[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/. I want your opinions. Do you think that good, fun gameplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: special.jpg (11 KB, 280x240) Image search: [Google]
special.jpg
11 KB, 280x240
Hey /v/. I want your opinions.

Do you think that good, fun gameplay makes up for bad story, or do you think that the gameplay doesn't matter as long as the story is good?
>>
>>333301648
You should be asking about mechanics. Fun is bullshit people make up to justify bad purchases and wastes of time.
>>
>>333301827
mechanics are part of the fun. without fun, or some story to keep you interested, how is a game enjoyable at all?
>>
>>333301979
You're worried to much about enjoyability.
>>
>>333301648
Fun gameplay will make up for a terrible or nonexistant story. An amazing story can not make up for terrible gameplay.
>>
>>333302081
i think it's all about enjoyability. that's why i play video games. of course, i'm not excusing poorly made games, but if there's fun to be had with any game, then i say go ahead and play it. that's the purpose.
>>
>>333301979
>story to keep me interested
go read a book then nigga. You think Super Monkey Ball was one of my favorite games because of its deep and metaphorical story?
>>
>>333301827

>Fun is bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTQTQvQ3bA0
>>
>>333301648
Yes. Fallout 1 and 2 had fun gameplay and quests. The stories weren't amazing but they were mostly solid. Same with Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
>>
>>333302301
i'm not saying a good game requires a story. but games have the capacity to provide a story that is just as well written as one found in a book, and to present it in an interactive form. that's a good thing
>>
>>333301648
Fallouts by bethesda feature neither fun gameplay or good stories.
>>
>>333302520
I never said anything about fallout games.
>>
videoGAMES should be enjoyable GAMES to play. everything else comes after
>>
File: larry.png (506 KB, 1005x657) Image search: [Google]
larry.png
506 KB, 1005x657
>>333302518
Okay, but that wasn't the question and nobody said games can't make good stories.
>>
>>333302362
>shitty waving subtitles
>Giant SUBSCRIBE flying at the screen for the second half of the video
>video itself is only slightly related
>cartoon for small children
You've proven your point, fun is for autistic 12 year olds
>>
>>333301648
>good,fun gameplay makes up for bad story
Example: Just Cause 2
The story is garbage, but the gameplay is fun.

>gameplay doesn't matter as long as the story is good
Not really about story, but setting for me. I like the historical setting a lot, and some games have horrible gameplay when thinking objectively, but my imagination makes up for it.
An example: Mount and Blade WFAS is lacking in features compared to the other games in the series, is somewhat buggy and has no mods, but the setting makes up for it tremendously, and it is by far my most played and favourite Mount and Blade game, even though Viking Conquest is objectively superior.
>>
>>333301648
. In my opinion, the only reason to push through a game with bad gameplay is the story. Same goes for overly complex gameplay. I can't play games that require too much effort without some kind of investment otherwise it just feels too much like work
>>
I'm more pissed off by a shitty story than shitty gameplay.
>>
>>333301648
if one is shit, the other better be really good
>>
What about Galaga?
>>
>>333303510
I can excuse shitty sotry if the gameplay is fun and it's not supre tied to the story.

Writing stories is hard, but making really fun game play instead of what feels like a mindless time sink is hard.
>>
>>333303206
In short: in my opinion, the most important part of a game is the setting, followed by the gameplay, followed by the story. You can craft your own story using your imagination, although a masterpiece of a story will always beat that.

E.g: the only futuristic Sci-Fi game I've liked is Starcraft, and that is partially due to nostalgia.
>>
There is no such thing as a good video game story, I don't care what anyone says. All games are bound by their gameplay which inherently makes them grossly unrealistic.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 197x256
>>333304668
>realistic = good
>>
>>333304976
I don't mean realistic in that it has to be exactly like real life, but when most games have you killing hundreds of people/animals a a day single handedly, there's no real passage of time, NPCs only react to you, and all sorts of other things that have to happen to make it a game, then it enters the real of game world where story is only a pathway by which the game is fed to you.
>>
>>333301648
In some cases. With Metal Gear Solid, V is a game with one of the laziest stories I have ever seen but the gameplay is superb in every way but I prefer the older games because although they have rather mediocre gameplay the writing, characters and story are good and I am able to overlook the gameplay. Games like Just Cause 2 are prime examples of gameplay not mattering. As long as the gameplay is fun enough to make up for a shit story then it is fine but if the story is just lazy and not cheesy fun like Just Cause 2 then it is dogshit.
>>
>>333301648
It's a game, it's about how it plays.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.