[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Xenoblade_Chronicles_X_-_Boxart.jpg (139 KB, 322x400) Image search: [Google]
Xenoblade_Chronicles_X_-_Boxart.jpg
139 KB, 322x400
What went wrong?
>>
Localization.
Agendas based off very narrow metrics.
>>
the soundtrack. I'm convinced if it had a soundtrack as good as the first game it wouldn't have been nearly as divisive.
>>
Too damn big to fit into the Wii U
>>
Takes too long to get the mech, takes even longer to get a flying one.
>>
They made an offline MMO instead of a JRPG. Took too much influence from western games from the looks of it.
>>
>>333317452
Pretty much everything but the art direction (minus character models) and SOME early exploration. Everything else was super shit.
>>
>>333317452
The story could've been better, but I loved everything else.
>>
Nothing, its a good game.

Only bad things is the censorship shit but the game is still fun
>>
>>333317452
I wasn't terribly fond of a lot of the music, and the storyline was silly, but everything else was top notch.
>>
Characters were boring. Even someone as important as Elma was still more forgettable than literally any party member from XBC.

Story was half-assed and even the Chapters proper felt like a series of random moments instead of a cohesive plot. I didn't feel accomplished when I beat it.
>>
>>333317452
Too "realistic"
>>
>Offline MMO
>Too much meaningless content
>Not much to do in this massive world
>Only 5 environments
>Only 1 city
>Exploration was dumbed down
>Mechas ruin combat
>Flying ruins exploration
>Multiplayer aspect is lame, and detracts from the sense of survival
>Story is pure ass
>Building your own MC detracts from the exp by making them generic and silent
>Not enough Xeno partners
>Party members are basically useless
>Game is very grindy
>Story progression doesn't suit the game by being chapter based, you can run into lifehold units ahead of time, and they don't mean shit
>No lore to the game, a sort of scanner like in Metroid Prime for enemies and locations/landmarks really would have helped the exploration aspect
>Enemy diversity felt lower than in the previous game
>Quest diversity also wasn't too great, and the huge number of quests was overwhelming
>Sountrack was mostly shit aside from the Noctillum theme and a few others.

XCX is a classic case of a massive yet shallow pool. I quit at chapter 10. I spent my whole playtime waiting for the game to finally get good, only to realise 60 hours in that THAT was the whole game.
>>
>>333323027
The game honestly needs a complete restructuring from the ground up. It needs to drop the mecha sandbox, and get some focus, the focus being the exploration and survival. Make your entire purpose finding those lifeholds, and wrap the story around events you can trigger, rather than chapters. Also, add more civilizations, make the MC unique (or Elma), make Xenos recruitable, and make every party member special and worthwhile to give you customization in party build rather than gear and abilities.

Combat was great, make the mecha combat as good as on foot. Limit mechas a bit. Don't allow flight unless certain requirements per level are met like in FFXIV. Balance the mecha better through fuel, and prohibit their use in certain quests. Subdivide the 5 continents into various distinguishable regions. At least 15 per continent, each one at least as big as a level in the last XC, also make sure there are diverse civilizations among them. Add a scanner for EVR, and make it your primary tool for exploration and hunting the lifehold units. Make the scanner like in MP. Etc...

The changes would improve the game vastly, and that's just scratching the surface.
>>
>>333317452
WRPG open world with not enough to do.

>Falling for the FF12 meme twice
>>
>>333317648

Here we go again with the supporters of underage sexualization.
>>
>>333317452
People wanted a rehash the first game, instead Monolith made something very different. I hope the next game continues what X started, but double down on the story content. It would also help if Skell combat got a bigger focus next time. Oh and have more playable characters, each with their own personal overarching story quests.
>>
Tatsu.
He actually made me stop playing the game.
>>
>>333317648

The localization was fine. The issue was more that most people never even finished the game.
>>
>>333317452
Nothing, JRPG of the decade. Dat ending though... If only they could make an expansion with a new continent and a true ending.
>>
>>333317452
Stupid story, bland characters, silent protagonist and awful, boring character animation.
>>
>>333317452
Sound Director did a shit job, OST is really misused.
No audio options.
No dual audio.
The rest is subjective.
>>
Not much quit making this thread everyday
>>
File: comparison.png (864 KB, 652x657) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
864 KB, 652x657
>>333317452
actual flaws
>sound balancing in some of the cut scenes is embarrassingly bad. I should never have to struggle to hear what people are saying over the background music.
>tiny text, which is apparently the fault of the localization
>Mech combat is isnt nearly as developed as ground combat
>no option to quickly assemble a team, always have to go and scout them out individually when everyone and their mother has a communicator.
>NLA night time theme
>dialog between Lin and Tatsu is gets really stale really quick.
>ends on a cliffhanger

What they did right
>exploration is the name of the game and they hit it out of the park
>soundtrack varies from just ok to pretty damn good
>robot customization and walking around in one is great. A lot of people complain that they ruin exploration, but they are probably just refering to the first free main areas which are clearly intended to be largely done on foot. Once you hit the first bit of Sylvalum easy street comes to a quick end if you think Skells are a full on get out of jail free cards, and even more so in Caulderous
>loads of qustories, extra characters to get, bosses to fight. World building was clearly a big focus for this game.
>great robot, monster, and armor design at work

I hope they can learn from their mistakes and give us a story rich game like XC with the look and exploration of XCX for the next one.
>>
>>333317452
Battle system never got fun, qte button is the same as exit combat, speaking to allies is impossible because enemies don't miss no matter how far, 50hrs for a mecha that doesn't fucking fly, should of had arpg aspects akin to gears, scrolling through skills with cool downs is a glorified scrolling through menu atb based system
>>
Number one is definitely the soundtrack. it might be the worst video game soundtrack of the entire generation and probably this whole decade.

The gameplay feels like a step back from the first game. i thought the combat flowed much better in Xenoblade 1.

The censorship and localization horseshit the game went through is unacceptable.

And the story just isn't good, not nearly as involving or polished as the first game.
>>
>>333327678
>>NLA night time theme
I actually hate the daytime theme more.

The nighttime theme is at least pretty quiet and chill. the daytime theme has that pounding fucking snare drum and that obnoxious whore doing loud scatting. I can't stand going in the city during the daytime.
>>
>>333317452
Not much but not even a distant land we're stuck on a whole different planet no peace lookin' at the sky trouble's always all around so we stay quick with the guns and cannons standing as long as we can until we get all dolls up then call all bets off
we'll blow through your tar dealing with lives messed up.

On a sea of dark matter every minute matters living while other lives shatter seeing ghosts scatter as they pour out we can handle them it's the tar taking over that came unexpected hard to accept it getting marked for death seeing friends snatched and darkly possessed the tar inside stealing the body and breath till only a shell is left witness to hell in the flesh a fight to the death screaming where's the relief? Maybe no more sleep all swallowed in grief Images start to stalk like a beast I hear voices but no one talking to me...
>>
>>333327678
>no option to quickly assemble a team, always have to go and scout them out individually when everyone and their mother has a communicator.

god this was annoying as hell, especially if one of the characters you wanted to get happened to be on one of their heart-to-hearts
>>
File: 1432079616589.png (250 KB, 386x384) Image search: [Google]
1432079616589.png
250 KB, 386x384
Fucking terrible sound mixing.
What's that evil alien-tits? A plan huh, I can't hear over THIS FUCKING BANGING MUSIC
>>
>>333327678
Pretty much
>>
>>333324302
the first Xenoblade Chronicles was proof to me that you could actually make a good single player MMO
too bad both FFXII and Xenoblade X didn't make the cut.
>>
>>333317452
Elma our lord and savior was pretty obnoxious
>>
The online was so half-assed and pointless I don't even know why they bothered with it. All the missions are so easy that there's no reason to bother doing them. While the Nemesis bosses are fun, there's only fucking two of them. No idea why they were so adamant on having online when it was so bare bones. Next game needs to be completely single player unless they totally revamp it.
>>
>>333317452
Not a whole lot, the game is fantastic. The plot is barebones but X isn't about the narrative, it's about the smaller stories the player themself chooses to experience. It's not a game driven by its story like Xenogears, Saga and Blade were. You aren't any kind of chosen one, you're like every other human stranded on Mira, doing what you can to ensure humanity survives. You're a small part of a much bigger picture and while I didn't once actively use the online, it serves a purpose in punctuating that concept perfectly.

How much you learn about the characters and grow to like them depends on how much time you're willing to invest into completing their affinity quests. Once I picked out my favorite squad members and completed their quests I grew to care about them in a way rarely found in JRPGs, I wasn't being force fed information about characters I didn't like. I chose myself how much I learned about them and I spent time learning about them because I liked them.

The game has some issues for sure but it's far from bad and I appreciate the change in pace from Takahashi's past projects.
>>
>>333329091
Agreed.
>>
>sequel never
>>
I feel tempted to get this,but...
>>
>>333317452

Its just not fun to do anything in it. Boring combat, hollow exploration, uninteresting characters and plot, and lame sidequests. To top it off, the setting, music and voice acting are all worse than XC.
>>
nothing went wrong

XCX thread?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.