[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people worship this game so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 46
File: zeldawindwaker.jpg (140 KB, 640x930) Image search: [Google]
zeldawindwaker.jpg
140 KB, 640x930
>>
First Zelda game.

Same for Ocarina of Time.
>>
I would ask the same about any Zelda game.
>>
>>333310268
I liked the aesthetic and charm. Sailing was fun and laid back and I enjoyed exploring all the small little islands.

It's my personal favorite. but by no means would I call it the best. It's definitely worse than MM and OoT but better than TP and ss at certain things. But Tp also does some things better than WW like dungeons.
At the end of the day. It's a game that I can play no matter what mood I'm in and just have a smile on my face as I play.

It's tied for Deus ex and RE4 for personal best game of all time.
>>
>>333310268

I never say this but the only thing I can come up with is nostalgia. Phantom Hourglass does everything better except combat and graphics but it mostly gets overlooked.
>>
>>333310625
Nobody worships Skyward Sword.

Except that one anon who defended literally every single aspect of the game, but he may or may not have been shitposting.
>>
Twilight Princess is the worst video game ever made.
>>
>>333310268
The only Zelda game I've properly played. I don't see any flaws.
>>
It's the most light-hearted and comfy zelda game.
>>
>>333310268
Nostalgia. Also, it's not cool to like Ocarina of Time anymore since some fatass said so on YouTube.
>>
>>333311721

Sailing was boring. Many of the islands were copy and pasted. The islands had nothing interesting on them. If you discovered treasure, it was one of three things, a heart piece, rupees or a map to a heart piece or rupees. Searching for the triforce pieces was blatant busywork/padding. The command melody shit in the dungeons got old and tedious really quick.

But that's just me.
>>
File: 1458252687798.jpg (63 KB, 325x509) Image search: [Google]
1458252687798.jpg
63 KB, 325x509
>Best dungeons
>Not too many dungeons, not too few
>Great Sea was full of stuff to find
>The music was top tier, even among other Zelda games
>Items were fantastic, a lot of them were very useful even outside of the dungeon you found them in, which can't be said for any other Zelda game other than ALttP and Zelda 1
>Best Ganondorf
>Tetra and the pirates
>The game had a sense of humor and wasn't edgy, which can't be said for the games directly before and after
>There's incentive to actually return to early areas often, like Windfall and Outset.
I was sad when no other game after Wind Waker managed to capture the ALttP charm like it did. ALttP is the best Zelda, and WW is the second best because it's so similar.

ALBW 4th best after Minish Cap
>>
Baby's first Zelda
>>
>>333310268
>This faggot doesn't like saying the open seas.

Fucking landlubbers.
>>
>>333312170
>since some fatass said so on YouTube
which fatass? be more specific on that
>>
>>333312912
>saying

Sailing. Jeez brain get your shit together.
>>
>>333311721

Understandable as you haven't played any other Zelda games. A game like Silent Hill Origins could be misunderstood as great if you never played one of the actually good Silent Hill games. That said, kinda surprised the Triforce quest didn't register as a pacing killer if nothing else.
>>
>>333312912
Open seas
Open seas
Open seas
Open seas
>>
>>333310268
It has the best art style
>>
>>333312769

> best dungeons

Hell no. It maybe beats MM in terms of 3D dungeons but that's it.

> The game had a sense of humor

MM and TP have a sense of humor, it's just not so cartoonishly expressed that even a severely autistic child couldn't miss it. And considering WW can basically be considered a post-apocalyptic world where almost everyone drowned centuries ago it's only a little less edgy than either game.
>>
>>333313305

No, that would be Majora's Mask or... anything else really.
>>
>>333313556
>Hell no. It maybe beats MM in terms of 3D dungeons but that's it.
Quality > quantity, you faggot.
>And considering WW can basically be considered a post-apocalyptic world where almost everyone drowned centuries ago it's only a little less edgy than either game.
That's part of the charm of the game. It's not currently going through an apocalypse, unlike OoT, MM, or TP.
>>
>>333313816

WW has neither quality nor quantity. TP and OoT absolutely smash it in both regards, and SS has much higher highs.
>>
>>333314030
>TP
>OoT
>Quality
Top jej. The only good OoT dungeon is the Shadow Temple. TP only has Arbiter's Grounds and Sky Sanctuary. WW has Earth Temple, Wind Temple, Dragon Roost, and Hyrule.

>inb4 he says he likes the atrocious Fire/Forest temples or Jabu Jabu's belly
>>
What hear people praise the most is the aesthetics, atmosphere, and feeling of sailing on the open sea.

It falls really short on the gameplay department though. It's just one of those games that attract style over substance type of people.
>>
>>333314351

Not him but what makes those better? I found having to stop and play the command melody every two minutes pretty obnoxious.
>>
>>333314503
But it's got some of the best gameplay of 3D Zeldas. The only ones that even come close are the ones directly after it.

>Better combat than MM and OoT
>Picking up enemy's weapons
>Items are extremely useful in battle, not just the bow
>Lots of attack methods, similar to TP, but can be accessed from the start (mostly)
What is it lacking in gameplay that the others have? Horseback riding?
>>
>>333314819
Tons of good dungeons require you to wait. That's like every adult dungeon in OoT after the Forest Temple. Especially the last 2 temples, especially the last one. Sky Sanctuary in TP was the same way.
>>
>>333314351

> shitting on, at a minimum, Forest Temple, Spirit Temple, Snowpeak Mansion, Goron Mines, and Temple of Time

I don't really know what to say.
>>
File: Ce5DoIDVIAIluGz.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2686) Image search: [Google]
Ce5DoIDVIAIluGz.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2686
>TPfags playing victims again
>>
Most charming and creative Zelda game that didn't get the recognition it deserved because people thought it was too childish. It took several mediocre games to come out before people realized how special it was.
>>
This game is for fucking faggots.

Everyone I've ever known who's liked it turned out to be a massive piece of shit, unsurprisingly.
>>
>>333314979
I forgot to mention Snowpeak Mansion as good, buy yeah

All of the other ones are shit. Especially the Forest and Spirit temples. They're the reason I never replay OoT. They were unbearable, even on OoT 3D.
>>
>>333310268
Nostalgia.
>>
>>333310268
because everything about it is really good besides the empty feeling you get when you realize it ran out of substantial dungeons.
>>
>>333310625
This.
Although I do recognize it for what it has done for adventure games, they are pretty boring.>>333313305
This too.
>>
>>333314979
Goron Mines was shit there's literally zero puzzles it's just one long corridor
>>
>>333315276
There's 6 dungeons. That's a good total. 3 less than the original LoZ and TP.

The 2 scrapped dungeons were later reused, and turned out to be some of the best dungeons in their respective games.
>>
>>333314872

>Magic powers from magic spells, magic masks and magic arrows versus a magic leaf.
>>
>>333315389
And it also suffered from Water Temple Syndrome.
>>
>>333314992
>soundtrack
I think there are great catchy and memorable works, but as far as listening outside the game goes, it doesn't necessarily live on the same level and recognition of a uematsu piece. Koji Kondo is a fine composer, although his talents are greater placed in the mario series.
>>
I actually like the dark setting in TP
It was actually spooky at times
>>
>>333313767
I disagree, you see i think MM had the best atmosphere and feeling to the story and all but the artstyle of the game is as if they picked oot thing and made it worse, because they just had one year to do it. WW, TP i think have better art style
>>
>>333315479
WW had more magic arrows than MM. Not to mention the masks were all useless until the game asked you to redo the puzzles they're needed for again, a la Stone Tower Temple. Seriously, 4 masks were useful. 4. And no, I don't count the Deku or Zora masks among those.
>>
>>333310268

It looks pretty and sounds nice.
>>
>>333310268
You can have fun with it. Do you remember fun, OP?
>>
>>333314872
>But it's got some of the best gameplay of 3D Zeldas
It really doesn't.

The dungeons are all piss easy, half assed, and there's way too little (and unlike Majora there isn't a lot of sidequests and a bustling town with people on a 3 day schedule to make up for it), the only addition to the combat is the shitty quicktime-esque A button shit, picking up enemy weapons is cool but really underwhelming and they don't take advantage of it, the items are mostly the same exact ones from OoT, barely anything new is introduced aside from the Deku Leaf. Sailing on the seas like I said, is great atmosphere, but when you actually get down to it, it takes too long, sea battles are clunky as FUCK, and it gets repetitive. The Great Sea needed more big islands instead of tiny patches of land everywhere. It feels like the most effort went into the look and feel of the game and not the gameplay aspects.
>>
>>333315130

Spirit's a bit hit or miss but Forest is just about universally beloved. What's wrong with it?

>>333315389

What Goron Mines lacked in puzzles I think it made up for with its creative magnetism gimmick. Structurally it's like a less annoying Snowhead Temple too.
>>
>>333315692
no it didn't it was the other way round MM had more magic arrows
>>
File: 1170253123449_0.jpg (21 KB, 288x328) Image search: [Google]
1170253123449_0.jpg
21 KB, 288x328
>>333310268
I have a better question why is it that this game the most colorful game I think they've ever made has a boring gold box art
>>
>>333312170
>>333312967
This, presumably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOC3vixnj_0
>>
File: 1458682526638.jpg (73 KB, 636x360) Image search: [Google]
1458682526638.jpg
73 KB, 636x360
>>333310268
Because it's better than Turdlight Princess in every way, shape, and form.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 250x343) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 250x343
>not liking frightening and stressful atmospheres

Neo /v/ might as well just say WW Is 'comfy' and move on.

Wind waker Is a good alternative,but It went to shit when they abused It,Toon link setups killed what made LoZ gothic at It's purest sense.
>>
>>333316860

> WW
> better dungeons and combat

Nope.
>>
>>333310268
Because it's a good game
>>
>>333316993
Wind Waker probably has the worst combat of all the 3D games. Everyone complains about Skyward Sword being Simon says, but at least it's not just QTEs out the ass.
>>
Combination of first Zelda + brighthappy being the opposite of brownbloom.
>>
>>333312967

Egoraptor, most likely.
>>
>>333317818

It only parallels the first Zelda on an illusory level. Yes, the Great Sea allows you to chart out a sea but in reality it boils down to the typical post-ALttP overworld sequenced out by atmospheric filler, and half of the places you visit aren't super interesting or possibly even properly accessible if you're gung-ho about exploring it to begin with. The only other real parallel to Zelda 1 is the Triforce quest since you're assembling 8 broken shards of the Triforce of Courage just like in that game. Problem is no one sane likes the Triforce quest.
>>
>>333319107
I meant it was many people's first Zelda.
>>
>>333319185

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>333317446
TP felt more braindead with its autoshield and helm splitter
>>
>>333310660
>Phantom Hourglass does everything better
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
It's repetitive and padded as fuck. I prefer grinding for xp in Zelda 2 or grinding for rupees in Zelda 1 over doing the mind numbing sailing and rupee farming and charting.
>>
>>333312769
Also, best final battle.
>>
>>333320117

PH isn't much worse than WW, if it's even worse at all. Yes, I'm aware of Temple of the Ocean King. I'll take that over the Triforce quest anyday.
>>
>>333310268
>Why do people love things I don't love
Gee OP, I dunno, maybe different people enjoy different things.
>>
>>333320117

It did.
>>
>>333320327

Like with many things pertaining to WW, only on an aesthetic level. The actual fight is movie game levels of scripted but holy fucking Christ is it breathtakingly gorgeous.
>>
>>333320497
You must be retarded then, if you think that one dungeon you have to go through 5 times with minimal changes is better than the triforce hunt.
Eveything else about PH is garbage too, from the controls to the half backed customization, the other shitty dungeons, the bosses, the boat combat etc.
The only good ideas in the game are the touch controls for boomerang and mines.
>>
File: the_wind_waker_full_sea_chart.jpg (772 KB, 1600x1773) Image search: [Google]
the_wind_waker_full_sea_chart.jpg
772 KB, 1600x1773
>>333310268
WW isn't my favorite Zelda, but despite the trashing it gets from shitposters on /v/ it actually is a pretty exploration-heavy game. There's a ton of different things to find in the overworld, probably more so than other 3D Zeldas, even though a lot of it isn't extremely useful:

>treasure charts
>deku sprouts
>hidden grottos
>submarines
>sunken ship platforms
>big octos
>blue chu chus
>great fairies

It also has the benefit of having the best hidden grottos in the series, with most of them actually containing a puzzle or two to solve as opposed to just one small room with a handful of enemies every single time.

Honestly? I enjoyed it.
>>
>>333321212

The only thing in mainline Zelda that isn't better than the Triforce quest is ST's sorry excuse of an overworld.
>>
Why does everyone hate the triforce quest again? I liked the fact that the game just throws you out there and says "okay, discover the map and find these pieces on your own or just fuck around I don't care"
>>
>>333321212

Things in PH that are less boring/shitty than WW include sailing, nautical combat, treasure hunting, the world, the islands, the exploration
>>
>>333312769
WW fans are delusional
>>
>>333312769
>Best dungeons
>Great Sea was full of stuff to find
Why would anyone go and lie on the internet like that?
>>
>>333321886

Same reason the artifact/Ing key quests are looked down upon in the first 2 Metroid Prime games - it's a considerable pacing killer, and in WW's case it's already got a few questionable spots before that comes up.
>>
>Muh graphics

Other than that, it's one of the most disappointing games ever made with it starting out great, then in the middle it forgets about dungeons and becomes about slowly wandering the ocean looking for tiny Triforce bits and shitastic final bosses.
>>
>>333321886
If you haven't done much exploration outside of the main story at that pointl you suddenly have three hours of tedium ahead of you.

I enjoy it, but not all at once. Best between story scenarios
>>
>>333322545
This is what WW fans actually believe
>>
>>333321886

No bosses. No dungeons. No more items.

Imagine if in the middle of Ocarina of Time right as Link becomes an adult, he has to wander around Hyrule looking for tiny Triforce pieces like some shitty collect-a-thon.
>>
>>333314872
Just as in TP. It would be nice if they actually gave you more chances to fully use those assets, or if the enemies were tougher.
>>
>>333321886

>find map to the eight maps
>hunt down and collect each of the maps which is as harrowing/thrilling as going to the grocery store to pick up paper towels
>take all maps to Tingle where you pay an arm and a leg to translate each one.
>now go hunt down the eight pieces which is exactly as fun as hunting down the maps

It's repetitive and has almost no puzzles or conquest. It's just go to x to pick up y 16 times.
>>
>>333322292
>sailing, nautical combat
The nautical combat is braindead shit and makes saling more of a chore than already is.
>treasure hunting
I refuse to believe that anyone enjoyed that stylo minigame.
>the world, the islands, the exploration
The game is eastethically horrible, with washed out colors, low poly abominations and an ugly 2D/3D hybrid. The results is that the islands look like shit, ugly flat surfaces that all looks the same. Why would anyone enjoy exploring that?
>>
>>333322909
I honestly wouldn't mind that.

With Zelda, I've always preferred just fucking around in the overworlds over dungeon crawling. Then again, I am a collectathon fag.
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>333323038
>The game is eastethically horrible
>>
>>333322957
Hunting down the maps often involved solving puzzles and sidequests though. You're dramatically oversimplifying it.
>>
>>333323206
Difference is you didn't have to sail your way through that overworld in other Zelda games.
>>
File: Wind Waker.png (2 MB, 923x1320) Image search: [Google]
Wind Waker.png
2 MB, 923x1320
>>
>>333323215
He's right though. PH looks like absolute shit in general and its islands look even worse.
>>
File: 1443467981596.jpg (21 KB, 265x190) Image search: [Google]
1443467981596.jpg
21 KB, 265x190
>>333314992
This is a nice picture; it reminds me of 90's Sega advertisements.
>>
>>333323453
Difference is I enjoyed the sailing.
>>
>>333323661
You sound like a cuck.
>>
>>333323572
It's better than the original if I'm being honest. The upgraded sail was a godsend and the Tingle bottle was a neat feature.
>>
>>333323572
Holy shit, why does every Zelda game has to be golden now?

I wouldn't mind the discs or cartridges being like that, but at least let the games have an original cover.
>>
>>333323706
You sound like a faggot landlubber whose parents were raped by pirates.
>>
>>333315574
I don't really think Kondo and Uematsu are comparable since the styles are so different. Personally I'd take Zelda music over FF music any day.
>>
>>333323038

Yes, being able to program a path through the sea and focus on just shooting shit WHILE MOVING and not worrying about wind is less horrible

Yes, doing a little minigame is better than park over the glowy thing, press button, maybe you got it, maybe you didn't and it's also a mystery what you'll find instead of 80% of the time it's rupees 20% it's heart pieces.

Yes, it's more fun exploring because you don't just find the same cookiecutter/desolate islands with nothing on them but again Rupees/heart pieces.
>>
File: Twilight Princess.jpg (464 KB, 1049x1500) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Princess.jpg
464 KB, 1049x1500
>>
>>333310268
how the fuck dare you qustion our authority, godamn it senpai you mouth breathing twitching sodn of a bitch whore. Wind waker is like the best thing ever. It's too fucking good that it has blinded you and you are in unbelief. You turned off you heart ot fun zand joy and now all you can do it complain bitch.

BUt there should have been dolphins, were at fuckign sea
>>
>>333310268
It has incredible presentation, one of the few good stories in the series and if you like Zelda for the exploration instead of purely the dungeons it's the closest the 3D games have gotten to the classics in vibe.

The original release was riddled with weird design decisions though. I have a soft spot for it but it's not one of the best games in the series.
The HD rerelease does so much to improve the game that I can confidently put it on the same level as MM and OoT though
>>
>>333324496

Because it semi-fixed my biggest problem with my favorite Zelda, the piss poor damage output of enemies. Aside from that I don't think it'll change anyone's opinions of the game that they already had.
>>
>>333324496
Holy shit, why does every Zelda game has to be red and green now?

I wouldn't mind the discs or cartridges being like that, but at least let the games have an original cover.
>>
>>333325754
So what you're saying, is that I should play on Hero mode and use the Ganon amiibo so enemies do x4 damage total?
>>
>>333324464
Shooting is shit and the game is better without it.
The minigame is shit and the game is better without it, and you only find useless boat pieces for the costumization (which is half Baker and shit and the game would be better without it)
That's because in PH you already have 95% of the islands charted. The game has far less exploration than WW.
>>
>>333325832

Sure. That and no heart drops makes the game fell considerably better. Still not hard but at least combat requires some semblance of thoughtful approach and preparation. Before it never mattered outside of Cave of Ordeals because nothing did decent damage and almost everything dropped hearts.
>>
>>333324464
>Yes, being able to program a path through the sea and focus on just shooting shit WHILE MOVING and not worrying about wind is less horrible

I can't fathom why anyone would have a problem with this. Enemies can't even harm you if you know how to boat hop properly and even if you want to kill them it takes literally two seconds to park your boat and do the deed.
>>
>>333323932

>now

Every zelda has been gold in the US since the NES, with only a few exceptions.

>yurops actually think the piss yellow digital artwork that hasn't been gold leafed is all the US gets

US covers are better
>>
>>333325909

Wind Waker is shit and the Gamecube would be better without it.
>>
>>333326296
Epic. Upboated.
>>
>>333312769
>Four dungeons
>not too few
>>
>>333326505
Dragon Roost
Forbidden Woods
Tower of Gods
Forsaken Fortress
Earth Temple
Wind Temple
Ganons Tower
>>
>>333310268

Great setting, lovable characters, and fun fights. Also, Toon Link is best Link.
>>
>>333326801
I bet people copy saves past Forsaken Fortress to make new games,that shit Is fucking tedious.
>>
>>333327301
I was talking more about the second visit
I don't get why people don't treat that as a dungeon. It has a compass, a map, keys, a mid boss, a proper boss and an item you get halfway through that lets you access new areas.

It's an experimental dungeon since you visit it twice and I wouldn't say it worked very well but it's very much a dungeon
>>
>>333310268
+Aesthetics. Style is striking without being wanky and applied consistently throughout the game. Nothing clashes like TP's character model vs texture problems.
+ First modern graphic-quality Zelda.
+ Stable difficulty curve. Difficulty is a matter of taste, but not having weirds spikes and troughs, or boring plateaus, makes for a relaxing game.
+ Not what >>333310449 said. Rather, it's the game people played when THEY WERE 12. Because THE BEST EVERYTHING yeah you know the comic. It's at least a little true, I know for me.
+ The most successfully unorthodox Zelda game that isn't steeped in unorthodoxy like Majora.
+ Cool dungeon variety and such.
+ Exploring islands is neat and stretches disbelief less than some other games. Sailing length is a matter of taste but an improbably tiny Hyrule Field full of land that does nothing is deceitful.
>>
>>333324496
>>333326121
So how's the extra dungeon you get from the wolf amiibo?
>>
>>333327757
>difficulty curve

Where?
>>
>>333327757
Oh and very much this >>333311787
Plus at the same time, which is even more impressive in light of it,
+ Ganondorf is at his most balanced and compelling as a villain. He's not mincing, he's not an overly sympathetic non-villain and he's not hamfistedly-evil incarnate, he's just a bad, but ultimately human, man.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 184x184
>>333327954
>>
>>333328079
He fails to be intimidating,however.
>>
File: 141 - LoZ Exploration.jpg (824 KB, 2000x2827) Image search: [Google]
141 - LoZ Exploration.jpg
824 KB, 2000x2827
>>333312769
I really wish they'd remake Zelda I so it wasn't a tweaky awkward mess to play. Or consider making a modern game along its lines, with features from the rest of the series.
>>
>>333316921
I will admit that, while Wind Waker did toon fine, every "toon" game after Minish didn't. In a sense WW began a bad, uncharacterful and lazy trend in aesthetics, though it itself was top tier.

Kinda like Watchmen and edgy comic book characters.
>>
>>333310268

>muh baby first Zelda
>weaboo waifu/husbandofags
>>
>>333327757

I was 12 in 2003. WW is hands down my least favorite 3D Zelda, but I started with OoT and TP is my favorite which came out when I was 15 so it's not that much better of a scenario. But seriously, 12 year old me got shafted in retrospect.
>>
>>333327881

It's Cave of Ordeals but with far less combat options and much more devious enemy setups. Hard as fuck on Hero Mode without Amiibos to save your ass.
>>
>>333321886

let me tell you why. Oh boy, let me tell you why

>SPECIFICALLY huge amount of rupees needed to decipher charts so you can only decode 2 at a time
>I really hope you liked all that treasure hunting before, because now its mandatory
>I also REALLY hope you're 100% accurate in your sailing, because you have to be dead on the pillar of light to get it from the bottom
>did I mention the pillar of light goes away within 10 ft of you?
>have to go all over the fucking map again just to find all the charts for it
>did you know that a teacher is entrusted with safeguarding one of the charts to the most powerful object in the zelda universe? Good thing she gives the deed to said location to a 10 year old child
>>
>>333328486
>Zelda 1
>tweaky awkward mess
>>
>>333321228
What do the letters next to some of the holes mean?
>>
>>333328980
Well so was I. It's funny because when I first read that comic, I checked for things I like that came out then and only WW really stood up. I'm not certain it's that strong a rule of thumb, but it's better than mere "you played it when you were a kid".
>>
>>333329621
I take it you enjoy artificial difficulty?
>>
File: 1404490500640.jpg (421 KB, 1022x831) Image search: [Google]
1404490500640.jpg
421 KB, 1022x831
>>
>>333310268
People didn't worship it when it was announced, that's for sure. Every underage kiddy cried about it.
>>
>>333331489
Well it was a harder game back then. :\
>>
>>333310449
But Ocarina of Time was an amazing game for its time and is still playable.

Link's Awakening was my first game.
>>
>>333331489
It's important for people to remember this, especially how many people who outcried at the time came to view it well.
>>
>>333331279

There might be some merit to it. I do seem to hold Metroid Prime 2 in higher regard than a lot of people and I was 13 when I first played it.
>>
>>333311579

Holy shit nigger you don't play many games. Also Skyward Sword was worst Zelda
>>
>>333331804

I didn't have a problem with Toon Link then and I don't now. However, the actual meat of the game falls short compared to its predecessors and successors IMO. The character and the artstyle is fine but it'd be nice if he finally got into a better than average Zelda.
>>
>>333331376
Where is there any in Zelda 1?
>>
>>333332227
Trying to recollect exactly what I liked and when is surprisingly difficult sometimes, as I seem to remember my childhood and teens in terms of school year more than age, and so I can remember eg/ listening to a Rammstein song when I was in Year 8, but I then have to manually work out the age of Year 8 me. 13?

The range seems to be 12-13, which fits more of a pattern with known cognitive milestones (like how kids can defer pleasure rationally at age 7-7.5). That's when Viewtiful Joe and Dawn of War came out, and I am mad jazzed about them.
>>
>>333316921
>not liking frightening and stressful atmospheres

confirmed for never having sailed in WW
>>
>>333332931
That's like asking where are the bricks in a house. There are unlikely to be any knocking around on the coffee table, I grant you, but that is far from an all-clear sign. The bricks are there and more deeply than you imagine.
>>
File: wooo.png (109 KB, 563x554) Image search: [Google]
wooo.png
109 KB, 563x554
>>333310268

Because it has best pairing

Also neat overworld, good music/artstyle, dungeons much improved from MM
>>
>>333333257

Everyone knows cyclones are comfy. Jokes aside, sailing is mostly a relaxing part of the game. Some shit goes down but it's mostly smooth sailing, pun intended.
>>
>>333332931
>>333331376

There's no artificial difficulty in Zelda 1, there's just a lack of level design and enemy variety. The game's biggest problem is it's not that exciting compared to other NES games.
>>
>>333334148
No really, stop showing off. The game is awful to play because Link jerks and twitches around the screen worse than Mario in SMB.
>>
>>333333342
>>333334339
Are you Eiji Aonuma?
>>
>>333334339

Maybe it's because I never played Zelda 1 on a NES but the fuck are you going on about?
>>
File: I'm dope nigga.jpg (344 KB, 1524x1043) Image search: [Google]
I'm dope nigga.jpg
344 KB, 1524x1043
>>333334339

I'd agree the movement is primitive and shitty but I don't think he jerks or twitches around the screen.

The dungeons are all lacking creativity and all just the same square rooms. Kill enemies, get key, move to the next. They have no variety and the y just walk around until they bump into you or you kill them.

The music and environments are a little bland too.

I understand you're limited on the NES, but Zelda II had much more variety due to it's style of gameplay. Music was improved, the sidescrolling combat allowed for different effects with magic, enemies had different movement and attacks, etc.

Zelda 1 is really the only mediocre title in the series to me. I think every single one starting with Adventure of Link is exciting.

It's a shame too, because I like certain things about the first game, like the overworld, the magic rod, artstyle, how it only takes place on Death Mountain, etc.
>>
File: Death Mountain.png (119 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
Death Mountain.png
119 KB, 800x400
>>333334939
>how it only takes place on Death Mountain
What are you talking about?
>>
They were 4 when they played it and are now old enough to post on /v/
>>
File: Map of Hyrule.jpg (316 KB, 960x680) Image search: [Google]
Map of Hyrule.jpg
316 KB, 960x680
>>333336539

Zelda II map
>>
File: 1455832776774.png (234 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1455832776774.png
234 KB, 500x400
>>333312769
>WW
>Best dungeons
>>
File: GM_Rimix_0010.png (384 KB, 1135x1600) Image search: [Google]
GM_Rimix_0010.png
384 KB, 1135x1600
>>333310268
Idk about you fucks but there's a serious sense of adventure sailing around the sea finding islands in the horizon then making maps of it. Opposed to running around in a field.

Plus I really preferred the dialogue in the game and it had a much more satisfying ending than the previous game. At least we know what the Hero of Winds went on to do, the Hero of Time's remaining adventure remains a mystery.
>>
>>333310268
It gets more hate than any other game in the series.
>>
>>333337198
Deservedly, though.
>>
>>333314979
I don't understand what's so special about Forest Temple.

Level design is so basic, what's the fun in it?

Fire and Water temples best temples
>>
>>333337153
So uhh...anon...where's the rest of that comic. For s-science.
>>
File: 2345432345.jpg (63 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
2345432345.jpg
63 KB, 640x360
>>333310268
Graphics, story and exploration wise I love it but gameplay and dungeon wise I like Twilight Princess better.
Don't get me wrong Twilight Princess had a lot of fucks ups, the wolf sections, the slow ass beginning and the furry edgy teen OOT story.
But at the same time Twilight Pricness has Midna and Zant.
>>
>>333337464

>water temple
>best temple

no. Jesus christ, no
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7292176
>>
>>333337795
TP is OoT for teenagers
However, WW is OoT for toddlers.
>>
>>333337464
>Twilight Princess
>Water temple
>Best
The rule for every Zelda game is that the water dungeon will always be the fucking worst.
Always, Twilight Princess's water dungeon is the least worst compared to the others but it's still pretty bad.
>>
File: Minish.Link.full.175523.jpg (90 KB, 500x900) Image search: [Google]
Minish.Link.full.175523.jpg
90 KB, 500x900
So /v/, which style do you prefer, Toon or grit(couldn't think of a better fitting word), and which game pulls off the style best.

Personally I like Toon more. Zelda at it's core never seemed like a Gritty and dark adventure. More like a story from a daydreaming kid or something like Miyamoto working up his courage as a kid to venture into a cave. MM and OoT never really were games I never really liked much, so maybe it's a bias. The best game to pull of the style to me is WWHD(ignoring those really wonky looking parts), but Zelda U looks like it might pull it off even better
>>
>>333338317
I misanderstood, I meant OoT's Water and Fire temples. I didn't even know TP had a Water Temple (playing it atm, just finished Goron Mines)
>>
>>333337464

It's got some of the most ethereal atmosphere of any Zelda, the twisting hallways and cramped passages lend it an occasionally disorienting feeling, and Phantom Ganon is one of the better bosses in the game. 3D Zelda dungeons have never exactly been labyrinthine but Forest Temple arguably comes the closest to pulling it off.
>>
>>333338317

Having just replayed it, Lakebed Temple might be a hair better than Forest Temple. They're pretty close in quality IMO.
>>
>>333338621
I think we're also forgetting the best part about the Forest Temple
EH
>>
>Get TP HD
>Hero mode
>Gannondorf Amiibo
I-I actually did what I didn't think was possible.
I died in Twilight Princess.
>>
>>333338797
DO DO DOO DOO
>>
>>333338797

Its theme also lends well to the overall atmosphere, memes aside.
>>
>>333338889

It happens quite a bit and it's a shot to the pride every time. Just wait until you try Cave of Ordeals/Shadows.
>>
>>333338463

I like OoT, but I agree with this post. So far though I prefer how WW looks to Zelda U.
>>
>>333312769
I like WW quite a bit, but some of these are straight-up delusional. The Earth Temple is one of my favorite Zelda dungeons, but it's the only one I would consider above average. Wind temple is one of the worst. Besides that, there were too few dungeons. It could have really used another one either in lieu of the triforce quest or to get the third pearl.
>>
>>333339053
>that stale bait image
>>
>>333339467

>Bait

Just 'cause yo ass gets upset over it don't make it bait
>>
File: 10445.jpg (90 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
10445.jpg
90 KB, 1024x768
>>333339053
>classic links all along the top
>LBW one of the best as well
>Saturday morning link at the top

Amazing list, 10/10
>>
File: 1364644048222.jpg (130 KB, 619x800) Image search: [Google]
1364644048222.jpg
130 KB, 619x800
>>333339516

My nig

There's not really a bad Link design in an official game (and I like some of the concept art ones too), but I mainly like the ones where he looks goofy or smug, above all else. The ones like OoT, TP, SS aren't bad but I think they tried a little too hard to make him "cool" instead of just letting him be cool by virtue of being literally the only guy in Hyrule capable of beating an army of monsters and bitchslapping Ganon.
>>
>>333339516
>>333339467
Then what are yout favorites, and provide some reasons why if you got em
I do agree that LBW looks awful though.
>>
>>333339797
If you like goofy Links, why isn't cdi equal to toon?
>>
>>333339516
Wait I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not
>>
>>333339904

He's more or less the NES/LttP/LA Links, just drawn and animated like shit.

Zelda and Ganon are animated like shit too in those but their designs are at least different.
>>
>>333340085
Toon is just OoT Link, just drawn and animated like shit
>>
>>333340174

Nah, he don't have those gay ass fingerless gloves, earrings, or styled hair
>>
>you will never see a Zelda OVA in the concept art style of the original Ocarina of Time

http://picosong.com/NgKz/
>>
ALttP and OoT are the best. The rest are fag jizz.
>>
File: glutier.jpg (249 KB, 892x843) Image search: [Google]
glutier.jpg
249 KB, 892x843
>>333339053
this is bait
>>
>>333340571

I just wanna bullshit about character design bruh
>>
>>333340295
Instead he just looks like an albino nigger midget, which is perfectly fine
>>
>>333331024
They represent the item you need to open the hole. E.g. b = bombs, a = arrows
>>
File: 1441661280673.png (51 KB, 1017x519) Image search: [Google]
1441661280673.png
51 KB, 1017x519
>>333339972
100% serious.

>>333339863
LBW looks toony because he's that weird mix of young and toon link, while also trying to be LTTP link 2.0, it's a very clunky mix but honestly the design grows on you after a while and I've started to like it.

And everyone's going to scream >bait, at my shitty opinion, but saturday morning link is and always will be one of my favorites. Visually it was an interesting alternative for an older link that wasn't as anime / serious as OOT. Plus while a talking link should be terrible, his writing just felt 'right' for him, not every link needs to be serious, and a lot of them always gave off that vibe of 'loveable clumsy doof who's still an accomplished warrior' that the cartoon seemed to pull off really well.
>>
>>333340571
So is that pic.
Garlic bread is so holy fuck overrated
>>
File: Well exc-.png (88 KB, 181x235) Image search: [Google]
Well exc-.png
88 KB, 181x235
>>333340804

>albino nigger midget, which is perfectly fine

I agree, actually. It's just weird and unassuming enough.

>>333341030

>Plus while a talking link should be terrible, his writing just felt 'right' for him,

This. Who cares that he talked, Link has fucking dialogue in Zelda II, says "c'mon" in Wind Waker, and you can choose unique dialogue for him in each game since WW. He has to relay information to people somehow.

Being a smartass fit perfectly for a guy that effortlessly slaps around everything in his path.

>'loveable clumsy doof who's still an accomplished warrior'

Put it better than I could. He shouldn't have to try and dress badass, he's already the most badass.
>>
File: zlCfzRJhrJEQ5XMCZh.jpg (53 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
zlCfzRJhrJEQ5XMCZh.jpg
53 KB, 800x450
Because it's fun. Any other questions?
>>
>>333333332
>>
>>333341530

Why is Ganondorf so gay but classic Ganon is the best?
>>
>>333312769
>wwfags believe this
Some of those are opinions I disagree with and that's fine, but more than half that post is factually inaccurate.
>>
>>333340571
The new bread order is complete horseshit.
>>
While I did enjoy it, I felt the overall experience to be underwhelming. The combat and puzzles were too easy, and the exploration fell flat as there wasn't anything worth discovering.
>>
File: What the fuck.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
What the fuck.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
>>333340571
>banana bread
>anything but top teir
Holy shit kill yourself faggot
>>
>>333341647
It's the same guy, anon.
>>
>>333344128

But the aesthetic and execution are not.
>>
>>333310268
Because you can tell it's the kind of game that Shiggy and crew wanted to make, to advance the series on an artistic level following their own vision, as opposed to churning out formulaic fanbait like TP and ALBW.
>>
File: 1459823779350.jpg (16 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
1459823779350.jpg
16 KB, 256x384
>>333341340
>"I used to fight monsters and sleep in mud. The REAL adventuring life. Now look at me. In a nice bed and frilly castle."
Fuckin lel. I love how he's always sleezing on Zelda too. 5 minutes in and I kinda like this show already. Thanks for pushing me in the direction Anon
>>
>>333345521

The best is that the King even helps Link in his schemes to get in her pants.

She even admits to wanting it a couple of times
>>
File: Link 1.jpg (310 KB, 692x1648) Image search: [Google]
Link 1.jpg
310 KB, 692x1648
>>
File: Link 2.jpg (376 KB, 1292x1140) Image search: [Google]
Link 2.jpg
376 KB, 1292x1140
>>
>>333344165
Anything's better than Puppet Ganon.
>>
File: Link 3.jpg (81 KB, 530x584) Image search: [Google]
Link 3.jpg
81 KB, 530x584
>>
>>333310268
They don't. Maybe back in like, 2010, when it's popularity as people's favorite Zelda was at its peak, now people look at it pretty clearly. Especially after the HD release.
>>
File: Link 4.jpg (61 KB, 485x449) Image search: [Google]
Link 4.jpg
61 KB, 485x449
>>
File: Link 5.jpg (63 KB, 521x419) Image search: [Google]
Link 5.jpg
63 KB, 521x419
>>
File: Link 6.jpg (57 KB, 454x419) Image search: [Google]
Link 6.jpg
57 KB, 454x419
>>
>>333340571
Banana bread is high tier and tortilla is God tier
>>
File: Link Design Sketches 1.jpg (236 KB, 1123x802) Image search: [Google]
Link Design Sketches 1.jpg
236 KB, 1123x802
>>
File: Link Design Sketches 2.jpg (361 KB, 1091x1215) Image search: [Google]
Link Design Sketches 2.jpg
361 KB, 1091x1215
>>
File: Link Design Sketches 3.jpg (311 KB, 968x1391) Image search: [Google]
Link Design Sketches 3.jpg
311 KB, 968x1391
>>
File: Link Design Sketches 4.jpg (404 KB, 973x1697) Image search: [Google]
Link Design Sketches 4.jpg
404 KB, 973x1697
>>
>>333346585

Shoulda went with that one.

>Artist gets told to make Link prettier
>By his wife
>Listens to his wife and incites all the gay fujo shit plaguing the fanart

Pussy
>>
File: Child Link 1.jpg (238 KB, 595x1388) Image search: [Google]
Child Link 1.jpg
238 KB, 595x1388
>>
File: Child Link 2.jpg (272 KB, 1205x977) Image search: [Google]
Child Link 2.jpg
272 KB, 1205x977
>>
>>333345714
>Even Sprite wants his dick
I love it
>>
>>333340571
switch white bread with whole grain and you have a pretty decent chart there
>>
Majora's Mask was my first zelda game. Wind Waker was the first one I actually enjoyed playing. There were parts of Majora's mask that I was more bored with than sailing for the triforce pieces.
>>
>>333340571
>cornbread that low
>>
>>333346912

>Episode where Zelda meets some fairytale prince
>Starts hanging around him
>When push comes to shove he ain't bout it and Link asserts dominance as it was foretold

Based
>>
>>333346748
You're weirdly obsessed with attractive men, anon.
>>
>>333347242

>attractive

Pretty gay, bro.
>>
>>333347089

>MM was my first Zelda

In all fairness that was one of the worst Zeldas to start with. It was designed with people who had already played OoT in mind, not to mention it remains one of the most experimental games in the series to date.
Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.