[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know it's somewhat of a longshot but is there anyone here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1445552931507.gif (329 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1445552931507.gif
329 KB, 256x256
I know it's somewhat of a longshot but is there anyone here working in the industry- preferably not in an obscure indieshit company- but maybe in some random position at a large- semi large developer, that could tell me a little about getting into the industry? I'm currently doing a degree comp sci and my plan is to try find employment in a double or triple a dev. Not that I particularly want to make triple a games, (I don't think triple A publisher's would go for the kind of stuff I would like to do) but I'd like learn how to make somewhat large, technically complex, polished games (I'm really not interested in being indie). My hope is that in starting with something like programming I could transition into a design role, or at worst maintain a position as a programmer which isn't a bad job.

If there's anyone reading this that could maybe give me some advice on what would help me realize my goal/dream, which is to someday have a decent amount- if not full control over design, I would really appreciate it. One of my major sources of concern is that I live in the UK and I don't moving to some place like the US to pursue a career in game design is extremely risky when I could just take my degree and get a cushy desk job.
>>
>>333300386
You're never going to have full control ever in a AAA studio anon, get real.
>>
>>333302018
>Not that I particularly want to make triple a games, (I don't think triple A publisher's would go for the kind of stuff I would like to do)
>>
>>333300386
Hire some pleb indie devs and pay them to work on your game
Enjoy having control over design
>>
>>333302821
>which is to someday have a decent amount- if not full control over design

I just answered your retarded dream question.

If you want complete control over the design of a game you're gonna have to go indie or start your own company, else you're never gonna get 100% control or even close to it. Especially since you haven't even proven yourself and you're never gonna be able to prove yourself in a company in today's age.
>>
>>333302821
I don't know what really defines indie, but there's some moderate-sized companies out there where you can do what you want.
But its unlikely you'll assume control of lead design unless you are an already established name. Its more likely that you would just make your own company and start from the bottom.
Even if you did manage to somehow start on top (with an already established company, in the role of lead designer, with no experience) the only path you can go from the top is down.
>>
I work at Microsoft and once you have a job there you are given a lot of freedom to change departments even if you have no prior experience in them. You could try to get into the Apprenticeship/Intern/Graduate scheme and worm your way into the vidja side of things.
>>
>>333303343
Any lead role today requires you to have worked on and shipped a AAA title game and around 5 years in the industry. Unless OP is some famous indie he's gonna have to work extremely hard to become a lead.
>>
>>333303468
>you are given a lot of freedom to change departments even if you have no prior experience in them
I guess that explains why all their code is a mess.
>>
>>333303546
Did I ever say I wanted to fucking get a job and become a lead dev within the week. Chill the fuck out.
>>
>>333304083
Why are you so defensive about his post? What he said was the truth: If you want to do what you want to do then you're gonna have to work extremely hard to get there.
>>
File: 1418481177888.jpg (87 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1418481177888.jpg
87 KB, 640x480
>>333304083
>>333300386

what a massive faggot

enjoy having all your dreams crushed under the weight of the real world

hang yourself you cancerous worm
>>
>>333304263
Sorry, it goes without saying that I'm not retarded and know that I would have to work very hard for what I want to do. I have no qualms about starting from the bottom and should have made it clear that I have no pretensions about getting some position of full control in any company that isn't indie or my own.

I'll clarify that when I talk about potentially working for a moderately large developer then that would be mainly for learning, and perhaps proving myself. Part of my question I suppose is if this is retarded idea, for example learning to develop at a larger dev and then taking those skills and maybe applying somewhere else or smaller.
>>
>>333305059

can already smell the beta in you, kid

give it up
>>
>>333305487
Never
>>
>>333305059
Depends, large company's are going to restrict your freedom, aka switching postions is not easy and will most likely not happen unless someone leaves. Whatever position you get hired for is most likely going to be your learning stop. However the experience you can find in these companies is huge, but it's gonna end being making friends in your spare time or at lunch.

Smaller companies/indies mostly allow you to kinda freely move around and will be more willing to understand your end goal. But you need to be a jack of trades to land a job there or be the 1% when it comes to talent.

I would personally recommend going to a large studio. But be reminded that your degree is mostly worthless paper, your skill is all that matters.
>>
>>333300386
is there an easy way to make one of these zoom-in and shake and become red scary gifs
>>
>>333300386

1. Learn Computer Science focus in C# and start learning Unity and other engines.

2. Build a few hobby games non-stop when going to school to build a portfolio.

3. Get an entry job, hope your not contract and pushed out of the company in 6 months.

4. Work tons of shitty hours on GUI, and Back end shit, and hope for a promotion.

5. Get laid off.
>>
being a game developer is cheaper than ever. like, 0 costs involved tier cheap. you could do it as a hobby and have a real job to pay the bills.

that said, if you want to work for a developer you're just going to have to apply. sounds like you're a programmer, so you probably want either c++ or c# under your belt, some scripting language (lua is popular, but anything really), also familiarity with one or more game engines, for obvious reasons.

i'm in a tech art role but transitioned from an artist so i don't really know much about programmer hiring practices, but those are sort of obvious things.
>>
>doing a degree in comp sci
>want to make games

please get out of my major and go to Full Sail University or some shit
>>
>>333300386

Indies get a bad wrap because of the stereotype that they're a bunch of hipsters working on pixel shit. It doesn't have to be that way, though.

Start your own studio and grow and you will be able to work on more complex games.

Also, I might not work as a professional dev on games, but from personal experience as a software engineer: the only way to learn how to work on large and complex projects is by doing. Don't be afraid of spending a couple of weeks up to a couple of months (depending on the size of the game) on design and architecture before getting started with actual programming.
>>
>>333300386
Don't be fucking stupid. My degree is in actual game dev, it's worthless and the industry is cancer. I make recruitment software now and I've never been happier or more in control of what I do.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.