[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: Final_Fantasy_XI_logo.png (47 KB, 300x163) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_XI_logo.png
47 KB, 300x163
What happened?
>>
>>333380465

Square decided they wanted to make WoW-lite.

So, FFXIV was born.
>>
>>333382612
Are you saying that FFXIV killed FFXI?
>>
I'm playing it now. Pretty fun single player FF story at this point. Can take a job from 1 to 99 in a day. Sure, I miss the 2004 summer days doing it the old way but that's a pipe dream at this point. I'm just going to finish the whole story to get some closure.
>>
>>333380465
Grounds of Valor happened.
>>
>>333380465
Game couldn't adapt to the new MMO crowd.

Now it's literally a single player game with a sub fee.
>>
File: 1454089714862.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454089714862.gif
1 MB, 500x500
There's still end game content that requires teamwork and alliances. Many things have been made easier to avoid a ridiculous grind.

It's faster but somehow still feels like the same game even without me camping Aspid and Nidhogg for 8 hours in the morning before going to high school.

I like it. I miss the old one but the old one just can't exist in that state anymore.
>>
>>333382678
Absolutely. Not him but I wouldn't doubt square is intentionally shitting up ff11 in order to get people to switch
>>
>>333380465
S-E sabotaged it because they wanted their player base to switch to XIV.

Abyssea was the beginning of the end.
>>
>>333382748
Suppose I just want to play it for the story, what is the best soloing class?
>>
>>333382678
Yup thats exactly what happened.
>>
They slowly turned it casual.
>>
>>333382863
It kep the company alive with a steady stream of income for many years. I don't think they could of done that if they tried to be another WoW-killer.
>>
>>333382863
>Now it's literally a single player game with a sub fee
Are you talking about XI or XIV?
>>
>>333382878
>>333382917
>>333382947
You people are fucking delusional. It's what I expect from longtime FFXI NEETs.
>>
>>333383039
XI because at least XIV has players. XI is so dead they give you AI trust members now.
>>
>>333383050
>Longtime XI NEETS
>Not knowing what happened to their game

Looks like you're the delusional one.
>>
I prefer the more casual solo-friendly game it is now, but I wish it was still populated. Sad seeing 200 people online, with half of those being shop mules.

Also, are they being ddos'd or something? there's been weird connection problems since yesterday.
>>
>>333383050
I haven't played FFXI since 2008 you dumb donut. You're the delusional fuck if you think FFXIV is even remotely a good game
>>
>>333383171

I experienced some problems and actually got stuck at a black loading screen earlier this weekend after I ported to my MH. But that was maybe 3-4 days ago.
>>
>>333383183
I never even implied FFXIV yet you automatically assume that. Talk about being a deluded defensive faggot.
>>
>>333383050
You think it's delusional to believe a developer would add content to appeal to people that it didn't appeal to on its first run? Or for gear that used to take months to get to be outdated by gear you can buy with points you can accumulate in one day? Or for a game to be made easier to solo when you lose 90% of the game's old population?
>>
File: Why.png (73 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
Why.png
73 KB, 412x351
>>333382917
>Abyssea was the beginning of the end.

I said this for MONTHS after Abyssea came out, and nobody fucking believed me.

The casuals ruin everything man.
>>
>>333380465
Weeb version of post Legacy of Steel Everquest that was dumbed down for PS2, it was bound to die eventually.
>>
>>333383050
When did you start to play XI?
>>
>>333383171
The forced teamwork is what I loved about the game though. The game would of been a billion times better if they just improved the party finding system.
>>
>>333383383
It was fun to start with cause it was all brand new. But it was only a few years later that we all started to realise what it had started.
>>
>>333383019
People don't realize that FFXI was the most profitable Main FF Title to this day. They still think it's FFVII.
>>
You know... the thing I hate most about XIV compared to XI is the absolute lack of meaning to the story.

Some of this is the translation team's fault. Like with 2.0 Haurchefaunt.

But, honestly, everything in the story feels so detached from the game world. Like, the only reason you have to run back to the Waking Sands 50 times is because the devs wanted you to. Not because the NPCs have anything important to pass along or give you.

And everything feels so cramped, even in the HW zones. Though they're better... ish. But in ARR, the NPC dialog describes an arduous multi-day journey to get an item... and it's three feet away from them in game.
Yeah, 1.0 was too far the other way, with huge, empty, copy-pasted zones... but fuck at least they tried.
>>
>Muh old school MMO feels
Why does every MMO player do this cringe worthy shit
>>
>>333382928
BST, always and forever. Sub DNC.
>>
>>333383532
>muh greentext no argument
why do faggots on 4chan do this meme shit?
>>
>>333382928
Literally any. Most powerful are probably BLU/BST/RDM/SMN/SAM/GEO. I mostly play on THF and DNC for the speed. You'll only need help for some of the Rhapsody bosses and there are plenty of people on Asura willing to help.
>>
So we all hate FFXIV here right? I mean that's usually the point of these threads to circlejerk about how good FFXI was and how bad FFXIV is.
>>
>>333382678
Actually, it did. If you read about the staff of FFXI and how they were moved around you would know XIV killed FFXI. It is known fact that large parts of the XI dev team were sent to work on XIV instead, including every leading staff member for CoP, barring Kenichi Iwao.

Is it also any coincidence that when XIV 1.0 was rightfully shit on for being total garbage that all of a sudden a fifth expansion was announced for XI? And then right after XIV ARR ends up being a financial success they announce XI will no longer get any more expansions?
>>
>>333383659
XI and XIV player here. I like XIV but I can only play it for a few months, then I take a few months break each time. It doesn't hook me, and it's mainly because of the vertical gear progression that kills older content.
>>
>>333383682
XI team was responsible for XIV 1.0? Talk about a shitty one trick pony team.
>>
>>333383659
I played XIV from 1.0 launch through Heavensward. It was fun but I quit because I was only logging in to play TT at one point.
>>
>>333383894
Triple Triad is a god-tier minigame though.

If only FFXI shipped with that instead of Tetra Master.
>>
>>333383741
So if they switched to a horizontal progression model then you would play nonstop? Do people really care more about loot than running old content for fun?
>>
>>333384004
Would certainly help if the old content was fun.
>>
>>333383752
XI team varied greatly over the years. A great deal of the key members of XI actually left right after RoZ, when Square and Enix had that merger. CoP was made by people who worked directly under them, then those people left around ToAU, presumably to make XIV 1.0.

It's hard to really know what exactly went wrong with XIV 1.0. I've heard some people say that the story for XIV 1.0 was actually really good (wouldn't surprise me since CoP and XIV 1.0 had the same writer as I recall). SE never really wants to talk about XIV 1.0 again so we'll never know what the fuck happened behind the scenes with it.
>>
XIV is still focused on running old content over and over though. The whole purpose of the roulette system is to make it so the old content still has people doing it so newbies aren't unable to progress due to everyone doing newer content.
>>
>>333384004
But vertical gear progression actively kills old content.
>>
>>333383979
Agreed and I fucking loved it in XIV. Got accused of cheating after winning three tournaments in a row. Seeing how most of the XIV player base struggles with basic mechanics it's no wonder they can't handle plus and same rules.
>>
if you guys played on the Aether datacenter or EU datacenter in FFXIV, no wonder you have an opinion that the XIV playerbase are a bunch of shitty people.
>>
>>333384398
Played on Primal. FFXIV playerbase is awful.

>>333380465
SE wanted people to switch over to FFXIV. Modern FFXI is still leagues above FFXIV though.
>>
>>333384784
What MMO doesn't have a awful playerbase? All MMOs attract the worst of autists.
>>
>>333385135
>What MMO doesn't have a awful playerbase
FFXI :^)
>>
>>333385135
I made more friends playing XI than I did irl, and I'm a pretty popular guy.
>>
>>333385187
bias

>>333385247
I made more friends in Ragnarok Online too but I still agree that the playerbase is god awful.
>>
>>333385135
An MMO that forces interaction won't completely prevent a shitty playerbase, but it certainly encourages people not to act like fuckwads because nobody wants to party with an asshole.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.