[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did it fail /v/? Will NX follow suit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: article_post_width_wiiu_4.jpg (60 KB, 618x464) Image search: [Google]
article_post_width_wiiu_4.jpg
60 KB, 618x464
Why did it fail /v/?

Will NX follow suit?
>>
>>333311168
>another thread about the Wii U's failure

The Wii U failed because

the games failed.

That's it.

Also the gamepad
>>
failure of being intelligent enough to think up a new concept instead throwing up chunks of what made the previous good and hacking on irrelevant things
>>
>>333311168
wow yet another thread about this subject
hmm.. let's see...
>PowerPC
>gamepad
>no one wanted to develop for it
>the games
>riding on wii bandwagon when it already crashed
i know there's more
>>
File: 1449102366140.png (380 KB, 1166x851) Image search: [Google]
1449102366140.png
380 KB, 1166x851
Calling it the Wii"U".
Marketing focusing on the tablet and basically jackshit anything else about the console.
Still presents itself too child friendly when its demographic is getting older and older.

I mean for fucks sake, was is it so hard to make a more different name than "Wii"? That's fucking insane that they thought they could try to rebrand a new console as a "Wii" so they could try to sell it mostly on the name recognition of the original "Wii". They're "Nintendo", their name is synonymous with soccer moms to define video games.
Nintendo doesn't fucking know how to market anything since the late 90s. They rely on some dedicated fans, mystical luck and namebrand power.

Fucking get a new PR firm, faggots.
>>
>Failed
That's just ignorance which became a meme and propagated. The Wii U is still the only console with any sort of library worth owning.
>>
The console as a whole was a gimmick that made third party's developers lives harder because they had to make certain changes to work around it, but most would rather just not bother with it at all.

The same thing happened to the Wii but still managed to succeed because Wii Sports saved it, solidifying as a family friendly console that even your grandma and grandpa could play.
>>
>>333311416
> because the games failed

what does that even mean?
>>
>>333314517
No third party while everything else either is shit or kiddy.
>>
>>333314410

Except it did fail, you moron.
>>
>>333314517
No actual mainline Nintendo games. Where our metroid? Our Starfox? Our Mario? Our Zelda? Anything? No where to be found while they fuck around with amiibo and hardware bullshit.
>>
>>333315556
Because of ignorance turned meme
>>
>>333314410
>I like the console, so that means it's doing well financially
In a perfect world a game franchise or company could survive because you like it.

But you don't live in a perfect world and the Wii U was a failure whether or not what you thought about it.
>>
They literally launched it with nsmb and nintendo land. It was like even nintendo couldn't be bothered from the start. I mean holy fucking shit. Half the games on nintendo land weren't even 2 player either. What fucking kind of launch title was that. If you're going to make a console at least launch it with something people give a shit about. Mario kart, 3d world, anything. The concept for the console was a bit of a confusing mess and it would have probably still finished 3rd place anyway but the launch titles handicapped it from the start
>>
it's like they weren't even trying with the wii u. ubisoft put me effort into the launch than nintendo did. pathetic
>>
Terrible terrible marketing, all the way down to the name of the console. I have no idea who thought WiiU was a good name for a console
>>
>>333311168
Horrible marketing that had it confused for a tablet addon to the Wii, lack of third-party support, sub-par specs, Nintendo, good games only came out late in its lifespan.
>>
>>333311416
and the NX is the exact same thing only stronger
>>
File: regginator.jpg (117 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
regginator.jpg
117 KB, 1920x1080
>>333311168
It failed because Nintendo is out of touch with its fanbase. Mind you, more out of touch than Microsoft or Sony. This is why they've come in last. Nintendo mistook the success of the Wii as something that would always happen. They got lucky with their gimmicks once and thought that's what everyone wanted. Instead, casuals and families that happened to buy into things once got bored and moved on. Nintendo has always had a core of loyal supporters and they were left with the same group of people that had always supported them in the past once the casual market hype died down. But ,Nintendo has increasingly forsaken them over the years and its finally coming back to bite them.

TLDR; Nintendo thinks like this and it has caused them to fail:

Question: Wow, that game was really successful and beloved by many! (ex. Paper Mario TTYD) What can we do to improve upon the next installment?

A. Make the next game similar to the first but expand upon popular aspects of the previous game and deliver an improved experience, e.g. what the gamers have SAID they want.

B. We should come up with something completely different! Our players would get bored if we released something too similar! More gimmicks! We KNOW what the gamers want and will decide for them!

And so they always go with choice B instead of A, and in most cases that's really stupid. This problem exists across the industry though, gaming companies are run by business people that don't have a clue about actual video games. Their passion is coming up with schemes to make cash fast, not making "that one great game" they've always dreamed of.
>>
>>333317376
This.
>>
>>333314472
Wii had strong third party support from shitty developers that would stoop to mobile games later. It was really easy to work with due to being last gen tech, and any company could come up with a waggle gimmick that sort of works and tack it on to a minigame compilation. The wiiu gamepad adds an extra layer of difficulty because it had to render hd games between the device and the tv screen.
>>
File: 1455746887637.jpg (424 KB, 1632x920) Image search: [Google]
1455746887637.jpg
424 KB, 1632x920
Why did the Wii U fail. I want it to do good because now I have a job and I could have easily bought one but it failed. So instead I bought a PS4 first because I learned my lesson from the Wii which is garbage. The fucking Nintendo 64 has a better game Library than the Wii U. What the fuck happened to Nintendo? Do they really think they can survive on their own? Everytime I look at the Wii U library it's just not enough to justify buying the console. While people bash the PS4 hit the library is expanding every day and you can pick all sorts of games from all sorts of genres.
>>
>>333317376
>bringing tired Paper Mario whining into this when it only relates to the 3DS, which is an example of nintendo hardware actually making a comeback after a bad first two years.
Don't fucking bring your thoughts on their software decisions into this, because their software sales as fine as always. The wiiu is Nintendo getting a hard lesson that they weren't prepared for the HD era. The 3DS could take the hit because the nintendo games and third party niche games people wanted eventually came out at a good pace. And it was feasible for it to get a price drop.
>>
File: 1412450728493.png (126 KB, 1342x854) Image search: [Google]
1412450728493.png
126 KB, 1342x854
Everyone here is gonna give you retarded reasons that have to do with what gamers want instead of what the actual business reasons are. Let me fill you in.

The PS1 outsold the N64. The PS2 outsold the Gamecube. The 360 outsold the PS3. Why? Because 1. they had cheaper technology and 2. they released first. That's the entire reason.

The Wii was designed from the ground up to appeal to very young kids and people in low income families who can't afford a 360 or PS3. The low cost and easy controls made it an instant hit in both of these demographics, and though the absolute craze it became was unexpected, it quickly got a gigantic library of cheap games and its appeal continued growing as it got cheaper and cheaper.

So Nintendo naturally planned to follow it up with the same thing, but did not realize that a few things had changed:
-Because of the massive popularity of things like Call of Duty with older kids, the 360 suddenly became the cheapass console of choice, already having an insanely huge library of cheap games. It continues to sell well to this day, even with the Bone and PS4 out.
-Mobile phones and tablets totally subplanted the very young kids demographic with literally infinite cheap shitty games and an even lower barrier to entry.

So the Wii U now cannot compete with the Xbox One and PS4 which are more powerful and appeal to adults, and cannot compete with the 360 which is cheaper and has more games, and cannot compete with phone/tablets which have far more uses, are everywhere and offer games for a fucking dollar.

The only people it can appeal to are Nintendo fans which are a small segment of the adult demographic.

Saying "it doesn't have third parties" is a useless statement, because third parties only go where the sales are. It's an after effect of the console failing.
>>
>>333311168
Shit marketing
Stupid gimmick
Expensive controller (retarded kids break them all the time)
No games
>>
>>333319891
Continuing on this:

It's possible the Wii U could have still managed to achieve success if it had Smash Bros. and Mario Kart at launch, ESPECIALLY if they had amiibo then too. Amiibo is gonna be the future of Nintendo, because it offers something that mobile doesn't have.

The 3DS also managed to save itself by pumping up its install base with Pokemon and Mario and offering a cheapass model with the 2DS.

The NX I think is going to ba a big success by having the option to purchase only the handheld part and buy the console part later, along with amiibo. I'm not sure how it's gonna work but if it actually can somehow downscale full console games to the handheld, or upscale handheld games to the console, it'll be huge.

I'm worried that a lot of people on forums are gonna have another shit fit when it doesn't have the graphics of a $1,000 PC, and then when the console sells well regardless we're gonna have another 5 years of people whining that Nintendo "has abandoned gamers" by not putting out an expensive niche product that won't sell.
>>
>>333319738
But anon, how can their software sell fine if the system required to play said software does not?
>>
>>333315667
Nobody can be this retarded
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.