[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are games so fucking big nowadays?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: wnogb.jpg (61 KB, 631x331) Image search: [Google]
wnogb.jpg
61 KB, 631x331
It seems like every game this generation is trying to push 20GB+ when the amount of content in games doesn't seem much different from what we had last gen.

What was wrong with compressing games to save space? I've got not problems with storage since hard drives are dirt cheap but still, it seems unnecessary and wasteful to use this much space for games which don't need it.
>>
>>333329961
blu ray discs
>>
File: Clitson.png (93 KB, 854x850) Image search: [Google]
Clitson.png
93 KB, 854x850
Because big file size means bigger game means people talk about it. Wolfenstein's filesize was talked about for a couple days on here.

Also games are big because of MEGATEXTURES (in id's case) or multiple languages in RPGs. Usually repacks take out all the languages besides English and Russian and compress the files so it takes less time to download but more effort on your computer's part to unpack them. I'm kind of surprised more game devs don't go along that route.
>>
>>333329961
I suppose it's because everyone is trying to go for better graphics and that takes up a lot of memory.
>>
>>333329961
>it seems unnecessary and wasteful to use this much space for games which don't need it

>literally how big they actually are
>it seems a waste to take up the space they actually do
>>
>>333330195
stop speaking about pirating like a faggot. not everyone is you
>>
>RAGE and Wolfenstein were both powered by MEGATEXTURES
>RAGE had an open world and an MP mode and yet Wolfenstein was twice as big, size wise
>>
its the fucking cinematics
>>
MEGA TEXTURES

I think something like 30gb of the install for TNO is mega textures.
>>
>>333330652
Whether piracy is right or wrong is completely irrelevant to my point, which is that devs could shrink their file size if they wanted to, they just don't for marketing reasons.
>>
>>333329961

You're retarded. Probably underage too. Fuck off and kill yourself.
>>
No one compresses since storage is relatively cheap now. IMO it's laziness.
>>
Maybe if you had any clue as to how much more technically advanced games are compared to a decade or two ago you would understand. You probably also have no idea how much investment and risk a company takes in making a triple A video game either. Such ignorance.
>>
consoles are too shit to decompress games so they don't bother to tighten down the hatches any

pirates can smash the size down by half, and they're not even using professional tools. they're just like winzipping that shit up and suddenly a 40 gig game is 20 gigs

in a perfect world developers would stop being such lazy fucks and make language packs something separate so you could pick and choose which language pack you desire and save yourself 15 gigs of worthless fucking FLAC audio in foreignspeek
>>
No compression.
Devs are lazy, and many of those that aren't will push things like graphics or audio long before anything else.
>>
Optimization and compression went out the window.
>>
>>333329961
Some retards in the game industry decide that minority and foreigner shitfucks deserved to have cutscenes re-recorded in their languages and that everyone should be forced to download all versions.
>>
>>333329961
It definitely discourages me from playing new games. I would have to trash 50 JAVs to download a game that size. Do you know how fucking hard it is to delete even one?
>>
File: 1426205956654.png (318 KB, 449x336) Image search: [Google]
1426205956654.png
318 KB, 449x336
>GTA5 Last gen: 20GB
>GTA5 Current gen: 60GB
>>
>classic world of warcraft is less than 6 gigs
>ps1 rpg's were anywhere from 1-5~ gigs depending on amount of disc
>snes games are around 2-4mb's
>>
>>333332940
Classic WoW may have been that small but by Wrath 3.3.2 it was already up to 26GB.
>>
>>333329961
uncompressed audio + steam versions shipping with all the languages

either uncompressed textures because the devs can't handle making a an engine that uncompresses on the fly or the game just ships with massive filesize textures because idiot devs can't into filesize management (like when you have a 10mb png that looks the same as a 750 kb jpeg)
>>
>>333333210
my 3.3.5 installiation with addons and years of screenshots is only at 16 anon

Thats still almost 3x increase but still under 20
>>
>>333330759
Rage looked like ass because of that too.
MEGATEXTURES games required several hundreds gb to get decent quality.
And we get a downscaled version with shitty graphics because no one wants to download 500gb+ for a single game
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.