[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>That game where the sequel is objectively better in nearly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_Coverart.jpg (150 KB, 256x364) Image search: [Google]
Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_Coverart.jpg
150 KB, 256x364
>That game where the sequel is objectively better in nearly every way, yet you prefer the original and find it to have more charm
What's her name, /v/?
>>
>>333291595

I remember that game. I played it as a kid. I remember there was this scene in the game where you're in the ocean and you had to pass through these rings or hoops or something and there was a fuckload of sharks everywhere. It took me hours trying to muster the courage to finish that part.

I'm not sure how or when I did but I eventually did it.
>>
File: spyro 1 anal.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
spyro 1 anal.png
1 MB, 1280x960
>>333291595
Spyro.the Dragon. 2 definitely had the better gameplay and controls, so much more you could do, slightly improved graphics (as seen with Spyro himself), and the extra abilities/power ups/mini games added many gameplay elements, but I still prefer the atmosphere/worlds and music of 1 any day.
>>
>>333291595
The more I see about Mirrors Edge 2, the more I think I'm going to have that sentiment towards the first one.
>>
>>333291810
For me it was the parts with the sea mines
>>
>>333291595
I'd like to elaborate on why I prefer this game over its sequels. While Ty 2+3 have smoother controls and much more content, Ty 1 seems to have a comfier more chill atmosphere, a comfier story, and better music.

Also, the humor and tone of Ty 1 seems to be less corny and more "also enjoyed by adults" than the other two games, which have cringey voices and jokes and just feel like they're "for kids only".
>>
>>333292054
I feel a bit of the same way when it comes to Crash 1 vs Crash 2. Crash 1 felt more challenging and satisfying to me, getting all the gems without losing a life per level. Crash 1 also had a brilliant "atmospheric" soundtrack which the other Crash games just didn't have, though they still had great music.

Don't get me wrong, I love Crash 2, but I think crash 1 deserves more credit than it usually gets.
>>
>>333291810
>that shark boss fight
Scared the shit out of me as a kid. I had an intense fear of sharks when I was younger so I was too afraid to go into the water with him, and I hadn't seen Jaws yet so I didn't get the reference on how I was supposed to explode him with the oxygen tanks.
>>
>>333291595
2 > 1 > 3

Prove me wrong
>>
>>333294607
I agree. Ty 3 focused on combat too much which was boring as shit, not enough platforming and collecting things.
>>
>>333292054
I honestly think 2 is the worst of the trilogy.
1>3>2. None of them are bad though.
>>
File: Half-Life_Cover_Art.jpg (225 KB, 305x437) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_Cover_Art.jpg
225 KB, 305x437
I realize that in a lot of ways, HL2 is technically the better game, but I always get the urge to go back to the original. It's faster and more intense, the levels feel more interesting and vibrant, and I really love the game's cool Laboratory/Military Base setting.
>>
bump

NAME SOME MORE GUYS
>>
>>333296723
For me, 2 beats 3 hand down. Crush, Gulp and Ripto were so much more memorable than the bosses in 3 (only remember Buzz and Sorceress by name), the season based homeworlds were much nicer, and I really liked the small goofy cutscenes for every map. 3 also suffered from the playable friend characters, didn't like any of them. Only bad thing in 2 is that the collectibles were garbage. Statues > eggs >>>> orbs.

1 is still the best.
>>
>>333299976
agreed
>>
File: Going_Commando_box.jpg (97 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
Going_Commando_box.jpg
97 KB, 640x908
>>333291595
>>
File: image.jpg (338 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
338 KB, 1024x768
I like Tomba 1 a lot more than Tomba 2.
>>
>>333302709
I would really prefer if you'd be quiet
>>
I like all the Crash games, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I find myself preferring Crash 1 to Crash 2 in some ways.

In Crash 1, getting all the gems without losing a life per level felt like a real challenge which the other games just didn't have as much. Crash 1 also had a brilliant "atmospheric" soundtrack which was surprising for a kids' game, whereas the other games focused more on Devo "robot-pop" (which I still love).
>>
Borderlands. The second game had so much more going on, but goddamn I hate playing it. The humor just makes everything shit and I just don't connect to the characters at all. First one was great aside from the anticlimactic ending.
>>
The thing about game sequels is that unlike movie sequels, game sequels surpass the originals about 70% of the time, as the developers learn from their mistakes and build on the strengths of the original.
>>
>>333301894
>>333292054
These
>>
I just got ty on steam and while playing it i remembered a game i had on PS2 that had i think ducks but the main gameplay was driving around on a scooter and you could upgrade your scooter. It was based on some shitty TV show.
>>
Dark Souls. 2 is a better game but the first one is comfy.
>>
>>333301631
>never 100% Spyro 3 without cheats because of the bug that made it impossible to get the egg from a flying stage after you exit it
That fucking honey&bees themed flying stage, I beat the race literally dozens of times
>>
Bioshock. >>333291595
>>
>>333303925
Sitting Ducks
>>
File: 1454468600171.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1454468600171.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>333291595
>the last part where you have to guide the boomerang through that maze

I was such a pleb back then, and I was about elementary school age, that I had to have my dad beat it for me.
>>
Daily reminder that Ty is on steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/411960/
>>
Literally almost every game with a sequel.

I prefer my games to be "basic" without too much fluff or extra goodies. Usually they feel more focused because of this.

Examples: MMZ is better than 2, 3, 4. Same with with Megaman although my personal favorite is actually 6. All of the Xs tend to suffer from "more stuff" as well. Even GTA III i prefer more than VC. Though I like SA better because that's where all the "extras" in VC were really perfected.

Notable exceptions tend to be Mario games. Like 3 is better than 1 any day erry day. NFS HP2 is leagues better than NFS III in any case. Fight for NY is better than Vendetta on all levels.
>>
>>333302709
I liked the 2D visuals and having to deal with less voice acting way more to be honest. Tomba 2 is still good, but the 3D put me off a little bit.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.