[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why has no game ever put a minigame in loading screens? The closest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: 1459836317026.jpg (93 KB, 900x319) Image search: [Google]
1459836317026.jpg
93 KB, 900x319
Why has no game ever put a minigame in loading screens? The closest I can think of is Bayonetta's combo practice.
>>
>>333294458
Usually it's because that takes up resources that could be used for loading assets. Having a minigame or practice mode on loading screens is basically saying "well, we're not going to try and minimize loading, we're going to hide it"

Since it also requires developing and setting up something to do during the time, it's just easier to run shit through as fast as possible. Some games had interactive loading screens that hardly counted as games, but still gave you something to do (Phantasy Star Online, Lost Planet).

So games do it, but it's uncommon.
>>
Isn't it because one company has the patent to it and therefore no one else can do that? Or is that just folklore?
>>
>>333294458
The DBZ games constantly do this though.
>>
>>333294458
It was copyrighted until a few months ago. Might be more common soon
>>
Capcom had the rights to minigames in loading screens. The patent just expired this year.

I think we'll start to see them soon, now that the patent is no longer exclusive to them.
>>
>>333294458
Namco had it patented until recently.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/loading-screen-game-patent-finally-expires
>>
>>333294908
>copyrighted
Patented, anon. Patented.
>>
>>333294458
Namco patented it.
>>
>>333294458
Bandai Namco patented it so it has only appeared in DBZ games until recently. The patent ran out recently. Now anyone can do it.
>>
>>333294932
Not Capcom, Bandai Namco. Jesus Christ did you ever see them in SF? No, they were in blamco DBZs.
>>
>>333295136
I brainfarted. Since someone else mentioned Namco I didn't feel like correcting it in a second post.
>>
There's some really good ones in Splatoon.
>>
Bayo has a combo training room in loading screens
>>
The PS1 Space Jam game did this.
>>
>>333294458
FIFA 15
>>
okami had one that actually gave you useful items if you did it well
>>
Why would they? The whole point about loading screens is being as short as possible.
>>
>>333294827
That rings a bell.
>>
>>333295368
Did you even read the OP?
>>
>>333294942
>Suddenly, the player wasn’t thinking about how boring it was to wait for a game to load; she could have fun playing Galaxian while the console took its time loading Ridge Racer. If she beat Galaxian before Ridge Racer was done loading, she’d be rewarded in Ridge Racer with access to some in-game bonuses.

>she
>>
The PS2 version of Test drive had Pong in the loading screens.
>>
>>333295576
if your loading screen provides interactive gameplay, you can get away with much longer load times because it doesn't feel as long when there is something to do

also the game can be coded in as part of the UI or other background processes. they don't necessarily add any time to the loading screen
>>
Fifa have been doing this for literally 6 years.
>>
>>333294745

loading is data bandwidth intensive, so running a minigame will not impact performance as long as you're not bottlenecked by decompression.

As always it is the incompetence of the patent system an jewery that is behind.
>>
Because you can't even read text with a SSD for loading, even consoles can use a SSD these days.
>>
>>333294827

it's not "one company", it's namco but the patent expired last year

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/loading-screen-game-patent-finally-expires
>>
File: 1388019873845.gif (650 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
1388019873845.gif
650 KB, 320x480
>>333294942
>>333296301
That reminds me I was never able to get those bonus cars. The game would finish loading right before I could kill the last enemy.
>>
>>333296301
>triggered over pronouns
Pretty pathetic mate.
>>
PSX Fantastic Four had a cool racing minigame in the loading screens.

https://youtu.be/RsS708dK4xM?t=174
>>
Umbrella Chronicles let you shoot the Umbrella logo and make it bounce around during loading screens.
>>
>>333296301
Most gamers are female.

Assuming you define "gamer" as someone who has at any point in their life played anything that fits the most basic definition of what a "video game" actually is.
>>
Is this bait? I actually can't tell.
>>
Splatoon did this just last year
>>
>>333294458
splatoon? while waiting for matches you could play minigames
>>
File: puzzle-example.png (128 KB, 590x297) Image search: [Google]
puzzle-example.png
128 KB, 590x297
I remember a fighter game for the PS1 had a puzzle during loading times like in pic, but I can't remember the name of it.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.