[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Subnautica
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: subnautica-header-image[1].jpg (1 MB, 1749x876) Image search: [Google]
subnautica-header-image[1].jpg
1 MB, 1749x876
Has anyone played this? It's apparently been out for over a year but it went under my radar and I only today found out about it.

I both love and fear the ocean and sea creatures, so it piqued my interest, but it's also Early Access. Does it have a decent amount of content or is it something that gets old after a few hours? I'm pretty jewy and I'm wary of anything Early Access, so I'm on the fence about buying it.
>>
>>333433109
Its very good but its a little early to dive in.
It does have content tho but i dont think its worth it yet
>>
>>333433389
How often do the devs add shit? The Steam page says they were shooting for a 2015 release but it's now April 2016.
>>
File: 2016-03-01_10-17-01.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-01_10-17-01.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1080
It's a pretty solid game. Can be a little buggy. Does have enough content for its price, but it's still early access.

My biggest issue is pop-in, which is very obvious at times. But I do enjoy playing it a lot.
>>
File: GCC.png (103 KB, 638x405) Image search: [Google]
GCC.png
103 KB, 638x405
>>333433573

Dev is a gun control cuck, why support this shit?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/523897653306355954/#c371918937268702725
>>
>>333433961
>Adding guns in an exploration/horror game

Fuck off.
>>
>>333433804
jesus christ i remember when i found one of those

>just finish making my small sub
>go out exploring
>out and about around the starship
>>also in a skype call at the moment
>sub suddenly stops going forwards and is spun around and is facing this beast's head
>smashing into my sub
>am literally screaming like a bitch at this point
>try and bail newly crafted sub
>monster got bugged or something and grabbed me
>switched to the mini swimming thing to try and escape
>YOUGOINNOWHERE.mp4
>die
>stealthfully swim back to my sub, beacon showing me the way
>hide behind the sub and slowly repair with the monster swimming around in the distance
>get in and floor it, rushing to the surface
>fly out what seems and feels like 30ft
>land and motor to my base

was worth paying for just for that experience.

skype friend was laughing at me the whole goddamn time
>>
>>333433573
Honestly I've been looking at it because Markiplier and Vinesauce have been playing it lately and I'm pretty fucking impressed at what I see. There's clearly a lot of work yet to be done but what they have so far is a solid, enjoyable experience all on its own. It's one of the few early access things that I would actually consider being worth the buy. The sort of thing where you'd play it now and get blown away by how cool it is, and then in half a year to a year replay it and get blown away by how much they've added since.

>>333433961
>school shootings every day. Every. Single. Day.
eugh

The dev... does decent work, despite the misinformation behind their thinking, and I don't mind that the game has guns. All it really means is we get rad knives and torpedoes and potentially even some kind of futuristic harpoon down the line.

In the end, I try not to think of it as supporting them, but supporting what is turning out to be a really cool game in a genre that is woefully short on this kind of content.

>>333434260
Also this. The existence of knives alone already hurts the potential horror factor but who knows, maybe this is a happy medium. You have some kind of weapon at least but it's not terribly effective, some kind of 'hope before despair' shit. I'm pulling words out of my ass at this point.
>>
>>333434428
I don't mind that the game doesn't have guns, I meant to say.
Proofreading, kids!
>>
I see many people compare it to Minecraft. Is that true? And if so, is it more the survival aspect, or the crafting aspect? Because I have a really shitty imagination so I never got too into Minecraft. I did, however, really get into Terraria just because that game has a logical progression with bosses and shit.
>>
>>333434724

People who compare it to minecraft are silly. Sure, it has survival and crafting, but that's where the comparison stops.

This game is more about exploration.
>>
>>333433961
I'm pretty conservative on many issues, but I'm also a gun control cuck.
>>
>>333434724
I'd say it's a little more like Minecraft. The combat isn't particularly fleshed out, and I get the feeling it's not even going to be a core point like it is with Terraria where building and combat feel like they have equal weight.

You go around, smash rocks and search the ground for resources (although digging is more for building's sake than resource gathering, and that's only later once you have a decent infrastructure), then go back home and expand your underwater base via prebuilt modules that you can place and rotate and add on to in various ways - there's not a whole lot of customization to it at present. It's very... sterile, almost utilitarian in nature.

I do think however that the game has more exploration and horror/survivor aspects to it than Minecraft does, with far cooler, rarely-seen locales and mostly methods to SURVIVE enemies than actually kill them.

It should be noted that the game is, from what I can understand, pre-made, hand-crafted rather than being randomly generated.

Spoilers inbound:
[/spoiler]There's some kind of very, very basic story at present, mostly based around finding wreckage and old bases from other potential survivors.

The coolest part of the game at current is when you can build a huge fucking submarine, basically a slow-moving mobile base that is itself customizable and can dock your smaller, more maneuverable sea vehicle.
>>
>>333433109
subnautica is really good and gets updated literally every day

but i've stopped playing it because i want to play a more final version
>>
Thanks guys, I went ahead and bought it. I'm pretty asshurt that I missed this shit when it was 40% off, but I bought it from G2A so I still saved a few.
>>
>>333434260

it isnt even the guns, it's wanting to not be at the top of the food chain

i hope he gets eaten by a bear or something
>>
>>333434428

>Honestly I've been looking at it because Markiplier

stopped right there.
found the problem.
>>
>>333435570

you use some streamer code like some piece of shit or something?
>>
>>333435819
He's one of the least cancerous youtubers I've stumbled across and sometimes can actually be decently funny at times, although I've stopped watching his Yandere Simulator vids because how he turns his 'pretend to be crazy' schtick up to 12 in a rather annoying way.

At the very least, I'm not the same kind of schmuck who would watch pewdiepie or smosh or whoever the fat gingerbearded dwarf who did minecraft was. Was that yogs? I can never remember.
>>
I keep finding myself enticed by the concept of "survival" games but none of them ever actually grab my attention properly. It makes me sad.
>>
>>333435819

You don't realise that youtubers are no different from TV hosts, right? That a lot of it is a persona. People like Markiplier know their target audience.
>>
>>333436662
Because simple survival usually isn't enough on its own, it's the road to survival. Games that can let you build a protective and supportive infrastructure like sandbox games or automation games like Minecraft, Minecraft Mods, and Factorio, can be great about this when you're careful to not get caught by bullshit.

Subnautica is as much about exploration and infrastructure as it is about survival, although to be honest probably moreso since the game's survival elements haven't been fully fleshed out yet, given that some creatures will in the future eventually start attacking your base if it gets big enough.

Getting the stasis or deterrence weaponry feel really satisfying because they can help you to delve into areas with assholes like Reaper Leviathans without having to skulk around like a thief.

Survival, unfortunately, I think is a gimmick that needs to be tacked on to other games, rather than the core feature of the game itself. The unfortunate truth is that a true Survival game would be an extraordinarily niche thing, since it takes a lot of patience, willpower, and determination to enjoy the idea of going to ridiculous meticulous lengths to make sure you don't die, since the only kind of survival game that's satisfying is one where you have to recover something if you fuck up, and going through the effort of gearing yourself back up to the point that you might be able to find your shit and recover it is... an arduous experience that I think the most common element wouldn't much enjoy.

Most games are themed around survival in one way or another. Beating the bad guy, reaching your destination without too much scathe, and so on, so featuring a game EXPLICITLY based around the GAMEPLAY of survival is a tricky and often pointless endeavor, I feel, and lends itself most strongly to flavour of the week deals.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.