[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What a mistake.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11
File: why.jpg (40 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
40 KB, 600x337
What a mistake.
>>
I fucking love the Steam controller
>>
>>333428929

Do you play Souls games with it, successfully?

Tell me your secrets.
>>
>>333429023
No, but only because the Souls games are awful and I don't play them.

I play DMC4SE and Platinum's stuff with it though.
>>
>>333429023
https://youtu.be/fzl30LLvd98
Put those settings on. Works fine for me.
>>
valve should get off their ass and release a definitive steambox then maybe steamos would get some fucking games
>>
As a non pc gamer, I don't understand how it's possible to use this shit. Where the fuck is the other analog stick? What the fuck is that round thing on the right side of the controller? There doesn't even seem to have bumpers and triggers.
>>
>>333430580
The thing on the right is a touch pad that acts as a right analog stick of sorts. It's way more accurate though and can mimic a mouse.
There are bumpers and triggers with extra back triggers.
>>
Still can't decide if I'm going to play DS3 on this and possibly crush it, or just use my 360 pad.
>>
File: 1455921548923.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
1455921548923.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>333429186
>No, but only because the Souls games are awful and I don't play them.
>>
>>333428929
If I have an X-Box controller for my PC already, is it worth replacing it with Steam Controller? What ar e the cons and rpos for various genres?
>>
this thread stinks of reddit
>>
>>333430214
I don't agree that one version of Steam Machine would be good.
I think that there should be even more selection.
It's what made Android dominant, it's what could make Steam Machines take over living room.
>>
>>333429186
dark souls is really fun anon you should give it another shot
>>
>>333432491

close your legs
>>
>>333432497
yeah I don't agree there should only be one steam machine. But I think valve needs to make one to get things going, because at the moment people aren't porting their games to steamos. Valve needs to take the lead and get people on board
>>
>>333428480
I have one, and it's actually quite nice.
>>
... I like it. Not for everything mind you, but for games with no official controller support, I think it works great. Except when steam takes a shit and drops out of big picture in the middle of a game.
>>
>>333432797
steam os is just linux, and people are porting games to linux and therefore steam os. you are retarded
>>
File: 1423854408996.jpg (5 KB, 245x206) Image search: [Google]
1423854408996.jpg
5 KB, 245x206
>>333429186
git gud.
>>
>>333433105
>filters
>>
File: 1399568690190.jpg (49 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
1399568690190.jpg
49 KB, 402x402
>>333432658
>>
>>333432797
Yep
I was hoping that once they get VR out they would return their focus on SteamOS, but it's a bit early to draw conclusions about that since VR came out yesterday according to Steam.

I would love to see more hardware manufacturers jump on board. Linux/SteamOS now has 2K+ games, that's far from nogaems, so it should be appealing to some people.
But yes, Valve has to be the one who initiates this.
What can I do to make Linux/SteamOS more widely recognised/adopted besides shitpost on /v/?
>>
>>333433096
I know steamos is linux you useless cunt. But take one look look at the Linux selection on steam and tell me it isn't awful. It's mostly indie garbage
>>
Works great with tree of savior, grinding while in my comfy couch.
>>
>>333432586
They're not, though. They're the action game equivalent of pixel hunting point-n-click adventure games.

They confuse difficulty for depth. Yes, Dark Souls is hard. So is drinking a gallon of milk in 45 minutes. That doesn't mean either is fun or engaging.
>>
>>333430580
The actual analog stick is worthless

>left track pad is left analogue stick
>left track pad click is jump
>right track pad is mouse
>when touching right pad, gyroscope is fine mouse control

Get on my level.
>>
>>333433446
Linux has nogaems that anyone cares about
Where's Fallout 4? Where's Witcher 3? Rise of the Tomb Raider? MGS? GTA? FarCry? Elder Scrolls? Dark Souls? Sonic? Mortal Kombat? Resident Evil? Devil May Cry? Pretty much all Capcom, SEGA, Ubisoft, EA, Namco, and Atlus games? Pretty much all Japanese games?
I can play all that shit on Windows if I'm a PC gamer, and if I want a TV box, Playstation and Xbox have them all too.
>>
>>333433446
>What can I do to make Linux/SteamOS more widely recognised/adopted besides shitpost on /v/?
Use it. Dualboot and buy games available on Linux on Linux. I always see people saying how they'd love to use Linux once it has more games. Guess what, in order for more games to be ported it needs more users.
>>
File: SC 1.jpg (696 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
SC 1.jpg
696 KB, 1920x1280
>buy controller
>try and play games with it
>it's complete shit out of the box
>decide to mess with the custom settings
>suddenly everything changes
>it becomes amazing
>try it out on rpgs and it works like any other controller
>try it on dark souls and instantly fall in love with the lower bumpers
>decide to say fuck it and try playing killing floor 2 with it
>after setting it up in single player a bit
>spend 5 hours straight sitting on my couch and playing with other people
I didn't ask for this, I've never been able to just sit back and relax while playing. Even with other controllers I would always been hunched over.

This shit is fucking amazing.
>>
How does anyone play a shooter with this controller?
Surely the right touchpad thing is terrible for that right?
>>
File: 1403556489565.jpg (8 KB, 222x203) Image search: [Google]
1403556489565.jpg
8 KB, 222x203
>>333435221
>people will read this and fall for the meme
>>
>>333435221
you wont trick me
>>
>>333435243
Trackball is no mouse, but it's pretty good.

It's not a laptop-style pad, it has simulated acceleration that stops on touch (think trackball), so it's good for fast turns with subtle movement. Combined with gyro control for very fine mouse movements, it works really well.

It's never going to be a mouse. But it's really good and, unlike KB/M, you get full analogue movement control.
>>
>>333435243
Haven't played a shooter yet, but I played through both Portal games, Portal Stories: Mel and The Talos Principle as far as first person games go. The right pad together with gyro can be incredibly precise. It should work for single player shooters just fine. Multiplayer is a different story of course.
>>
I really wish I could try one of these things out. I'm in the market for a new controller for my PC and I'm at the very least intrigued.
>>
>>333435621
The meme has started.
You can not escape the cube
>>
>>333435243
>shooter

I'm >>333435221
It took a good bit of tweaking the settings but it actually players better then any other controller. and surprisingly accurate when you need it to be. The only part that is hard to get used to is actually using it. But once you do it's very nice for casual play.

I wouldn't recommend it against other players, but stuff like Killing floor, Payday or single player shooters it's really nice to use.
>>333435540
>>333435621
Don't buy it then, I give no shits. I'm just putting out my experience with the controller. And it's a very comfy alternative to m/kb when I want to be lazy, or just sit back.

I was even playing with it at my desk during KF2
>>
>>333436146
S-S-Senpai greenttexted me
>>
>>333435221
Share KF2 config
>>
I want a new controller before Dark Souls 3 comes out because my old 360 controller's left stick dead zone is getting out of hand and I want something wireless. I'm considering a Steam Controller.

Talk me into/out of it, /v/.
>>
>>333437029
It's good for games that don't use the dpad to move
So Dank Souls is fine
>>
>>333437171
So basically just don't use it for emulators and it's fine?
>>
>>333432475
It's nice to play slower based games like turn based strategies with the steam controller, also works fine with rocket league.
>>
File: KF2 Steam Controller.jpg (1 MB, 3780x2028) Image search: [Google]
KF2 Steam Controller.jpg
1 MB, 3780x2028
>>333436818
It is the highest used setup, but it had some really odd controllers in goofy spots. So I made a good bit of changes to it.
>>
>>333437029
The rebinding system alone makes it worth it for every emulator, console port, and non-controller supporting game that would have demanded XPadder.

It needs SOME tweaks (I do wish for simultaneous mouse/stick events from one pad as well as different keypresses on key-up) but still.

Plus, it's the only controller you'll ever use where you can move and jump with your left hand without sacrificing some other keybinding.
>>
>>333437379
I assume that setup in uploaded onto Steam?
>>
>>333437337
Yeah
But actually it is pretty cool for Wii emulation specifically, you can use the gyro to aim the cursor
>>
>>333437337
I use it for emulators all the time.

But I'm also somewhat jaded by dealing with the X360's shitty dpad.
>>
>>333437523
Also Gamecube because dual-stage triggers
>>
File: welp.jpg (692 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
welp.jpg
692 KB, 1698x1131
It works great for what I got it for

platformers, emulators, and RPGs
>>
>>333437539
Yeah, the 360 controller has an awful dpad.

What about the lack of a physical right analog stick? Does the right touchpad work just as well, assuming I tweak the settings?
>>
File: 1410385937104.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1410385937104.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>333434212
>dark souls is hard
>dark souls
>hard
>this presumably coming from the same guy who plays DMC4 and Platinum games, games that actually are hard given you're not playing them on easy mode
What kind of meta casual memespouter are you?
>>
I want a steam controller with a dpad
>>
>>333434212
is that a fact?

Pic related
>>
>>333437673
Yes. And you can change absolutely everything about it. You can set an inner deadzone, an outer deadzone, change the activation curve and a bunch of other stuff.
>>
>>333437502
The one without my changes is. It has some really goofy stuff with it though.

>hitting the left trigger all the way causes you to crouch
>Sprint was enabled on left stick range

Pretty much if you weren't careful with his controls you would crouch all the time while trying to ADS, and also while in ADS you would break out of it trying to move, as the outer area of the joystick auto engaged shift and would cause you to sprint.

So I replaced the sprint with analog toggle, moved the use in place of quick heal on the left pad and removed crouch (I've rarely had to use it since most groups I play with don't bunch up)
>>
>>333437673
Better.

You'll find that you pretty quickly abandon right-stick emulation in favor of the "mouse-like joystick" that generates right stick events with automatic velocity curves that emulate the feel of trackball mouse movement.

At least for games that don't support simultaneous mouse-controller use.

OTOH I may not be the best one to ask because I never use the one analogue stick that IS there, I use the left pad as my "analogue stick" and use the actual stick as my d-pad.
>>
>>333437721
It's hard in that it basically makes you guess what you're supposed to do and punishes you with instant death and 20 minutes of backtracking if you guess wrong.

So "hard" in that progressing is a challenge, though the chiefest skill it taxes is your patience.

Maybe later entries in the series are less guilty of this, I played DSI about past the dragon on the bridge and just stopped giving a shit.
>>
File: aveXHcv[1].jpg (78 KB, 599x758) Image search: [Google]
aveXHcv[1].jpg
78 KB, 599x758
>>333434212
top keks
>>
>>333438132
My friend, that is called artificial difficulty. The only hard part of the dark souls series is learning what to do.
>>
>>333429023
The top community configs works well. If anything just set the default as a Xbox controller and just add extra shit from there.
>>
File: M.jpg (415 KB, 1038x1356) Image search: [Google]
M.jpg
415 KB, 1038x1356
My old wired 360 pad died so I bought this instead.

>The "D-Pad" is shit.
I hear some people saying "it's good for emulators" no, it's fucking not. It's a pain in the ass to bind the controls for emulators and even then the D-Pad circle pad is just complete shit for anything requiring it. I honestly find it a hassle just to navigate menus with the fucking thing. I would honestly prefer the Xbox 360 D-Pad over this.

>The actual pads are okay for certain genres.
They're different, for RTS games or games relying heavily on mouse menu shit it's the most useful. Anything else and the pads become a hindrance.

>Build quality is decent.
I have no issues with the controller build quality. It's pretty standard and nothing special.

>Gyro aiming
Maybe if I spent more time with this I'd like it, but for now it's not great and I avoid playing FPS games with this thing entirely anyways.

>Customization
It's real easy to bind and customize everything, but it takes a while to get everything the way you like it. "Community" layouts you can download are almost always useless because the first ones that get released might be shit, but most people will use them anyways because it's the only one that you can download.

>Dark Souls
I played Dark Souls II with this for a few hours, the good is that it works, no better or worse than I am with a standard controller. Binding sprint to the back paddle is great for avoiding the "claw" grip thing.

Honestly I wish I got an Xbox One controller. The controller is only really helpful to me when a game just flat out doesn't support controllers at all. But if the game supports controller I'd rather not use the Steam Controller at all.
>>
>>333438232
I know. But if you use the phrase "artificial difficulty" when discussing DS you magically summon a shrieking chorus of "git gud"s and I'd really rather not derail this thread any further with non-Steam-controller talk.
>>
>>333438232
take notes from this guy.

some Adamants can't even
>>
>>333438409
Oh I know, my brother does this shit to me all the time.
>>
>>333438349
360 is flat out better than xbone anyway way cheaper and xbone is no better
>>
>>333438409
don't be too hard on yourself
>>
>>333438556
Why the fuck do people say this? The xbone controller is better in every single conceivable way.
>>
>>333438349
SC's default "click the circle pad for d-pad messages" is trash.

It's much more responsive for games with D-Pad movement to just use 8-way touch-triggered D-Pad messages, like a quantized analogue control stick touchpad.

In fact for fighting games the wide radius makes it feel more like an actual 8-way arcade stick in that input strings are much easier to input than on a pad, at least imo.
>>
>>333438349
>D-Pad is shit
don't know, I was using it in Metal Slug 3, worked well enough. But I'm not very good at the game anyways.

>Gyro Aiming
I've only used it in D4, and it was actually pretty fun doing so.

>Customization & Community
Look through the control configures, If it doesn't have names for what the button does, it's not worth using.

As a owner of a Xbox one controller, I'll never use it again. I even find this sucker better for racing games. The fact I can stick my seq shifting on the lower bumpers pretty much sealed the deal for them.

I can't say your points aren't valid. I like the controller, but I know a lot of people who really fucking hated it.
>>
>>333438701
It's not though it's the exact same basically
plus you have to get the wired one for PC or get a dongle that only works with win10
>>
>>333438556
>>333438701
As someone who has using logitech controllers, PS3/Ps4, 360/Xb1 and now the steam controller on their PC.

The one I've found to be the best all around experience is the steam controller.
>>
>>333438892
What? I use my wireless xbone controller for my PC all the time. All you need is a USB cable, you don't need W10.
>>
>>333438824
>I even find this sucker better for racing games
Do you use the gyro for that?
I've been playing a lot of Race the Sun with it while listening to podcasts, but I haven't tried a proper racing game yet.
>>
>>333438701
the bumpers are worse. so is the part you grip.
>>
>>333430214
Why do they need to do this when your computer literally is a SteamOS box?
>>
>>333438824
Metal Slug 3 is best played with a keyboard.
Pls fuck off.
>>
>>333439254
Steam controller also has some pretty neat features that no other controller has. Makes aiming so much easier than using a thumbstick if you are into shooters.

Pretty much neither controller is superior, but each one is better with different types of games.
>>
>>333428480
Well at least you can play music on it.
https://simplypuddings.tumblr.com/post/142342761339/the-actuators-that-give-the-steam-controller
>>
>>333438349
>into the trash
Dude, send it to me, I'll take it.

Never hurts to have a second one.
>>
>>333432475
Same question but I have a Dualshock
>>
>>333439123
No, Just the analog stick. I don't really get how people can play with the gyro, it isn't accurate enough.

>>333439306
Plays pretty well when you set the left pad to touch only.
>>
>>333438349
I have to agree. Steam controller just makes you want to use a standard controller or a mouse/keyboard.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.