[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/. PC noob here, getting ready to buy components for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: intel-core-i7-6700k-2-1500x1000.jpg (164 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
intel-core-i7-6700k-2-1500x1000.jpg
164 KB, 1500x1000
Hey /v/. PC noob here, getting ready to buy components for a real rig. Wondering if any of you could give me some advice on some things. Let's start with processors. I was thinking of getting the i7 6700k. Is this good? I have to ask because I know literally nothing. Pic related.
>>
Why would you here for advice?
>>
>>333345143
Because why not?
>>
>>333344927
You don't need an i7 for gaming. Shit, you barely need a skylake to begin with (though they are good processors and the motherboards that take them tend to be pretty god-tier)
>>
i5s in general are plenty for games. There are rare times where you get some more performance from an i7, and they have their applications (encoding, media creation, etc), but for the most part if you're just gaming an i5 is plenty. Use the saved money to put towards a better GPU.
>>
>>333345252
Because a lot of people enjoy lying to trip others up
>>
>>333344927
you probably don't need an i7 dude, do you do anything outside of video games? Audio engineering? Video editing?
>>
File: 51k6TYansyL._SY400_.jpg (31 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
51k6TYansyL._SY400_.jpg
31 KB, 500x356
>>333345312
I was trying to decide between that and an AMD FX octa-core. This is the mobo I was going to get to go with the i7, if that's the route I ended up going.
>>
>>333345704
Well I did want to stream...
>>
File: 19-113-284-Z02.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
19-113-284-Z02.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>333345453
Would this be an acceptable item to use instead?
>>
>>333346297
Honestly? No.

AMD is cost effective and I do give them credit for that. However, they prioritize MOAR COREZ over stronger single core efficiency. On paper it looks better, but in practice i5s just end up being better even at similar core speeds.
>>
>>333344927
I6-6600K
GA-Z170XP-SLI
GTX 980Ti
EVGA 650GS or G1
Any case you want.
NH-U12S.

There, your build is done.
You done need a I7 for gaming, get a I5.
Avoid AMD since you will play games on it.
>>
>>333346612
>I6-6600K
I5-6600K*
>>
No, i5s are fine unless you want to do CPU intensive shit like video encoding/rendering, or emulate shitty PS2 games in software mode. And don't be a fucking kike when it comes to the PSU.
>>
>>333346886
This, also keep in mind that if you pay your own power bills, a gold efficiency PSU will cost more upfront but save you money in the long run
>>
>>333346586
Okay. That makes sense. Thanks anon. Honestly I really don't know shit about computers. I'm currently using a laptop with a swollen battery that I can't replace.

So, more cores don't really do that much, huh?
>>
>>333346297
If you want an AMD processor wait for the new Zen chips to arrive later this year, or at least for their new motherboard socket so that you can upgrade to Zen.

>>333345453
This is still correct for now, but upcoming games will be able to use 16+ threads. A 4 core / 4 thread CPU will bottleneck them terribly and $200+ is too much to spend for that sort of chip.
>>
>>333347115
Cores help to an extent. Largely though CPUs won't be your bottleneck unless as mentioned you're doing encoding. But yeah, a top tier i5 would last you for years.
>>
>>333347082
The money you save from having a gold/titanium/platinum PSU is laughable, you should get those because they're (generally) more reliable. Just read the PSU guide on Tom's Hardware.
>>
>>333347345
It would have had you gotten it years ago. Now a 4 thread CPU isn't such a hot purchase.
>>
>>333347262
>upcoming games will be able to use 16+ threads
People have been saying that shit for years and yet most games still run on 2 threads, 4 tops.
>>
>>333347115
Read Logicalincrements.

Cores do matter, but most programs dont use more than 4.

So having 4 strong cores is better than having 6 weak ones or 8 fake ones.
>>
>>333346612
I was going to use the MSI R7 370 4G Gaming graphics card. Is that halfway decent? I'm kind of sketched out by GeForces.
>>
>>333347540
Not really, is somewhat a low end card this days.
Nvidia is the best if you want to play games.
>>
>>333344927
yeah hyper threading is amazing breaux
>>
>>333347641
Even with their drivers doing all kinds of shitty things?
>>
>>333347726
Yup.

First time was just clickbait, the recent one is true, but that doesn't make the cards bad.
>>
>>333347262
Okay, so what are threads?
>>
>>333347262
*upcoming games*

no, as long as consoles are quad core that's what everything will be optimized for
>>
>>333347489
Because they're stuck with old APIs because till recently you couldn't use a modern graphics API on an old version of Windows and the modern multi-core friendly API was Windows 10 / Xbox only. Now though there's Vulkan and there's no reason to put up with artificial restrictions on hardware anymore.

With Vulkan i5's big advantage, single thread performance isn't going to matter as much, and its main Achilles heel is going to be a bigger drawback. If you have to buy a CPU today pick up a cheap stop-gap, or go all out with an i7. If you can wait for Zen to shake things up you should. Worst case scenario you'll be able to pick up Intel hardware a bit cheaper.
>>
>>333347802
Think of smaller cores.

Go to
>>>/g/sqt

If you have questions like that, /v/ its not really the place for this kind of discussion actually and people will just lie to you.
why? that is what /v/ is like.
>>
>>333347790
You're never under obligation to download a driver the second it comes out.

Just play a wait and see attitude and you'll be fine.

The literal worst I've had from Nvidia was a BSOD from multi-monitor use, and that was not only an easy fix but a quick one.
>>
>>333347802
It's pretty straight forward man. Google should give you all the answers.
>>
>>333347806
But consoles aren't quad core, both the PS4 and the Xbone have SOC chips that have 8 of AMD's low power 'cat' cores. Literally the only way to get decent performance out of them is to use multithreading to your advantage.

The proliferation of PC CPUs without the ability to run large number of threads and the unavailability of modern APIs is part of why console ports recently keep sucking.
>>
>>333347802
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_(computing)

This might help you understand the thread of this conversation.
>>
>>333348224
Or it's just poorly optimized rushed PC ports. I have a 4790k and two 980s, and I get piss poor performance on some multi-platform games. It's nothing to do with the console's high thread count. It's just shit port jobs.
>>
>Hey /v/, I'm a retard who has no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm ready to join le PC master race so I can play Undertale in 4k!
It always amuses me how PCucks pretend to be the superior gaming class when they'll literally beg anyone they can to build a PC and shit up their games.
>>
>>333344927
i7's are largely unnecessary unless you plan on playing something like Star Citizen.
>>
>>333347947
I'll "eagerly" wait the day that games start using more than 4 cores, until then I'll keep enjoying my 2500k which has proved to be a retardedly good investment.
>>
>>333348375
shit port jobs because the typical console looks like this:
8 core CPU, Mantle based graphics API (Vulkan / D3D12 equivalent)

meanwhile the average Windows PC looks like this:
2 core CPU (4 threads), D3D11 graphics API

That's a fairly big difference and its why developers are having trouble. Hopefully Vulkan catches on quickly and DX dies rapidly so that we no longer have to deal with purposeful fragmentation of the PC platform by a console maker.
>>
>>333348458
Yeah, that's the gist of it, but I don't want to play Undertale. Excuse me for trying to learn more to better enjoy my favorite pastime.
>>
>>333344927
Think about these things before you start a build
>How much money am I willing to spend?
Will dictate the overall quality of your build, purchasing a possessor that expensive without knowing if you'll be using CPU intensive applications or knowing how to overclock it will be a complete waste of money. Set a budget, it'll make the whole process simpler.
>What games would I like to play? And at what graphical fidelity?
This will probably indicate what kind of GPU you'll be getting. Some games work better with Nvidia and some work better with AMD, do some research.
>Will I be doing more than gaming? (Video editing, 3D modeling, graphic design, streaming, etc)
If the answer is yes then you may want a decent processor, but if you'll just be gaming an i5 will do just fine.
>Do I care about loading times?
If your answer is yes then you should invest into an SSD for either a primary or secondary drive for just your games.
>How much space around my desk do I have for a case?
This will determine the size of the case, motherboard, cooling options and possibly graphics card.
>What kind of display would I like?
Do you want a high framerate monitor or a high resolution monitor? There are definitely monitors that are capable of both, but prioritizing one will save you some money.
>Speakers or a headset?
Please get studio headphones, do not fall for "gamer" headsets. If you want a mic with your headphones get a Blue Snowball.
>Mechanical keyboard?
Look into different switches, good beginner switches are MX blues or MX browns. MX reds are "for gamers" but most beginners won't be able to distinguish a linear switch from a membrane.
>Mouse?
Wired or wireless? How many extra buttons do you need on it?
>Do I care about aesthetics?
This also takes into account how much you're spending, most affordable components don't look all that great, but this will determine if you care about matching colors, LEDs, etc.

Answer these questions and make a build on Pcpartpicker dot com.
>>
>>333348930
Buy a PS4 instead if you actually enjoy games. If you build a PC, all you'll be doing is shitposting on /v/ and throwing tantrums about framerate.
>>
>>333348894
Also shitty devs that cant into optimization are a problem.

>Game has performance problem
>Welp lets just increase the minimum requeriments to a I5 and a mid end videocard
>>
>>333344927
>>/g/
>>
>>333348827
Ironically your good fortune is part of why Intel is among the coalition now pushing for Vulkan. They're desperate to make their own older chips obsolete. Single thread performance has largely hit a wall, pushing more cores is now their only option.
>>
>>333349073
>Ass blasted ps4 owner can't get past the almost nonexistent entry barrier to pc gaming

Own both buddy, it's not that expensive to get something that runs better than a console.
>>
>>333348894
Yes, but as I listed I have 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores.

It's not the issue of the CPU, it's the shit devs and the difference in API primarily.
>>
>>333349245
I do own both.
>>
>>333349184
>>333345143
/g/ will send him back here, no one wins.
>>
>>333344927
Hey op, check this site out. helps with compatibility with parts.

pc part picker is the name
>>
>>333349269
Right but even when you have the hardware developers have to aim at the lowest common denominator. All the guys who keep up the 'i5 i5 i5!' mantra are holding back the PC just as certainly as Microsoft now is by attempting to hobble desktop PCs with outdated APIs to force everyone to 'upgrade' to their new Tablet OS.
>>
>>333349470
But at the same time that's just it.

When the i7 and i5 are priced differently, and the shit ports equate to no real performance difference, you end up making it pointless telling people to get i7s for anything besides actual work with media.

It's less that I want to "hold things back" as much as I'd rather a new PC user put the money towards useful parts. The 100-200 dollar difference will surely net him a better GPU. The i7 won't.
>>
File: 1457898366423.jpg (81 KB, 670x720) Image search: [Google]
1457898366423.jpg
81 KB, 670x720
>>333349470
>people who purchase consumer grade products are holding back development
let me rephrase that
>I know nothing about computer science and hardware development
>>
>>333349885
What does Maki's butt smell like?
>>
File: IWTFT.png (36 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
IWTFT.png
36 KB, 321x322
>>333350006
>>
>>333349070
Looking at an upper limit of $1500.

I mostly play Dota, some shooters, and some RPGs, but I play pretty much anything.

I would like to stream, but likely won't, so probably a non-factor there.

Already planned on getting am SSD.

Desk is good size, so no worries there.

Ideally, I would like both, but I think higher frame rate would be better for what I play most.

Probably headset.

I think? I'm not 100% sure. Gotta look into that some more.

More than likely going to be wired, since they're typically faster than wireless. Not sure how many buttons.

Not really too concerned with aesthetics, just performance.

Thanks for the help, anon. Those are some good criteria there.
>>
>>333350102
>i mostly play Dota
whatever fucking toaster you currently own will be fine then, but deffo waste money on a "headset"
>>
>>333350102
Logicalincrements.com .
>>
>>333350063
I MUST KNOW
>>
>>333349223
The thing is that even that if that were to happen soon it wouldn't affect me in the slightest, and my current PC wouldn't become obsolete either as I'd just use it for emulating/lurking.
>>
>>333350220
Unfortunately my toaster is seemingly on its last legs. I'd also like to able to play other things, but I'm kind of limited due to my potato-grade piece of shit electronic binder.
>>
File: good-pickings.png (140 KB, 1283x1134) Image search: [Google]
good-pickings.png
140 KB, 1283x1134
This should keep you going for the next 3 years or so
>>
File: 1351491545077.jpg (78 KB, 413x427) Image search: [Google]
1351491545077.jpg
78 KB, 413x427
So Pascal review was hyped to shit for Tesla but completely mum on consumer-grade cards.

Should I get a 970/390X to hold over until something that isn't 600$ arrives? Or just hold on to my 760 til then? 760 does a fair job but it struggles with the latest and I do hit the VRAM limits more often than I'd like.
>>
>>333350665
>Look mom I can sort for highest price!!!
>>
>>333350665
And the poptarts?
>>
>>333350465
why the fuck spend 1500 on your pc if you're not going to play any games that require that performance then?

just get a midgrade GPU and CPU and play every game you'll likely play at 60 fps.

although if you want to emulate GC and PS2 shit get a decent CPU

I fucking regret spending 500 bucks on a GPU when I mostly play space station 13 and mount & blade
>>
File: 1459718925499.png (23 KB, 218x316) Image search: [Google]
1459718925499.png
23 KB, 218x316
>>333350665
>24 64GB RAM sticks
holy shit
>>
>>333350940
Like I said: I'd like to play other things, but I'm pretty limited in what I'm able to do. I'm using an HP Envy Mk. 6 right now, and it's pretty shite. I'd like to be able to play great games and not be limited again by my hardware when new games come out. And also, that $1500 was the absolute maximum I'd be willing to pay. I really don't want to go over $1000.
>>
>>333349885
>people who purchase consumer grade products are holding back development
There are less expensive consumer grade products that don't top out at 4 threads.

There is also now a graphics API developers should be using as it will allow them to deliver the same level of experience to all users. If you aren't developing your game with Vulkan+SDL for GCN hardware and planning for CPUs that support at least 6 threads then your'e doing it wrong.
>>
>>333350102
No problem, we've all had to start somewhere.
That's a good amount, if you play your cards right you'll have a system that'll hold up for hopefully more than half a decade.
Just keep these things in mind when picking out components.
>Do not cheap out on a power supply.
Definitely get something that fits your build and maybe enough voltage to support another gpu just in case you decide to run SLI or crossfire. Get something modular, where all the cables are detachable, it'll keep your rig less cluttered.
>Don't cheap out on RAM.
Shouldn't be a problem if you're reading reviews.
>Read negative and positive reviews for products before buying them
This is pretty straightforward, but you'll be surprised at how many people complain about a product that user reviews have warned others about.
>Don't forget your workstation.
You can have an incredible system, but if your workstation isn't comfy for you then you'll more than likely use your system less frequently.
>Educate yourself
While you're waiting for your parts to ship watch some videos on pc assembly, just get comfortable with the process because it puts a lot of people off.
>Buy an aftermarket cooler.
Decide between air or liquid, most beginners will go with air cooling but you have a bit of money to spend, so do some research if you're willing to break into it.
>Buy an aftermarket thermal compound.
>When applying thermal paste DO NOT SPREAD IT
Only apply a pea sized amount and place your cooler on top, spreading it around will produce bubbles.

Hope we can take a look at a part list from you soon anon!
>>
>>333351369
>I'd like to be able to play great games
well it's a good thing gaming is now a normie hobby and all of the high budget shit with good graphics are fucking terrible

really, I wouldn't spend 1500 dollars on your PC unless you want to run the newest Assassin's Creed game at 30fps.
>>
>>333350891
This build assumes that one would purchase poptarts at a lower cost in bulk-shipping-containers from another retailer
>>
>>333348458

It's funny how sonycucks like you try to shill his shitty little shitstation in a thread not asking about it

Go pay for another year of online cuck or make an obvious falseflag thread showing everyone how mad you are
>>
>>333350665
>2500 watt
What
>>
>>333348930
>I don't want to play Undertale
why not?
are you really letting a fanbase turn you off of a decent game?
>>
>old GPU shat the bed out of nowhere
>got a replacement
>Should probably just throw the old one away
>but seems like a waste after spending the cash on it

Am I being dumb
>>
>>333350006
poop

>>333351686
how else are you supposed to run the particle accelerator?
>>
>>333351778
I mean, I do want to, but not in the way the person I was responding to was implying.
>>
This $1000+ build meme needs to end. You can spend much less and still max out the majority of new and older titles at 1080p. Even used parts from older generations such as a 4690k will work perfectly fine for the next 5 years.

Don't spend more than you need just because it's new or the latest generation. Do research and look at various comparisons before you buy.
>>
>>333348224
Consoles have APU units consisting of 4 CPU cores and 8 GPU cores.
Or more specifically dual module CPU's each containing two cores each.

There underpowered versions of the same APU units they've been making for the past five years.
>>
>>333351379
This is an issue for most indie developers because most releases are a proof of concept rather than a fully realized and optimized game. AAAs on the other hand get big bucks for optimizing their game to work with specific GPUs, CPU usage in videogames is definitely needed but it's not as necessary.

I revived an old Optiplex system recently that's housing a core 2 duo. Popped in a GTX 750 discreet card and some additional RAM and it's running modern games quite nicely while using a chipset older than the nephew of mine I gave I to.

Most optimization for older hardware comes from enthusiasts and modders.
>>
>>333351846
If it doesn't work and the warranty has expired I'd say pop it open and take a look at it, sometimes you'll be able to diagnose an obvious problem even if you don't know much about hardware.
>>
>>333351974
Yeah because the majority of new PC games are indie trash maybe

If you want to play shit like GTAV at real "max" settings, you won't get it without breaking 1000. Granted you can probably stop around 1000 if you've got notifications out for deals.
>>
>>333351974
$800 on PC+$300 on a screen seem fine for me.
>>
>>333351974
you can buy a decent system for less than $500 if you purchase secondhand and components on sale, but brand new parts along with all the necessary peripherals will come up to about a grand.
>>
>>333350772

Graphic cards are not a fluctuating market. Even a 780 Ti is still MSRPing at 970 prices. That's insane price stability for a 3 year card.

Either go in hot or don't go at all. Pascal won't do shit to prices, in any price-defining way.
>>
>>333351846
hang it on your wall so you can show how nerdy you are
>>
>>333350665
>no poptarts

0/10 anon see me after class
>>
>>333345312
>need
>>
File: tt.gif (7 KB, 118x59) Image search: [Google]
tt.gif
7 KB, 118x59
>>333349070
This is really well said, I have a Blue Snowball and can confirm it's a great microphone for under a hundred freedom units
>>
>>333352385
>real "max" settings
Which is overkill.
You can play GTA V at 60fps and 1080p on ultra with a GTX 770.
>>
>>333346612
>you don't need an i7 for gaming

honestly you don't need any of this shit for gaming

we're all just here to throw money away
>>
>>333351846
Sell it on ebay.
>>
>>333353005
No you can't. You can do High but grass will kill most GPUs (including 770) because...well, Rockstar can't code? Beats me.
>>
File: 5.gif (9 KB, 132x91) Image search: [Google]
5.gif
9 KB, 132x91
>>333350665
Fucking Xeon
We have those in these overpriced Dell towers we use for one of our computer labs for agent based simulation.
They really don't run that faster than an i7 in graphically based simulations.

>source we play Arma 3 on them during breaks
>>
>>333352385
Even a 980 ti can't run gta 5 at fully maxed settings. Turning things like grass density to ultra eats frames for dinner. The thing is, you don't even have to. The game looks nice even at the high preset. Hell, it looks nice on the older xbox 360 even at low settings. Maxing games is also a meme in and of itself. Most games have very very little varience between medium and high or very high. Normally it's just shit like higher motion blur or godrays. All of these things aren't even necessary to have an enjoyable and immersive experience hence why you don't need to spend like 1000 big ones to play your games with some uber tier gpu.
>>
File: Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg (113 KB, 1000x624) Image search: [Google]
Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg
113 KB, 1000x624
>>333353313
>Maxing games is also a meme in and of itself.

>meme
>>
>>333353070
I just want my games to look nice man. I played Mad Max on my friend's PC the other day at max settings and I couldn't get over how much more satisfying it was than playing it on my PS4. I'm probably not going to be getting a PS4.5 for the reason that I won't be able to mess with framerate, which is disappointing.

I have seen the light and have been blinded by its awe.
>>
>>333353070
Yeah, you can play games with a Celeron and a GTX 750Ti too but nothing will run well.
>>
Will a 980 be enough for 4K if I don't plan to play anything more intensive than Diablo 3?
>>
>>333353204
Grass shadows are intensive as fuck, have always been, and will still be for a while.
>>
>>333353204
https://youtu.be/WQoMUutrGtQ
>I don't know how to use a search engine
>>
>>333353636
If you don't mind games running at ~30 to 40fps at best. You will have to buy a monitor that supports 4k, to which I would say just invest that money into a 980ti instead.
>>
>>333353719
>https://youtu.be/WQoMUutrGtQ
>i'm too retarded to see grass in this video
oh wait
>>
>>333353898
I'm getting a 4K monitor for my job anyway

I just need to know what GPU I'll need to play games at decent settings
>>
>>333354204
You'll be able to scrape by with a 980 for 4k then, it gets around 30 fps for most modern games at 4k. I would still recommend the 980ti for stability purposes
>>
>>333354520
I guess it's only like $120 extra. I'll think about it.
>>
File: 20160406-112253.png (560 KB, 1083x4506) Image search: [Google]
20160406-112253.png
560 KB, 1083x4506
How's my poorfag build look?
>>
>>333355136
do you really need all that storage
>>
>>333355136
Get a I5-6400.
Corsair 200r.
a 2TB HDD and a 240GB 850 EVO.
120GB is not enough, User folders in windows take a lot of space.
EVGA 500B for $37.

650 EVO is shit.
>>
>>333355136
>poorfag
>$915
if you have a budget do some searches for local sellers and ask /g/'s /sqt/ if x part is worth that price, because you can get something at a $1,000 quality for $500
>>
>>333355330
I don't think his SSD is for his OS
>>
>>333355612
What makes you think that?
If you get a SSD ofcourse its four your OS.
>>
>>333344927

If you knew anything about what's best for gaming you'd be buying a 4790k for starters...
>>
>>333355271
Yes, gonna be storing BDs.

>>333355330
Why is the 650 shit?

Also note this is Ausfailia currency. I can't get a cheaper power supply or case without buying absolutely trash tier components.
>>
>>333355876
Its not like its really shit, but you can get something way better for the same price.

Sandisk Ultra II, 850 EVO for a few bucks more, even a Sandisk SSD Plus is better, or ADATA SP550.
>>
File: 1459475666074.png (952 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459475666074.png
952 KB, 640x640
>>333355801
>beginners buying a k cpu
>>
>>333356123
Consider suicide.
>>
>>333355136
>pccasegear

there's a way to save 2% on any order if you're clever enough to figure it out
>>
And this is why you dont come to 4chan for advice

of course you shouldnt get an i5, get an i7

i7 is after i5 and thus better

>hrur durrr i5 is good enough too

yeah good enough, not good

get an i7

you can count dont you? you understand that bigger number = later and better
>>
>>333356449
Uh pay via bank deposit? Fuck that, debit card is way easier.
>>
>>333355801
Shut the fuck up about 4790k. Literally like fucking 2 games actually show more than fucking 3 fps between a 4690k and a 4790k and the 4790k is $100 more
>>
File: 1447682010967.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447682010967.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>333356517
Obvious b8
>>
File: 1459207014158.png (762 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1459207014158.png
762 KB, 600x600
When are those new video cards coming out?
>>
File: 1373249703831.jpg (158 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1373249703831.jpg
158 KB, 450x600
Remember to apply thermopaste correctly
>>
>>333344927

what for? everything on pc is available on console at the same graphics quality because of console parity. there's literally no reason to have a gaming pc unless you're gonna do 4k, and that's a couple thousand dollars that'll be out of date soon
>>
>>333356552
>i5 meme

I will never understand people who handicap themselves with half the instruction per clock.

Unless you're a caveman gaymer, that hyperthreading makes shitposting on 4chan so much easier. 30 tabs, rendering webms, creating OC on adobe and watching the mass happening on CNN and 3 other streams. There is not a better investment for a power user.
>>
>>333355136
>poorfag
>i3 6k series instead of a 3-4k model
>$60 case when you could use your current pc or buy one used for $10, or destitute: no case at all
>3tb hdd, the fuck you storin'?
>ssd included even though you're poor and would save $65 if you just didn't purchase it

you could knock off almost $150, maybe more if you get a used mobo+cpu

you're not actually poor, but you could definitely keep that build under $800
>>
What's the best household item to use as a substitute for thermal paste?
>>
>>333357026
toothpaste
>>
>>333355136
purchase a PSU that has a 5yr warranty. Find one with a 7 or 10 year warranty to be safe. Trust me, it's worth the extra dosh.
>>
>>333356976
Intel don't reduce the prices of their old chips, they just phase them out. You can sometimes find older chips at a small discount but that occurs at the retailer level.

When you also consider that DDR4 memory is cheaper than DDR3 now that it's in full production and DDR3 is on the way out, you'll find that choosing a Skylake setup is actually cheaper.
>>
>>333356895
I don't think you comprehend how computers work.
>>
>>333357026
A mixture of cum, shit, pimple puss and gooch lint.
>>
>>333356895
>original post specially mentions 'gaming'
>"if you knew anything about what's best for gaming.."
>gets told there's negligible differences between an i5 and and i7 in 99% of games
>resorts to damage control with "b-but it's good for watching 10 cuckold porn streams at a time"

Literally end yourself.
>>
File: haul.png (37 KB, 802x353) Image search: [Google]
haul.png
37 KB, 802x353
>>333352836
>>333350891

>my poptart meme is catching on

good

good
>>
>>333357383
>falling for such obvious bait

Don't make this mistake again my man.
>>
>>333357165
I didn't actually criticize the memory, but I understand what you're saying about upgradability.

still, that's not a poorfag build, that's a budget build if anything.

poorfag would be <$600
>>
>>333357026
3:1
toothpaste:vaseline
Should only be a temporary solution though, thermal paste is not that expensive.
>>
>>333357451
>yours
>catching on
r u nu? it's been a thing for over a year or two now
>>
Been out of the loop for a while.

can you unlock an i5 or i7 yet?
>>
>>333357509
>poorfags would be <$600

Not in Australia where that person is from. The AUD is shithouse.

900 AUD basically gets you a 500 USD build.
>>
>>333357643
>Unlock

You mean a non k?

>Skylake:Heatsink not required
>Intel giving anything away for free

Anon the k exists for a reason.
>>
>>333357643
In the case of the latest i5 6500, yes.
>>
>>333356529
no, that's not it

I mean save 2% on the bank deposit price
>>
>>333357769
but that image seems pretty in-line with current pricing, are you sure he's OP?
>>
>>333357591
Pretty sure it's older than that.
>>
>>333357828
it's a different poster, OP's budget was $1,000-$1,500
>>
>>333357828
PC Case Gear is an Australian site.
>>
>>333357827
I dunno, a voucher or something?

Why don't you just tell me you silly sausage?
>>
What is a good motherboard?
>>
OP here. So, I've gone and done a thing. Looked at a couple pieces, did a little comparison, and come up with this parts list. I already have a case in mind, and it wasn't listed here, so it's on my Amazon list. It's the Thermaltake Versa H22. I also haven't picked out a monitor yet, because I'm not 100% sure on resolutions and whatnot. I also have no idea about networking parts. I don't really use Wi-Fi, so that shouldn't really be a problem unless trying to connect to my other devices, right? Anyway, here's my parts list:

http://pcpartpicker. com/p/nXdGvK
>>
>>333358051
The cheapest one you can get that has the connectivity, slots and features you need.

Unless you're overclocking, in which case you also need to consider VRM quality which drives the cost right up.
>>
>>333357828
No. >>333358108 is OP.

Source: I'm OP.
>>
>>333358051
Any msi mobo
>>
>>333358051
One that isn't riddled with stupid shit like bluetooth and as a result isn't expensive.
>>
>>333358051
anything that works
>>
>>333358051
I prefer asus (Have a Z97 deluxe that's fuckin bulletproof) but gigabyte makes some solid stuff.

What's everyone's opinion on asrock motherboards?
>>
File: images.jpg (23 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
23 KB, 384x384
>mfw PCucks will never, EVER get FFXV
>>
>>333357810
Ah, nice

I've been looking to get into tweaking settings and stuff.

Never needed to before.
>>
>>333357383
>>333357232

I will never understand gaymers.

Literally cavemen banging on rocks. You don't deserve to own computers.
>>
>>333358663
>posts on /v/
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
>>333346612
>buying a 980ti when pascal is right around the corner
>>
>>333358663
>video game board
>w-why are all these gaymers talking so much
>>
>>333351412
What do you think of this?
>>333358108
>>
>>333358108

Go to Microcenter. We sell the i5 for $219 and the superior Asus Z170-AR for $134.

Also, get rid of that dumb Noctua meme. The Hyper 212 is just as good and half the price.
>>
>>333358975
>>333358714
>oooga booga
>me gaymer

I'm surprised you guys even know how to use a keyboard.
>>
>>333358108
>Thermaltake Versa H22
An ok case, the cable management isn't all that great, keep looking OP.
>i5-6600k with MSI Z170A
Make sure you look at an overclocking guide at some point to fully utilize both your processor and motherboard.
>Poo fans (noctua)
It's a good air cooler, a bit expensive and an eyesore. I would suggest getting a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo for light overclocking and a better price point.
>Corsair 16GB dual channel
Solid.
>Samsung 850 evo 250GB
Nice.
>Seagate 2TB
An unreliable drive, I'd suggest putting your OS on your SSD and backing up anything important that you have on your HDD if you decide to go with this.
>GTX 970
Great, you can always buy a second for SLI with the motherboard you have now if you decide you need more horsepower in the future.
>PSU
Good, it'll support a second 970 if you decide to add one later on.
>Keyboard and mouse combo from Cooler Master
Cooler Master peripherals are garbage, they're cheap and affordable but they don't last very long. Keep looking.

It's looking pretty good so far OP, keep at it!
>>
>>333359352
But this is /ck/

What do you mean gaymer?
>>
>>333359471
>Noctua
>eyesore

Absolutely shit taste in design.

Go back to your edgy black gamershit or "le trendy" all-black minimalist hipster Corsair garbage.
>>
>>333359145
Updated. http://pcpartpicker. com/p/WrhvLk
>>
>>333359471
>Noctua
>poo fan

I'd pay more for it just because it doesn't go up to 36 decibels like your jet engine.
>>
File: 4.jpg (397 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
397 KB, 1500x1000
>>333359597
It's an eyesore with all of the other components he has picked. If there were more beige parts to choose from then why not.

I actually like white (not my bst)
>>
File: NoctuaD15lg24.jpg (289 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
NoctuaD15lg24.jpg
289 KB, 1280x960
>>333359597

Noctua is more than ugly. It's impractical in its own universe.

Dumb, bulky, ugly and expensive. And all you get in return...3 measly Celsius +/-.
>>
>>333359471
See >>333359686
As far as the HDD goes: I was planning to put the OS on the SSD, and use the HDD for everything else. Not sure if I should put games and such on the SSD as well. If so, I could probably drop the HDD to a 1TB or something.
>>
>>333359762
OP wants to use headphones, literally not an issue here.
>>
>>333359783
That image is literally every oversized CPU cooler. I'm debating using the Noctua D15 for my build because I can raise the front fan to leave room for my RAM heatsinks.
>>
>>333359783
Their fans are pretty stellar though. The sound profile is unmatched but they're still a hard sell at that ridiculous price.
>>
>>333359686

yea, that's good. Also, the motherboard is $139. Pcpartpicker ignores our motherboard bundle discount.
>>
>>333359767
>>333359783
I have a 212 but this must be bait. Noctua coolers compete with water coolers. They're very efficient.

https://youtu.be/GuV-TaR8L3o
>>
>>333359767
Fuck me, that's clean. I'd like to have a scheme and shit, but for now, I just want something that works and doesn't sound like it's going to explode at any second.
>>
>>333359948
I have a 212 and it's been fine for light overclocking, it depends on your CPU and ambient temperatures though. I'm at about 10°C in my room so
>>
>>333359948
Agreed

Anyone who buys an AIO memecooler over a Noctua D14/D15 is a meme
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-06-07-08-48.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-06-07-08-48.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
>>333359352
Lol
>>
>>333359948
>Noctua coolers compete with water coolers.

So does the Hyper 212, with a lot less bulk.
>>
>>333360214
>actually thinking this

Show me a benchmark where the 212 competes with a D14
>>
>>333357591
5 years if not more.

>>333358849
Prices wont drop, and there will be a minimal performance upgrade.
The cards will use less energy, thats it, nothing interestnig.

The pascal meme hype died when they announced they wont be using HBM2.
>>
>>333359783
1. that HSF is sideways.
2. thats a fucking MSI PC Mate, why put a HSF that big on it?
>>
File: inst3_sm.jpg (222 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
inst3_sm.jpg
222 KB, 550x413
>>333360150
>Anyone who buys an AIO memecooler over a Noctua D14/D15 is a meme

It's a meme if you're poor.

But a pleasure if you have the extra money. Having unlimited ram clearance is a thing of beauty.
>>
What are the most reliable hard drives?
>>
>>333360214
>>333360257
To be fair any cooler including and above the price of a 212 can compete with any expensive cooler. You'll just end up having the cooler fan running at like a billion fucking rpm and very loud compared to a water cooler or noctua which could do the same but will be much much more quiet.
>>
File: 372x700px-LL-66443b63_noise.jpg (121 KB, 372x699) Image search: [Google]
372x700px-LL-66443b63_noise.jpg
121 KB, 372x699
>>333360257

Literally every benchmark has the 212 approximately 3-5 C behind the Noctua. And only 4 DBA apart.

We're talking millimeters here. The 212 is also great at overclocking.
>>
>>333360414
Well, why not just buy RAM with smaller heatsink? corsair makes pants on head retarded RAM.

Example, HyperX RAM is really small.

>>333360438
HGST and WD.
Then toshiba.
Then seagate.

With 3TB+ HDDs is pretty much random, doesn't matter who makes them they will fail eventually.
>>
>>333360414
AIO coolers are literally worse than the top-end Noctua coolers. You're getting memed on if you unironically buy an AIO water cooler. You're basically falling for the "le water" hype that retarded gamers fall for.

The only water cooling worth doing is real, custom loop water cooling.
>>
>>333360546
Why are 3TB+ drives less reliable?
>>
>>333360641
More moving parts in a smaller space.
>>
>>333360641
3 or more platters and heads moving at same time, way more moving parts, etc.
>>
>>333360676
Should I just get 2TB HGST drives then?

Will 3/4/6/8TB drives die quickly?
>>
>>333360718
2gb and 4gb drives are pretty reliable

There's something about how 3tb drives are built that makes them fail more often
>>
>>333345312
we're getting really close to the point we need i7s for gaming. Now with VR here that point is ever more pronounced
>>
>>333360718
They wont die quickly, but they will die faster than 2TB ones.

1TB is the sweet spot for reliability.
2TB just werks.
4TB will work just fine too but get a good quality one.

Its 3TB ones that fail a lot for a weird reason.
>>
>>333360718
>>333360794
4TB is way more than anyone needs right now. With your budget, I'd just get a 2TB drive and if you need to upgrade, buy a second one in the future.
>>
>>333360809
source?
>>
If they were to cost the same, would you buy a 212 or a Raijintek equivalent?
>>
File: Specs.png (41 KB, 750x521) Image search: [Google]
Specs.png
41 KB, 750x521
>>333360879
>4TB is way more than anyone needs right now
You take that back
>>
>>333360841
>>333360718
And with die faster i mean years, expect it to reach 20k hours till you start noticing problems.

>>333360918
212 EVO.
>>
>>333360918
Not familiar with Raijnintek or whatever

212 is a good old standby
>>
>>333360438
Hitachi/HGST > WD black/blue >shit
>>
>>333360540
Fuck 212 Evos, if you're going for an i7 then you should get a fancy special snowflake cooler to go with it.
>>
>>333360905
Game system requirements for one. Plus I know with high requirement games like the Witcher 3 makes my i5 3570k clocked at 4Ghz ride about 90% CPU usage across all cores. I like to multitask.
>>
>>333360978
>>333360841
>>333360794
Shieeet, thanks for the heads up lads

I was about to pull the trigger on a 3TB drive too

I'll just shell out the big bucks for a 4TB HGST drive instead
>>
>>333360978
>>333361024
Okay, but which would you buy if the 212 costs 10 bucks more than the Raijintek?
>>
>>333360559

The Hyper 212 is also head-to-head with AIO coolers as well.

Like I said, if you poor, air-cooling is a better value proposition. But if you can spend more, AIOs take up less space on the main PCB. They offer a LITTLE better cooling; the h100i is slightly better than the D14. The builds are also just more aesthetic.
>>
>>333361175
Just get a 212. If $10 is a big deal then you can't afford it anyways
>>
>>333361175
212 EVO, meanwhile its under $40.

If its over $40 i would search for a Cryorig H5.
>>
>>333361205
The D15 exists now.

AIO is a meme, now and forever.
>>
>>333360953
>mechanical HDDs

end yourself now.
>>
>>333361297
no bullying!
>>
>>333361297
For storage? I ain't dumping money into ssds where speed isn't necessary
>>
Don't ask /v/ for advice, they'll tell you to get a shitty 5 year old AMD card and a pentium 2 that they claim can run witcher 3 maxed out at 600 fps
>>
>>333361205
It goes head to head with 120mm radiator AIO. While the higher end coolers, especially the Noctua ones are very effective, the most effective coolers are still going to be your 240s and larger.
>>
File: 1432596449342.jpg (5 KB, 158x152) Image search: [Google]
1432596449342.jpg
5 KB, 158x152
>>333361297
>he fell for the ssd meme

Enjoy paying $500 for 1tb of storage and 10 second faster boot times
>>
>>333361297
Yeah, because i want to load my 400MB oriental projected stories in under a second and pay 5 times more what it would cost me with a normal HDD.
>>
>>333361487
Nothing wrong with an ssd for a boot drive, but for storage yeah not good value
>>
File: inconvenient truth.png (191 KB, 445x472) Image search: [Google]
inconvenient truth.png
191 KB, 445x472
>>333361297

I can't wait until the SSD meme dies.
>>
>>333361487
>>333361572

Fucking hell, I can cut fucking 30 seconds off load times on some games, SSD's are great.

Just don't give fucking tech advice, you retards clearly don't know anything
>>
>>333361690
>load times in games

They're talking about storage, retard. Games go on the SSD with the OS and that's all that should be on there.
>>
>>333361690
Dont reply to bait, this is just a old /g/ shitposting meme.

Like the uBlock origin doesnt block ads one.
>>
>>333361212
I'm extremely stingy and I'd rather spend those 10 bucks in games.

>>333361231
>Cryorig H5.
That's even more expensive/overpriced than the 212, fucking amazon.
>>
>>333361850
It is supposed to be expensive, NH-U12S is supposed to be the next quality HSF.
212 EVO is popular because its cheap and is really good and quiet.
>>
File: 1432826995606.jpg (35 KB, 400x504) Image search: [Google]
1432826995606.jpg
35 KB, 400x504
>>333361690
You can cut 30 seconds of those 3 games you barely managed to fit on your 100 gb, $130 ssd. Congrats.
>>
>>333361850
It's more expensive because it's a larger cooler.
>>
>>333361850
>I'm extremely stingy and I'd rather spend those 10 bucks in games
So buy a game with it and don't bother
>>
>>333361906
>212 EVO is popular because its cheap
Yeah, too bad that amazon adjusts prices on demand, which kind of negates the cheap aspect of it.
>>
>>333362026
Newegg?

Anyway how expensive is it there? it shouldnt be more than $27.
Here in mexico its $32.
>>
File: SSD.jpg (142 KB, 855x498) Image search: [Google]
SSD.jpg
142 KB, 855x498
>>333361487
They aren't that expensive and the main improvement is the reduced noise.
It destroys all immersion for me if I'm able to hear my PC while playing vidya or watching chinese cartoons.
>>
>>333362186
What he is saying is that SSDs are expensive for storage.

They have great perfomance, yeah, but too expensive to just store stuff on them.
>>
Google "logical increments" and work from there. Basically, you just have to make sure that your motherboard is compatible with your chosen CPU and RAM, and that your PSU has a high enough rating.

It builds itself for the most part; Intel's "a socket a year keeps the goyim in fear" mantra should make sure that you don't have too much trouble with CPU compatibility. The concern at the moment is that we're currently shifting from DDR3 to DDR4 ram, so make sure you select the right time at a clock speed that the motherboard supports.

Other than that, you're pretty much set. Just make sure your hardware will actually fit into your case. There's really no way to fuck up in choosing storage, input devices and displays.
>>
>>333362186
Case fans are louder than hard drives
>>
>>333358489
final fantasy is mainly trash anyway, and they've gotten far worse recently
>>
>>333362182
>Newegg?
Nope, EU.

>how expensive is it there
38€, I wish I was joking.
>>
>>333362392
Which part of EU?
Spain? Ireland?
>>
>>333362186
Your hdd is massively failing if you can hear it over your fans
>>
File: Nofan.jpg (43 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
Nofan.jpg
43 KB, 310x310
>>333362310
>Actually putting moving parts in your PC
>>
>>333362424
It doesn't matter, the price is about the same on every EU amazon store. And I'd rather not buy it from other stores that aren't amazon because of shitty warranty policies.
>>
>>333362310
>>333362448
Protip: Don't buy <$10 fans.
>>
>>333362778
Case fans are louder than hard drives
>>
>>333362778
Cooler master fans are quite good and they are $9.
>>
>>333362461
Are you retarded? Matter moves regardless on the micro-physical level. It's impossible to make a computer without physical parts.
>>
>>333362461
>being so stupid to think that passive works for high intensity usage
>>
>>333362778
Don't the Apache fans cost less than that and perform almost as well as Noctuas?
>>
>>333362936
It does work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slEoUmqzscw
>>
>>333356645
we get it
>>
>>333356645
Looks like a real Fermi.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.