[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is FF8 really bad or is it a meme to hate it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73
File: Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg (54 KB, 256x250) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg
54 KB, 256x250
Is FF8 really bad or is it a meme to hate it?
>>
Its ok. Its good. But to me its not as good as the games that came before and after it.

9>7>8
>>
The scaling ruined the game. First playthrough my guys were level 50-60, could not beat the final dungeon to save my life.

Restarted, ran from every battle, finished the game at level 20. That shit isn't correct.
>>
It's a convoluted mess of a game system and the plot is retarded. But its better than modern FF games.
>>
Had some shitty gameplay mechanics, but the setting was pretty good, and the characters being realistically proportioned is a plus.
>>
The plot of 8 really turned me off from finishing it. Felt like a bad soap opera.
>>
It's a meme from FF7 lovers who expected more of the same.
>>
>>333388386
its bad, literally the worst magic system in the series
>>
Why don't you play it and form your own opinion, you meme loving fuck?

9 is objectively the worst FF battle mechanics and pacing wise on the PS1. Half the party has either no character arc or one that stops after 30 minutes, and the leads have zero development, the "You are not alone" sequence for Zidane is one of the most fucking badly written things I have ever seen, It's like they tried to shove all of Cloud or Terra's character arcs into a 10 minutes sequence because they realised at the last minute the main character was a plank of fucking wood.
>>
>>333388386
Meme

Literally better than FF7
>>
>>333389025
Eat shit, faggot. Your opinions are wrong.
>>
a meme to hate it
>>
>>333389139

Found the 9 baby.

Vivi is dead within a year of the ending. Zidane within three. Get fucked.
>>
A really good game. My favorite Final Fantasy.

>scales with your level hurrrr
So do a lot of games. I don't see the problem, your magic stock is more important than your level, and the game does not scale with your magic stock.
>hurr the draw/magic system sucks
I literally only draw the hidden GF's on my playthroughs, of course I've done early draw spam games before, but there's no point, and it's stupid to complaint about that.
>junctioning is lame and too exploitable
I guess they never got too far with their materia combinations in FF7 or something. You can beat the uber bosses in FF7 without using a single command if you set your materia up right and get lucky.
>>
>>333388740
>grinded my main team to 99
that shit's the worst, and I was wondering as a child why everything was so hard.
Probably didn't help that I had zero understanding of the junction system.
>>
They thought that because certain aspects of VII were well received, like the love triangle and Cloud's emotional issues, they decided the next game should be a full on romance stuffed with teen angst. Then they came up with terrible battle mechanics that made the already prominent grind inherent in these games even worse, while at the same time far more exploitable and broken then ever before.
>>
Its a meme to hate it.

Game is fine
>>
>>333388386
Hating FFVIII is one of the biggest, and oldest memes of all time.
>>
>>333389256
Ow, the edge.
>>
>>333388386
>Is FF8 really bad or is it a meme to hate it?
I liked it, but then again I never gave fuck about other FF games, so I'm not exactly an expert on the subject matter.
It's undeniably flawed on just about every level. But then again, I has a lot of neat little ideas. I consider it a gem, but gem so flawed that one can really hold onto it out of personal fancy.

The core mechanics are really interesting and to me, rather unique (maybe I might be wrong, I had not played that many JRPG's), but the execution if clumsy as fuck.
The story is a convoluted mess, but there are some genuinely nice ideas and moments in it. It's attempting to be an actual psychology-driven story, which I like, and then use of the time-travel gimmick towards the end is actually kind sad a smart. But THEN AGAIN the game is mired by some absolutely amazingly RETARDED moments (like the orphanage revelation) and some truly awful characters/character development.
It's also imbalanced as fuck: to a point where figuring out different ways you can COMPLETELY BREAK the game becomes half the fun.

To me, FF8 is a guilty pleasure. I can't honestly recommend it, but it's not JUST an irredeemable mess. Honest attempts to make something good can be traced through the game. It's just that you need to be able to swallow a lot of bullshit to find them.
>>
It's largely a meme, but also has some specific quirks, the biggest of which is the unfortunate luck of following FFVII.

Some people hate it because they were introduced to the series with VII and merely wanted VII-2 without understanding how the series worked.

Some purists, such as fans of FFIX or the earlier titles, see it as a target to attack to justify the series "returning to its roots" since no one will take them seriously if they call VII bad.

Some people never actually played the game and their only experience with it is a way too popular bad comedy review by a man we now universally recognize as insane.
>>
>>333388386

Fuck - by the standards of JRPGs today - it's quite good. Compared to the games both immediately before and immediately after it - it was mediocre for the time.

These days it's one of many "golden age of jrpg's" masterpieces.
>>
>>333389025
>objectively
>gives a subjective opinion

I'm onto you
>>
>>333389519
>It's edgy to point out that the game kills off the main character post credits

Never reply to me again.
>>
It's the one Final Fantasy where you actually should pay attention to the fucking tutorial.

It's my personal favorite alongside VI.
>>
I got my first car the day before it came out. It was very fun, probably my favorite FF. Triple Triad is the best rpg mini game around.

You're supposed to hate it in 2016, though. At least that's what the hip '92 kids say.
>>
FF9 was made for fans of final fantasy
FF7 was made for fans of 90s anime
FF8 was made for fans of poetry
>>
>>333388745
>convoluted mess of a game system
Keep crying.
>plot is retarded
No.
>>333388971
This.
>>333389010
>waahhhh I'm such a huge faggot
>>333389025
This guy knows exactly what's up.
>>333389256
Yep.
>>
It had a lot of really great ideas that I thought worked well but had some of the most obnoxious characters and stupid plot points that killed it.

At least the game is phenomenal up until the end of the first disk with the sorceress assassination climax.
>>
>>333388745
>It's a convoluted mess of a game system

>draw magic from enemies and draw points.
>add to your stats to enhance them
>mess of a game system

They also has a long as fuck tutorial that guides you through it.

Git gud.
>>
Kind of a meme to hate it but the game isn't without its criticism. The junction system is pretty breakable with about 1-2 hours worth of grinding at the very start of the game. The plot isn't convoluted, but you have to pay attention and it contains a fair amount of melodrama. You'll either hate or enjoy Squall; there's really no one-between and the supporting cast is very weak compared to most FF titles. There's plenty of lore and backstory but you'll ultimately feel they could have done more with the setting they built.

The music is some of the best in the series (Succession of Witches, Salt Flats, Man With The Machine Gun). The events and plot arcs are really fucking awesome sometimes, with Disc 1 and 2 holding most of these, but Disc 3 and 4 also are pretty cool. The villains are actually pretty solid in comparison with the whole series; the theme tends not to be one of "I'm just outright evil" but one of "we have differing sides".

My recommendation is to play the game without a guide at least until Timber... If you're not feeling enthused by that point, it may not be the game for you, but it does get significantly better in Disc 2.
>>
>>333389640
There is nothing after the credits fag.

Keep trying.
>>
>>333388386
Youtuber SpaceHamster seems to like it
>>
It's a meme. 8 is great once you understand what the fuck you're doing. 7 fags just want to hate everything that is not their oh so precious game.
>>
Absolutely hated it when it first came out. Couldn't be bothered to get past the 2nd disc.
>>
>>333388386
I think it was good game, it has several balancing issues though.

However internet has mostly fixed them:
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/2922-final-fantasy-viii-requiem-v121/
>>
>>333390139
The second disc is the most tedious, to be honest.

1 is great, fast paced, and epic.
2 starts slow with Laguna, dull when you're in the prison, lame when the party splits up, gay when you're doing the Selphie part, and tedious when you're doing the Squall part, and then FH is just cringe.
3 gets fun, going to space, getting the ragnorak, and then making sure not to proceed to disc 4 until you've done all the side quests
4 is fun, 'cause the Castle is full of puzzles, and getting the ragnorak, and maxing out your GF's AP in the cactaur island is mind numbingly fun.
>>
Great music
Romance is forced
Story starts off ok, becomes shit, then is ok again later.
>>
The story isn't bad, but junctions are a huge fucking hassle. FFIV got it right.
>>
>>333389426
Yeah I mean, the thing is, I ground my main team to 99 but the only difficulty I ever had was the last boss for a minute, and only because there's the slightest bit of luck involved if every single character isn't 99.
>>
>>333390445
Much like UltimEdea did to Seifer, UltiRinoa did to Squall.

Forced romance indeed, but truly forced.
>>
The gameplay is definitely shit, but the rest is great. The story is literally 2deep4u, which has resulted in coincidental orphanage memes and retarded fan theories.
>>
Combat is either GF spam or limit breaks which literally break the game. Magic is useless.
>>
>>333389962
>Too retarded to take information presented in the game and project ir forward

The entire fucking theme of the game is making the best of the time you have. Genomes that weren't designed to be vessels for Terran souls and instead were designed as living weapons were fitted with life limiters to prevent them from causing too much trouble if they went rogue. Zidane is just another version of Kuja, fitted with the same limiter, his replacement is already ready made. The only thing in the game that says he isn't fitted with one is a speech from Garland, who lies about pretty much everything else in the same speech, and is sweating like a priest in a kindergarten and trying to stop Zidane going nuclear like Kuja did.
>>
>>333390418
See, I loved Disc 2 because of the whole "crisis" feel of everything. I completely forgot about Laguna in Winhill, you got me there, but the escape, clearing the garden, the base, all that was exciting to me. And the crescendo at the end with fighting Galbadia? Fucking amazing. FH was a bit shit though
>>
>>333388386
A good meme.
It will keep away neo-square to destroy 8 like they did with the 7 remake
>>
File: jfk.jpg (26 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
jfk.jpg
26 KB, 500x250
>FF8 features an entire disc where the objective is to get a sniper into position so he can execute the leader of a nation as they drive past in a motorcade
>The location of the planned assassination is "Deling Plaza"

Absolute madmen.
>>
>>333390740
Oh yeah, see I forgot about the whole big attack on Galbadia at the end, that was pretty epic, and my favorite leveling area is that ice hockey rink.

I actually got a game I started a month or so ago, and forgot about, but I believe I'm saved right after the rocket launch when Squall gets to the Garden.
>>
>>333391097
That fucking hockey rink

Are you killing students in that hockey rink? They're human...
>>
File: wizard cat.jpg (120 KB, 1042x882) Image search: [Google]
wizard cat.jpg
120 KB, 1042x882
>>333390537
>Magic is useless
>Meltdown exists
>Aura exists

>>333391273

You kill metric fucktons of humans just doing their job in FF 6, 7 and 8.
>>
>>333391354
>doom train
>low health

literally all magic is useless retard
>>
>>333388386
Not a bad game, but its not a good one either. Wroth the play if you didn't pay for it. It just suffered from absolutely horrible pacing and the worst mechanic ever introduced to a final fantasy game. Its only ever peoples favorites if its the first they've played.

>>333388496
This should have been /thread.
>>
It's very deeply flawed, but I enjoyed it. It was obviously designed in a "Hollywood Blockbuster" kind of way, with all of the big setpieces designed first, with everything linking them together being an afterthought.
>>
File: 89789789.png (257 KB, 704x873) Image search: [Google]
89789789.png
257 KB, 704x873
>there are people in this thread right now who did not comprehend FF8's story and arrogantly think they did, all while shitting on how bad it is, displaying their sub-80 IQ
>>
>>333391493
>You have access to Doomtrain instantly from the start of the game
>Bothering to use Doomtrain when you can literally cast Meltdown once then Aura and hammer anything with limit breaks forever

You're a fucking mongoloid and you don't know shit about FF8. I bet you draw for your magic.
>>
>>333391775
>You have access to Doomtrain from the start of the game

Without Solomon's Ring...?
>>
>>333391775
>you have access to Meltdown instantly from the start of the game
>bothering to use Meltdown when you can literally summon Doomtrain for not Stock cost and then start the fight with low health limit breaks forever

You're a fucking yokel and you don't know shit about FF8. I bet you draw for your Meltdowns
>>
>>333389025
recently replayed the PS1 FF series, and this post is spot on. Although the absolute worst aspect of IX is the system mechanics. Back then, everyone was still creaming their panties over FFV, Tactics, and the job system. Square tried to make a 'classic' FF game with traditional fantasy themes, but after the robust Draw-Junction system in 8, the "learn skills from equipment" routine was just empty, plus the idea of having classes like Black Mages or Thief is totally pointless if you don't have a good way to customize those characters.

7 > 8 > 9

Here's the skinny on 8

The plot is stupid, messy and really not even worth discussing. The tl;dr version is basically any time the plot reaches a point where the writers have no idea how to move the story forward, they throw in some last minute magic/hand waving to smooth over the plot, but by the end you have more loose ends and unanswered questions that you don't even bother trying to follow along any more. The system is very interesting and worth a lot of a replay value, unfortunately though, it's not well balanced. You can reach godlike powers and easily destroy everything if you learn to play cards and refine material, but the game won't be able to match your power level and challenge you.

Short answer
FF7 = Amazing story, Excellent Atmosphere although some unintentionally funny cutscenes, rigorous mechanics. Large world to explore 10/10

FF8 = Story thrown together without consequences, decent atmosphere and cutscenes, interesting game system, large world to explore

FF9 = Tries to take all the good decisions from previous FF and fails spectacularly. Story is bad, but not as badly done as 8. Atmosphere is bland and repetitive, cutscenes are confusing at best, boring at worst. The game system is boring and lacks any imagination or customization, world is linear, no sense of exploration.

and then this happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soKNYm6fLqA
>>
>>333388386
I know a lot of people who this is there favorite of the series for story and setting. The whole draw and junction system was a great idea but really easy to take advantage of. For this reason me no likie
>>
Step 1: Get lionheart.
Step 2: stock auras.
Step 3: turn Laguna card into 100 hero potions
Step 4: ???
>>
>>333391996
It can be done on PC version, as it includes the Chocobo pet app.
>>
File: 1458619333990.jpg (43 KB, 499x382) Image search: [Google]
1458619333990.jpg
43 KB, 499x382
>>333390884
I like this guy
>>
>>333392292

Pretty fair, I'd like to argue that the story of 8 is better when you play it a second time.
>>
How many versions of this game is there? Or can I buy the ps1 version of it and it'll be fine?
>>
>>333393169
Theres 1 version. But the pc one (a direct port, I believe) also has the chocobo app that was only released in japan for psx, that is broken as fuck, and game breaking.
>>
>>333392292
>Ultimecia - a sorceress from the distant future - has been hunted by SeeD all her life without ever knowing why
>her death has been foretold to be at the hands of the "Legendary SeeD"
>in order to save herself, Ultimecia sets out to compress time
>to compress time, she has to exist in past, present and future
>using the Ellone Junction Machine, she sends her consciousness as far back in time as possible, as physcal time travel is an impossibility
>taking possession of Edea's body, she infiltrates the Galbadian government and use their resources to seek out Ellone - who is alive in this time period - starting a war in the process
>Ellone can help her send her consciousness further back in time, as the machine based on her power pales in comparison
>Squall and co are told to assassinate Edea
>they fail and are spared solely because Ultimecia seeks to interrogate them about their objectives - objectives they themselves don't know about
>bla bla bla, Ultimecia partially succeeds in compressing time
>this creates an anamoly which allows Squall and co to physically travel to her time to prevent the spell's completion
>they defeat her, just as foretold
>time begins to decompress, creating yet another anamoly which allows Ultimecia to physically travel to the past in order to pass her powers on to someone to find peace in death
>Squall pursues her through time and they end up at the orphanage run by Edea years before the story takes place
>Squall witnesses as Ultimecia passes her powers to Edea
>before realizing that he's in the past, he tells her about SeeD and Ultimecia
>Squall travels back into the void
>Edea, having realized that Squall is the same person as the boy at her orphanage, vows to train them all in the use of Guardian Forces and para-magic in order to ensure that the events repeat
Ultimecia's future actions are what causes her to be hunted in the first place

Never TL;DR something you don't have the mental capacity to understand.
>>
Tried replaying it last year. I like the setting - balamb garden is especially charming - squall is a good protagonist with some relatable teenage angst, nice music, and a story that, as with most JRPGs, really goes off the rails plot-wise, though occasionally the melodrama succeeds. Overall I like it, but as most others have said, the junction system is a mechanic that the player has to actively try not to abuse. Unfortunate because it's creative and interesting, but I hate a game where any challenge has to be artificially manufactured by the player.
>>
>>333393724
addendum: obviously triple triad is loads of fun
>>
>>333392292
Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round Counter-Knight of the Round

10/10. Glad you can never reach godlike power in FF7.
>>
>>333393724
MATERIA CAN BE ABUSED TO GODLIKE POWERS TENFOLD WHAT JUNCTIONING COULD EVER DO
>>
>>333393832
>Bothering with that shit
>Not Counter=Mime with only Cloud alive after using Omnislash
>Not overflowing Death Penalty and literally oneshotting Emerald Weapon
>>
>>333393832
Even just basic physical counterattack spam is more than enough for anything in the game bar stupid resistant to everything but kotor ruby. Not to mention enemy skill, zone, w-item glitch, 8x contain casting etc. 7 is fucked
>>
>ps1 games are still expensive to buy

Besides Amazon, any other place you guys recommend buying ps1 games? used or new.
>>
>>333393915
Yes, at the end of the game with literally 10+ hours of grinding. FFVIII can be exploited right off the bat.

Really, the best way to experience FF8 is to spend 2 hours refining cards/items and learning Diablo's Enc-None at the beginning of the game in order to enjoy the other aspects of the game while skipping all combat other than boss fights. The gameplay is shit.
>>
>>333394052
How much boring ass grinding would you actually need to max death penalty? Conformer is the only worthwhile ultimate in the game, with ultima weapon a distant second.
>>
>>333394208
As soon as you get the first Counter-Attack materia and decide you want to grind the game is more broken than FF8 ever could be at any point in the game.
>>
>>333394208
Beta breaks the game the minute you leave midgard, and not a damn thing is a worthwhile fight while there.
>>
Best bad game I've ever played. Had a incredibly complex story that literally traverses space and time, gorgeous environment and god-tier soundtrack. Too bad it was marred by the WORST game mechanics I have ever experienced and had a gay emo as a protagonist who i literally named "lilbitch"
>>
>>333393915
Playing through FF7, you're likely to have a decent challenge through the course of the game. In FF8, simply understanding the basics of the junction system, without going out of your way hardly at all, you can make your squall insanely overpowered pretty much right off the bat. I'm honestly curious about what you think is in FF7 that is equally broken. That is, how does a basic understanding of materia enable the player to overpower himself from the very beginning of the game, without grinding or use of something obscure or arcane in the game?
>>
>>333394147
/vr/ here. It's really just flea markets and garage sales at this point and most of those are dry as hell in my area. Still get a nice find from time to time. Picked up all four .hack games last year for $5 each, complete with dvds, from a guy selling power tools. Everybody who just deals in games uses inflated ebay pricing these days.
>>
File: tumblr_mdlay17Ovg1ruaha0o3_500.gif (1000 KB, 500x207) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdlay17Ovg1ruaha0o3_500.gif
1000 KB, 500x207
>>333392985
heh, for me it was worse. I never noticed some of the logical fallacies or major plotholes in my first playthrough. The orphanage thing, the 'selphie still remembers but doesn't say anything for some reason' thing, the entire galbadia arc leading into Disc2. After Isthar it's kind of like, yeah okay, whatever. Monsters come from The Moon, sure. I mean, a major plot point is Squall falling in love with Rinoa, but you are given the dialog options to treat her coldly, then suddenly relationship drama out of nowhere. It's okay. FF8 is a gem as anon said earlier, a flawed gem, but a gem.
>>333393372
It's an alright theory, but then how does Rinoa fit in? The story in the actual game doesn't really support your argument, since Edea tries to help you after being possessed anyway. Also, if you have to make a series of mental leaps assumptions in order to give the plot cohesion, that's a failure on the part of story-tellers. How did the party suddenly exist again after time kompression? I don't know. Why were sorceresses all over the place without reference or consequence? I don't know. If you want to craft a convincing ending theory for 8, you need to address many if not all of the unanswered questions from the game, and that my friend, will take much more than 12 lines of greentext.
>>
File: PART_1412202400618.jpg (279 KB, 577x1025) Image search: [Google]
PART_1412202400618.jpg
279 KB, 577x1025
>converting cards
>>
>>333394650
Enemy skill materia
>>
>>333394825
>It's an alright theory
It's not a theory, it's the actual plot of the game. None of that information is between the lines. You either didn't pay attention while you were playing, or you have short-term memory and are incapable of retaining information for the duration of a 25+ hour game.
>>
>>333393832
You don't need to build your materia like that, if you want to waste all that time watching KOTR 100 times in a row, that's on you sonny jim. There are plenty of deliciously nasty ways to deal damage in FF7 and doing so is quite fun. Deal with it.

And yeah whatever, you can be a bitch and use counter mechanics because you're used to getting slapped around, but you will still get your shit pushed in by Emerald or Ruby.
>>
>>333394825

There's a theory I have for the whole romance thing.

See how Squall doesn't see Rinoa as anything but a mission client/nuisance until she obtains the power of the Sorceress? And then suddenly he's carrying her sorry fucking body ON FOOT for hundreds of miles, which is not only retarded but doesn't make sense from a tactical sense? A key ability of the Sorceress is to appoint a knight and a sort of glamour/mental domination that lets them basically mind control people. I put it to you that Rinoa was, consciously or unconsciously, using this ability on Squall.
>>
>>333394998

What the fuck is wrong with that TV?
>>
>>333394998
The fuck wrong wif yo tv nigga?
>>
>>333395275
What you should know is that the romance subplot was heavily tacked on and entirely irrelevant to the overall plot, much like how Vaan and Penelo in FFXII have absolutely no bearing on the story.

And for those who believe Ultimecia and Rinoa are the same person, you're absolutely retarded. Ultimecia's sole motivation is to save herself. Had she been part of the group that's responsible for killing her in the future, she would have known that it's her own actions of self-defense that causes her to be hunted by SeeD in the first place.
>>
>>333388386
I genuinely hated it; the main protag was an angsty teenage edgelord bitch and the combat was way more complicated than it needed to be
>>
>>333395396
I spilled rice on it.
>>
>>333394650
"without grinding or use of something obscure or arcane in the game"
How do you do that right off the bat with Squall?

Starting the game, you're going to immediately know you need to farm the Caterpillar things for enough items to get 100 Curaga's on Squall, and then to play Cards in Balamb until you get 20 of those Evelrot cards or whatever, and then go to the beach near Dollet, and farm for the Adamantine, and yadda yadda?

Both games CAN be broken, and to do it early in both, you need to grind a lot. And, in FF7 you can defeat the super bosses without a single command input, you cannot do the same in FF8.
>>
>>333395516

Woah, hold on now, I didn't say shit about them being the same person, I was just talking about the powers she gained as a Sorceress.

Rinoa=Ultimecia may have been an early plot point they toyed with, but it's clear beyond all doubt even if they did, they changed their mind about it.
>>
>>333389754
Fuck off back to /tv/, Abatap
>>
The story is great, actually. People who disagree probably only like non-fantasy no magic involved type story lines. Also the characters are great if you look at them in a realistic way, which is cool cuz its a crazy fantasy game. Squares first and best attempt at non cartoonish characters desu. The game is exoloitable and kinda unbalanced but that's not an issue because its fun to figure out how to maximize your party and worth it for the handful of battles that need skill and knowledge of the game to complete. But yeah, best video game ost of all time, amazing atmosphere /world/sense of mystery I've seen in an ff game. Just give it a shot cuz what's great about it is subjective. Mabr you'll love it maybe you won't who knows. But at least it has triple triad
>>
>>333389256
>muh headcannon
>>
File: bigboss.jpg (44 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
bigboss.jpg
44 KB, 400x225
It was great for me it is the best FF.
First time using the Guardian Forces was amazing, and they have not been topped since.
>>
>>333395243
Emerald is perfectly couterable
>>
>>333395818
>Head canon
>Outright implied by the game
>Even stronger evidence in the Ultimania

It's more head canon to think that Vivi and Zidane live long lives, flying in the face of everything the game tells you.
>>
File: QfycXOh.gif (1 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
QfycXOh.gif
1 MB, 360x202
>>333395196
Maybe it's that second one.

Also, you're saying the plot of the game is that a 'sorceress' goes back in time somehow, because she's being hunted by 'SeeD' for some reason, and that all her actions actually create the circumstances that force her to go back in time in the first place and you want a gold star for plot? no no, you can't build a story on a paradox, that's stupid. And by that notion, the story should be about Ultimecia, not Squall.
>>
>>333393915
FF7 only gets truly broken if you either know precisely what to look for, you're willing to spend hours grinding, or you're already so far that it doesn't overly matter
>>
>>333392292
Jesus Christ, you are actually retarded.
>>
>>333388386
You can see right away that it's a flawed, but good game. Square got too ambitious after FF7 and decided to try some radical changes on the gameplay because they could. Turns out the new mechanics broke the game, made it a borefest. And about the story...it's kinda complicated.
>>
>>333389828

>They also has a long as fuck tutorial that guides you through it.

Why do yiu say that as if it helps your argument
>>
>>333396156
Sounds the same as FF8, strange.

Except you can go way further with grinding for an OP character on 7 than you could on 8.
>>
>>333396156
>precisely what to look for
"Oh, this does a lot of damage, I bet if I paired it with counter, and mastered them I could fill all my slots with it, and do even more damage!"
>>
>>333396472
>I bet if I paired it with counter, and mastered them
that comes under already so far that it doesn't matter and/or grinding.
>>
>>333395980
You can't tell a story about time travel without having a paradox somewhere in there. I liked how FF8 was nice and open about it. Yeah, the whole thing is a giant fucking loop Ultimecia got herself into. There is no before and after, really. Time is quite literally broken in that game.

As for "she goes back in time somehow": we know how. She goes back in time because she is defeated by the seeds during the process of time compression. When a sorceress is dying, she automatically seeks anyone with sorceress-predispositions and passes her soul - or whatever you might call it - on. They are immortal, which the game makes a big deal about, actually.
Except in the moment Ultimecia starts seeking someone to pass her powers on, it's when time is compressed: she passes it on someone who existed in the present, because at that moment present and past are literally one and the same.
>>
>>333395275
That actually makes more sense, since Rinoa seemed to be really into Squall, except the Seifer love triangle never really went anywhere.
>>333395934
Don't remember but I think you would probably drown first.
>>
>>333396156
Beta isn't out of the way at all and is only mildy hard to get. If you miss that you get trine not long after that does much the same trick, or aqualung Magic hammer and big gaurd would need guides but are mostly kinda useless anyways. And if you do any chocobo racing at all you end up swimming in counter attack (regular) which just makes the rest of the game autopilot.
>>
>>333395973
it is only implied in the speech patterns at the end in the japanese version that vivi dies but never is ever implied or said about zidane dying, that, is headcanon
>>
>>333395642
well when I replayed the game recently I did it by accident. nothing specific. card mod some cards, maybe (e.g. tornado from the extremely common abyss worm card). Come across a good spell? spend a few rounds drawing it. just basic, reasonable drawing and junctioning. My experience was that even a modest effort to junction magic on your character - which you would think the game would expect you to do - renders the game's challenges trivial.
>>
>>333396374
Not even close. You don't even have to try breaking FF8, the games does it to itself. There are millions of ways to do that. Also, level scaling.
>>
>>333388740
How fucking bad were you?
The only trouble you could possibly get from the last dungeon was the commands that you had to unlock, and if the boss were fucking your shit up because of lack of commands.
>>
>>333396558
>oh wow, counter attack materia stacks! I bet if I mastered them and had all my slots full, he'd counter attack and kill everything!
>>
>>333396653
Underwater materia? Even then no you won't, as a conformer yuffie can counter for 50-60k. Thats only like 17ish counters of emerald proper, without even using limits or mime countering limits.
>>
File: 8754512484.jpg (61 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
8754512484.jpg
61 KB, 500x333
>>333396591
so by that theory Edea shouldn't need powers since she was already a sorceress? And there is that one in space, I think Edel was her name or something.

Point is, you have time jumping witches who can posses themselves, other witches or new people entirely. So every time a sorceress dies a paradox occurs? Wouldn't that make sorceress immortal?
>>
>>333396782
I replayed 7 and 8 recently, and they both played like that if you've done it before, and kind of know what you're doing.

I literally had Master Magic, and Command by the time I got to disc 3 just playing the game not even w-item elixer glitching yet.
>>
>>333395980
Ultimecia never physically travels through time to cast her spell, and the technology used to send her consciousness through time is already in existence in present day FFVIII, developed by Dr. Odine after years of studying and experimenting on Ellone.

And yes, the paradox is at the center of the game. The major theme is destiny and inescapable fate. Theoretically, time branches off to a different future without Ultimecia when Squall returns to the time compression, meanwhile, the 'original' universe goes for another loop.
>>
>>333388827
the gameplay was ok; they give you options for grinding; you can transform cards, or get better weapons, or drain magic, exploit the Limit breaks.
>>
>>333397065
that's actually fair. FF games are not well-balanced in general and I admit my criticisms may apply to ff7 more than I realize.
>>
>>333390203
That's pretty cool, I may give it a spin
>>
File: worry.jpg (12 KB, 200x255) Image search: [Google]
worry.jpg
12 KB, 200x255
>The entire planet uses cable for communication instead of radio
>Due to some sort of interference that started years ago
>The interference started when they flew Sorceress Adel into space in containment
>When the president uses the radio tower to make his address you can see text in the interference
>It says "Bring me back there I am alive here I'll never let you forget about me"
>Screaming in space constantly on every fucking frequency for 20 years
>>
Its flawed but not a bad game. The junction system just allows for a lot of abuse if you know what your doing like if you refine fish fines for water after leaving the garden and junction it to strength squalls limit break can carry you through a good chunk of the game. This can be even worse by refining triple triad cards you can get very early like Zell/Quistis where it can carry you the entire game. I hate level scaling in any game for the most part and disliked it here but its there to force you to use the junction system instead of level grind.

The story can go either way depending on your preference... the romance between Squall and Rinoa is one of the main story elements whereas romance between characters is normally a sub plot.
>>
>>333397486
I didn't notice this till like my 3rd playthrough and it spooped me pretty good.
>>
>>333397041
There are no time jumping witches. Not even Ultimecia - by far the most powerful sorceress in all of existence - had the power to do so. She's using advanced future technology based on Ellone, who could send a person's consciousness back in time. She has limited use of her own powers in that form, but is still powerful enough to possess sorceresses, whose powers she can use in that time period.

I think you should just stop. It's blatantly obvious to everyone that you weren't capable of grasping anything about the game that you so arrogantly believe you knew through and through. I was 10 years old when I played FFVIII in 1999, and I still had a full grasp on the story, and I played that shit with a dictionary, English not being my native language.
>>
>>333397486
Yes, it's a 2deep4u moment. Truly the deepest lore.
>>
>>333398216
You sound much more like an arrogant prick than him, sorry bud. You're a genius alright.
>>
>>333398506
I seem arrogant because I'm deconstructing his arguments with actual facts from the game he pretends to know anything about.
>>
>>333398216
lmfao nerd

when I first played FF8 I mostly x spammed the conversations, reading a few of the cool parts loosely
>>
>>333398686
And this is how FF8 memes were born.
>>
So, to keep the sorceress' powers from transferring, Laguna truly had the best plan in place to completely eliminate the sorceresses as a problem to their world.
>>
So, was Adel a guy or not?
>>
>>333398962
If we re-used Laguna's plan with a fine tooth comb, and put Rinoa/Edea, Adel, and Ultimecia in a prison in space, the world would be perfect.

But, instead we're left with Rinoa being a sorceress, Ultimacia making someone else a sorceress, and who received Adel's powers?

Also, no Sorcerer's?
>>
>>333397041
>so by that theory Edea shouldn't need powers since she was already a sorceress?
What the fuck are you actually saying here? Yeah, The "Sorceress Edea" was actually the sorceress Ultimecia, taking possession of Edea the Orphanage keeper's body. Then, when Edea is nearly dead, she jumps out, possesses Rhinoa, in hope that she'll trick Squall into bringing her closer to Edel: She knew Edel could be of great use to her.
But what do you mean by not needing powers? And no: the ONLY TIME when a Sorceress EVER traveled in time was that one time, during the time compression. How hard is this to comprehend: Time compression: the biggest, most powerful and most fucking exhausting act of all time that Ultimecia manages to pull of JUST ONCE, after gathering the power of entire conquered Earth.

Why would other sorceresses travel through time when they die? No, they simply wander the world half-dead half living until they come across any victim that has sorcerer predisposition. Just ONCE it happened WHILE A TIME COMPRESSION was going on, and that allowed her to accidentally grab someone from a different time.

Also: YES THE SORCERESSES ARE IMMORTAL. I literally stated that in the previous post. Why the fuck do you think they keep Edel in a stasis rather than killing her? It's because killing her would just mean she is going to pop up somewhere else.
Seriously, did you even read the posts?
>>
>>333395642

Siren can refine tents into curagas. It's not like you have anything else to spend money on.

One of the brothers cards refines into 10(?) Adamantines.

Elnoyle cards refine into energy crystals, which ifrit can refine into pulse ammo.

Boom. Lionheart on the first disc. There's probably a way to do it earlier and with even less effort, but at least this way you don't really have to fight any regular enemies.
>>
>>333397486
The entire game is filled with neat touches like that. Seifer got his fighting style from watching a movie Laguna starred in 17 years earlier, which he pulled out of his ass on the spot. He also got his whole dream of becoming a sorceress' knight from the same source. And none of this is spelled out in the game for you, it's up to you to connect the dots.

The plot might be a clusterfuck, but at least it's an internally consistent clusterfuck (mostly, at least).
>>
>>333388386
It's a meme to hate it, game is good.
>>
File: ff8-amano-seifer2.jpg (131 KB, 880x1100) Image search: [Google]
ff8-amano-seifer2.jpg
131 KB, 880x1100
>>333399337
>Seifer is so fucking based he makes a fighting style that was made up by a retard to look cool work in actual combat, with a weapon considered incredibly difficult to wield even when you're doing it by the book

What a man.
>>
FFVIII has the most cohesive world design. The world makes sense and you can see how different regions get along / don't get along just by playing the game, you don't get hours of exposition from NPCs to explain it to you.

The setting is well realized and (time travel & GF stuff aside) the flow of the story and actions of characters makes total sense. You can see why Galbadia is making war. You know why Esthar keeps to its self. You see the differences between the three Gardens. Everything exists for a reason and nothing feels out of place - this is something that a lot of RPGs get wrong. "Here is an ice cave JUST BECAUSE", etc.
>>
>>333399208
This is explained in game, I believe. Hyne was actually a man (or was thought of as both a man and a woman) but magic users afterwards were all women. Something like that. You read about it in the library? Maybe? I can't remember.
>>
>>333399329
>Elnoyle card
>need 10 per crystal
>need 2 crystals
>20 elnoyle cards in disc 1.

Tedious as fuck grinding
>>
File: bestlookingguy.jpg (119 KB, 400x1012) Image search: [Google]
bestlookingguy.jpg
119 KB, 400x1012
The game has a good story.

But I really hate the Junction system, and I can't stand the Oblivion-tier level mob scaling.
>>
>>333394998
DLP TV? Same shit happened to my Mitsubishi. The replacement DLP chip was only $150 and easy to replace.
>>
>>333398216
What are you trying to prove with these posts exactly?
The story is complete dogshit.
Do you like Kingdom Heart's story too by any chance?
>>
>>333388386
It starts good, then gets really bad and boring.
Also boring world setting compared to the other FF games that came right before and after it.

The bad parts gets really annoying and obvious, as the first part is so good.
>>
>>333400582
>The story is complete dogshit.
It's really not. My intet was to school these memeing retards with an actual plot summary seen here: >>333393372
>>
>>333392292
what so bad about that dance scene?
>>
>>333395790
I actually am from tv but I'm not him. Would he have held the same opinions?
I'm a bit new, but I came here like 1 or 2 years after Avatar came out.
>>
>>333397486
spooky
>>
>>333400776
Yeah I read it, and it's something a 15 year old japanese edgelord would come up with for a Light Novel.
I ask you again, do you think KH has good writing too?
>>
File: Rinoa.Heartilly.full.926746.jpg (394 KB, 1227x1500) Image search: [Google]
Rinoa.Heartilly.full.926746.jpg
394 KB, 1227x1500
Best FF girl.
>>
Do you think Ultimecia let Seifer bang Edea's body? It's heavily implied that Seifer is the son of Edea and Cid. Kinky.
>>
>>333399813
Underrated post
>>
>>333399813
Yeah except when they fuck up like someone talking on a radio despite the interference
>>
>>333401275
Nah. He only banged rinoa
>>
>>333401094
>ff8
>kh
>comparably bad writing
Good one. KH literally has the worst writing in mainstream vidya.
>>
>>333388386
Definitive prerendered background PS1 RPG power rankings:
FF7 > FF9 >>>> FF8 = Legend of Dragoon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chrono Cross
>>
>>333401458
As long as the CIR is high enough you can transmit.
Radio telecommunications are doable at decent speeds(HSPA, LTE/LTE+) as long as they have 12~ dBs of relation between the carrier and interference, so it's just a matter of increasing the power.
The radio medium is never free of interferences, that doesn't mean it's not usable, I guess the interference in FF8 is so strong that you need too much infrastructure to make a viable radiolink or something.
>>
>>333392985
It does deserve multiple plays.
I only have one "complaint" about it, even though it's in my top 2 games of all time, which at least one other anon has mentioned in this thread.
The only thing I can't ignore is how Squall apparently falls in love with Rinoa for no reason. I mean I guess he's 17, but still.
>>
>>333398962
>>333399208
Any lore fanatics on this?
>>
>>333399991

As I said, there's probably an easier way. The fact that you can get squall's ultimate weapon on the first disc is just one example of how easily this game can be broken.
>>
>>333399053
he was a trannie
>>
>>333402726
That's the only way to get the Pulse Ammo. The fact you can get Squall's ultimate weapon by looking up the materials needed 2 discs before you encounter the schematic, and somehow are able to receive a card of a monster that doesn't exist until the Lunar Cry has happened to refine ammo for a character you've never heard of at that point in the game doesn't seem that broken to me.

Not to mention how fucking truly tedious it is to win 20 of those god damn cards, provided there's only one guy that plays the cards, and he might not even play them in every card game, and you might not win every card game either.
>>
R = U
way better than R + L = J
>>
>>333401186
Try like the absolute worst dude.
And VIII is my favorite FF.
>>
File: Yuffie.jpg (378 KB, 619x1000) Image search: [Google]
Yuffie.jpg
378 KB, 619x1000
>>333401186
She doesn't even make the list, lmfao.
>>
File: laguna_loire_by_spectre0[1].jpg (37 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
laguna_loire_by_spectre0[1].jpg
37 KB, 639x480
>>333388386
when will we get a game that is just about Laguna?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs
>>
>>333400323
My sides
>>
FF8 has Quistis. Best game 10/10
>>
>>333403290

Yeah, it's almost like they weren't stupid enough to make the Lionheart accidentally obtainable. Of course it takes some foreknowledge.

Also, I wouldn't call a couple hours of cards that terrible in comparison to previous examples of Final Fantasy item grinding. Good luck figuring out how to get knights of the round on your own.
>>
>>333404215
My nigger.
>>
>>333404259
>CHOCOBOS HAVE ABILITIES TO TRAVERSE THE MAP BETTER?
>THERE'S A SAGE THAT WALKS ME THROUGH THE BREEDING PROCESS IF i TALLK TO HIM THROUGHOUT THE GAME AND PAY ATTENTION
>THERE'S A CAVE IN THE CORNER OF THE MAP!

so tuff
>>
File: 1448665403090.jpg (8 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
1448665403090.jpg
8 KB, 205x246
>>333404073
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1eXcuDyidk
>>
All the side quests and the card game keep it from being shit. Still its a game i will never care to play again. 7>10>6>>9>>>8>12>>>13
>>
>>333404694

I bet I could get 80 elnoyle cards by the time you finish running around riding bird dicks.

Also, you can't even start the process until fairly late in the game.
>>
>>333389751
FF7 and DBZ go hand in hand?
>>
>>333388386
It's not bad, just boring as fuck
>>
>>333404843
8 is my favorite so I won't include it in the ranking:

7>10>9>13>>>>>>>>>>>>>12
>>
>>333404965
>Why does your hair look like you're trying to be like Goku
>>
>>333388386
I really do consider myself a Final Fantasy fan but 8 bored me to tears.

7 was exceedingly difficult to get into as well.
>>
>>333388386
Who cares about FF8. 6 is the best game by far.
>>
File: nedry.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
nedry.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>333404965
>anon mentions 90s anime
>other anon thinks of DBZ first
Jesus Christ lad, pretty poor.
>>
>>333405082
But Goku doesn't have a token black sidekick.
Well there's popo.
>>
Its a bad game.

But I love it.
>>
>>333405312
Piccolo doesn't count?
>>
>>333388386

It's fucking awful, the plot is complete fucking asinine garbage

>>333333332
>>
>>333405358
Shit. I forgot.
>>
>>333403410
Nah.

>>333403840
Yuffie is also the best.
>>
>>333404845
But dat beta though
>>
>>333388386
Has a really fucking solid disk 1 that slowly goes down hill from there.
>>
>>333405559

Beta is pretty great, yeah. Doesn't take too much effort to get either.

It doesn't remain an utter murder skill for the entire game, however. Makes things very easy for quite a while anyway.
>>
>>333388386
There's basically a 'press button to win' in every battle. Brainless and no challenge.
>>
>>333399813
This.

FF8 was a beautiful game, and they really took a chance making it essentially a romance story. It made me feel things.

My only complaint is it was absurdly easy if you understood the game systems, there was literally never any danger if you played some cards and ended up with 5k HP 1 shotting monsters with your base attack all on Disc 1.

At the same time, lots of people who complain about FF8 do so because they are too retarded to figure out how to junction, and spent half the game spamming Draw. I remember watching my cousin play it, and he kept trying to kill Diablo all the way from disc 1 to 3. I just junctioned Blind to my Stat-Mag, hit him once, and could literally go afk since it was impossible for to me to die now.

This scene was my favorite.
>>
>>333388386
It's a great game and the best of the PS1 Final Fantasys.
>>
>>333406058
I agree with you on the points you made, but don't you think it was kind of crazy how Squall goes from
>goddamn it you bitch just fuck off so annoying
to
>goddamn it I love her so much I'd do anything for her
almost out of nowhere?
Just curious. The game is still the best though.
>>
>>333406425
Seifer to Edea as a Sorceress is Squall to Rinoa as a Sorceress.
>>
>>333406425
He was just being tsun.
>>
File: Final.Fantasy.VIII.full.1831324.jpg (324 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
Final.Fantasy.VIII.full.1831324.jpg
324 KB, 700x900
>yfw you realize Squall never loved Rinoa but Ultimecia ensorcelled him into loving her at the end of disc 2, causing them to end up in Esthar and eventually compress time.

Still, Rinoa a cute.
>>
>>333406425
He was just being tsun, when he realized she could be lost forever he snapped and went full dere since he didn't want to lose someone like his sister again.
>>
>>333406516
I see what you're saying.
>>
>>333406135

VII>>IX>>>VIII

It had some good ideas, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the game, but it's a jumbled mess both in plot and gameplay.
>>
>>333406689
Seifer seemed really out of place when he all of a sudden decided against executing the President of Deiling, and joining with Edea.
>>
It along with 13 and 2 are the garbage FF games

9 > 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>> 8
>>
>>333406894
9 shitter literally kill yourself.
>>
>>333406425
>>333406516
>>333406534
>>333406671
Squall dies at the end of disc 1. The whole thing is a dream, there's no other way to explain all the bullshit.
>>
Drawing was the most tedious bullshit ever, junctions system was easy as fuck to break making the game ridiculously easy, and leveling up barely served any purpose other than to make enemies stronger. Also being forced to constantly switch between parties when you only have 3 characters with good junctions was extremely irritating. The plot was ok but the forced romance ruined it for many, also the world wasn't very varied or interesting unlike other FFs. Despite all of this, I still managed to have a lot of fun while replaying it recently, much to my surprise, although it's definitely the weakest out of the PSX games.
>>
File: endshot4.jpg (75 KB, 536x287) Image search: [Google]
endshot4.jpg
75 KB, 536x287
>>333406516
>>333406627
This fan theory pretty much ruined the game for me.
>>
>>333406671
Wait what,he had a sister?
I think young me didn't pay a lot of attention.

Didn't help that my last disc was scratched and it froze during the cutscene after the final boss. Stopped caring about the game at that point. only watched the ending years later.
>>
>>333407112
It's not that weird.
The game even spells out his internal monologues so you can know what he thinks, how is that hard to understand that he was just pretending to be a loner because he was afraid of being abandoned again?
>>
>>333407112
>Final Fantasy
Explained. Fuck off, m8.
>>
>>333406723
Nice rankings but you're wrong.

VIII > IX >×VII

VII is a great game but highly overrated, mainly by people who started the series or JRPGs in general with it. VIII's plot makes perfect sense so I don't get where you're getting the jumbled mess thing from. If you haven't been able to figure it out after 17 years you have a problem.
>>
>>333406425
Ultimecia controlled Edea and magically made Seifer love her.

Ultimecia passed from Edea to Rinoa, making Squall love her.
>>
>>333406894
2 is the only bad FF.
>>
>>333407204
Well I don't think she was blood related, but Ellone was his "big sister".
>>
>>333407203
Just ignore it. It's a bullshit theory a bunch of stupid people like to spread because they were unable to understand a fairly simple plot.
>>
File: tumblr_nmtirnj0sh1rtbkkjo2_400.gif (2 MB, 268x325) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmtirnj0sh1rtbkkjo2_400.gif
2 MB, 268x325
>>333407148
>he actually drawed
>>
>>333407307

Any plot involving time travel or time ANYTHING is completely retarded if you actually bother thinking about it.

I understood the time compression plot just fine, it's just fucking stupid.

IX is the overrated game. It's a nice refined injection of FF, but it brings absolutely nothing new to the table, and its gameplay systems were very weak.

Ability learning was too segmented, forcing characters into linear paths

The trance system was just terribly implemented

The game speed itself was way too slow

Half of the cast is completely pointless, and adds nothing to the story, not is needed in gameplay.

Not to mention the completely retarded motivations of Kuja, and the total asspull of a final boss.
>>
>>333388386
The base mechanics were actually pretty good, the balance was just awful and as such the game was teeribly easy. Though one thing that should have been changed from the combat system is the ability to spam limit breaks.
>>
File: best girl.jpg (175 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
best girl.jpg
175 KB, 640x448
Objectively.
>>
It was what FFXIII is now before FFXIII came out. No, it's not a bad game, but it's one of the least good in the series.
>>
>>333407067
Shit taste

>>333407428
13 and 8 both have shit stories (even by FF's standards) as well as terrible combat systems. At least 8 has a good ost
>>
>>333407679
>girl
am I missing something?
>>
>>333407834
Yes.
>>
File: 1455739123287.jpg (42 KB, 595x720) Image search: [Google]
1455739123287.jpg
42 KB, 595x720
I liked the Squall/Rinoa romance.

That scene in space where he goes after her...

>tfw no eyes on me, ever
>>
>>333388386
My opinion is it's forgettable shit.
Though this >>333389617 is right.
>>
>>333407203

Rinoa is evil. The point is you don't shack up with sloots.
>>
8 has a dull start. Even 13 was able to keep the start interesting as you hop between characters, slicing through hordes of enemies towards a girl to save.

8, you just wake up, go to class, and read some tl;dr articles on a PC. You can dick around with cards too I guess. Put a timer on your first dungeon when you eventually saunter over there, but it's set up as an exam, the most favourite thing of kids and teenagers. "Whatever."

A bad ending leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
A bad opening means you never even reach the second act.
>>
>>333408006
>taking Seifers sloppy seconds
Squall was a cuck.
>>
File: 1441749573247.gif (87 KB, 280x297) Image search: [Google]
1441749573247.gif
87 KB, 280x297
>>333389751
>poetry
Jesus that's fucking cringey.
>>
>>333407765
FF13 is just a horribly put together game. I mean, how the fuck does that even go through the system and no one points out "hey, our storytelling is abysmal, we should do something about it".
>>
>>333388386
The game was obscenely easy, I spent 99% of it with Enc None on and killed everything else with either Zell's Limit Break or spamming Fast Ammo on Irvine.
>>
>>333408193
This is what happens when toriyama is put in charge. He had a small part of power with FFX so he got a big dick and fucked it up afterwards
>>
File: ff8_squall-car.jpg (57 KB, 567x448) Image search: [Google]
ff8_squall-car.jpg
57 KB, 567x448
>>333406425
Problem is romance is something the ENTIRE story hinges upon, first in the series to take it to that extreme, yet it's clearly treated as a tertiary element throughout the entire game, until the last disk or so.
>>
>Dollet raid
Oh boy this is great, I can't wait for more of this
>After Dollet
Oh...
>Assassination through jailbreak
Okay back to being kinda cool
>Orphanage
I'm out, m8
>>
My shitty, incomplete opinion
XII>IX=VI>V>VII>X>VIII=IV>XIII>XIII-2
I still enjoyed XIII somewhat
>>
amazing OST
amazing story
developed characters
retarded gameplay

I give it a 7/10
>>
File: zolom.gif (213 KB, 320x512) Image search: [Google]
zolom.gif
213 KB, 320x512
>>333408067
Especially following this https://youtu.be/dTkvKyl6ens
>>
So, since Enix linked Spira to the FF7 Planet.

Was Sin a Mako Weapon, created by the cycle of the planet's lifespan from the Lifestream?

Mako=Machina
>>
>>333408409
>>333408450
problem is disk 1 is amazing, some parts of disk 2 are great and everything else ranges from bad to acceptable. ff8 kicks it off with a bang and builds up your expectations way too much early on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhxlwQFiGyA
>>
>>333406058
The problem with the romance centered plot was that the girl was shit. Dear god, that cunt was so unlikeable that for the first time in my life I renamed a character in jrpg into 'dumb bitch' and made an effort to skip all her dialogue and to never have her in my party.
>>
>>333407979
https://youtu.be/xZZIX781NmA

;_;

This scene was really memorable, they even used it to demo the PS2.
>>
>>333407765
13 has a godly OST too.
>>
The game would have been much better if Seifer was the protagonist.
>>
>>333408645
Just remembering that bitch makes me wanna punch the screen
>>
>>333388386
People tend to either hate it for the unconventional romantic story or like the same thing for being actually quite realistic because teenagers are awkward like that.
That and the story just quickly drops the ball after missile base. Or junction was too hard for them so they just looked up a guide on how to break it.
>>
Triple triad alone made it one of the best
>>
>>333408067
>8, you just wake up, go to class, and read some tl;dr articles on a PC. You can dick around with cards too I guess.

You wake up in a cool place b4 shit hits the fan.
You can just leisurely walk around, chat with people and there is no immediate evil sword of Damocles hanging above the whole universe.

It wasnt a slow start, it was a comfy start.
>>
>>333408645
She wasn't, Rinoa was just the opposite of Squall, open and earnest, so having them juxtapose made her seem less favorable in the eyes of most teenage boys ready to think Squall's indifference was the shit. Once you become open to the idea he's mentally ill Rinoa appears in a much better light.
>>
File: dquist6195.jpg (1005 KB, 987x1675) Image search: [Google]
dquist6195.jpg
1005 KB, 987x1675
>>333404215
Truth. It is a great shame that the initial idea of a more fleshed out "rivalry" between Rinoa and Quistis was all but completely phased out of the final game. As a side effect of this, Quistis' character becomes entirely one-dimensional because of the stuff that didn't "make the cut". The Ultimania guide mentions this a few times.

Still - TOTYAY.
>>
The limit break system was pretty fucking dumb with how you were able to just tab through your guys real quick for free bullshit
I like that they eventually decided to go back to the VII system in X after 2 complete failures
>>
>>333409029
That is a slow fucking start anon.
>>333408570
>>
>>333408709
>Goes from total shit to pretty decent
I think squall actually died during this dance. Only explanation why he suddenly becomes a better dancer.

But I agree, loved that scene. i think ff7 came with a disce that had the intro from ff8 and this scene. Watched it a lot of times.
>>
>>333406671
This post is correct. Squall has already lost one woman he cared about, and suddenly being confronted with the scenario that he might lose the second he goes full on "fuck everyone's shit I'm doing things my way" mode.
>>
File: alexsmithreceivers.gif (3 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
alexsmithreceivers.gif
3 MB, 250x250
>>333409105
At least you could attack in FFX and save your limit breaks.

>mfw want to 4x cut
>mfw have to omnislash first
>>
>>333409345
>>333406671
>implying Squall even remembered he had a sister at that point
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.