[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>kojima does a bunch of cancerous modern shit like open-world,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13
File: mgs5.jpg (38 KB, 540x309) Image search: [Google]
mgs5.jpg
38 KB, 540x309
>kojima does a bunch of cancerous modern shit like open-world, mission-based, cover shooting, online features in single player
>ends up making one of the best games ever

explain this
>>
It was alright

Honestly Afghanistan should have been the only open world and Africa should have just been set piece missions. The African sandbox was pretty crappy
>>
>>333498271
>best game ever
It was shit and is the worst MGS title.
>>
>>333498271
I don't know anon, KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS(TM) must just be THAT good. I mean, who else could make such a fantastic game? We truly are blessed by these amazing developers.
>>
>>333498271
You'll learn this eventually, but your opinion is not everybody's opinion.
>>
Had the best stealth in any of the games.
""""""""open world""""""""" was pointless and essentially boiled down to cliffs bordering roads, it was essentially just alternate points of entry to areas extended over long roads

Story a shit and everyone knows that. But the gamplay is the best so far.
>>
>>333498525
Chaos Theory was better.
>>
>>333498271
> ends up making one of the best games ever

Except he didn't. It was a good game, but not great, not even a game of the year. It's very disappointing for actual metal gear fans.

If this was your first game, maybe I can see why you're blind to it, but it's there.
>>
>those unfathomable amount of extraction missions
How is a game one of the best ever when it's so repetitive? And it's literally a peace walker 2.0
>>
>>333498442
Worse than 4?

>>333498578
>le go from shadow to shadow: the game
>>
>>333498395
>>333498525
I liked the open world a lot actually. I felt like most areas flowed into each other nicely compared to other games like Fallout 3 and NV which I feel were more "theme park" styled.

see: sandbox vs theme park mmos
>>
>>333498271
Because the games that were cancer did those things poorly. Nearly any idea can be good so long as it's done properly and I think that a lot of /v/ is too quick to write off certain themes and concepts as "Cancer" because a lot of the games that use said themes and concepts are shit, and there's too many of them.

I also find it a bit ironic that it's games being too open and filled with shit that people are complaining about rather than games being linear. Now people want MORE linear games.
>>
he sacrificed fun
>>
>>333498692
>le fulton everything: the game
>>
>>333498815
Because at least with linear games shit is always happening but with open world, you have to walk for like ten minutes to get to an enemy
>>
>>333498902
Yeah that was annoying, but you don't actually need the upgrades. CT on the other hand you can only stealth.
>>
>>333498678
>no true scotsman
>>
>empty empy world
>good

I didn't even expect unrealistic, GTA level shit like some people but seriously, the sandbox element was pretty poor. Just extra ground to travel. Wild animals and plants were not enough. The old MGS games had small areas that felt really big because of the density details and interactive elements.
>>
>>333499263
That's the irony. MGS3 felt more like real world than empy and dead MGSV desert.
>>
hey is there anyway to lower your demon points? I'm pretty sure I've exceeded 20,000 points by now because the shrapnel horn is large.
>>
>>333499916

Get heroism points
>>
>>333498271
You mean one of the most boring and repetitive.
>>
>>333498271
The same happened to Mass Effect 3
>>
>>333499916
I hear visiting the animal platform lowers it a lot.
>>
>>333498271

Literally every mgs has cover shooting shut the fuck up
>>
>>333499916
Fulton kids.
>>
>>333501146
but not Gears / Uncharted-styled
>>
>>333498902
>not liking fultoning
>>
Genre doesn't matter. Talent and work discipline does. You hate open-world games because shit devs like Ubishit ran the concept into the ground.
>>
>>333498271
How are any of those cancerous?
>>
>>333501683
anything v hates is cancerous
>>
File: acu-640x400.png (336 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
acu-640x400.png
336 KB, 640x400
>>333501683
They're not but the western AAA industry has milked those concepts to death. I guess people are pretty sceptical about those things when they should instead be sceptical of certain publishers and devs.
>>
>>333501574
Could be fun if you had extremely limited amount of them so you had to decide what is really worth using it for. When you have 10+ and even like 40+ later in the game it completely ruins all the fun. You don't need to hide bodies, you don't need to plan your escape, you don't need anything. Sure, there always was cheap things like tranq gun but fulton is entirely new level.
>>
>>333502057
>>333502002
Fair points
>>
>>333502002
So, everything?
>>
>>333502293
yes
>>
>>333502063
Did you really fulton each and every soldier?
Not everyone was worth extracting. Sure it was an easy way or making sure you couldnt be found if you were worried about bodies but hiding them took almost as much effort and didnt have a crazy high risk
>>
>>333501683
>open world, mission-based
Generally, most devs do these to avoid putting any thought into the level and objective design.

>cover shooting
Generally, lazy gameplay design. Games like MGS2 and CoD don't need cover shooting and allow you to make your own cover by giving you the option to pop your head around corners in first person view.

>online elements in single player
This should be more obvious. Xbone and PS4 both require you pay for online service (I refuse to pay though) so by not paying, you're not getting the full single player experience. On PC or consoles with free online, one could also see it as limiting the full single player experience if the online isn't working.
>>
>>333498692
Yes. Worse than 4. By a lot.
>>
Open world never needed to be a thing because there's nothing of interest other than random outposts and having to wait 2 minutes for a helicopter. The game shouldve started you out in front of where you needed to be for missions and have helicopter scenes optional and it wouldve flowed better.
>>
>>333498692
Yes. At least 4 had some soul to it. MGSV is just mechanics splashed on an empty canvas
>>
>>333498692
It's miles worse than 4 holy shit.
It's fucking worse than Portable Ops
>>
>>333502627
no online access in single player restricts your single player experience?

Others are fair, but that's more bad devs than bad features
>>
>>333502741
>having to wait 2 minutes for a helicopter
You could teleport instantly to a helicopter.
>>
>>333502615
I was constantly cycling out the shit dudes into combat units and sending them on suicide missions. I don't think my base ever hit capacity but I was using Fulton on damn near everyone. It only becomes a waste of time later when you strating going above S, thenyou pick and choose.
>>
>>333502917
>You could teleport instantly to a helicopter.
Not during a mission you fucking retard
>>
>>333498271
its garbage and online is dead. nice try kojima
>>
>>333503364
>online is dead
why is that anyway? havent tried it yet but it looks pretty fun
>>
>>333503289
Then it was part of the fucking mission escaping the hot zone properly. And you could literally leave the AO and then the mission would end. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>333504248
My biggest gripe was waiting in the helicopter before each mission while the credits spoiled who was going to show up. The helicopter was fucking stupid.
>>
>>333504248
>Moving the goalpost while being this much a fucking retard
No wonder you like MGSV.
>>
>>333505417
What fucking goalpost? You want to instantly teleport outside of missions? Are you this fucking retarded? Who not also complain that you must sneak past guards instead of instantly completing the mission?
>>
File: 1459885490915.jpg (66 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
1459885490915.jpg
66 KB, 526x526
>>333505496
lol jesus christ
>>
Why can't the chopper just pick me up and relocate me without going to the chopper scene like I can on mother base?
>>
>>333499916
Fulton kids and animals. Visiting the Animal Reserve lowers it by 300. Do not kill animals or use lethal shit like fire bombs, gives you shit loads of demon points, go non-lethal.
>>
>>333504058
Everyone played it on their respective releases and realised it wasn't as good as MGO2. I still had some fun with it but it was barebones especially in customisation compared to it predecessor.
>>
>ends up making one of the best games ever
Where?
>>
>>333498395
>The African sandbox was pretty crappy

It was ok. Needed more jungle though. The jungle part near the mansion was cool but waaaaaay too small.
>>
File: this triggers the v.jpg (31 KB, 779x112) Image search: [Google]
this triggers the v.jpg
31 KB, 779x112
>>333506875
Right here.
>>
>>333507583
GZ was pretty good, but it's not one of the best.
I certainly hope you're not implying V is anywhere close to the top. It's not even the best MGS game.
And thank you for showing me you wasted hundreds of hours on childrens entertainment, really helps validate your point.
>>
>>333507735
>And thank you for showing me you wasted hundreds of hours on childrens entertainment
What are you doing on this board intended for children's entertainment? That's even more pathetic than what he's doing.
>>
>>333507816
OK.
>>
>>333507735
You're welcome.
>>
>>333498271
Not even Kojimbo believes this.
>>
>>333498271
as someone who played 70 hours of GZ, who actually understands game design, who played all of the mainline MGS games and PW in preparation and hated them all sans MGS1 and maybe 2, I can with safety say that TPP is not even a good game

its around 30 hours of content sprinkled across 100 hours with a garbage le make ur own fun meme in there

almost every mission is "that" mission, the only somewhat fun ones are simple shit like C2W, a heros way, and pitch dark- cant fucking kill nigglets either

I can with safety say this game COULD be fun if it dropped all pretension of trying to be realistic, included co op, and had a ratchet and clank weapon styled powerwheel where you get instant access to a weapon of every type, a car, a helicopter, box, every buddy etc etc at all times without retarded drop ins that add yet another padding of 1 minute of nothing

it feels "Organic" and fun for the first 10 hours, then you realize just how much fucking padding there is

im a girl btw, that makes what I say worth alot more than all these stupid boys
>>
>>333498271
The gameplay is fucking good, he does shit great. And he doesn't skimp on plot details or exposition, he integrated it so you can play and listen.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (7 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
7 KB, 243x207
>>333508069
>who actually understands game design
Have you ever made a game?
>>
>>333508069
>girl

Opinion discarded, post tits.
>>
>>333508314
no, but I was designing one for 1,5 years before realizing ill just rather make a book first and then adapt that into a game

inb4 you cant understand game design unless youve been working at ubisoft, you cant review a game reliably unless youre IGN etc etc

TPP butchers most of the elements from GZ involving tight design, such as a more limited inventory with the weapons tactically placed around the map (more relevant on hard where you only start off with the tranq) the much better, dense and complicated level design, more scripted NPC interactions inside the levels, the set camo and spawn points for the levels etc etc

>>333508489
after you post yours
>>
>>333508220
he integrated it onto cassette tapes because theyre lazy with cutscenes and it's easier to put in. Even the final revelation with Venom realizing who he is was done by cassette tape, I was expecting better.
>>
>>333508602
not him, but if you sneak up on targets and listen to their conversation, a lot of information is given. Plus, cassette tapes are not much different than using codec.
>>
>>333508573
TPP doesn't "butcher" anything. GZ was designed the way it was so players could experience as much as possible as a teaser for V. GZ was extremely limited and did the same thing V did.

>long cutscene to open
>dialogue say here's your objective
>do it
>small scene
>guards have some dialogue if you choose to listen

The GZ is better than V meme is so retarded.
>>
>>333508868
Im sorry youre 14 and dont understand anything about games except ooga booga CoD ripoff because the aim down button is the same
>>
>>333508602
No he put the tapes in because of the constant complaints of the series having too many scenes, especially with 4. The whole point of V was to integrate gameplay and storytelling as well as possible. And as someone who has played 1-3 dozens of times I had no problem with tapes, I still love my codec in fact I'm playing 2 right now and really enjoying it but is just a completely different game from the ground up.
>>
>>333502787
>It's fucking worse than Portable Ops

Whoa whoa whoa.
Lets not go too far now.
PO is easily the second worse 3D MG game, with Metal Gear Acid 1 barely beating it.
>>
>>333509015
Nice argument, no surprise you're a woman. Good luck with your game and book that will probably be mediocre garbage anyways.
>>
>>333498525
No it fucking didn't. It was too big and there were too many hiding spots. If a soldier spots you, all you have to do is run away in one direction. And they don't even chase you.
>>
File: MGSV experience.jpg (142 KB, 640x685) Image search: [Google]
MGSV experience.jpg
142 KB, 640x685
>>333509212
No, youre the one who hasnt spouted a single "argument"

you said its the exact same game because it has the similar cinematic approach and the guards also have dialogue? fucking retard, is MGS3 the same as TPP too?

They are completely different games, with the only similarity being the general control scheme they share, even the fucking graphics are better and animations are different and heavier with more inertia in GZ
>>
File: 1441654748774.jpg (113 KB, 334x339) Image search: [Google]
1441654748774.jpg
113 KB, 334x339
>>333498271
>Cover shooting is bad

Hey

Fuck you pal

die in a fire
>>
File: 1442685520015.jpg (128 KB, 853x1431) Image search: [Google]
1442685520015.jpg
128 KB, 853x1431
>>
>>333509452
GZ and the rest of the missions are designed exactly like TPP was. Sure it was more jam packed into one area I'll give you that but that doesn't mean much, it is a base that doesn't have much function outside of being there and the only interaction you have is flipping the switch on the electricity box. You sound so fucking retarded spouting this "they're completely different games" bullshit. The games are structured the same, that was my argument.

>Saying GZ is like TPP is like saying TPP is similar to MGS3

How fucking stupid are you?

>even the fucking graphics are better and animations are different and heavier with more inertia in GZ

Nevermind this answers that nicely. Please show me some proof, prove to me that you aren't a pretentious
>>
>>333509923
no way is this real
>>
>>333509923
>>333510073
They are all missing links though
>>
>>333510064
>Expecting a logical argument from a woman

kek, good luck buddy.
>>
>>333509923
And now we will never get the actual missing link
>>
>>333509923
>Kojima loses all his links
>And then his job
That explains it.
>>
>>333510073
They are, they are all from trailers.
>>
>>333498271
>best games ever

You're a funny guy, OP, That's why I'll report you last.
>>
File: 1442506545556.jpg (460 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442506545556.jpg
460 KB, 1920x1080
>>333510064
>Saying GZ is like TPP is like saying TPP is similar to MGS3
>How fucking stupid are you?

according to this list>>333508868 they are

GZ has

>rescue two prisoners, tightly designed level, this is the entry point with these paths you can take, with these weapons, weather and lighting conditions (side objectives include the prisoners at the cages and the escaped one+ collecting the XOF patches and the respective tape of the level)

>destroy these AAA emplacements, oh shit tank out of nowhere fight it with the C4 or snag a rocket launcher from a warehouse OH SHIIT THE PLACE IS BLOWING UP (with the side objectives of the prisoners at the cages, the one solitary prisoner at the boiler room, and the respective tape of the mission)

apply that to the rest, cant bother typing all out

TPP
>every mission
>boss its your choice...but fulton him/it/her/them
>boss the weather and equipment is also your choice
>and the entry point
>boss what choices do you want
>oh well choice dog will spot all choices for you and then you can call in the choicshe to kill them from the top of the cliff

its so simple, you simply dont understand anything about games if you think they are the same
>>
>>333498271

I'm afraid you're literally retarded. Maybe just an extreme case of kojimadronism. I'm afraid the only cure is to kill yourself
>>
>>333499696
This. Holy shit
>>
So now that Kojima got fired for delivering a turd two years behind schedule what is he going to do now without his precious IP?
>>
>>333498271

Easy.

The core gameplay is flawless. When you construct something that at its base level is so undeniably amazing, most other flaws can be overlooked.

Couple that with interesting gameplay facets like fulton, buddy system, upgrade system, mother base, all that stuff. It leaves it open for anyone to enjoy at least one part of the game, which opens them up to enjoying the game as a whole.

And then you have the jaded diehard fans who got buttmad because the story doesn't align with their headcanon.
>>
>>333498271
It's boring
I literally fell asleep traveling through the open world
>>
>>333511048
I didn't like peace walker, portable ops, ZoE, or MGR.

you are just incapable of accepting that a game can be good, popular, and modern.
>>
>most of /v/
>goes around shooting the place up
>only does one of the seven objectives in the mission
>gets E rank
>goes on an anime board to complain about how the game is shit

this is why gamefaqs will always be a better site than you, /v/
>>
>>333510865
>this is the entry point with these paths you can take,

That's the entire point of V and how Kojima designed it, for someone constantly trying to point out how others "don't know about game design" you sure are ignorant.

>weather and lighting conditions
>either raining or day time

You're just spouting shit off to seem smart and informed.

>side objectives include the prisoners at the cages and the escaped one+ collecting the XOF patches and the respective tape of the level

Whoah so you mean the same shit you do in V? There's tapes and collectibles all over and prisoners to rescue constantly.

>destroy these AAA emplacements, oh shit tank out of nowhere fight it with the C4 or snag a rocket launcher from a warehouse OH SHIIT THE PLACE IS BLOWING UP

Are you trying to tell me V never does anything like this? How about in mission 6 where you get the special launcher and can use it on the skulls? Or all the times random skulls show up, or mission 9 where you destroy tanks and can end up getting very powerful launchers that aren't possible to develop at this point? Practically every other mission that takes some planning to complete fully and do well? I could go on.

You don't know shit, you can be a pretend Dev all you want but it doesn't mean shit apparently when you don't play games
>>
>>333498271
It would have been better without those "cancerous" things.
>>
>>333511980
not the other guy but your post looks like a pathetic attempt at a rebuttal
>>
>>333512254
>there's collectibles, weather conditions, and traps!
>you don't know about game development!!
>implying v doesn't do all that too
>here's my simplified list of what V is

Ok
>>
>>333498271
If V wasn't open world it would've been better
>>
>>333503023
fultons were still better used on things other than soldiers on the map unless you don't mind calling in reinforcements every 5 mins.
>>
File: Sam Payne.gif (3 MB, 420x238) Image search: [Google]
Sam Payne.gif
3 MB, 420x238
>>333511980
>weather and lighting conditions
>either raining or day time
>You're just spouting shit off to seem smart and informed.

what are you even trying to say here retard?

>hat's the entire point of V and how Kojima designed it,

the entire point of being shit and you being fucking stupid? the fundamental design difference is what I was pointing at, GZ drops you off and right off the bat you have 2 choices ( by the cliffside, by the iron gate, either way you challenge the spotlight)

>Whoah so you mean the same shit you do in V? There's tapes and collectibles all over and prisoners to rescue constantly.

if you cant see why they are different from GZ to TPP then youre an intentionally dense retard

>Are you trying to tell me V never does anything like this? How about in mission 6 where you get the special launcher and can use it on the skulls? Or all the times random skulls show up, or mission 9 where you destroy tanks and can end up getting very powerful launchers that aren't possible to develop at this point?

skulls? you mean the enemies you can actually run away from?

>You don't know shit, you can be a pretend Dev all you want but it doesn't mean shit apparently when you don't play games

played TPP alone for something between 250 and 300 hours, I dont see anyone in the thread agreeing with your retarded, clueless fanboyism

>>333512790
>>implying v doesn't do all that too

is that what I said? fucking idiot
>>
GZ is a better game than TPP. deal with it.

It provides a better experience in less time. The missions are multi layered and different from one another. As opposed to boss fulton that tank/guard/blueprint/tank.
>>
tpp sucked because something awesome didn't happen every time I pressed a button :(
>>
>>333513508
>GZ is a better game than TPP
nah, GZ is literally just 5 main ops worth of content from TPP. I don't know how someone can call the missions in TPP more repetitive when what we get in GZ is the exact same stuff
>>
>>333513508
Because it was able to focus on a fully realized area without the fluff of having to integrate it into an open world. Hence why the more elaborate areas like the mansion and Skullface's base are isolated from the rest of the map so developers can make things how they want without worrying about the rest of the map
>>
>>333513141
There's usually no more than 1 or 2 worth taking in a group.
>>
>>333498271
MGS5 Sucked Ass. A shitty and poorly designed game. A true disgrace to the franchise
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.