[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did /v/ like this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 1920x1080
Did /v/ like this game?
>>
/v/ doesn't like things
>>
I like it, but playing it is very stressing.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7305774

The deciding factor. We end this once and for all.
>>
>>333511268
It was okay. It was trying a little too much to be like Alien, but it had some good moments.

Fuck the length and that pre-order DLC though. I wanted to see the whole Nostromo segment get unlocked after you beat the main game as an unlockable.
>>
I played it with god mode turned on
>>
>>333511268
I played the first 4-ish hours but it's sitting in my steam library because it's extremely stressful to play. Great sound design, fantastic mouse control, pretty visuals. I'm too much of a pussy to finish it though.
>>
I liked it quite a bit. Atmosphere and environment were spot on, although they changed very little over the course of the game.
Difficulty on Nightmare was a good challenge, certain parts were utter horse shit but overall it was fairly well done. I found myself hoping the alien would just go the fuck away every opportunity, it legit stressed me out at times.
>>
File: 1428376478854s.jpg (172 KB, 1447x937) Image search: [Google]
1428376478854s.jpg
172 KB, 1447x937
>>333511268
>Did /v/ like this game?
/v/ is not a collective consciousness

I loved the visuals, sound design, atmosphere and intense segments like the medbay or hive

On the other hand I thought that the human enemies sucked dick, story was predictable and forgettable, crafting seemed completely tacked on and overall the game felt really drawn out because of poor pacing, a lack of variety and the constant fakeout endings during the final stretch
>>
>>333512581
I agree the story was kind of weak, but I didn't go in expecting a story oriented game.

The only times it felt kinda hollow was whenever one of your crew died, because half the time I couldn't even remember who they were.

AI is also a complaint of mine, I fucking hated it when a security dude tells his buddys to shut the fuck up because the ayyy is nearby, then still proceeds to shoot on sight and fuck us both over.

Visuals and optimization were amazing, my friend could run it on a toaster and it still looked beautiful. I guess the closed environments had something to do with that, but I was still amazed they could make it look so good on such a weak machine.
>>
>>333513485
The great optimization seems even crazier when considering the fact that the devs primarily worked on strategy games before
>>
The alien AI is too good, the game becomes very stressing especially because there's lots of backtracking
>>
>>333514461

Strategy games are the hardest to optimize, especially on the CPU's end
>>
>>333511268
Yeah, it was my first Alien video game and I wasn't disappointed. It's just really REALLY long or feels that way.
>>
File: Many-Working-Joes.jpg (188 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Many-Working-Joes.jpg
188 KB, 1920x1080
One of the best games I've ever played, went in playing it on it's hardest difficulty and loved every second of it.
It's the definition of true survival horror, item conservation, sneaking, few items in general, and the need to not run around guns blazing.
Many tense moments of being followed and chased that I haven't felt since Resident Evil 3 came out back in 1999.

Best segment and most stressful experience is when you need to give up all of your weapons and you go up against those new bio hazard suit wearing working joes, no more one shot kills with a grenade and it was much worse when you saw that there were at least 10 of them in that area.

This game is a 9/10 for me personally and probably my 2014 GOTY. I've unlocked every achievement for this game except for the no death run which I might finally decide to conquer this weekend.
>>
>>333511268
Game is so fucking tedious i just stopped playing. It also go boring and too repetitive early
>>
I really liked the first part of the game, then I was dissapointed, impressed again and them I just forced myself to finish the game. My main complain is that pretty much all the traps are useless, supposedly the alien learns based on the traps you use, but I played in hard the whole game and I never needed to use anything in the alien besides flares. I had a maxed inventory 50% of the game. They should have removed some traps, concentrating in the important ones, like noise maker, molotov bombs and explosives, while making them expensive as fuck, making them the most valuable item in the game.

At first I tough the IA was very good, but then after dying like 30 times, I learned that it is very predictable. The Alien always knows where you are, so you can manipulate him by just luring him to a room, then exiting it as he enters it and then you are saved for a long period of time. After that I was wondering, why then the first encounters are hard as balls while the latter ones are predictable and easy? I am not sure, my guess is that it depends of level design, in the medical bay, for example, all rooms are interconnected or close to each other, so the alien made a whole check of the area where you are very quickly. As the game moved on the areas became lazier and hiding from the alien was just a chore.
>>
>>333516948
cont.
To make things worse, then you get the flame tower, the game just becomes a joke after that, you made a mistake and the alien saw you? No problem, just take the flame tower and make him run like a bitch.

To me the best part in the game was were the syntethics became the main enemy. Sure they were easier to deal with, but weapons and traps were useful again, they don't move around too much, so you had to actually learn their patterns before moving on. I remember reaching the part were they start using suits, I tried to kill one using a bomb, it didn't do shit and I was completely mind fucked with that, the noise just attracted more of them and then I was death. Why the game couldn't provide more surprises like that?

Then the ammo is plentiful and you barely need it, most of the time you can make the alien kill the hostile humans by just firing a shot to the air. etc. I could write a lot more, but I think nobody is going to read it.

tl;dr The IA is very predictable and you are showered with resources you pretty much will never use.
>>
>>333511268
Did 4 playthroughs, nightmare was a blast.
Recently went back and platinumed it for the PS4 after playing through it on PC when it first game out.

It's the best alien game since AVP2 which was like 14 years previous so it's impressive
>>
>>333511268

/v/ fucking loves this game. And I don't fucking understand why. It's awful.

>crafting resources EVERYWHERE even on hardest difficulty
>you can bait or distract the alien with the shit ton of devices you can build
>game consists of move towards objective, hide when the alien appears, repeat

By far the biggest blunder was the inclusion of the flamethrower. Adding in a 'weapon' that scares off the only threat to you is a sure fire way to make your survival horror game shit. Same for the nail gun and the androids.

I still don't understand why this game gets as much praise as it does.

Facehuggers were scary though.
>>
>>333511268
/v/ here, i did not enjoy it
>>
>>333517781
Ayylium stops reacting to flamethrower soon. It just fucks you up no matter what. You fucking faggot didn't know that?
>>
>>333511268
Not that much,i for one hate stealth games. Also the alien was just annoying instead of scary after a while
>>
>>333517990
>Ayylium stops reacting to flamethrower soon

Lies and damned lies.

What starts happening is that
>it starts to cost more fuel to scare it away
>when you do scare it away, the alien bowls you over and damages you

Eventually you can run out of fuel, and when it runs you over you can die. Both of which will not happen as long as you don't stand in the same exact room, waiting for the alien to come back, and don't heal yourself in between damage.

So essentially, as long as you are not a brain dead retard this won't happen. I'm guessing that's what happened to you?
>>
>>333517781
That crafting point is pure shite.

I just did a nightmare run and I was lucky to have 1 medpack and 50 flamethrower fuel at a time. Practically every storage container is empty.
>>
>>333518393
>nightmare

I played it when the game first came out, no nightmare mode.

My experience was as the devs intended it to be. Blame them.
>>
I liked it. Was worth the playthrough on Hard.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.