[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is there any reason to like this game over Dark Souls other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: box-art-ch.jpg (37 KB, 380x441) Image search: [Google]
box-art-ch.jpg
37 KB, 380x441
So is there any reason to like this game over Dark Souls other than "it's kind of charming in a way" ?
>>
the fact that dark souls is just a rehash of it. the better question is if it's worth playing dark souls when you've already played demon's. not really.
>>
I like how fast-paced the game is. It's really easy to just pick up and do an entire playthrough in a single day.
>>
It still has the best NPC's, better atmosphere, and on average better level-design than DS I+II.

I honestly think the Dark Souls trilogy is kind of the weakest part of Soulsborne.
>>
>>333503840
DaS has better NPCs on the basis that they're basically the same characters in a new skin fleshed out a bit more.
I do agree on the atmosphere and level design though. There's never a moment where I find myself thinking "ugh, it's THIS area again."
>>
It's outclassed by DarkSouls but it's still a decent game
>>
File: yurt2.jpg (875 KB, 1980x1562) Image search: [Google]
yurt2.jpg
875 KB, 1980x1562
Demon's has the best NPCs and Atmosphere.
No other one in the series can stand up to Tower of Latria.
>>
Kind of ironic how Dark Souls is way less Dark Fantasy than Demon's. They had such a great thing going with the atmosphere and then the Dark Souls games just abandoned it in favor of a way more boring High Fantasy style.
>>
Over DS? No. Alongside it and over II, yeah.
>>
>>333504597
Outside of Ostrava, Biorr and Patches, the DeS NPCs weren't really anything special. At least not in comparison to their DaS counterparts.
>>333504925
I think we can all agree that DeS is by far the more atmospheric game.
>>
It's well balanced. Every weapon class has a weapon that's superior to the others, but overall the categories are the same.
>>
>>333502825
Overall best bosses.
No they're not difficult, but they're very varied. Not just big guy with big weapon or huge abomination like the other games.
>>
>>333502825

Better structure, better atmosphere, weight limit, Spear R2
>>
BB>DeS=DaS>DaS2
>>
>>333505117
I do hate how grindy upgrading can get though, and it's really weird how certain Pure stones are easy to obtain while others are an outright cunt to get.
I still haven't done a DEX playthrough simply because I never want to try my hand at getting a Pure Bladestone.
>>
It's when I see these threads and Bloodborne threads that I realize how delusional people are. DeS was good, but it wasn't even close to DaS 1. DeS had the 'branching' level design and warping that everyone's crying about in DaS2/3, it had an exploitable system wherein you basically couldn't die, and the atmosphere was unrefined by comparison to the clear direction they decided to go with DaS, which I believe worked way better.

They do this same shit with Bloodborne, acting like because it's accessible to fewer people, it's a better game 'objectively'. It was good, but it was improved upon with DaS1, and DaS2 is honestly a great game that improved upon the formula, too, it just gets shit on by /v/ because it's full of sperglords.
>>
File: 1457932380344.jpg (133 KB, 1024x715) Image search: [Google]
1457932380344.jpg
133 KB, 1024x715
>>333505068
Yurt > all other assholes
Maiden > all other waifus
Yuria > all other witches
Stockpile Thomas > all other starting area NPCs
>>
>>333505068
>dissing on my bro Thomas
The DaS counterpart is a stupid box.
>>
>>333505181
No two bosses in DeS are exactly the same, and I really appreciate that. They really put effort into making them distinguishable and unique rather than just SOHARD like in DaS1 and beyond.
>>333505340
DaS1 has worse level design than DeS, or at least it's far more inconsistent in its quality.
And i'm not even a Sonygger. I played DaS1 first. But I don't consider DeS worse on the sole basis of being PS exclusive.
>>
>>333505340
>clear direction they decided to go with DaS
lolwat? Remind me again what lore reason Fog Gates have in DaS?
>>
>>333505428

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.
>>
It's faster, has a darker world, you don't look like beef jerky when you die, magic was fun, invasions were actually terrifying, memes at the minimum, character were the originals that were later copy and pasted to DaS, level design was better, every boss was unique.
>>
>>333502825
From what i've seen (haven't played it, I really wish they remastered it for PS4) it seems to have a more challenging level design with less checkpoints.
>>
File: 1447015323987.jpg (69 KB, 562x530) Image search: [Google]
1447015323987.jpg
69 KB, 562x530
>>333505340
>acting like because it's accessible to fewer people, it's a better game 'objectively'
>'objectively'
>it was improved upon with DaS1
>DaS2 is honestly a great game that improved upon the formula
>Not allowed to say something was objectively superior because that triggers me but 'improved upon' is totally OK, I don't need to provide arguments for anything
>I like Demon's Souls for these reasons, I recognise that it isn't a better game than Dark Souls but I enjoyed it more regardless, just as I enjoyed Dark Souls more then Dark Souls 2
>NO YOU DIDN'T, NO YOU DIDN'T LIKE THAT THING, I DECIDE WHAT YOU DO AND DON'T LIKE AND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU'RE MENTALLY ILL
>>
I think DaS is a better game in terms of gameplay, builds and lore (NPC's included), but DeS has the best level in the Soulsborne series.

Latria > Brume Tower > Sen's > Yahar'Gul
>>
>>333505340

Dark Souls was basically Demon's Souls PLUS. It wasn't a bad game by any means, but it was in no way original in that borrowed so much from its predecessor.

Although it was a bit more difficult and combat felt a bit more fluid.
>>
>>333505818
I want to add to this that I still think DeS has the best PvP/co-op system. They have a very clear purpose (reviving yourself) and you can get both the invasion and summon stones very early in the game without having to trudge through a mile of covenant shit to get to them.
>>
Atmosphere was a huge downgrade going from DeS to DaS. DaS is basically fucking Skyrim compared to the world that DeS presents. Level design is also extremely unrefined in the second half of DaS, that just doesn't happen in Demon's.
>>
>>333506043
Eh 3-1 was pretty great, 3-2 not so much, the walkways are daunting the first time through but that's about it, and the swamp is weak compared to 5-2. 3-3 is just nothing except the best boss battle in any Souls game
>>
>>333505340
The reason people complain about warping in DaS is because the world is so poorly connected that they had to force the mechanic back in or actually playing would be aa massive chore.
The warping in DeS was well implemented and thought out as it allowed for more varied and interesting areas while still allowing for easy coop and pvp.
And where was there clear refinement in DaS?
That game was blatantly rushed out as the game at launch was not only buggy but Nito's covenant was completely broken and there were entire areas that were quickly slapped together with literal copy pasted enemies.
DaS was an ok game but overall DeS is a much better put together game which launched in a complete state and had proper explanations for its mechanics and didn't need some youtuber to come up with "lore" to explain things that were mostly copied from DeS with little though.
>>
>>333502825
Its second half isn't complete arse.
>>
Better level design, bosses with unique mechanics, more coherent and sensible lore, mana.
>>
>>333506348
Well to be fair, all of the X-3 levels sans 1-3 are just bosses.
And the Old Monk is a bummer in recent playthroughs since the game is dead so I only ever get the generic one.
>>
>>333503576
Quantum Break confirmed goty
>>
>>333505294
It took me literally 20 hours of grinding the 2kat skeleton in PBWT.
Trust me, it's not worth it.
>>
>>333506195
>>333504597
>>333503840
Do you think Dark Souls can have as good of atmosphere as Demon's Souls without losing all the color? There's a beautiful forest area, a big colorful library, a shimmering ice cave, and many sunny-looking areas. Whereas Demon's Souls looks dark and grey/brown/blue from start to finish.
>>
Dark Souls = Demon's Souls rehash

Dark Souls 3 = Bloodborne rehash

Sony exclusives always a best
>>
Actually, Dark Souls i+II are really the odd ones in this series, the only games that are extremely inconsistent in quality. Demon's, Dark Souls III and Bloodborne are way more consistent and complete in their vision and overall polish and quality than those two. Kind of interesting to me.
>>
>>333504460
It's not really objective when you just spew shit and don't make any points
>>
>>333506567
The fact that DeS actually has an explanation as to why your character gives off light to see through the dark says enough.
>>333506704
That's what we're saying. DaS is bright and colorful and goes straight into high fantasy territory, as opposed to DeS which is much, much darker.
>>
>>333503386
This right here
>>
They're all heavily flawed in their own ways, so which one you like depends on which heavily flawed part of the game bothered you the least.
>>
>>333505404
Thomas is literally perfect. No one is allowed to disagree.
>>
Upon replaying Dark Souls, it's not very good.

>too much focus on weapons/build over mechanical skill/gameplay
>too slow, too much delay when rolling or attacking (like a 500ms delay for rolling or shield raising)
>only caters to people who know the ins and outs of the game, specific builds, enemy weaknesses, regardless of those players' actual skill
>trying to fit everything into one interconnected world makes it convoluted and confusing; often unclear where you need to go or what you need to do
>many of the key mechanics are poorly explained (lordvessel, upgrading estus, kindling bonfires, pardoning, etc)
>key characters for vital weapons, armor, pyro, miracles, and sorceries are a pain to find and severely limit your options and hamper the game experience
>worlds feel empty and sterile (Anor Londo castle, Duke's Archives, Ash Lake, Lost Izalith, etc)
>many bosses are underwhelming or poorly designed (O&S, Priscilla, Capra, Quelaag, Pinwheel, Seath, Taurus, Ceaseless Discharge, bed of chaos)
>Hitboxes and i-frames are inconsistent
>game rewards simply running past enemies and rushing bosses over tactical play
>many mechanics are unfair first time (mimic chest, seath, Stray Demon floor collapsing, Anor Londo castle archers, bonfire at Sen's)

Overall, it's a mediocre game that's overhyped to hell, especially after playing the masterpiece that is Demon's Souls.

DeS has miles better world design and level design, and all the mechanics come naturally through progression of the story, and it doesn't obfuscate key characters or mechanics because "le so hard xD"

Dark Souls has lots of obscure, backwards bullshit, partially just because the level design is terrible and they purposely hide key characters and mechanics, but also because they decided to go for the interconnected world to full scale gimmick and sacrificed pacing, and world building simply for the player to be able to say "oh, that's cool, I can see another part of the world from here"
>>
>>333506987
Explain how DeS is heavily flawed.
>>
>>333507060

Ugly, one weapon in each category that is objectively the best, online was a mess, two good bosses, the most primitive magic system out of all the games, lacks many of the quality of life changes introduced later in the series.
>>
Reminder that DeS has the best
>bosses
>atmosphere
>level design
>combat (faster and more fluid than DkS)
>weapon design
>armor design
>invasion system
>mechanics (grass over estus, mana over spell uses, being in soul form actually has consequences)
And finally it was actually a complete game and didn't have downright pitiful, half-assed shit like Ash Lake, Anor Londo Castle, Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins, or the same Asylum Demon boss recycled three times. And it actually explained basic game mechanics unlike Dark Souls with kindling, Estus upgrades, and weapon upgrades. It also didn't cater to "le so hardcore xDD" memers and was never meant to be arbitrarily difficult, but was just meant to be punishing so victories felt more fulfilling and rewarding.
>>
>>333506452
>>333506489

desu, the only thing I absolutely hated about DaS was Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos

Nito and Seath were weak boss battles, sure. But it's not so ass that I consider the entire second half shit. Ok, so Kiln of the First Flame was shit too.

imo

DeS = BB > DaS > DaS2

I still like all of them, especially DaS2 recovers nicely from being meh with the DLC.
>>
>>333506927
This argument is retarded. DeS has far better atmosphere but calling DaS "High fantasy" while disregarding DeS is retarded. Both games are high fantasy. High and dark fantasy aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>333507157
Here's your (you)
>>
>>333504460

this pretty much.
>>
>>333506704
No, honestly. The kind of Dark Fantasy and horror-vibe of DeS and Bloodborne (which is such an amazingly fitting style for the souls experience) is something that can't be achieved with lush forests and shimmering caves which are things that make for a far more normal and friendly looking fantasy world.
>>
>>333507384

And there's your argument, dead on the ground. Capitulating as soon as somebody gives points you can't dispel is pretty pathetic.
>>
>>333506927
Yeah, but is dulling down the colors all that they need to do to keep the atmosphere? I feel like Dark Souls was trying to be more varied with the visuals while *trying* to keep the atmosphere. And there are places where it succeeds, such as The Depths, The Catacombs, Blight Town, Ash Lake, and whatever the last area before the boss is.

And the sense of scope in Anor Londo hasn't been done nearly as well anywhere else in the SoulsBourne series. I'd put that into the "atmosphere" category, even though it's a much different one. That's the point where shit starts to feel like a real, cinematic, adventure.
>>
File: absolutelyasylum.jpg (89 KB, 431x495) Image search: [Google]
absolutelyasylum.jpg
89 KB, 431x495
>Friendly reminder that das2 makes every other game in the series look like a masterpiece
>>
>>333507048
I've been defending DeS all thread but half your complaints are about the player being rewarded for exploration and most of the others are about the player not being rewarded for being lazy (IE not reading item descriptions), both of which were heavily present in DeS and contributed in a lot of ways to its success as a game and it's popularity besides
>>
>>333507450

>nearly as well anywhere else

Dragon Aerie, plus it's far more atmospheric in general with dragons constantly flying around and consistent enemies.
>>
I really like boletarian palace, shrine of storms and tower of latria, ignoring the swamp part. They are my favourite locations out of all the souls games. Even the fucking horrible POISON EVERYWHERE area in DeS is better than the others.
>>
>>333502825

It has some very cool levels (latria in particular), in general it's darker than Dark Souls. In general I think it has the most memorable atmosphere, although DaS comes close.

Gameplay-wise DaS is superior, but then again it came 2nd so it's expected.

Also unlike DaS I and II I'd say that it doesn't have any obvious flaws. Nothing feels really rushed or unfinished. Apparently there's an archstone that got scrapped during the development but at least we're not left with something like Lost Izalith.

It doesn't have the problem of DaS losing its pace post anor londo.
>>
LISTEN UP DARK LORD QUEERS

DARK SOULS SUCK COCK

IT EASY FOR ONE EASY AS SHIT PROBABLY THE EASIEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED

NOTHING MAKES ANY FUCKING SENSE

IT IS DISJOINTED AS FUCK..ENJOY THE FLOP OF THE CENTURY DARK MOLES
>>
>>333507048
>worlds feel empty and sterile (Anor Londo castle, Duke's Archives, Ash Lake, Lost Izalith, etc)
Those places are canonically empty and sterile m8
>ew valley of defilement is dirty, fucing dropped
>>
>>333502825

More difficult.
Better soundtrack.
Better atmosphere.
Most aesthetically pleasing npcs, armors and weapons.
Best voice actors.
Best boss fights.
Best story.
The original.

Dark souls really has nothing on demons. at the time it was just a massive disappointment. I have never ever met anyone who has played both and thinks dark souls was better. Dark souls also ruined everything by attracting all sorts of faggots to the game.
>>
>>333505404
>Maiden > all other waifus

I don't know man, the DaS3 one is looking to give her a run for her money.
>>
>>333507434
>ugly
Pure opinion
>1 best weapon per class
As with every soulsborne game
>2 good bosses
Opinion, unless you're talking about DaS
>primitive magic
Only difference is mana instead of casts
>quality of life upgrades
Such as frame rate drops and lag
>>
>>333507547
The level design and world structure of DeS and DkS are entirely different. Fuck off with your falseflag bullshit.

I don't give a fuck who you are or what you're doing. Your opinions still need to hold up to criticism.
>>
>any reason to like this game over dark souls
just enjoy them both, DeS feels like a medieval war, DaS feels like the war was long ago.

hard mode: make a character in DeS and get to DaS3
impossible mode: don't die (manditory deaths not included)
>>
>>333507542
Last game I bought and will ever buy at release
>>
>>333507702
Wow, that's actually pretty cool.
I've never seen anyone say Demon's is superior to Dark who's played both.
That's pretty interesting.
>>
Is there a series that works /v/ up more than Souls?
>>
>>333507708
She tries so hard to copy the Maiden it is not funny.
Even got a stupid "Touch the demon inside me" reference.
>>
>>333507712

>Pure opinion

Nah, it's not stylized and has textures that'd work on a PS2. That's about as objective a metric of "ugly" can be.

>As with every soulsborne game

But it's literally only true for Demon's Souls.

>Opinion, unless your opinion is my opinion

>Only difference is mana

Which required far less thought than casts, also it had far less magic and different types than Dark Souls which had the same leap in (in)equality in Dark Souls 2. Thus, primitive.

>Such as frame drops and lag

Both of which were in Demon's Souls, but let's just pretend that the myriad of changes between the games were wholly negative.
>>
>>333507909

top kek
>>
>>333502825
NICE WEEBSHIT U FUCKING FAGGOT
>NICE WEEBSHIT U FUCKING FAGGOT
NICE WEEBSHIT U FUCKING FAGGOT
>NICE WEEBSHIT U FUCKING FAGGOT
>>
>>333503576
I agree, it's a much easier game to pick up and just go. If you feel like getting the Crescent Falchion right away you just go straight to 4-1, if you want the Great Club, 2-1, and etc. I liked being able to go in and out of worlds in any order. That being said Dark Souls is just as great in my opinion, Dark Souls is massive and I'm glad they changed the hub world system to just one giant interconnected world, but now since all the Souls games took after Dark Souls in world design, I want them to go back and do a DeS like hub world again.
>>
>>333507157
>Ugly
Subjective
>one weapon in each category that is objectively the best
Just like in every other game.
>online was a mess
How so? Invasions and summons were common as hell because they're super easy to access, like they should be.
>two good bosses
So being able to push your shit in is the only marking of a "good" boss?
>the most primitive magic system out of all the games
I'd take MP over numbered casts any day.
>lacks many of the quality of life changes introduced later in the series
I'd be a little worried if there WEREN'T any QoL improvements over the span of 7 whole years.
>>333507450
>The Depths
Fun area to romp through but nothing unique in terms of visuals. It's just a generic sewer with rats.
>Catacombs
Generic spooky scary skellie level.
>Blight Town
Downgraded Valley of Defilement that's twice as tedious to go through, especially on console.
>Ash Lake
Cool-looking, but completely pointless outside of joining the dragon dildos. 95% of players never see it on the first playthrough.
>>
>>333507951

So did the Doll. Theyre all voiced by the same VA,.
>>
>>333507450
Yeah but see, take Blighttown for example and compare it with the Valley of Defilement. Blighttown is basically a nice place to live compared to the utter putridity that is the Valley of Defilement. DaS tries to replicate the atmosphere but it obviously can't, the style is too different and just more...normal.
>>
>>333507712
no I think hes talking about the fact that the world tendency and drop rates on certain items was massively annoying and required either multiple play throughs or some real fiddling to get right. Also it was not fucking explained well in the game.
>>
The level design is far better. I love Dark Souls for the improved mechanics but at least half the areas in the game are bland at best.
>>
>>333507951
She doesn't try to imitate her, she's her direct upgrade. Like the beta version compared to the alpha version of a game.

With emerald herald being a discontinued branch.
>>
>>333508064
see
>>333507987
>>
>>333502825
>>333504460
Dank Souls is 90% just DeS with a different layout. I really like both games. What DaS did better (IMO) was exploration. I'm not a huge fan of hub worlds, I actually enjoyed trekking around Lordran, felt more like an adventure.

But DeS was always the better game. DaS just had a real marketing campaign (LE PREPARE TO DIE XD), PC release shilling, and memes. I don't dislike DaS at all, in fact I prefer it in many ways. It's just Demon's Souls 1.5, and a third of the game is shit.
>>
>>333507849

I said that too.

I preordered DaSIII two days ago, I'm weak.
>>
>>333502825
absolutely not
lack of poise
no linked worlds
shit weapons
no more pvp/summoning due to age of game and lack of playerbase
its basically a meme /v/ uses to get people to waste their time
>>
>>333504597
>No other one in the series can stand up to Tower of Latria.

Facts. Latria was the best part of Souls so far.
>>
can i play this game on PC? is there a good PS3 emulator?
>>
>>333502825
Best atmosphere, that darkness in the end and distant glowing enemies, that whole HP Lovecraft level and couple of other things are more memorable to me than anything in any other souls game and I played DeS only once when it came out, and DaS multiple times (I don't like DaS II at all). If you don't care about atmosphere then maybe there's no reason although if you like DaS it's weird that you don't wouldn't like DeS.
>>
>>333508265
I ran through it about a month ago and I could summon/get invaded pretty often for a 7-year-old ps3 exclusive.
>>
>>333508385

No, probably not for a few years still. PS3 emulation is very young. You'll probably need a beast of a PC too.
>>
File: 1439821929400.jpg (35 KB, 578x527) Image search: [Google]
1439821929400.jpg
35 KB, 578x527
>>333508262
>look on Amazon this morning and tell myself I can't afford it
>mfw I got my pay check today
>>
>>333508209
More like the cheap chinese knock-off
>>
The burden system is still unforgivingly broken and unfair
>absolutely no way to tell how heavy the item is without picking it up
>the only way to get rid of items is by giving them to thomas, but returning to the nexus causes the item in that world to be lost forever
>>
>>333504264
>DaS has better NPCs on the basis that they're basically the same characters in a new skin fleshed out a bit more.

and don't forget the goofier voices, and how every one of them ends their dialogue by laughing.
>>
>>333503386
The real question is whether it's worth playing DeS when you've already played DaS

Also DeS has literally one good looking armor, that's it.
>>
Why do the most powerful/spookiest demon in the world help you and level you up?
>>
>>333508265
>lack of poise
Thank god.
>no linked worlds
They're just better since they can focus more on making each world unique without having to worry about how it can organically connect to another.
>shit weapons
Plenty of viable weapons depending on your build.
>no more pvp/summoning due to age of game and lack of playerbase
Well that can't be helped, it's a 7 year old PS3 exclusive. Are you gonna call Dark Souls shit when its playerbase finally dies out?
>its a meme
Dark Souls is more of a meme game than Demon's Souls.
>>
>>333505404
you've got impeccable taste. Don't let them take it from you
>>
File: 1428778415663.jpg (29 KB, 420x322) Image search: [Google]
1428778415663.jpg
29 KB, 420x322
>>333508609
>and how every one of them ends their dialogue by laughing.
This shit infuriates me more than it has any right to do.
Just why? For one or two characters, yes, but what is the point of making everyone a fucking lunatic?
>>
>>333508585
Just empty out your inventory every time you're in the Nexus and it'll never be an issue unless you're grinding Greystone in 2-2.
>>
File: Archstone_of_the_Tower_Queen.jpg (254 KB, 440x1010) Image search: [Google]
Archstone_of_the_Tower_Queen.jpg
254 KB, 440x1010
>>333504597
Latria was my favourite tbqhwyf
>>
>>333508521
Emarald Herald maybe.

DaS3 waifu and Doll both have Miyazaki behind them.

And their feet have more polygons so they're direct upgrades.
>>
>>333507909

Shut up faggot. What was the point in saying that? You utter little faggot.
>>
>>333507909
I've played both. I'll say Demon's is superior to Dark.

There, now you've seen someone say Demon's is superior to Dark who's played both.
>>
I like it's monsters, world and design better
>>
>>333509074
Did you read the end of the post he replied to?

I've played both and say Dark is better. What now faggot, we gonna duel or what?
>>
>>333507702
The boss fights are all bland as shit, or easy as shit.
>>
File: 1448227268120.jpg (25 KB, 468x312) Image search: [Google]
1448227268120.jpg
25 KB, 468x312
>>333509232
Give the time and place. I'll fite u.
>>
>>333508750
it started to feel like a cartoon at some point
>>
Dark Souls is a downgrade from Demon's in about as many ways as it's an upgrade. It's also inherently way less interesting and impressive after Demon's.
>>
Post cute Demon´s Souls art pls
>>
File: Maiden.in.Black.full.1115673.jpg (1015 KB, 892x1200) Image search: [Google]
Maiden.in.Black.full.1115673.jpg
1015 KB, 892x1200
>>333509889
Maiden is qtest.
>>
File: 2h7m5vd.jpg (115 KB, 373x1599) Image search: [Google]
2h7m5vd.jpg
115 KB, 373x1599
>>333509889
>>
>>333502825
You know that if you start a comparasion thread, everyone will be contrarian.

I love all the games
They all have strong and weak points.
Demons has great atmosphere, world, npcs, bosses, and dialogue
But it has weak balance, hub world with lack of connectivity, grass, world tendency, and unfinished
It's the first in the series so it's forgivable
Dark souls has great npcs, bosses, atmosphere, dialogue, and world
But it's horribly unfinished, story kinda falls apart after getting the Lord vessel, pvp is backstab fest, covenants are broken
Dark Souls II has great pvp, "decent" story, great dlc, better stats allocations and details, dudes in armor
But SOUL MEMORY, arcady areas, nonsense connecting areas, convenients still broken, and npcs are weak
Bloodborne has great atmosphere, combat, world, bosses, story
But convenients still broken, bells, npcs are hit and miss

I'm typing this on my phone, I could go on but I love the souls series

Des=Das>=BB>DasII in my opinion
Can't wait to play 3 on Tuesday
>>
>>333510251
I want to lick leechmongers feet
>>
>>333509889
>>
Easily accessible online that supports the single player experience instead of being a grindy pastime for rewards that only benefit very certain builds, is something that only DeS in the series managed to do. Though I'm not sure how big of a plus it'll be anymore since I don't know how alive the community is.

>>333507702
>More difficult.
The only difficult fights in the game are Flamefucker and False King, and the former is completely trivialized if you have even just enough INT to cast the basic Soul Arrow. I think that design wise bosses were overall better due to many of them having some sort of fun and unique gameplay gimmicks, but difficulty wise both DaS1 and 2 are much less forgiving.
>>
>>333510320
>tfw the art style and world design of Bloodborne gets you more erect than DeS or DaS but you can't afford a Nogames4 right now

I want it so bad, I'd even pick up DaSIII and SoTFS for it because I never bought the DLC for DaSII on Steam.
>>
The Dragon God was really cool in it's visual design.
Doesn't bother breathing fire, just PUNCHES THE FUCK OUT OF YOU
>>
>>333511178
They probably tried to repeat something like this with demon firesage, but failed due to time constraints or something like this.
>>
>>333511178
>beat the tutorial boss
>oh cool a new area and hey tons of items
>what's that ahead of me?
>oh Fuck is that a giant dragon?!
>okay better just try and dodge his fire breathes, this game is not fucking around
>punches the living out of me

Best opening if you actually beat the guy.
I lost my dick once the maiden woke me up
>>
>>333511415
I'm sorry, meant ceaseless discharge.
>>
>>333511475
You mean you found the true potential of your dick when the Maiden woke you up.
>>
File: notsureif-11.jpg (37 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
notsureif-11.jpg
37 KB, 500x375
>>333502825
If you're one of those faggots who played Dark Souls first, then no, there is no reason. Just get the fuck out, you newhomo.
>>
>>333512170
What if I played DeS first and beat the tower knight but stopped playing it and then 2 years later picked up DaS and beat the whole game and then went back to DeS and beat it?
>>
Wish they kept these loading screens
>>
>>333511924
I lost my dick when I touched the demon inside her
>>
>>333512413
Thank you for saying that, I though I was the only one.
>>
>>333512392

Why'd you stop after tower knight the first time? I was slightly bored before I saw him, close to giving up, but he's a cool as fuck boss.
>>
>start with DaS and eventually git gud
>blow through Bloodborne with zero difficulty
>can't be bothered with DaS2

>mfw the only stage I can beat in DeS is 1-1

WHY DID THEY MAKE STR SO BAD
>>
File: Xj5KlWb.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Xj5KlWb.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>333512413
forgot pic

>>333512682
yeah made the NPCs stand out more
>>
There's nothing really Dark Souls improved on. It allowed the game the levels to become connected instead of having separate stages, but a lot of its principle ideas come from Demon Souls.
>>
>>333513000
>steamrolled through the entire game with nothing but a dagger
Dex or die, baby
>>
>>333513550
The fighting is a lot faster and punchier/sharper/more viscerally satisfying on a hit-by-hit basis.
>>
atmosphere, bosses and music are all god tier

gameplay is outclassed by the newer entries

PVP is the worst and sucks fat dick

it gets a lot of points for being the first, though.
>>
>>333513550
what are you talking about, it improved on the graphics quality, number and variety of weapons, streamlining of the upgrade system, removal of world tendency, removal of some of the really stupid RNG aspects. Improved the inventory system and UI, specificallly removing the attachment of storage to one NPC and putting it on any checkpoint.
>>
DeS was 4 the players

DaS was 4 the casuals
>>
>>333503386
>rehash
There's that word again
>>
Pointless thread about as unskilled as OP's riposte.
>>
>>333502825
It was not rushed with a shitty second half
>>
File: lel.jpg (288 KB, 985x720) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
288 KB, 985x720
Much as I liked Dark Souls's connected world, out of most areas from Demon's Souls which has an equivalent in DaS, I prefer the DeS version.

In the simplest terms:
>muh Latria
>>
>>333516585
I preferred Blightown's swamp over 5-2, but otherwise I agree.
>>
>>333512761
Because I was a complete casual and went to 4-1 afterwards and got fucked by the rolling skele-men and then went to 3-1 and got fucked by the octopus-men and just stopped playing because I was getting destroyed.
>>
>>333516772
Blighttown is pretty tame compared to the Valley of Defilement.

Still the most disgusting and unpleasant swamp area in all of Souls. They got tamer with every game after Demon's.
>>
>>333507048
Half of your points are what makes DeS and DaS so good you scrub. The game rewards you for figuring things out. You're the chosen undead, you have no clue how to do anything in Lordran, you don't know a single person place or thing in that world. You figure things out as your character does. I feel like you're crying becuase it didn't hold your hand and I'm not even a "git gud" kind of guy. Also, those locations are sterile, thats the point of coming into a fallen kingdom. Are there disappointing bosses? Yeah, but DeS has some shit bosses too like the Abjudicator (or whatever), all the gimmick bosses except for Storm and Flamelurker who I've never died to. I'd say the Maneaters suck, but at least they gave birth to the overused gargoyles in souls games. This isn't a dick measuring contest, it's a spiritual successor that did a lot of elements better, but DeS is still good too. Fuck off with your invalid opinions
>>
>>333510251
2anime4me
>>
>>333517537
And all the bosses in Valley of Defilement, those all fucking suck too.
>>
>>333509332
1v1 on 1-3
You up for it?
>>
>>333518348
>Maiden Astrea
>sucks
Maybe pure gameplay-wise, but the atmosphere reached its peak here.
>>
>>333513282
I never understood that photo
Why is ostrava a giant?
>>
>>333518716
I never understood people not looking at it properly.
You can clearly see the other guys sword behind Ostravas leg.
Perspective nigga
>>
>>333504264
>There's never a moment where I find myself thinking "ugh, it's THIS area again."
The mines in 2-2(?), 3-2 and depending on my mood 3-1, 4-2 and praying to god you can get a pure darkmoonstone, and the fucking mosquitoes in 5-2.

Going off of gameplay reasons before you cry, fanboys.
>>
>>333504597
What the fuck was his problem? Or rather what was the problem of the asshole who sent him?
>>
lol this game is much better than your fancy "dork souls" lol. ps3>ps4>xbox360>xbone>pcuck get rekt mate, you'll never ever get to play this
>>
Its probably the easiest in the series other then maybe bloodborn and that might appeal to some people
>>
>>333502825
>game is at a faster pace than DkS
>world design allows you to tackle worlds at your choice rather than a linear progression like DkS
>much better bosses overall
>better atmosphere

Demon's Souls also has the advantage that the game doesn't fall apart in the last third either.
>>
>>333519859
>world design allows you to tackle worlds at your choice rather than a linear progression like DkS

WHAT
dude it was dark souls 1 that introduced the open world style demons souls had the same system dark souls 2 did
>>
>>333519852
Those are the two games I died the most deaths in. When will people learn that comparing difficulty in these games makes about as much sense as a "best Final Fantasy"- discussion.
>>
File: 1459785487667.jpg (6 KB, 238x192) Image search: [Google]
1459785487667.jpg
6 KB, 238x192
>>333520185

Just stop posting. You don't know what you're talking about. And you sound like you're from Plebbit.
>>
>>333520402
Nice damage control

In dark souls 1 right of the bat there where 3places to go (even ones that where far to high level for you at the time) that all split off into more different levels and you would make shortcuts the further you got into a level

Demons souls you had to beat Boletaria before going anywhere else

In dark souls once you know where to go you can skip chunks of the game by using some shortcuts you learned in your last run you cant do that im demons souls
>>
I'm glad that we're back to decently fast Souls combat now btw. Dark was slower than Demon's, and then Dark 2 slowed down even more. With BB and Dark 3 it's like Miyazaki finally had enough of molasses-Souls.
>>
It's not a matter of one being superior to another but I loved the nexus hub and the very direct progression that Demon's had.

The nexus was unique because it was the only place in the game where nobody would ever attack you unprovoked, where even if the entire kingdom outside has gone insane you still have this small safe zone where you can catch your breath and talk with the people you've met. It served as a nice contrast to the rest of the game. The firelink shrine is fine on it's own but you're 20 paces away from angry skeletons and hollow, it feels no safer than queelag's domain.

The archstones also gave you a direct feeling of choice and progression, where you could see how deep into each place you were getting, and how much many demons you had defeated. Dark's interconnected world was fun to explore and opened up some really interesting possibilities with the master key, but until you've got the lordvessel you're running past several boring areas to get to where you want to be, not to mention that you'll occasionally run into a dead end and be forced to search around and try and remember if you've picked up any keys or met any npcs.
>>
DeS came out of nowhere, and it's the game evryone has always dreamed about
>be knight
>fight monsters with a fully realized 3D combat
>fight big bosses
>explore castles and dungeons
It's simple yet so deep, plus the online was a big thing too. The hub apes to a simpler game design mentality so it doesn't feel like it wants to be so big it's overwhelming, unlike know where everything has to be open world and interconnected, wich is fine and all, but backtracking always comes to be an issue at some point.
I agree that in variety it gets completely blown out the water by all subsequent sequels, but it's a bit like comparing Megaman 6 to megaman 1 or 2, yeah it has a lot more going on but it's a bit bland and all ends up blending in.
>>
So is there any reason to like Super Mario Bros over SMB3 other than "it's kind of charming in a way"?
>>
>>333508625
>one good looking armor
objectively false
>>
File: The_Maiden_in_Black.jpg (64 KB, 499x700) Image search: [Google]
The_Maiden_in_Black.jpg
64 KB, 499x700
>>333502825
This is the reason why Demon souls is better and ofc Maiden in Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM

>It is said that Maiden Astraea discovered the truth about God’s existence - or lack thereof - and thus explains why she accepted the Soul of a Demon in order to ease the troubled abandoned. Hers is ironically referred to as the most impure Soul. Yet still, Garl will never leave her side.
>>
Dark Souls gets boring when you get the Lord Vessel.
Demons Souls is good all throughout and never has a boring sequence.

Also all the level elements of Dark Souls are taken from Demons.
>>
>>333525261
>never has a boring sequence.
While I wouldn't call it boring, Valley of Defilement os a literal chore, though really every swam level in any video game that isn't a platformer is a chore
>>
File: 1376564444134.png (513 KB, 546x941) Image search: [Google]
1376564444134.png
513 KB, 546x941
>>333505404
>Maiden > all other waifus
thats not how you spell Anastacia
>>
>>333525663
I've spent my share of time on the Valley of Defilement.

How much you enjoy the place depends on your strategy. If you decide to fully explore the place you're going to get bored, but if you hop from island to island its actually surprisingly quick to get around.

For me, the valley has one of the only invaders in all of souls that actually scared me. The original butcher invader.

There's also hell island with the three trolls on it. Not only that the island itself turned out to be a troll because the item there used to bait you turned out to be shit. That Miyazaki-san, what a troll!

I guess the "secrets" in the valley like Istarelle and the Large Sword of Moonlight, as well as constantly watching the poison meter and killing incoming mosquitoes, made it less boring for me.
>>
>log 1,000+ hours in DaS2
>go back and play this game
So this is what it feels like to be able to parry.
>>
File: Yuria.the.Witch.full.813103.jpg (193 KB, 850x1133) Image search: [Google]
Yuria.the.Witch.full.813103.jpg
193 KB, 850x1133
>>333508737
Underrated post.

DeS has some of the most memorable lines in the entire series. Not enough love for Yuria in this thread though.
>>
Better level design

Boss fights are very unique

Boletaria > lordran
>>
>>333519652
A secret society that wants to have a monopoly on magic hires and assassin to kill people who know about it.
>>
>>333505404
You've heart of gold, don't let them take from ye
>>
>>333503386
fucking this

dark souls babbies need to be gassed
>>
File: event.jpg (28 KB, 720x320) Image search: [Google]
event.jpg
28 KB, 720x320
>>333527729
>Surely you have seen for yourself… the pain and suffering that fills this world! But fight poison with poison. God is merciful, and so, created the Old One. The Old One will feed upon our souls, and put an end to our tragic realm of existence!

Damn right it did. Also Allant is voiced by pic related.
>>
>>333503386
Rehash and step backwards in some ways. Especially level design.
>>
>>333503840
NPC no, everything else I agree. Also bosses, DS had a couple of standouts but overall DeS ones are better
>>
>>333528000
The bosses in Demon's are weird compared to the rest of the series. The fights are either really easy or really hard. No real middle ground. You're right though some are certainly unique. Flamelurker and Maneaters are still two of my favorite fights in the series.
>>
I love how Dark Souls is finally taking more influence from Demons with 3
>>
>>333528686
Flamelurker was amazing. Wasn't that big of a deal on NG, but NG+ and on, jesus fucking christ. Especially going full melee he is fucking terrifying, and his oppressive theme still makes me shudder
>>
>>333508750
>What is the point of making everyone a fucking lunatic in a world where everyone is losing their minds anf on the brink of becoming a fucking zamboni
Gee William I just can't imagine why.
>>
>>333507048
>like a 500ms delay for rolling or shield raising
Not our fault you're playing on a Pentium III
>>
>>333504597
>>333503840
Read through the dialogues again. DeS characters are easily the most one dimensional of the Soulsborne games as a whole, on par with DSII. Mephistopheles has far and away the worst quest line and dialogue of any one character in the entire series. I'll give you atmosphere, but level design is just as variable in quality as in Dark Souls. (Remember 2-2?)

>>333503386
>>
>>333505181
I disagree with you wholeheartedly. Every X-3 boss is guaranteed to be a gimmick. Actually, every boss save for the World 1 crew and Flamelurker is either a gimmick or a terrible fight. Armor Spider, Maneaters, and both Valley of Defilement bosses are abominations of design in terms of moveset and (in the case of Maneaters) AI pathing.
>>
>>333502825
Muh atmosphere

While subjective, is a good point in my opinion. Dat Tower of Latria alone.
>>
>>333506567
>DeS
>lore

I can't even form an argument. Green text is all I can manage.
>>
>>333531296
What do you mean? Just becauseVaatiFagya doesn't make 1000 videos about it doesn't mean DeS doesn't have lore you fag
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 275x183
>>333531296
>I can't even form an opinion because I have no knowledge

You're the scum of this shithole
>>
>>333532648
You're confusing story and lore.
Lore is the fleshing out of the backstory and world, DeS has incredibly little of that. While the individual worlds are interesting, there's very little substance behind their presentation. Read Mephistopheles' equipment descriptions, the lore is barebones.
>>
>>333531296
>An old wooden amulet resembling the Old One.

>It can utilize both miracles and spells.

>The symbol of God was nothing more than the Image of the Old One
>>
>>333503386
FPBP
>>
>>333508262

Canceled pre order twice because I couldn't make up my mind.

Preordered it again today.

That's the final time.

I know I'm gonna enjoy the fuck out of it and that's that.
>>
>>333528686
The demon's souls bosses are gimmicky as hell, but that's what makes them memorable. Each one is genuinely unique.
>>
>>333528686
I really like Armor Spider, I don't think it was a bad boss by any means, it at least had proper level design to make it challenging.
>>
>>333537858

I remember being too scared to walk up to it so I just used the bow until it died.

There's been spider bosses / mini bosses / enemies in every king's field / shadow tower / souls game I think.
>>
>>333505404
God bless this brave warrior!

Umbasa

That's another thing I fucking love about DeS - the clergy is monotheistic (despite the whole God is the old one bit). I REALLY fucking hate the "By the Gods" or even worse "By the goddess" bullshit blasphemies all fantasy games seem to have nowadays.

I dunno, it sounds better to me.
>>
>>333507031
You have a heart of gold...

Don't let them take it from you
>>
>>333508265
>lack of poise
It does make a game much less interesting but I don't really care at this point

>no linked worlds
THIS

>shit weapons
There are a couple weapons that made me curious but nothing more

>no more pvp/summoning due to age of game and lack of playerbase
The DeS pvp is not that good as DaS pvp in the first place
>>
>>333508694
>they can focus more on making each world unique
Except DaS locations are more unique and various than DeS ones.
>>
File: char_125593.jpg (16 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_125593.jpg
16 KB, 210x240
>>333538753

PLEASE

HELP ME!
>>
>>333539317
stop screaming you asshole, can't you see how nervous I am already with all the moaning and crying and that lady singing the theremin?

playing latria for the first time was stressful as fuck
>>
>>333539317
He's not the one screaming
>>
>>333539458

And the iron maidens, and the squid guys, and the metal jesus statue that has infinite arrow spam
>>
Demon's Souls' gameplay is faster.

That's why I like it more. It's just feels really fucking good to play, and I don't really want to say it, but it's that "arcadey" fast paced playstyle of Demon's that always makes me go back to it.

Also I played Dark Souls first if that means anything.
>>
>>333539990
>the iron maidens

>even when they didn't hurt you, they still played a loud sound just to spook you

no sir, I don't like it
>>
>>333538652
Yeah, it's really nice when a fantasy setting doesn't try to stand out by having a pantheon of deities. I know why going for polytheism is a thing in fantasy, but it's used so often now, when a setting goes back to monotheism it feels fresh again.
>>
>>333539998

I think describing Demon's Souls as arcadey is kind of accurate desu senpai.

Honestly, the sound effects in Demon's Souls are very video-gamey. It's kind of why I found it so hilarious when everyone described Demon's Souls as being "so realistic" I was like, bitch I've been playing since I imported the Korean version and it's not realistic at all.

Basically the game is really akin to like an NES or SNES game in modern times.
>>
>>333540535
How is DeS video gamey and DaS isn't?
>>
>>333540784
>Worlds broken into Levels
>Mega man style progression with every boss dropping a soul which can be used for a Weapon, Magic or Miracle.
>Rewarded for exploration (although Dark Souls does have this too)
>Rewarded for memorization (again same)

Dark Souls is still video gamey but a lot of the changes like Poise were kind of anti the essence of what made Demon's Souls so awesome. You were just a regular dude going up against really difficult odds. It was kind of like Arthur in Ghosts and Goblins.
>>
Something that I really liked in Demons was how clearcut the intro was

>Everyone has a soul
>there's an ancient being that consumes souls
>a gray fog appeared in boletaria and made everyone insane.
>There are demons consuming souls and protecting the ancient being.
>The more souls you have, the stronger you are.
>Some adventurers went out to Boletaria to fix that shit, but who knows what happened to them?
>Go out there and save the world, stranger.

It was direct and I immediately knew what I was after. The main character had this little jewel that was the source of the light he projected, and there was an explanation for the fog doors you'd find occasionally.

Then in Dark everything's like

>First there was nothing but also dragons
>then there was FIRE which brought HEAT and COLD and DEATH somehow now let us name drop the word DARK
>then THEY came and found the SOULS OF LORDS WITHIN THE FLAME
>Now we're gonna namedrop the fuck out of every boss, cause there's this guy called NITO and you wouldn't believe...
>Now there's this huge war and this dragon betrayed his own kind somehow or whatever
>And it was the AGE of FIRE
>But it's ending now
>And holy shit, the DARKSIGN

I had no fucking clue what the game wanted me to do with that information, nor how that was supposed to motivate me into any action. I still don't know why the chosen undead emits light or what the walls of white light are supposed to represent. It just bothered me to no end until the game finally caught up to all the lore it had dropped on me
>>
>>333502825
I'm playing through Demon's Souls for the third or so time because i'm bored, and it's kinda hard to go back to after playing DaS2. I especially hate only being able to roll in 4 directions while locked on.
>>
File: 1459016889092.jpg (22 KB, 363x320) Image search: [Google]
1459016889092.jpg
22 KB, 363x320
im currently playing through this for the first time after having 250 hours logged in dark souls

i beat all the bosses except the last one a while ago, and ive been fucking around and trying to collect stuff before ending it

this game is piss easy, but its fun as hell.
im not even saying its easy because i have 250
hours in dark souls; i barely ever died in this
game but i still have trouble with dark souls
sometimes
>>
>>333505404
>everyone saying youve got a heart of gold
>not HELLOH AGEN
>>
>>333541251
Well the broken archstone is the Northern Land of Giants, and that's where the fog first started, so it's quite possible DaS is a prequel to DeS, though they can't be so direct about it since Sony owns the IP
>>
>>333541251
Huh. I've always felt the same but never really thought about it. Nice one man.
>>
>>333541251
>>then there was FIRE which brought HEAT and COLD and DEATH somehow now let us name drop the word DARK

You're a moron.
>>
>>333541251
The intro to both games is great. I feel like your simplification of the intro to DaS really undermines what it was setting out to do, which was the same thing for DeS: setting up the world you were about to fuck around in. The intro basically sets up grand "gods" that you just know you'll be facing. At least the tutorial in DaS still kept teaching g you things about the story. The tutorial in DeS was just learning gameplay. DaS was both.
>>
>>333541251
>>333544175
Can confirm, he's a moron.
>>
File: 1396904703515.jpg (22 KB, 500x417) Image search: [Google]
1396904703515.jpg
22 KB, 500x417
Do you think we'll ever get a Souls fightan game?
>>
>>333502825
I'm not a fan of the over designed, high fantasy shit in Dark Souls ir Bloodborne.
I like the low fantasy, simplicity of Demon's Souls.
>>
>>333502825
ITT: people shill Demon Souls because it never got popular.
>>
>>333544375
Nah, he's right. DaS's infodump in the intro is way more clumsy and awkward.
>>
>>333502825

Best zones in the series in terms of Atmosphere

1. Tower of Latria 3-1
2. Unseen Village (Kidnap visit)
3. Darkroot Basin (not Garden or the forestfag area)
4. Shrine of Storm 4-2
5. Astral Clock Tower
6. The Abyss
7. Shrine of Amana

Only envious mustards disagree.
>>
>>333544957

Demon's was popular as fuck, what are you on about?
>>
>>333545069
are you actually supposed to do the whole Unseen Village when you get kidnapped? I always would get wrecked and just ran to the lamp.
>>
Despite magic being generally OP, I liked having a mana bar much more than 3-5 uses of a single spell. Felt like I didn't have to focus on melee with a side of magic.
>>
>>333545321
the only reason Dark Souls got made in the first place was that Demon's was a surprise hit and they wanted to do a multiplat version of it
>>
File: 1376565651499.png (253 KB, 679x632) Image search: [Google]
1376565651499.png
253 KB, 679x632
>>333545069
>no Firelink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2llS87avh2w
>>
>>333545321
DeS 1.83 million
DaS 8.5 million
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31689/demons-souls/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-01-dark-souls-series-sales-surpass-8-5-million
>>
>>333502825
Its much harder.

I feel like after you beat DaS once it becomes easy

Demon's always challenges me
>>
>>333545805
>1 console vs 3

That aside, just because Das is popular doesn't mean demons isn't

Especially when you take into consideration demons got fuck all for advertisement
>>
>>333545805

>Two million copies isn't popular

Tell me, do you work for EA or Capcom?
>>
>>333545805

Others have given reasons, but also consider that it became a meme that dark souls was the hardest game ever, so that no doubt helped with bandwagoners
>>
>mfw couldn't beat 4-2
Fuck those necromancers, my character is too slow to beat them up in time
>>
Having played DaS3 since the Japanese launch, and having played through all five games just before, I think I've got a pretty solid feel on all of the compared to each other since they're all so fresh in my mind. Personally I think I'd rank them about like this:

DaS3 > BB > DeS = DaS > DaS2

My reasoning for DaS2 being last is to extensive to get into and everyone pretty much universally agrees anyway. For DeS and DaS being tied, I feel that each one is very similar in a broad sense and their biggest differences are mostly a matter of taste. I don't think one can truly, objectively separate the two in terms of quality since they each have very different strengths and weaknesses.

I'd say ones preferences and first Souls experience would affect this much more greater than deeper analysis. For me, none of their strengths overpower the other's weaknesses. DaS is a lot larger and interconnected which suited its level design wonderfully, however it does take a notable dip in quality in the second half. Only Izalith is really bad, the rest are just notably weaker than the preceding content due to a break down of the game's overarching level design philosophy.

DeS on the other hand is very consistent in its quality throughout, and Latria is one of my favorite levels not just in Soulsborne but of any game I've played. It also had the Old Monk which is such a unique and wonderful concept for a boss fight only Souls could really pull off in this context. DeS is faster but slightly less responsive, DaS is slower but more methodical. DeS has better thematic undercurrents in its bosses, but DaS has better boss fights. DeS' lore is more straightforward and interesting but never expanded upon as much as DaS, which also benefited from more content in general as well as DLC and sequels.

The differences, pros and cons just continue forever really and I don't think it would be easy at all to really dive into precise mechanics because again, each one has different pros/cons.
>>
>>333515384
Well it was if you know the history of it.
Sony owned the rights to Demon's Souls but it was From Software's game.
FromSoft wanted to make a sequel to DeS but it would have to be PS3 exclusive only.
So they used most of the ideas and gameplay in a game that was similar but different enough so Sony couldn't sue them.
>>
>>333548048
The reason I've placed BB above them is because I think it's the most singularly consistent game of the series, and many of its highs are astronomical. The fast combat is exquisite and very different, the entire setting, story, and tone are radical departures, it was a massive breath of fresh air for me personally and especially after Souls 2. I don't think DaS2's disappointment is really affecting my opinion here now so much because I've had so much time with all the games.

I think BB did something really special with the transition from "Victorian Werewolf in London" to "Eldritch Dreamquest Alien Nightmare." It pulled off cosmic horror really well, where the entire conflict regarding the plague was such a minuscule problem in the end due to the vastly larger issues than humanity could ever truly be concerned with. Really solid mechanics, great world design, and Old Hunters was just phenomenal. The lore was the most fascinating to me personally, I loved the level design, and the atmosphere of it.

Finally for DaS3 I believe it's a perfect combination of all the series strengths while avoiding most of the problems. It's very consistent in quality with only one secret area notably weaker than the rest, it has DeS' great thematic bosses mixed with DaS and BB's great boss mechanics. It's got some really solid lore than does expand upon DaS but in meaningful ways. The level design is just superb and the best in the entire series in my opinion. I don't want to go into spoilers but the final boss is also a perfect ending to me. The whole game feels like a Greatest Hits collection where everything has been largely improved upon. The combat is a perfect blend between DeS, DaS, and BB to me.

I love all the games, I even like DaS2. Even though I rank DeS and DaS just a little below BB and DaS3 doesn't mean they're not two of my absolute favorite games. In fact my four favorites are some of my favorite games ever.
>>
>>333520976
You don't have to beat Boletaria just 1-1, you can't get into 1-3 before beating one of the other areas completely.
>>
>>333528880
Is that true though?
People said that about Dark 2 compared to Dark 1. If anything Dark 3 appears to be just Bloodborne for multiplat, like how Dark 1 was Demon's for multiplat.
>>
I want to go back to Boletaria
>>
DeS has by far the worst bosses in the series, even worse than throwaway shit in DaS 2
>>
>>333528686
>>333537058
Yeah I'd rather that than just having the Dark Souls issue of lots of bosses have big HP bars, either roll or block and chip the health down slowly.
>>
>>333548505
Yeah it was a more interesting area than a lot of the stuff in DaS, where there was just cities for the hell of it. The Boletaria Palace/Castle actually felt like the heavily fortified seat of an Empire.
>>
File: 1412924931692.jpg (155 KB, 673x733) Image search: [Google]
1412924931692.jpg
155 KB, 673x733
>>333510251
>those two maneaters ganging up on me
>>
>>333502825
Its faster and I like the weapon movesets more even if there's less of them
>>
>>333548505
Although it didn't make much sense why the human guards didn't get attacked by the dreglings and vice versa
>>
>>333549253
Both the human guards and dreglings had lost their souls. They didn't attack eachother because they only seek humans WITH souls.
>>
>>333548508
I'd like to disagree but I've only done 5 bosses in DaS2, basically all of them summed up to ''circle to the right and attack when the time is right''.

So yeah I dunno if they'll get better but so far DeS is above that on the merit that it has Tower Knight and firelurker and false king allant which are fun fights
>>
>>333549093
>Google gives me some pretty nice pictures of chicks getting railed, but not the source of this

Help an anon out.
>>
It's just a rehash of Dark Souls. They made most of Dark, realized that they needed an ebin exclusive for the Sonyponies to wank over, so they threw Demon's together with pieces of what they had done of Dark so they could get back to work on it.

Same with Bloodborne and DaS 3. They test the waters on Sony shit and then release the real deal on all platforms.
>>
>>333548458
Dark 1 is fundamentally different in level design though
>>
>>333549426
quality post
>>
>>333549426
But DeS is on par and sometimes even better than DaS1 and I'm an unbiased idort that played DaS1 on PC
>>
File: 1459778485608.jpg (55 KB, 960x904) Image search: [Google]
1459778485608.jpg
55 KB, 960x904
/v/'s official ranking

Demon's Souls>Dark Souls 1=Bloodborne >>>>Dark Souls 2

ps. You all have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you.
>>
>>333549492
and that's about it, you have Dark 2 that goes back to a node system and adds the connected levels.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.