kicking but man you get that sense of how much time has passed in that server, it was 2bt or some shit like that, but i went there and you can feel how Kingdoms and Fortresses has been built and destroyed and how reckless players has been with nature and it feels like a wasteland.
>>
>>333520535
FF12
>>
File: Daggerfall_Cover_art.gif (46 KB, 288x363) Image search: [Google]
Daggerfall_Cover_art.gif
46 KB, 288x363
pic related is generally my go to for adventuring type stuff. Fast travel might detract from the whole travel process, but gathering your gear from your home and travelling into a world so large that its likely you could come across a dungeon that no one else has explored is pretty fun.
>>
Hyper Light Drifter
>>
>>333524042
this, I played skyrim with an enormous amount of mods and its pretty much the only game that fits what the op has described
>>
>>333528419
just to add to this, I have heard good things about the risen franchise but havent played it yet
>>
>>333524582
tfw you didn't like the second book
tfw you're only interested in a third book to find out what's in the fucking box
>>
>>333528518
i recently played through the first one. the map isn't really that big but they do a good job of making it feel larger with elevation changes and a couple decent dungeons.

only took me 40 hours to beat entirely tho.
>>
The Long Dark is pretty great to feel like exploring and adventuring. especially if you don't look up a map for the game and discover it all on your own.

i'm currently prepping for a long trip in the game from a cabin i'm using as a base. working on crafting good clothes from wild animal skins before embarking.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.