[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: unnamed (1).png (353 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).png
353 KB, 620x350
What went wrong?
>>
Same thing that went wrong with Planetside 2 and SWG. SOE.
>>
Daybreak
>>
>>333373630
>we want the telltale audience
>>
>>333373630
They left SOE so they had no funding, fired all their good devs because they couldn't afford them, then went "oh shit, we dont have the talent or the funding to make this game fun"

So fucking short sighted it hurts.
>>
>>333373826
wot
>>
>>333373867
>They left SOE
didn't SOE get sold off?
>>
File: Lashing, baby.webm (3 MB, 560x350) Image search: [Google]
Lashing, baby.webm
3 MB, 560x350
>>333373867
>They left SOE
They are SOE. They got a boot from Sony.
>>
>>333373965
From what I heard they bought themselves out to be away from Sony and rebranded as 'Daybreak'
>>
>>333373986
I meant sony sorry
>>
File: 1428615371266.gif (97 KB, 498x594) Image search: [Google]
1428615371266.gif
97 KB, 498x594
>>333373867
>tfw remembering the hype-man from when they first announced it

Dude was so passionate, reminded me a lot of the old Blizzard/North teams. He would have seen it through and made a fantastic game given the chance, yet they fucking fired him. Those fucking shitlords.
>>
File: sb+1.jpg (102 KB, 580x320) Image search: [Google]
sb+1.jpg
102 KB, 580x320
>>333373630
Everything that could go wrong went wrong.

The cherry on top of the shit sundae is the fact we'll never see something so ambitious wanting to demolish the preconceived rules of a traditional mmo ever again.

Might as well play console shit
>>
File: latest.png (372 KB, 740x490) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
372 KB, 740x490
>>333374253
>Might as well play console shit

i already do :(
>>
>>333374253

Broad and bold

So what's the story about this shit game and why it didn't succeed? Too ambitious?
>>
>>333373630
Too ambitious.
When I saw the game play I was interested in how they would even pull it off. The amount of resources they would have needed to try to attempt to do half the ideas they wanted was not available. They really needed a good publisher but it was too late.
>>
File: 1457687240179.jpg (43 KB, 524x435) Image search: [Google]
1457687240179.jpg
43 KB, 524x435
>>333374253
The AI was the main drawing point of this game. Emergent AI was the future of single player gaming and co-op.

Holy fuck I'm mad the company behind it had to disband. Back to playing PvP based games like shooters and fighting games for another 10 years.
>>
>>333373630
I knew this game would never come out when I saw the destructible ground that opens up new underground levels.
>>
>>333374253
I think this is why it hurts the most. I don't think any genre has had it as bad as the MMORPG. It seems like any time something truly creative and passionate comes up, it's ruined either by corporate restructuring or by retarded developmental u-turns.

WoW definitely did a number on it, but any other genre would have recuperated one way or another by now. Especially with how horribly managed WoW has been since 2014. Instead, all mmorpgs are fucking dead garbage heaps filled with backwards pay incentives, with the exception of old version servers such as the WoW classic servers and RS 07, but even they can't cast light on the magic that those once emanated.

I guess what it all comes down to is the massive budgets these games require to be made. I'm not even sure if the communities that brought these games up since as far back as EQ are even still around or interested, it will take some serious magic to rekindle this genre if there's ever a game that comes along to do it.
>>
>>333378281
This.

I've been waiting so long for someone to spend more than 0,005% of their development time on AI.
>>
>>333373717
>Same thing that went wrong with Planetside 2
Planetside 2 has had a pretty successful run. Games aren't meant to last forever. WoW survives barely at this point, puking out subscriptions. EvE only has a niche community really, even if it is massive.
>>
>>333373630

The company that was making it got sold.
>>
>>333380130
>had a pretty successful run
I'm not talking how successful it was in making SOE money, I'm talking about how the great concept was ruined in the favour of making more money by giving the least shit about the project.
>>
>>333380130
>Planetside 2 has had a pretty successful run.

Lol it was a broken peice of shit it's whole lifetime
>>
>>333380325
What do you really want to see happen though? These people are running businesses, not making masterpieces to last decades. I played a good 400 hours on PS2 with my best friend, and spent about $50 on a few things, and that seems perfectly fine.

Most people I'd imagine played in a similar fashion. It's unreasonable to expect to have a flawless product, that also will keep your interest for years and years. They're video games, sources of entertainment for the consumers and profit for the creators.
>>
>>333380639
I want them not to add additional booster slots. I want them not to add ugly as sin camos and golden cosmetics that ruin art direction. I want them not to ask players for real money every time they die. I want them to add actual content. And I sure as hell want them to fix biolabs that were broken from day one.

>flawless product
Fuck right off, PS2 is not even a decent product. It's a laggy unfinished piece of shit that they milked to death just to make a quick buck. 3.5 years after release the game still feels unfinished as it did on release, turning PC version into console port didn't help much either, so now the game even looks like shit, not just plays like so.
>>
>>333378281
>>333380112
Are you guys me?
>>
File: Sony is now a US company.jpg (101 KB, 669x688) Image search: [Google]
Sony is now a US company.jpg
101 KB, 669x688
>2015
>sony puts all it's PC related services under a single American subsidiary called SOE
>sells it off as a nice package with a bow on it

>sony puts the PS4 and all it's console related services under a single American subsidiary called SIE
>(take a guess what's going to happen next)

Anyone else starting to notice a pattern here?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.