[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why The Current Gen Has Been So Disappointing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: vaas2.jpg (389 KB, 800x497) Image search: [Google]
vaas2.jpg
389 KB, 800x497
Straight up re-releases aside, every game I've played this generation has been slightly prettier versions of exactly the same games I played last generation but worse.

Arkham Knight = Arkham City but bloated
DOAX3 = DOAX2 with stripped down features
Farcry 4 = Farcry 3 with shittier writing & eagles
Just Cause 3 = Just Cause 2 but emptier & choppier

Frankly I'm starting to regret my purchase.
>>
>>333324627
Welcome to my thoughts about last generation.

I've just moved over to Steam, where at least the games are cheaper and I can play those 10-year-old ones without buying an entire new system.
>>
I agree, almost no noteworthy games, let alone anything fun. I've been spending my time working on my backlog instead,
>>
>>333326880
agreed, my ps2 backlog will keep me going for 20 years alone.
>>
>>333324627
You're ignoring that Arkham Knight us better than Asylum and Origins. It's not easy making a game as good as City. And DOAX3 us far better than 2 despite being made with a fraction of the budget. Far Cry is annual rehash now, and Just Cause devs were still lit between JC3 and Mad Max, hence them both being mediocre.
>>
>>333327262
It's not better though. Everything that's good about Knight is what was good about City and everything else is just extraneous padding that doesn't add anything.

DOAX3 is a volleyball/minigame compliation without multiplayeer, that's a big fail in comparison to its predecessors.
>>
This gen is kinda meh overall. So far the only thing that really stood out for me was the Witcher. I'm mostly waiting for Japanese games to come out and drop in price. Western games don't entertain me that much anymore unlike last gen.

As much as I hate the company, at least Nintendo makes okay games. But that's probably because I never really played their games before now outside of Mario and Pokemon.
>>
>>333328814
I have reservations about Nintendo as well. I loved the DS, it had such varied and creative gameplay experiences but the 3DS seems to be all JRPGs and the usual Nintendo pap.
>>
>>333328814
I'll be honest, my Wii U is disappointing. Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 were great, but a lot of games have been "fine, nice with the system, but not outstanding". Yoshi's Woolly World was fun but fairly easy. Mario Kart 8 was more of the same. Hyrule Warriors was a welcome distraction, but just a well done Musou.

I haven't played Xenoblade yet and am considering picking up Mario vs DK, but there isn't exactly too much that I'm hoping for.
>>
>>333329168
>Xenoblade
I didn't like that. I played XC before it and I think it ruined it for me rather than help me enjoy it. It's such a step down in almost every way.
>>
>>333328736
Xtreme 2 was ugly as fuck and full of performance issues and bugs. Xtreme 3 is much better, even without the multiplayer and garbage modes like jet skiing.

Arkham Knight has better combat, better predator sections, more enemy variety, the best Riddler side quest, and the Batmobile, which is great every time it's used for something other than a tank battle. City is still a better game overall, but Knight makes tons of improvements and brings plenty new to the table.
>>
>>333329340
I liked the world on two giant dead robots setting of XC but that aside vastly preferred The Last Story and um.. that operation Rainfall game where you have to keep giving your girlfriend monster meaty, who's name escapes me but was actually pretty good.
>>
>>333329545
>graphics are what makes games fun
you are literally everything wrong with video games today
>>
>>333329340
X is far better than Xenoblade Chronicles from a gameplay perspective. The only thing the original has over X is story, and neither game had a good one anyway.
>>
>>333324627
>Why The Current Gen Has Been So Disappointing

to you. maybe you shouldnt act as if how you feel is the truth
>>
>>333329641
Pandora's Tower? Never played it, but I heard about it.

I loved XC. Legit one of my favorite games recently. Played it just a few months ago in anticipation for XCX. That's what I meant when I said it was a step down.

>>333329810
The music wasn't as good. I liked the setting better in XC. Both games have similar combat. XC just managed to hold my attention better so I finished it. I got my skell a month ago in XCX and then I just dropped it. No desire to play any more.
>>
I have only enjoyed the Wii U this gen, Bayo 2 and W101 are probably the best games this gen and Splatoon and Mario Maker along with the usual Nintendo stuff have been solid.
My PS4 and PC have rarely been touched, western AAA and JRPG's have gone down in quality so much that these platforms have been near useless too me. Overall I agree that its been a pretty shitty gen.
>>
>>333329810
This. Xbc was a topple simulator X is a break the game of your own accord simulator in gameplay. Story and character are much better in xbc but x had the edge in its exploration and gameplay.
Xbc had several composers while x had sawanos hit or miss soundtrack.
>>
>>333329750
That's not what I said at all you stupid fuck. Xtreme 2 added tons of shitty modes like the awful jet skiing and was riddled with glitches and performance issues. Although yes, the graphics are kind of important in a game largely about ogling the character models.
Xtreme 3 cut the bullshit modes, cleaned up the glitches, got the game to run silky smooth and have fast load times, and added in the improved DOA5 models and new physics engine. Xtreme 3 is the best in the series.
>>
>>333330290
I believe that's exactly what you said...
>Xtreme 2 was ugly as fuck
>Xtreme 3 is much better, even without the multiplayer
>game largely about ogling the character models
>improved DOA5 models and new physics engine
> Xtreme 3 is the best
>>
>>333324627

>FC3
>better writing than ANYTHING

big ol' fuckin kek

Your'e right about JC3 though
>>
>>333330016
>Pandora's Tower
Yeah that's the one, I'd recommend it. It has a kind of Ico meets Rygar kind of feel.
>>
>>333331223
Xtreme 3 is best mainly because it actually runs well and isn't a glitchy mess. The graphics and physics engine certainly help but the fact that it actually plays well, unlike 2, is what makes it the better game.
>>
>>333330214
Im skeptical over XBX after trying to play XC, i dropped it twice because of how boring the combat was and I couldn't care less for its shounen like story/characters.
Its a shame because its soundtrack and setting are amazing. However flying a mech in a gorgeous open world sounds really appealing to me but if the combat is the same boring shit that was in XC i probably wouldn't like it.
>>
>>333331493
It's better than FC4 where the main character doesn't join with island rebels to save his friends or anything, he does it just "because".
>>
File: carlos.jpg (19 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
19 KB, 500x367
>>333324627
I thought that stripped down features were the point of DOAX?
>>
>>333329641
>>333330016
>>333331523
Pandora's Tower is excellent. Easily my favorite of the Operation Rainfall games. Last Story is good too but it's pretty damn short. Xenoblade was okay IMO but the weakest of the three. X took the Xenoblade gameplay and improved pretty much everything, but took away the hand-holding and narrative focus of the original.
>>
>>333331681
>I don't have friends stop insuldting my new favourite gamefu abloobloobloo

Personally, I'd rather play Super Spike V'Ball on NES with friends than something with even the most impressive tankini physics by myself. but then I'm not a shut in.
>>
>>333331773

Better than Far Cry "better get a gay ass tribal tattoo because le kooky insanity man stole my bitchy prima donna cheerleader girlfriend who nobody gives a fuck about while I smoke weed to Skrillex singles" 3
>>
>>333332151
It's framing device for the upgradable skill tree you fucking ignorant vanilla face. And FC4 didn't bother with anything comparable because Ubisoft was too anxious to squeeze it out of its stink tube and onto store shelves.
>>
>>333331735
Combat is very similar, though you're given a lot more customization options and everyone has both a ranged and melee weapon now. The story is more generic sci-fi and has an interesting couple of twists but is ultimately less developed than the original's and it isn't focused on nearly as much. The game has a much bigger emphasis on exploration and completing a multitude of side quests (many of which small give lore details, though some don't and are just fluff). You only get your mecha like 30 hours into the game, and you can't fly with it for another 10 or so. They act more like traditional JRPG airships that you happen to be able to battle with. First your on foot, then you get your mecha that can drive from place to place quickly and jump to higher areas, and then you get the ability to fly and everything is open to you.
>>
>>333332072
Nice strawman. If only you had an actual argument instead.
>>
>>333332708
Thanks
>>
>>333332708
what argument needs to be made that a sports game should have multiplayer? It's a proud tradition of sports games that goes all the way back to Pong. No wait it goes all the way back to Tennis for Two on oscilloscopes
>>
>>333324627
The price of games and heavy emphasis on graphics turns vidya into a business. It's not about originality anymore, it's about what's gonna turn a profit.

I work in the industry and writing is the last thing that is put into game most of the time, unless you're working at specific companies. As someone that isn't just doing it for a paycheck I fucking hate it and wish I had picked a different career path. I've seen people outright say "who cares? just put ___ in there to explain it" in regards to why a certain character does something specific.
>>
>>333333608
we should start a company. i am an ideas guy and would be perfect as the boss
>>
>>333332151
FC4 was shit specifically due to the characters and plot, your excuse for running around hunting and killing is that for NO reason whatsover you let two annoying as fuck characters boss you around even though you ought to be the boss of them with all the weight you pull. The 'interesting' character appears for like 15 minutes, and all side characters aren't interesting.

In FC3, even if you may not like it, having a frat fag starting out with rescuing his BROTHER and friends but slowly turning into a trippy madman due to killing people in order to save them and being high from all the drugs grown on the island and just the weird environment makes good sense. He loses his way as he rescues more and more of them. And the side characters are actually funny/interesting (buck for example)
>>
>>333333997
>perfect as the boss
of the fire level or sewer level?
>>
>>333333997
n-no thanks. You can be the janitor though
>>
>>333324627
that's a pretty small sample size
>>
>>333334841

Assassin's Creed = Every Assassin's Creed now with a grappling hook that renders gameplay elements redundant
Dark Souls III = Dark Soul II with framerate drops & repetitive enemy patterns
Dragon Age III = Dragon Age Origins with SJW panderings
Fallout 4 = Fallout 3 with tacked on bases and gimped dialogue options

I could go on but you get the point
>>
>>>333333333
>>
>>333335265
what about bloodborne?
>>
>>333339432
I've considered it but I've become so apathetic towards new games that it would have to knock my socks off.
>>
>>333337185
there was no get, it was skipped. i know because i had already linked the get immediately after missing it and it was already gone after a second
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.