[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game was clearly designed to be played on a controller.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 15
File: header.jpg (46 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
46 KB, 460x215
This game was clearly designed to be played on a controller. That's why theres:
>no movement mechanics (double jumping requires zero execution)
>fixed max movement speed
>no rocket jumping
>no plasma climbing
>2 weapons max

But even then, the game is still missing core fundamentals even if it's a pseudo arena FPS
>audio mixing is terrible, footsteps are difficult to hear
>forced mouse accel
>forced 60fps max
>no demo's / replays
>visual clutter (shaders and post-processing up the ass, full screen recoil etc)
>no dev console
>no SDK
>stupid fucking perks that give you wallhacks

You'd think since they made Quake 3/Live, they'd take a look at what worked and what didn't for even the fundamentals in FPS game design.
>>
File: 1449632314179.png (225 KB, 411x420) Image search: [Google]
1449632314179.png
225 KB, 411x420
>>333305778
>modern reboot almost nothing like the original

What a shock
>>
>>333306146
Please point out where I said it should be the same as the original.
I'm saying it's missing out on FPS fundamentals that got sorted out over a decade ago.
>>
>>333305778

Maybe you should take the dicks out of your ears

>forced mouse accel

Must be the way you're moving your mouse. No one moves it in a straight line at even speed.

>forced 60fps max

I thought pc gamers estimated 60fps as the ideal experience, no?

>no demo's / replays

it's a beta, jesus get over it

>visual clutter (shaders and post-processing up the ass, full screen recoil etc)

You just have to get used to it

>no dev console

Are you a developer that you need one?

>no SDK

Are you going to complain they aren't releasing the source code too??

hey it makes the game more fun and approachable. If you don't like them, then don't pick them up.
>>
>>333306527
>Maybe you should take the dicks out of your ears
This doesn't happen on any other game that mixes correctly. I've been playing FPS competitively since QWTF. Kill yourself.
>Must be the way you're moving your mouse. No one moves it in a straight line at even speed.
Again, this is a known issue you fucking autist.
>I thought pc gamers estimated 60fps as the ideal experience, no?
60fps is the minimum you fucking retard.
>it's a beta, jesus get over it
Still a fundamental feature in other games, no reason for it not to exist.
>You just have to get used to it
It's poor game design you fucking retard to clutter with noise that adds no value. Especially in an FPS.
>Are you a developer that you need one?
Being able to write your own configs and get your settings correct because in-game menus are extremely limited is important if you want your game taken seriously
>Are you going to complain they aren't releasing the source code too??
You're literally fucking retarded. Kill yourself.
>hey it makes the game more fun and approachable. If you don't like them, then don't pick them up.
How are wallhacks fun? They exist so shitters like you actually stand a chance in the game because otherwise skillers would literally push your shit in.
>>
>>333306361
What's the point of making a reboot if it deviates so much from the original?

Just call it something else.

Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warrior, Doom, what's next, Quake?

Come up with something new already or at least don't desecrate the corpses of the originals
>>
>>333307002
There's no way in hell id could pull off another quake, unless they spoke directly to the community on what they wanted. The same way Epic are doing UT4.
Devs are way out of touch with what made their original games so great these days.
>>
>>333306976
>Kill yourself.
>you fucking autist
>you fucking retard
>you fucking retard
>You're literally fucking retarded.
>Kill yourself.
>shitters like you

Sheesh no need to explode like that. I was only trying to offer alternative opinion.
>>
>forced mouse accel
Mouse input was not raw, but I played without accel
>no demo's / replays
Some feature called Theatre is confirmed to exist so that's probably going to be for replays
>forced 60fps max
Someone enabled the advanced options in the beta and a frame capping option is available. It goes up to at least 144
>>
>>333307308
>reddit formatting
Literally fucking ctrl+w you shitter
>>
>>333305778
Have you ever been near a weapon before? Guns are pretty loud and would drown out all subtle sounds like footsteps. You must be retarded to think otherwise.
>>
File: 1452418141623.jpg (137 KB, 604x515) Image search: [Google]
1452418141623.jpg
137 KB, 604x515
>>333307867
good =/= realistic
>>
>>333307559

>literally
>literally
>literally

This is an 18+ site.
>>
>>333307002
At least the new Shadow Warriors are actually good

2 especially is looking very nice
>>
>>333306527
60 fps is honestly the minimum, PC gaming is moving towards 120/144 fps. Meanwhile consoles still can't hold solid 30, fucking astonishing.
>>
>>333305778
>double jumping requires zero execution
What does this even mean?
>>
>>333307002
Because then nobody would give a shit.
A game can be a superior Call of Duty or a superior Doom, but simple minded people unable to judge and think critically won't buy them because it's not what they have seen in advertisements or Youtube videos.
>>
>>333305778
a few leaked webms showed a legit console + some pretty fast, cpma-like movement.
It made me pretty optimistic for the whole thing actully
>>
>>333308730
>some pretty fast, cpma-like movement.
Hate to let you down man but it's another sluggish console shooter. https://youtu.be/-k_LPEm0gtc
>>
>>333308368
It takes no effort to do unlike say strafejumping in Quake 3 or SR50 in Doom 1/2
>>
>>333308008
But I can't hear the shotgun blasting me in the back 10 feet away from me.

The sound mix in the beta was probably fucked. Some things were REALLY REALLY LOUD and some things that should have been loud were whisper quiet.

Either that or id is incompetent.

They also locked the advanced graphics menu during the beta which made it impossible to get higher framerates or change the FOV.

Rocket jumping is a Quake thing, not a Doom thing.

The movement speed should get bumped up like 20%. You should be able to change direction in midair instead of being fucking COMMITTED to your jumps like classic Castlevania.

The perks are stupid. Loadouts are stupid. I hope to fuck there's a mode that has them disabled. Some of the datamined voiceovers give me hope that such a thing exists (clip of the AI announcer saying CLASSIC sounds promising).

I expect there to be an open beta/demo type situation in the coming weeks. I'll hold judgment of the MP until then. SP on the other hand sounds fucking hilarious and I need to play it.
>>
>>333305778
>You'd think since they made Quake 3/Live, they'd take a look at what worked and what didn't for even the fundamentals in FPS game design.

Quake Live has loadouts now
>>
i go to GZDooM&Brutal DooM.
but gzdoom not like radeon.
(Radeon Driver OpenGL is Buggy)
>>
>>333308968
Those are not the same thing at all. double jumping in UT2004 took no effort. Name one shooter where double jumping required execution.
>>
>closed beta
>bitching about audio mixing like it's final or something
>>
>>333308983
>Rocket jumping is a Quake thing, not a Doom thing.
doom was 2.5d, doom 4 is 3d. it's not an excuse to have really shitty physics
>>
>>333305778
It has movement mechanics faggot, you should check the server settings
>>
>>333310467
GZDooM MOD have locket jumping weapon mod.
>>
>>333310467
That has nothing to do with anything. Doom 1/2/3 didn't have rocket jumping. Doom 4 doesn't need it. Doom 4 needs a speed bump and less floaty, awkward jumps.

And a mode with no loadouts/perks.

I mostly like it otherwise.
>>
why "loadout" rocketlauncher is low damage?
>>
>>333310862
It hits as hard as a fully charged railgun bodyshot. It just has a teeny tiny splash area and the rockets are slowish.
>>
This game is severely uninteresting until they add split screen to the campaign mode.
>>
>>333309112
I'm curious, but did you actually expect anybody on /v/ to actually play the games they claim to play or talk about?
>>
File: 1459523694756.jpg (258 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1459523694756.jpg
258 KB, 1080x1920
RATE MY OC FAMPAIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdO09gGeO0M
>>
>>333311097
In the later, i think railgun are brutal.
>>
>>333310862
Rocket Launcher is typically valued for it's splash damage, not it's raw power. It looks like they've changed that in the new doom, but iirc, the original doom's rocket launcher did a paltry amount of damage with a direct hit. It was the subsequent explosion that did the most damage.

>>333310467
Technically, Doom had rocket Jumping, but it was used to propel yourself horizontally across a gap.

>>333308968
Maybe basic movement mechanics should be easy to execute? I'd understand some advanced stuff requiring more skill, but this seems like a pretty core feature.
>>
>>333305778
>they made Quake 3/Live

all key staff already left, even Carmack works for facebook
>>
>>333305778
>footsteps are difficult to hear
Good, fuck sound whoring
>>
>>333308940
So a game needs to be autist levels of fast to be fats? Nah, Quake did that and look where that got it. A small but tightly knit fanbase sure, but nobody buys those games because their about as player friendly as a hacksaw to the arse.
>>
>>333311097

ROCKETS DO 55

CHARGED VORTEX DOES 84

STATIC RIFLE DOES 60

GET FUCKED
>>
>>333305778
>no rocket jumping
>no plasma climbing
For real?
Thos are some dumb design choices
>>
>>333305778
All that greentext when you could've just said
>It's not Quake
>>
>>333306976
Your autism is showing. Chill out you fucking clown
>>
>>333312205
SUPERSHOTGUN (FULLHIT)70
>>
>>333312205
I've been calling the static rifle the railgun because that's what it feels like.
>>
>>333312591
The highest I saw the SSG hit for was 80.
>>
>>333310718
doom 3 had rocket jumping, impulse from explosives, knockback when getting hit by things. momentum based physics from the engine it inherited. it was slow as shit, a bad game but that's beside the point. at least it had the basic physics elements that should be there, albeit in a butchered way. doom 4 is a floaty generic mess and we all know why it doesn't have rocket jumping and impulse; it's designed for a controller and for the lowest common denominator
>>
no rocket jump = no rocket combo
>>
>>333305778
I understand where you're coming from, and I can agree with about half of what you say here, but even then, none of it is a dealbreaker. For starters, I played on a mouse and Keyboard and had no issues with the controls. The accuracy of mouse input actually shines with weapons like Vortex Rifle, Static Rifle, and Lightning Gun, which all require precise aim. On a console, lack of precision aim has to be compensated for with character positioning (ie. Left analog stick) and strafing, which is fairly clunky.

>no movement mechanics (double jumping requires zero execution)
Like I said earlier, it seems like a basic movement mechanic should be easy to pull off.

>fixed max movement speed
By this I assume you mean that there is no sprint function, which could be one of two types of sprint functions: CoD Sprinting, where weapon is lowered during sprint and movement can only be made forward, or DooM 1-3 sprinting, where you literally just move faster, with no penalties. Assuming you're referring to the latter, I prefer that there is no dedicated sprint button, Since you spend the entirety of the game holding down the shift button. Seems it would be easier to instead having base movement speed being max, since everyone is going to sprint anyways. That said, I do with max speed was a bit faster.

>no rocket jumping
Never tried it in the beta, but I'll take your word that it's gone. It's lamentable to see it removed, but the addition of double-jump mitigates this somewhat.

>no plasma climbing
I'm not too terribly familier with this one, and it seems more like an exploit, but I agree that it would have been cooler if something like it was in the game.

>2 weapons max
An odd choice, and likely one made by the publisher, but since it isn't trying to be a Pure Arena shooter, it's not too horrible. I'd like to see how the game plays with weapon pickups, but after putting 10 hours into the beta, the two-weapon system seems to get the job done.
>>
>A game can't be called Doom unless everyone is running at 60mph
>>
>>333305778
Know what else played great on a controller?

Doom.

Checkmate, autists.
>>
>>333305778
>>333314083 Cont.
Audio was a little awkward in the beta. At times I could hear footsteps, then I couldn't hear much of anything. Seems more like a glitch, and I'm willing to chalk it up to Beta status, but I hope they get that ironed out for the final release.

>forced mouse accel
Never noticed it, myself. If it IS in the game, then hopefully the advanced game settings (which was absent int he beta) will let players turn it off. For all their faults, even id wouldn't make a rookie mistake like that

>forced 60fps max
Basically the same as above. Hopefully the final version will fix this.

>no demo's / replays
If I understand this point correctly, this seems like a fairly petty complaint, but even then, their removal makes sense from a design perspective. With the respawn times being damn near instant, the intention seems to be keep a constant flow of gameplay, and even a 2-second replay video would break the flow more then it needed to.

I never had a problem with this, but iirc, some post-processing effects could be turned off in the beta, presumably more in the final release.

>no dev console
Some Anon claimed there is evidence that a console will be in the final release. Can't confirm myself.

>no SDK
Just like most games, but yeah, shit sux. SnapMap isn't exactly a replacement for a full SDK, but it's something, at least.

Yeah that was fucking stupid, I have no idea what they were thinking with that. I never used that shit
>>
File: 1332271236446.png (64 KB, 660x546) Image search: [Google]
1332271236446.png
64 KB, 660x546
>>333315334
You say that, but the 360 port was pretty solid. I guess games that were never intended to have vertical camera movement transition well-enough to modern consoles. Still no replacement for a M&Kb
>>
>>333314479
I think the speed of the new Doom is fine, but i'd prefer it if the game moved at least a little faster
>>
File: 1335040717151.jpg (71 KB, 650x332) Image search: [Google]
1335040717151.jpg
71 KB, 650x332
>>333305778
Seems like a lot of the criticism is based on comparing the Multiplayer to pure arena shooters like Quake3 or UT. Unless I missed some comment by the devs, it doesn't seem like that's what the game is necessarily trying to be. It takes elements of arena shooters, for sure, but I never got the impression that the game was trying to be the true sucessor to Quake3. If it was, then I'd be pretty pissed with it, but taken on it's own merits, I think the multiplayer is fine. Not without it's faults, but worth sinking several hours into.
>>
File: 1331549865998.jpg (30 KB, 555x644) Image search: [Google]
1331549865998.jpg
30 KB, 555x644
>>333308262
Shadow Warrior looks fucking excellent

So does DOOM
>>
File: 0-.gif (2 MB, 245x155) Image search: [Google]
0-.gif
2 MB, 245x155
>>333306976
>RAGE
>>
>>333307002
Personally, I'd rather a reboot of a franchise take the property in a different direction than the original, unless the original was N64-era old.

Actually, scratch that. I'd rather franchises never get rebooted.
>>
>>333305778
>>2 weapons max

What? Why are you lying? I saw a wheel of weapons in a gameplay video.
>>
>>333317360
Probably was talking about the multiplayer beta that just ended.
>>
File: 16589876.jpg (8 KB, 113x147) Image search: [Google]
16589876.jpg
8 KB, 113x147
>>333306976
>I've been a pro competitive player forever for real dude you know it
>What kind of lingo do competitive players use uhh skillers bro I'm such a skiller you better believe it
>>
File: 1387064351609.png (247 KB, 760x572) Image search: [Google]
1387064351609.png
247 KB, 760x572
>>333307539
Gonna need some sauce on that
>>
>>333317989
is that poor lady OK?
>>
>>333317989
That pissed me off to no end, could barely see shit. I'd attribute it to possible graphical artifacts they couldn't get fixed by the beta, so they just opted to remove it instead because people will judge the quality of a final game based on the beta

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-hitman-beta-felt-too-much-like-a-beta/
>>
>>333318283
I hope not desu senpai
>>
>>333305778
Elaborate on what you disliked.
>>
File: 20100811-tc8.jpg (17 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
20100811-tc8.jpg
17 KB, 500x303
>>333306976
>Skillers
>>
File: neogaf.png (407 KB, 496x550) Image search: [Google]
neogaf.png
407 KB, 496x550
>>333306527
>SDK means releasing the source code too
Doom has long been a pillar of the modding community and this snapmap bullshit is honestly a slap in the face to that community.
If you honestly don't want more options for expanding the game you should reevaluate your hobby.
>>
>>333319237
Name the last AAA game to release an SDK.

Not disagreeing with you here, I wish id released an SDK too, but when was the last time that happened.
>>
>>333319635
Would you count the new Unreal Tournament? Still in Alpha but it's basically a dev kit first.
Still, the fact that it's so rare would make D44M stand out more than just Halo but with demons.
>>
>>333319237
Trying to sort through the innards of a modern in-house engine is way above the skill of the modding community, anyway. Unreal 4 is MADE to have its SDK used by everyone and they still mostly haven't moved on from Half-Life. By the time you're skilled enough to work that shit, you may as well get a real job doing it.
>>
>>333320190
If their engine is shit and hard to develop for then their product is shit and they're producing something unworthy of the legacy.
SnapMap is basically an SDK but it's designed for consoles and I don't see it having the legs that old school Doom did.
Just call it Space Demons and stop trying to masquerade as something that was good.
>>
It's because arena shooters are dead. Seriously, look at player count on Steam and it's near impossible for new players to enter as it's so competitive.

Also this is Doom, not Quake. The super fast movement is not needed here.

Also Unreal Tournament 4 speed is similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhe6TJGnvZo
>>
What's this meme that the new Doom was supposed to be as moddable as previous installments? Doom 3 has like a dozen good mods, MAYBE, and that's all subjective, and the only reason the original is so heavily modded because it's 30 fucking years old. What was cutting edge then is elementary now.

Like what the fuck? Use your brains guys, snapmap is probably the best that we could ever hope for.
>>
>>333311565
linear tween/10, pretty alright
>>
>>333320801
>If their engine is shit and hard to develop for then their product is shit and they're producing something unworthy of the legacy.

The only thing enabling Doom 1 & 2 modding in the first place was the simplicity of the format any game could feasibly use in 1993 with processing power being what it was. It didn't even come with an SDK, the files were just simple enough that one could be built by a third party. Now, any SDK - and I mean ANY AT ALL, even Unreal - takes professional-level 3D artists to even make a level up to standard. If they released the SDK you'd just be getting Snapmap-tier levels with box rooms and the occasional substance-less portfolio piece from a 3D artist looking to get hired by someone.
>>
i like old doom super speed.
not like quake speed.
>>
Snapmap is hyper doom maker?
mariomaker is little?
>>
>complaints about things that Doom never had
quakefaggots wanting everything to be like their dead game, as per usual
>>
>>333321145
As someone who enjoyed the beta, the only thing keeping me in it was that it had new content and people playing that UT4 doesn't have. UT4 is better in almost every conceivable way, and will be unless the "Classic" mode that one Anon found in the voice files is an honest to god, rebalanced, weapons on the map gamemode.
>>
File: Hidey Ho.jpg (5 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
Hidey Ho.jpg
5 KB, 184x184
>>333321145
>Doom was never fast
>>
>>333322209
We will have to wait I guess. I hope snapmap allows us to make classic multiplayer maps with weapons scattered around the map.
>>
File: halo-forge-brumack-gears-war.jpg (267 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
halo-forge-brumack-gears-war.jpg
267 KB, 1600x900
>>333321489
>>333321818
The point is that the tools will be available. Snapmap is a halfhearted attempt at making them available but they're limiting the material on offer either for simple console folk or for some strange business reason.
If they had any confidence in their product they'd be throwing out as many tools as they could make.
Doom 3 is a weird one because it's a departure from the fast paced arcade style, the core mechanics just aren't as fun and malleable as the original. If they want to capture that kind of aesthetic (which they should be if they're not calling this game Doom 4 or Space Demons X), they would be more open about robust development tools.
The fact is they could be capitalizing on Doom as a platform instead of just shooter of the month. It's wasted potential trying to chase the call of duty tail and offer fewer customization options than even Halo does with Forge.
>>
forge no crate world , coop, singleplay
>>
>>333322672
>they're limiting the material on offer either for simple console folk or for some strange business reason.

This isn't rocket science:
The engine id uses is private. Meant for private use, and meant to be available only to companies operating under the same publisher. Adapting it so that it's suitable for public use - which would involve cutting it down so that they're not effectively giving full access to their in-house engine to anyone who buys the game - would take money and effort that is unlikely to see a worthwhile return, because it's a tool only a small subset of people would have the skill to use in the first place. It's *exactly the same* as DICE and Frostbite and isn't the slightest bit out of the ordinary. Putting money into development of a tool that is actually tailor made to see use by the general public, on the other hand, is a worthwhile investment.
>>
>>333316604

You're too smart for /v/, don't bother posting.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.