[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Combat is based around dodgeroll into circlestrafe Why is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1426171765751.jpg (36 KB, 805x669) Image search: [Google]
1426171765751.jpg
36 KB, 805x669
>Combat is based around dodgeroll into circlestrafe

Why is this a trend?

>I have no idea how to make combat so I'll just add iframe dodge and circle around enemies. The players will love it!
>>
>>333393884
>why is this a trend?
Because it works and some people like it. I know that might be hard for you to understand, but some people have differing opinions of what constitutes fun
>>
weeb
>>
>>333394017
Most people have shit for taste though and are unable to consume anything but the shallowest mechanics.
>>
>>333393884
>circle around enemies
That has always been a thing, though.
>>
>>333395262
Another argument for it being stale.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 500x916) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 500x916
>>333393884
This again?

Combat in 3D games have always revolved around these mechanics:

Targeting (auto or sticky, or neither)
Hitting
Dodging/defending

Variations include:

Hit stun
Suspension
Super armor
AoE/directional field

You hit things until they die. They either flinch or don't, and attack back. Some enemies auto track you. Some attacks are hard to dodge. Not every game has sword and shield.

Enemies attack in narrow directions or all around them. Obviously when they attack and miss there will be an opening.

Circle strafing baits this opening and is one common tactic used by people under pressure. How the hell else would you like to hit things in 3D space? By web slinging to the enemy or holding block until that same opening appears? Wrestle Demon McBladeShoulders to the ground UFC style? Walk straight into an axe cleave?

You're dense dude.
>>
>>333393884
Its either that or mash attack to win.
>>
>>333394431
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_Getting_Old
>>
>>333395423
circlestrafe is enabled by locking on

lock on needs to go. iframes need to go.

what you say is true if you accept the devolution brought upon video game medium by lack of TECHNOLOGY.
>>
>>333393884

Other than dark souls and monster hunter, what games recently do this? Because it seems you're making an argument out of nothing
>>
>>333395652
Okay genius

What do you suggest to replace it?
>>
>>333395652
i frames can't go, or they have to be replaced with perfect hitboxes
>>
>>333395803
Start by copying god hand, it's an unique game that had rock solid dodge mechanics, you could even evade in place.

>>333395873
hence the effort

>>333395675
/v/ flavor of the week was hyper light drifter and enter the gungeon
>>
>>333395652
Lock on prevents shitty camera flipping and keeps your target centered.

No one like to battle the camera. Some games with lock on STILL have shitty camera work (hi DMC series).

The alternative would be to meticulously nudge the camera manually to keep the target centered. That's ass man.

I-frames compensate for imperfect hitboxes, latency, poor reflexes, and adds a fun element of tension and sphincter moments. It becomes abused by those capable of frame perfect dodges, sure, but by that point said player knows attack patterns well enough that he/she wouldn't need to abuse it, but choose to out of convenience.

Let's not forget that practically 99% of all games with target lock, require you to input that command to do so. You could just not do it.

TL;DR: don't hate the game or anonymous players.
>>
>>333396163
Hyper doesn't have iframes.
>>
>>333396234
don't battle the camera, take the player's control of it away.
>>
>>333396331
nigger its dodge is teleport.
>>
>>333396163
You say this as if these games were conceptualized with target lock and strafe from the get go.

Jim: "Let's create a game"
Boris: "What do you have in mind?"
Jim: "Ions but circle strafe is a must."
Boris: "How about using buttons?"
Jim: "Iono we'll have to see about that later. Let's nail down the important things first."
>>
>>333396609
I'm saying that's a lazy and stale design that offers no variety in approach.
>>
>>333396351
You're suggesting static camera?

You do know that some games have this, correct? Mainly horror?

Camera control has so many practical applications, that controllers literally added a second analog stick specifically for that. VR is literally camera control via your head.

You remove the ability to admire scenery, to see what you want to see, to peek around corners for hidden paths, take good screenshots, gauge distance, enhance spatial reasoning. The list goes on.

An argument for removing a jump button has far more clout than yours. And the games that remove jump? "Lol shitty devs can't even program a jump properly."
>>
>>333396234
games could try to make faster dodges and/or allow you to move further with one dodge then you wouldn't need iframes
>>
>>333397129
that's all been done before. why not fix the camera and try to separate sidestep and attack into L/R stick motions?
>>
>>333396163
>god hand
Directly into the trash.
>>
>>333396669
There is no variety in approach because A must defeat B before progressing.

So long as there is you, player A, that must clear obstacle B via combat, the approach will always be to kill it or remove it from your path. It's not stale, it's combat 101.

You run toward target. You dispatch it and move on. Variations in approach include counter attacks, QTEs, item use, terrain variance, ranged combat, the list goes on.

When talking about an indie game, obviously there is less depth due to resources. Twin stick shooters exist, and the usually allow autotarget because it's just better.

You're just jaded. It happens. Try switching up your palate.
>>
>>333396449
You can get hit while dodging. Have you actually played it?
>>
I don't think those mechanics will go away until we could get haptic feedback on attacks. Without actually swinging a "sword" the player is limited in the ways they can attack and with that limitation comes at least some of the mechanics you mention. However, actually controlling the sword wouldn't feel good unless you could feel when a strike was blocked or hit home
>>
>>333397343
>wants good, responsive combat
>disregards God Hand
Why?
>>
>>333397184
Games have this, and some of these things you're suggesting don't fit certain games. I know some games have extended rolls that unlock or require a skill (I.e evade extender in monster hunter).

And besides, most people don't want to invest 3 hours into learning how to properly control a game before getting into it. Not everyone is amazing at games. Games need to be profitable and they need an audience. What you're suggesting is tedious and unnecessary, and won't add the variety you're looking for.

Demon's Souls was heralded as the next gen of combat, because of animations taking long and the player being punished for poor play. Tons of circle strafing. Tons of ledges to fall off of from that or obstacles to screw up that tactic. DS2 has enemy tracking, to try to combat this tactic and people hated it's inclusion.
>>
>>333394431
/thread
>>
File: 1459773691857.jpg (56 KB, 642x637) Image search: [Google]
1459773691857.jpg
56 KB, 642x637
>>333398000
>good, responsive combat
>God Hand
>>
>>333398527
Don't /thread your own posts.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.