[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I play old games with a virtual machine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: ME0001363221_2[1].jpg (371 KB, 800x1009) Image search: [Google]
ME0001363221_2[1].jpg
371 KB, 800x1009
Trying to play Throne of Darkness, a Hack and Slash from 2001 on a 2006 Windows XP computer.
Is that old enough? Nope.

>not available on GOG
>not available on Steam
>not a problem I download the original iso

Nothing works. Windows 20000 / 95 / 98 Compatibility, noCD patch, etc.
Got bullshit errors such as "unable to load FT_Thunk (Kernel32.dll)".

What should I do? Create a virtual machine with Windows 2000? How to do so?
>>
You guys have no love for hidden gems.
>>
>>333419139
Try WinXP worked for me.
>>
pm'd u the fix
>>
>>333419305
>Try WinXP worked for me.
I'm already on Windows XP. So no WinXP compatibility.
>>
>>333419540
Maybe burn .iso file on cd and launch game without no cd crack.
>>
I've played this on W7 so maybe it's something else that's wrong.
>>
You know on top of that they had a bunch of patches including a beta patch that added a ton of new and useful rare drops. Sadly it didn't work with the nocd patch for obvious reasons.
>>
I tried to run it on win 8.1 with every compatibility possible, didn't work too.
>>
OP here, finally got it to work by activating all Daemon Tools options. Pic related.
Tested it with the original exe, not the noCD patch.

After a short session, I'm beginning to understand what went wrong with this game.

>hard to differentiate your 4 guys from the enemies and from the armor stands everywhere
>hard to tell if your mouse is really on the enemy because of the slight highlight (no red border highlight like Diablo)
>starts in a castle infested of tens of creatures, totally not a beginner zone
>strange teleport + resurrect your guys system, when you swap your characters between the actual party and a substitute's bench
>supposed to be several classes, no visible difference between a fighter and a mage (for both gameplay and the art)
>enemies are using "run one cell and stop" tactics, and your main guy is using "run one cell and don't hit" tactic
>each guy has his own inventory, with Diablo-like Tetris but some items are teleporting from one cell to the other (maybe a bug)
>each one of the 4 guys has its own inventory so it's 4 times the fun to reorganize your stuff, like combining the worst from Diablo and the worst Baldur's Gate
>oh wait, more like 8 guys counting the ones on the bench
>each item has durability, especially armor and weapons (x8 guys)
>colors are bad, dark / brown / yellow everywhere, sometimes it's hard to tell where are the walls

I'm starting to better appreciate other games with parties such as Dungeon Siege (which I didn't really appreciate even if I finished it) (well I think I finished it, can't even tell).

TL;DR Throne of Darkness isn't a good game, hopefully I didn't spent too much time trying to make it run.
>>
>>333424657 (cont)
If anyone want to try, just know that I got a dozen "Msvcrt.dll" bug windows at launch, but I clicked Ok on all of them and it worked.

I remember that a few years ago, I was playing a lot of games with only 3 of the options activated (not all 4), but I can't remember which ones.
>>
>>333424657

No idea why you battled so much to install. I had it up and running on win7 and ubuntu laptop. Just bad luck i guess.

The game itself is hellish and fun at the same time. It's complicated I know but party commands isn't to shit but you can get fucked if you can't manage to swap party members in time to go heal. Weapons with same unique system as diablo 2. Skills are element based as far as I remember.

Reminds me allot of diablo 1 and 2 environment and play style.
>>
>>333418165
I remember playing this fine on my win 7 computer a few months ago. Still have the original disc. Try compatibility mode or something
>>
>>333424657
>Throne of Darkness isn't a good game
Yes it is. All of your complaints are illegitimate because you're just whining about the fact that there are multiple characters. You knew that before starting the game, so you have no right to complain now. Besides, you can just send the other 3 guys home and play as 1 dude getting three times more experience if you really want.
>>
try downloading it again from somewhere else? Sounds like it's a problem with the installation/missing files
>>
>>333418165
Pity there'll never be a sequel to this.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.