[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Sonic overrated? I just tried playing Sonic and Knuckles on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 22
File: sonic knuckles.png (11 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
sonic knuckles.png
11 KB, 320x224
Is Sonic overrated? I just tried playing Sonic and Knuckles on Retroarch and kept hitting walls as I tried to go fast.

It's not even fun.
>>
>>333273271
sOUNDS LIKE YOU FUCKING SUCK.
>>
>>333273917
I suck at a lot of games but they're still fun.
>>
>>333273271
>It's another "I can't into games before gen 5" thread.

Don't expect Generations levels of speed from the older games, anon. The first Sonic wasn't even fast. That particular game has some speed, but you'll need to git gud.

Just play it like every other platformer and don't worry about going FAST.
>>
>>333273271
I also never really got the appeal of Sonic games, even as a kid. I had an SNES and my cousin got the Genesis. He always made a big deal about how fast the Genesis was because he honestly believed those shitty commercials back then. I tried to play Sonic 2 and 3 with him, but they were so shit compared to Super Mario World.

Ristar is a good game though. Way better than Sonic ever was.
>>
>>333274473
>It's another "I can't into games before gen 5" thread.
I played Super Metroid and Mega Man X for the first time last year and they were fantastic.

>Just play it like every other platformer and don't worry about going FAST.
That defeats the point to me. Without speed it doesn't seem like it has anything else going for it. I might as well replay the Mario games.
>>
>>333274473
Maybe his monitor had horrible display lag
>>
>>333273271
>hold right
>hit a wall
>"WOOOW this game is shit I should be able to hold a button and go fast what the fuck is this shit"
>>
>>333274506
I'll try out Ristar.

>>333274749
>hold right in an attempt to gain speed because that is the ONLY thing going for this game
>hit a wall
>Damn that's underwhelming - I'll go play SMB3, SMW, and Ristar now
>>
>>333274817
>I'll try out Ristar.

Forgot to mention Pulseman. It's like a cross between Megaman X and Ristar. I fucking love that game.
>>
>>333274606
But it's actually a great game. The point isn't to simply accelerate until you're satisfied.
>>
>>333273271

You just suck. Also you started with the second half of a game like a retard.
>>
>>333275468
I suck at a lot of games but they're still fun. Sonic is boring.

>Also you started with the second half of a game like a retard
I just loaded Sonic 1 and it's the same shit.
>>
>>333275526
Do you need a video or something to show you how to play?
>>
>>333275943
Wouldn't it just show the person jumping on enemies and shit? What's there to show?
>>
>>333275526

Well this game is not fun if you suck at games. Play something casual instead and leave /v/, this place isn't for you.
>>
>>333276101
>Well this game is not fun if you suck at games
How good do you have to be until Sonic games are fun, and what makes them fun?

>leave /v/, this place isn't for you.
I like a lot of games /v/ likes.
>>
>>333276015
You apparently don't know what to do with yourself when you inevitably reach a wall.
>>
Try Sonic Generations OP. You can just press a button to go fast, that's what Sonic is about right? It's not about the physics that weren't possible on the SNES or the awesome feeling of movement and momentum. Maybe you can try garbage like SMW and enjoy a nice obstacle course.
>>
>>333276252
When you reach a wall Sonic halts, and then you slowly jump over the wall. And then you start to gain speed. And then you hit another wall. Rinse and repeat.

Lots of fun.
>>
>>333276308
>It's not about the physics that weren't possible on the SNES
Nothing feels special about the physics.

>awesome feeling of movement and momentum
Good one. Being able to carry forward momentum is difficult unless you have played each level enough to know where the proper spots to jump are.

Unless you're moving so slow that you can see obstacles and clear them without losing speed, then the game is just pointless. Go play Mario or something.
>>
>>333276015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io90R-1BiRA
>>
>>333276334
Yes. It is fun playing around with the physics and making you accelerate so that you can just jump over the wall in the first place. If you want to go fast (which is not even the point) you have to earn it.
>>
the best zones in the classic games to me are
1 starlight zone
2 chemical plant
3 carnival night or ice cap
S&K sandopolis
CD Stardust Speedway
what are yours?
>>
>>333276308

There's nothing in any Sonic game that wasn't possible on the SNES retard. Imagine seeing a deluded Sega fanboy from 1991 in 2016.
>>
ITT: People complaining about old sanic games not going fast
Kill yourselves people. You need to git gud and know the level to go fast also have nice reflexes to avoid walls and different obstacles if you wanna keep your speed going.
>>
>>333276525
Oh yea I've seen the speedruns and they make the game look awesome. But getting to the point where you can clear levels that quickly would take ages. The base game isn't fun enough to justify the time investment to speedrun it.

>>333276567
To each their own because I couldn't give less of a fuck about the physics. They feel unremarkable. In other words you have to earn having fun when playing Sonic. OK, but I could go play games that are satisfying/rewarding from the beginning.
>>
>>333276467
>Nothing feels special about the physics.

Oh really? What do you think is "not so special" about the physics? I bet you know all about it. Sure, now they don't seem special. But it had no competitor at the time. They ARE special. It doesn't matter whether you think they "seem" like it.

>Good one. Being able to carry forward momentum is difficult unless you have played each level enough to know where the proper spots to jump are.

So? What makes you think you deserve to go fast perfectly all the time? The point is you are free to try and mess up.
>>
>>333276334
What about jumping over those walls?

>>333276467
>Being able to carry forward momentum is difficult unless you have played each level enough to know where the proper spots to jump are.
Unless you just hit a red spring or did a full speed spin dash, it's pretty easy to avoid the obstacles ahead of you.
>>
>>333276835
How about
>>
>>333276791
>I bet you know all about it.
No. I'm just telling you from my experience that as I move around, nothing about it feels special.

>It doesn't matter whether you think they "seem" like it
It definitely does. Who cares about how supposedly advanced the physics in a game are if they don't feel good.

>So? What makes you think you deserve to go fast perfectly all the time?
Who said anything about who deserves what? I'm just telling you that if I'm unable to go fast from the beginning, the game is boring. If the game is boring, why do I want to practice it until it becomes fun? That doesn't make sense.

There are challenging games that are also fun. Sonic isn't one of them (to me).
>>
>>333276767

It is not hard to get close to that kind of speed. You just have to not be a whiny stupid baby who gives up at the slightest resistance and obviously doesn't even understand the base physics. Hell, I bet you don't even know how to spin dash, the most basic way to go fast.
>>
>>333277000
>It is not hard to get close to that kind of speed.
I don't know about "hard" but it'd take time and who wants to waste time in a videogame while not having fun?

>Hell, I bet you don't even know how to spin dash, the most basic way to go fast
I do. Although I don't think Sonic 1 has it (just played it) unless I'm mistaken.
>>
>>333276695
Oh really? What do you know about it? Some Sonic-obsessed nerd on Neogaf called Kreljooc obviously DOES know what he's talking about; and he says it wouldn't be possible or very hard to do. Here: Read something from someone who has done research on his opinions instead of just copying opinions from imageboards

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979313
>>
>>333276569
>Stardust Speedway
God that fucking stage was great.
>>
>>333277128

>who wants to waste time in a videogame while not having fun?

People who are not casuals and shit at video games.
>>
>>333277231
That makes no sense.

Why bother practicing a game that isn't initially fun instead of a practicing a game that is fun from the beginning?
>>
OP, I think it's too late for you to play the Genesis games. You clearly can't wrap your head around it.
>>
>>333276569
Labyrinth and Scrap Brain
Chemical Plant, Oil Ocean and Wing Fortress
Hydrocity and Launch Base
Lava Reef
>>
>>333277342
What part am I having difficulty understanding?
>>
>>333276015
The fuck kind of logic is that? You DO know that's what you do on most platformers, right?

That's like saying an FPS sucks because you shoot things. It's like, what did you expect?
>>
>>333276981
Sonic is not even challenging. And why do you keep repeating that it "doesn't feel special" can you point to any other (contemporary) game that isn't a clone that feels the same?

>Who said anything about who deserves what? I'm just telling you that if I'm unable to go fast from the beginning, the game is boring.

You said (and are saying) that you should go fast from the beginning and don't think you should earn it. So like I said, go play Sonic Generations.

>why do I want to practice it until it becomes fun

I know this may seem strange to your Doritos-tainted brain, but the practice is the fun part. There is nothing wrong with learning to being good at a game.
>>
OP , i think you forgot that older games required something called SKILL in order to show off.
>>
>>333277348
didn't think I'd see someone else who enjoys water levels in Sonic
>>
>>333276467
>Good one. Being able to carry forward momentum is difficult unless you have played each level enough to know where the proper spots to jump are.
IT'S ALMOST LIKE YOU HAVE TO GIT GUD

SHOCKING, RIGHT

Do you also get mad when you can't beat a Mario level on your first try?
>>
>>333277586
I think Aquatic Ruin is pretty whatever though. I always take the upper path.
>>
>>333277508
You're reading wrong. If the game is only about jumping on enemies, I'd rather play a platformer that I enjoy.

>>333277523
>And why do you keep repeating that it "doesn't feel special"
By "special" I mean "uniquely good". It may or may not be unique. I don't care because what matters is if it feels good and to me it doesn't.

>that you should go fast from the beginning and don't think you should earn it.
I never said anything about "should". I'm only telling you that Sonic only seems enjoyable when you go fast (and never lose momentum), but because you don't go fast from the beginning, there's no reason for me to play. There are other fun games out there.

>but the practice is the fun part
The game has to be enjoyable during practice, but it's not. There are other games I've sucked at that I enjoyed practicing but Sonic isn't one.

>>333277646
There's no reason to git gud at an unenjoyable game (that only becomes enjoyable after practice).
>>
Sonic's speed was always just a marketing gimmick. Strip that away and you have a decent 2D (well, S3&K is decent, I don't enjoy the other Genesis era games nearly as much) platformer that is more based on momentum and slope physics compared to Mario's running and jumping.

I mean, zones like Hydrocity have very deliberate design; one moment you're moving around underwater jumping on enemies and trying to get on board those ropeways you can grab, a bit later you might find one of those boost pads that shoot you out at top speed through some loop-de-loops and have you run on top of the water surface with little need to actually control Sonic. It's there both to make you go "wow" and to get you to the next actual platforming section.
>>
>>333277207

Maybe you should take your own advice and read the comments to the page that guy links to.

http://trixter.oldskool.org/2008/12/05/blast-processing-101/

"Blast Processing" didn't do anything more than allow the Genesis to show more colours on the screen at once, which Sonic games didn't even make use of.
>>
Might I also add that these games look absolutely brilliant for something on the Mega Drive? Yes they don't look that impressive NOW, but at the time they were gorgeous (still are if you can appreciate such a thing). These games are more than TWENTY YEARS old OP. No shit you're less impressed by them than you would be then. But they are not "overrated" they are very impressive games for their time and deserve the praise they get. Additionally, if you didn't play them until now I'm going to suspect you're underage.
>>
>>333273271
>>333274606
>>333274817

This is bait right? Going fast is a reward for getting past platforming parts, you don't do it all the time
>>
>>333277997
yo I think the same thing about that stage.
>>
>Starts off with the second half of a full game
>Wow it's too difficult I can't gain speed

Play S3&K if you want lots of speed, Most of those zones in the Sonic 3 half let you get speed while getting good ebfore you get to the more difficult later stages. Which to be honest aren't even that difficult.
>>
>>333278436
I really don't understand what's so hard to comprehend about the game being boring unless you're going fast.
>>
>>333278264
I DID read the comments. Unlike YOU I did not stop reading as soon as I thought my point was proven. Why don't you read the rest you mongoloid?

>>333278012
If you can't appreciate the controls and physics, that's your fault. Others obviously can. Just don't play it if you don't like it. But don't claim they are "overrated" even though they objectively stood out at the time.

>>333278012
>I never said anything about "should".
>>
>I'm supposed to go fast. The memes said so
>>
File: Sonic G Loop.gif (2 MB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
Sonic G Loop.gif
2 MB, 320x224
>>333274817
>hold right in an attempt to gain speed because that is the ONLY thing going for this game
These bait threads will be the end of me.

Sonic has a slope based physics system that's much more complex than ordinary platformers like Super Mario World. The game was way ahead of its time and to this day there's few 2D platformers that have the depth of Sonic's mechanics. The game is about mastering these mechanics, through which speed is a reward. Usually a skilled Sonic player can play through a level more impressively than one can through Super Mario World.
>>
>>333278012

Don't you understand that everyone here laughs at you for being an ADHD-ridden casual with no ambition or determination?

Why do you still keep posting? This isn't the place for you, go back to some tumblr hugbox or youtube let's play comment section if all you want to do is have "fun" while sucking at games.
>>
>>333278547
>If you can't appreciate the controls and physics, that's your fault.
It's the sun and moon's fault actually.

>But don't claim they are "overrated" even though they objectively stood out at the time.
"Stood out" = Good

Nice try.

>I never said anything about "should".
Correct, I didn't.
>>
>>333278521
Seems like you bought in too much into the 90s ads and some 'rofl GOTTA GO QUICK xD' memes.
There's a lot more to Sonic than just holding right, going fast and clearing a level in 20 seconds.
>>
>>333278521
It's just a great platformer, what's not to get, the music is outstanding, the graphics are lovely, and it plays well, just play it like a mario game if you have so much trouble comprehending that you don't go fast all the time
>>
>>333276569
fuck chemical plant I could never beat that level as a kid. always fell in the water and drowned
>>
Can we talk about the GG games? I feel that Triple Trouble was the best one of them.
>>
>>333278212
>Hydrocity does this
>therefore I'll imply the games are always like this
>>
>>333278652
Skilled Sonic does look fun. Too bad sonic isn't initially fun though.

>>333278714
>everyone here laughs at you
First off you're attempting to appeal to a consensus to shame someone. You should go back to red_dit because you'll fit in there. Second, the people who frequent these boards are not threatening in the slightest.

>with no ambition or determination
Weird characterization since there are games I've sucked at but have kept playing until I became competent.

>>333278820
No it's just that the only time I've watched Sonic gameplay and it's looked enjoyable is when it's being speedrun.

>>333278828
I like the graphics and music but if I have to play it like a Mario game I might as well play Mario.
>>
>>333279129
>I like the graphics and music but if I have to play it like a Mario game I might as well play Mario.
Then just play a mario game, they are also amazing games, you just clearly don't get sonic
>>
>>333279129

>Initially

You're starting off with Sonic and Knuckles, which is halfway through Sonic 3.

If you start off with Sonic 3, then the first levels are simple and let you go fast in them, as you get accustomed to the mechanics so you can tackle the more challenging levels in Sonic and Knuckles
>>
File: 1349626060590.jpg (192 KB, 900x803) Image search: [Google]
1349626060590.jpg
192 KB, 900x803
>>333273271

Pay attention to your surroundings in the level, react appropriately and get good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4IdvyJRRH4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uc5YZgYp-U
>>
>>333279005
There's not much to say about the GG given they were short and kind of shit.

But Triple Trouble is the best one, I agree.

>>333279129
>red_dit
Reddit. Stop being such an obvious underage.

>muh instant gratification
Yeah, if working for it is too much for you, then you should go back to Mario.
>>
File: 1230546.png (91 KB, 639x479) Image search: [Google]
1230546.png
91 KB, 639x479
>>333278932
>he didn't take the secret path to avoid all the water
Come on fampai.
>>
>>333278805
You used the word "overrrated" you twit, not "good". And people think Sonic is good because it stood out and they thought it was fun to play. How hard is it to understand? The reasons why are already explained to you. ? Is it that hard to divorce your personal subjective taste from an objective appreciation of a game and what OTHER PEOPLE think of it? You know, other people? The people whose taste you were talking about when you called it "overrated" ?

Here's another thing: There is no such thing as a game being "overrated" just because you personally don't like it. When you realise that and pop out of your bubble, it DOES become your fault for not being able to appreciate for why people like a game.
>>
Play Vectorman, OP
>>
>>333279081
It's the most clear-cut, easily explainable example of it. Most zones have some sort of analog for the 'go-fast' parts, Marble Garden has the steep slopes, Carnival Night has the wind tunnels, etc. They also have their unique platforming gimmicks, Carnival Night has numerous examples with the balloons, bouncy floor/ceiling, spinning cylinders etc.

>>333279129
I kinda want to see you play Mega Man Zero now
>>
File: 1457618816445.jpg (27 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1457618816445.jpg
27 KB, 800x600
>>333276101
>Play something casual instead
>Implying Sonic isn't already casual
>>
>>333279542
>Reddit. Stop being such an obvious underage.
It was spam filtered, retard.

>Yeah, if working for it is too much for you
Nope, I've invested plenty of time into a game to git gud. Sonic isn't fun enough to justify that though.
>>
>>333279853
That's the best part, though. The guy is too casual for SONIC, of all things.
>>
>>333279947

You keep saying this over and over but you're still here.

Height of insanity. Or maybe getting told how much you suck is your fetish?
>>
>>333273271
Play Sonic CD. It is the end-all. If you do not enjoy Sonic CD, then you will not enjoy Sonic games.
>>
>>333279689
>You used the word "overrrated" you twit, not "good"
"stood out" = not overrated
See how that changed nothing?

>because it stood out
No.
>and they thought it was fun to play
Yes.

>Is it that hard to divorce your personal subjective taste from an objective appreciation of a game and what OTHER PEOPLE think of it?
Jesus Christ can you shut the fuck up? I'm aware of what (some) other people think of it. What does that have to do with anything? What are you even posting for?

>it DOES become your fault for not being able to appreciate for why people like a game.
So your point is that regardless of how much I enjoy it, I should appreciate how unique it is and why people like that uniqueness? Is that what this completely IRRELEVANT rant is about? Fucktard.
>>
>>333273271
Protip: "hold right to win" is just a meme, you actually have to pay attention to your surroundings and even explore some. Especially in 3&Knuckles, if you want to get the emeralds.

I'll confess I don't like 2 as much as everyone else seems to.
>>
>>333280195
Honestly I like watching people squirm because they don't know what to say to me so they repeat the same arguments/statements I've already addressed *tips fedora*
>>
>>333280256
>Sonic CD
>the end-all
>not Sonic 3 & Knuckles
>not even Sonic 2
>>
Every time I see a Sonic tread on /v/ it always have to be something negative about it, But don't you dare say anything bad about Mario or the drones will hunt you down. Pathetic
>>
>>333280331
>I'll confess I don't like 2 as much as everyone else seems to.
Not like that makes you unique or anything. The Sonic fanbase is basically split in half when it comes to deciding if S2 was better than S3&K or viceversa. Personally, I like S3&K better.
>>
>>333273271
Always try to go higher path. Don't suck at special stages.

Game is built for you to have the emeralds by the end.
>>
>>333280472
That's because you enjoy being correct. Kudos on that.
>>
File: NSMBW_Artwork_Mario.jpg (1013 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
NSMBW_Artwork_Mario.jpg
1013 KB, 3000x3000
>>333280401
I like Mario but I fuckin hate the Fanbase saying shit like "If you like Super Paper Mario you're retard and you deserve to die".
>>
>>333280256
>>333280373
yeah what the fuck are you talking about

sonic cd is for people who are hardcore at sonic
>>
>>333280472
I remember reading the Euro Nintendo magazine and it describing Sonic 3 as "laborious." I suppose Yuropoor game journalists have even shittier taste than ours?

I also never really got into CD, but I was pretty young when I played it and probably too stupid to get it.
>>
Sonic and knuckles is the worst 2D sonic game OP. You want to go fast? Have a PS3/360? Download the demos of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations. Or if you have a good PC just outright buy Generations and mod Unleashed into it (although the base game of Unleashed is an experience well worth playing). The only original sonic game worth a damn is 2. 1, 3, and sonic and knuckles are fucking terrible.

If you prefer 2D games, try the advance and rush series. 2D sonic but moves a lot faster usually.
>>
>>333281231
>try the advance and rush series
>>
>>333281231
>This entire post
Jesus how can one man have so much shit taste.
>>
>>333280358
But that's what you've been doing this whole thread.
>>
>>333282269
Typical. Now there's a few possible paths you'll take here. I'm going to ask you which arguments I haven't addressed, and you'll refer to ones I actually agree with, ones that are irrelevant, or ones that I have addressed. Get to it.
>>
>>333281231
Excuse me, 2 is the shittiest one. The levels are complete trash, the game is huge and unforgiving, there is no save feature so beating it sucks, the special stages are the worst in the series next to Heroes, and Mystic Cave Zone, Metropolis Zone and the final boss are complete trash.
>>
>>333273271
Sonic has always been hot fucking garbage.
The one thing it's good for is "le going fast :P" shit and it's really not even all that good at that. The only reason it's subsisted for so long is literal autism and the type of fucks that actually, unironically defend whoreshit like Sonic '06.
Not to mention it encompasses the entire cancer of the edgy, angsty teenagers, while Sonic himself is a cocky bastard that's supposedly super cool, and literal kids start acting like him cause HE'S SO COOL.

And you know what's funny? You cannot prove me wrong. I can bet I'll get this is bait's or underage b&'s but no real counterargument.
>>
>>333281231
Forgot to say, dont let the original games give you a bad impression of the series. My first time playing sonic was on the mega collection or whatever for gamecube, the one with all the old sonics on it. I bought it because the cover looked cool but dear lord were the games AWFUL. All I knew about sonic at the time was that he moved fast and had an attitude and frequently saved the world from doom. I replayed it then and replayed it now, and nope, theyre still terrible. The only one that has merit is Sonic 2 like I said.

BUT that wasnt enough to make me give up on Sonic. I later got the sonic adventure games and heroes and had tons of fun and still enjoy them today. Then I discovered sonic was on the GBA to and I got the advance trilogy and again had fun. Beautiful sprites, inventive levels and themes, and most of all, FAST. And you know what my number 1 reason for wanting a DS was? Sonic Rush. I was turning into a bigger sonic fan than I ever were a mario fan in a small amount of time.

Well skip over shadow the hedgehog and sonic 2006 because, they're not good games. I mean I've heard some people enjoy them and thats fine but they were kinda rushed out the door because of mismanagement and restructuring at Sega during that time. Fair game, every series has its low points.

But then Unleashed came out in 2008, just a mere 2 years after 06, and holy fuck it was a massive jump. A new gameplay style and level design catered to exclusively going fast, a competent hybrid 3D platformer and brawler with a surprisingly large setlist, my favorite game ost of all time, the best graphics in a Sonic game yet (and many games from this gen in fact), and it was the last sonic that had some story elements giving the game a whole epic feeling that Sonic has sorely lacked in years. I could go on with unleashed and other games but, you get the idea.

Sorry for blogging. TLDR; if you want fast 2D, try advance 2 or rush, if you want hyper fast 3D, try unleashed.
>>
>>333282610
Yeah my counter argument is , you dont like Sanic at all.
I like em, the first 3 and the advance series are solid and fun platformers.
the 3D are mixed bags. some like em some dont, im really not fond of the 3D ones. even generations 2D stage were clunky.
its still obvious you´re underage to not understand the appeal that sonic had
>>
File: Sonic G Slope.gif (2 MB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
Sonic G Slope.gif
2 MB, 320x224
>>333279129
>Too bad sonic isn't initially fun though.
It is fun. Initially, it plays somewhat like a regular platformer which is already fair amount of fun, but getting in touch with the physics makes it interesting. Then there's the fact that the environments and music are god tier, which makes the initial experience well worth it. It makes a great draw that inclines the player to explore the game more, and next thing you know you're playing decent. From there it's a natural progression.
>>
>>333276334
>Play Hyrocity Zone
>Land in water
>Lmao so slow and boring
>Get out of water
>Barrel to the end of the stage dashing round sick loops, running over water and being catapulted hundreds of feet into the air by pipes
Sounds like you are bad at video games OP.
>>
>>333283368
I love how all your gifs are just the same spot in green hill. None of this shit applies anywhere else in the game except maybe star light zone, which is haunted with shitty enemy placement and a lot of blocks.
>>
File: 1415940991113.png (250 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
1415940991113.png
250 KB, 600x473
>>333281231
>Sonic and knuckles is the worst 2D sonic game OP.
>worse than Sonic 4
>worse than Sonic Blast
Are you fucked in the head?
>>
>>333283509
There's plenty of nice usage of physics in Springyard Zone too.
>>
>>333282439
You keep saying it's not fun to begin with because you need to learn how to play the game to move quickly, but you haven't even questioned if going fast is even that rewarding in the first place.

Not only does holding right and jumping make you eventually hit a wall, but enemies too. Getting hit makes you lose rings and that ruins your chance at a special stage in Sonic 1 and 2. As for S3&K, there's a ton of shit to collect in order to complete the game 100% such as chaos emeralds and Super emeralds which you can only find in secret areas if you explore the levels.

Your just dogging on the game because you somehow can't turn off the 90's commercials in your head that makes you think you can go at light speed with no effort whatsoever. You're better off playing Generations like the other anons suggested because playing that game is still easy even if your blasting through them at 700mph.
>>
>>333283591
Explain why sonic 4 is bad without MUH PHYSICS XD because frankly, that one automated section with the flying cards in casino street is more memorable than the entirety of the genesis sonics.

Sonic 3D (THREE D) Blast isnt a 2D game, not sure why you said that
>>
File: Sonic G Spindash.gif (2 MB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
Sonic G Spindash.gif
2 MB, 320x224
>>333283584
The gifs are using Green Hill as an example of how the mechanics work. They apply anywhere in the game with slopes. Sonic 1 was lacking in this department, but Sonic 2 and even more so Sonic 3 play a lot more with slopes and leverage the mechanics a lot more in the gameplay. The gifs are making a statement for all the classics, not just Sonic 1. Here's Sonic 2 for you.
>>
>>333283838
The physics are shit.
>>
>>333274473

This. The "going fast" thing is pretty minor and is only really peppered throughout the game, it's not the core focus

It's a platformer.
>>
File: Sonic 4 List.png (78 KB, 1907x944) Image search: [Google]
Sonic 4 List.png
78 KB, 1907x944
>>333283838
Awful bait but okay, pic related sums it up.
>>
>>333283591
>Dissing on 3D Blast
I can understand Sanic 4, music was horrid , graphics were ass , and the level design wasn´t there.
but 3D Blast? cmon , that wasn´t a 2D game , it tried something different and the music was GOAT all around.
Its also my favorite.
>>
>>333283838
>Sonic 3D (THREE D) Blast isnt a 2D game, not sure why you said that
Sonic Blast, not Sonic 3D Blast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BldSK2IllU
Next you're going to ask why this game is bad because you're completely oblivious to what quality is.
>>
>>333284087
Sonic Blast, not Sonic 3D Blast.
See >>333284169
>>
File: 1428421077888.jpg (43 KB, 399x565) Image search: [Google]
1428421077888.jpg
43 KB, 399x565
I always liked the gamecube and dreamcast sonic games more than the old genesis games
>>
>>333283816
>but you haven't even questioned if going fast is even that rewarding in the first place.
This isn't an argument that was brought up before, so you're not doing a good job showing which arguments I haven't addressed/I'm squirming at.

>Your just dogging on the game because you somehow can't turn off the 90's commercials in your head
I have addressed this part though. The only time Sonic has ever looked enjoyable is during speedruns. I've seen normal gameplay and I've progressed through stages playing normally. But it's not enjoyable for me to do that. If I can't go fast then there's no point to me.

I am going to try out Sonic Advance 2 and maybe a modern Sonic though.
>>
>>333273271
Try sonic CD next, the biggest blunder of all
>>
>>333284087
Sonic Blast =/= Sonic 3D Blast

Two totally different games.
>>
>>333284265
>>333284368
Oh my bad, sorry senpai
>>
>>333283110
Oh no no, I can understand the appeal Sonic had, trust me. Specially in a time like the 90s. Does that make it ok they made him an arrogant douchebag?
The beginning of the end was when they switched to the new design that looks so much cooler and edgy. But they didn't have enough so they had to introduce edge fucking incarnate ie. Shadow, to up the coolness factor up.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I personally cannot stand any of the characters from this autismfest of a franchise. And the internet fanbase doesn't help, but that really isn't entirely their fault.
>>
>>333283906
XD

>>333284043
I dont care about of any that fluff. Sonic is about going fast and being a rollercoaster. Sonic 4 levels compliment this frequently and the air dash allows you to quickly pick up speed again if you fuck up along with having a better camera. The graphics, sound, and bosses are lackluster but the regular stages are better. The only obnoxious parts are the frequent homing chains. Your physics memes and pointless fluff like stupid fucking shields are irrelevant, sorry bucko.

>>333284169
Forgot about this game, as do most people forget the game gear games. Im sure theyre forgotten for a reason though...right, they're bad. I was refering to main games and in main game terms, sonic and knuckles is easily the worst of the 2D ones, and fuck, all throughout the 90s if go far enough
>>
2d genesis sonics are good games. but still pale in comparison to Mario Bros 3 and World
>>
>>333284510
>edgy

You don't know what this means. At all. Stop.
>>
>>333284665
Mario Bros 3 is more overrated than Sonic.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 749x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 749x512
>>333274817

>the 2d Mario games are good meme

They are trash, much worse than sonic. People only like them because they were all they had. Uninventive and bland, like the grey systems they came out on.

Seriously it's time to stop defending this junk.
>>
File: 6517202737_262587a321_o.jpg (815 KB, 1754x1240) Image search: [Google]
6517202737_262587a321_o.jpg
815 KB, 1754x1240
>>333284510
The appeal wasn't in "cool" or "arrogant douchebag". Or if anything, that was the most shallow and superficial appeal, which Sega was dumb enough to flanderize and strip everything else away.

Sonic had a ton of soul and style.
Had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaykX3Cie3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ZSrPIFETg
>>
>>333276569
>Sandopolis

Mate bar Mushroom Hill every last stage was better than that
>>
>>333284589
>Sonic is about going fast and being a rollercoaster
Too many kids have grown up actually believing this.
>>
>>333285031
I disagree. Lava Reef was the best stage though, best stage with best boss.
>>
>>333284589
>I dont care about of any that fluff.
You mean all the things that gave the games substance beyond the gameplay.
>Sonic is about going fast and being a rollercoaster.
Memey underage bait and I keep falling for it.
>the regular stages are better
Holy shit.
>Your physics memes are irrelevant
The physics literally are the gameplay in Sonic, it's the core of Sonic's 2D gameplay. Sonic 4 not only had awful Sonic physics, the movement and controls were shit in general for any game. It was riddled with bugs, Sonic moved along slopes awkwardly, Sonic handled moronically with sudden stops and strange accelerations.
>>
>>333284769
mario bros 3 is better than any sonic game. that's the point. i dont give a shit if you think its overrated
>>
>>333285469
Fuck off Movieblob.
>>
File: 1450646791125.jpg (45 KB, 652x362) Image search: [Google]
1450646791125.jpg
45 KB, 652x362
>>333284769

smw might be the most overrated game of all time. I don't understand how a game completely devoid of any type of challenge, especially a platformer, can be praised so much
>>
>>333284665
I agree with this, but I still think OP is a massive faggot.
>>
>>333285727
Because of the depth of the game play.
>Obtain cape
>Jump over entire stage
>Rinse and repeat
>>
File: 1458415603097.jpg (4 MB, 5900x1888) Image search: [Google]
1458415603097.jpg
4 MB, 5900x1888
>>333284665
Prove it.
>>
>>333285727
>>333285848
b-but muh star road
>>
>>333284926
>>333284926
Mario gives me a straight map and lets me go fast, Sanic makes me traverse a labyrinth and I never know where the fuck I'm going till I find the end
>>
>>333286482
>Hold right to win is now a good feature
>>
>>333285469
100% correct
>>
>>333286482
>Holding right to win is okay
>this is the state of /v/ now
just end me.
>>
>>333285959
WOAH HOLY SHIT THE SONIC STAGES HAVE VARIED ELEVATION

WOW BEING ABLE TO GO UP INSTEAD OF DOWN MAKES THE GAME WAY BETTER THAN BORING OL' "HOLD RIGHT" MARIO GAMES
>>
>>333286723
>>333286814
It's alright when Mario does it!
>>
Reminder to report Moviebob for all Mario related shit posting.
>>
>>333286864
the upper path is usually the shortest to the end goal in sonic games. Falling down a pit , or missing a jump in a sonic game usually results in being forced to go the lower path which is generally slower and harder than the upper path.
also
>HAVING VARIETY IS BAD
Kill yourself.
>>
>>333286723
>>333286814
When you cant see 5 feet infront of you knowing where you need to go is just good game design, add another 10 feet to the viewing radius and it wouldnt bother me
>>
>>333284674
>Shadow is not edgy
Pfff, ok bub.
>>
>>333287095
Oh my god that is fucking amazing!

BRB gonna replay Sonic and only access the upper levels! Ha Mario can't compete.
>>
>>333275526
He means you are supposed to play sonic & knucles along with sonic 3. On the genesis, you linked the cartrages and they made a complete game.
>>
>>333287378
I know, and I explained that I played previous entries that are complete/whole.
>>
File: 1392271639110.gif (1 MB, 292x238) Image search: [Google]
1392271639110.gif
1 MB, 292x238
Sonic is literally the only video game franchise where being terrible at the game is considered the fault of the game and not the fault of the player. Prove me wrong.
>>
Probably. Sonic should not have lasted as long as he has given the general quality of his games the past two decades.
>>
>>333287537
Well, Arin told me you're wrong, so there.
>>
>>333287537
The source of your pic is proof enough. I can't think of any situation where the player being terrible is the game's fault.

There may be a Sonic game where that's the case (Secret Rings perhaps), but the ones that people actually like don't fall into this as far as I know.
>>
>>333287537
what you're saying makes no sense
>>
>>333287162
>an anti hero and opposite of sonic to add drama is edge

Again. Stop. GameGrumps is funny at times, fair enough. But they are not the Bible of knowledge for all things Sonic. They take internet memes and spit them out for you. Do not take serious.
>>
>>333274817
>hit a wall

I love how this bullshit keeps getting repeated, yet I can't even see how you can do this in the original games if you aren't a retard who has bad reaction time.
>>
>>333282851
Ugh
>>
>>333282851
>the original games are bad because you can't go fast and hit a wall or spike and can't react to them.

>recommends Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance 2

Is this satire?
>>
File: 1436281046452.png (178 KB, 1190x906) Image search: [Google]
1436281046452.png
178 KB, 1190x906
>>333288686
>Shadow
>is
>NOT
>edgy
Are you legitimately stupid? Did you forget about the existence of his shitty game where he has akimbo guns and (albeit it's just the one Damn.) swears?
>>
File: 1427222187542.png (123 KB, 282x264) Image search: [Google]
1427222187542.png
123 KB, 282x264
>>333289945
>guns = edgy
>>
I remember playing Sonic 2 with my mom. One afternoon we set down, determined to beat the game.
26 continues later metal sonic fucked us up. I was just a wee lad and my mom was always losing it during boss fights.

What a fucking game.
>>
>>333289945
Actually Shadow says "damn" every time he gets hit in the game. He also tells Eggman he's gonna send him to hell.

Knuckles has a few damns in there as well. Sonic himself has one that I know of.

The whole game's existence is so strange to me. I do like it, although it could be been fine without the not so subtle language.
>>
File: 1265051803302.jpg (590 KB, 764x1012) Image search: [Google]
1265051803302.jpg
590 KB, 764x1012
>>333288248

OK, I'll make it simpler for YOU to understand. For example there are 2 Players (A and B) that play Sonic 1 in the Green Hill Zone:

Player A consistently gets under 1 minute for his time record and knows that the game IS good, due to his good technique and control which enables him to get a fast time.

(Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrlQZHJ-E8k)

Player B consistently gets over 3 minutes or more for his time record, due to him not paying attention to obstacles in the level and reacting accordingly and blames the game for his lack of co-ordination skills in a 2D platformer game.

Does the game mechanics allow the players to go fast? Which player has the better skill (i.e reaction and technique)? Which player through their experience has the most accurate opinion about the game?
>>
>>333290127
Realistic-looking guns and army vehicles in a cartoony world absolutely are edgy. If they had stuck with just the more sci-fi/fantasy weapons then it would've been fine, but it's impossible to say it's not edgy when he has a pump-action MP5.
>>
>>333290889
>Player B consistently gets over 3 minutes or more for his time record, due to him not paying attention to obstacles in the level and reacting accordingly and blames the game for his lack of co-ordination skills in a 2D platformer game.
the person who sucks isn't necessarily saying anything about what is to blame. the person who sucks is simply pointing out that unless you grind and git gud, the game is boring.

>Which player through their experience has the most accurate opinion about the game?
neither opinion is more "accurate". choosing to beat each level under a minute is a playstyle choice.
>>
>>333291093
how about the egg launcher?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (34 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
34 KB, 1280x720
>>333291093
Yeah, you know what, you're right. The world depicted in Shadow is way too cartoony for that kind of weapons and vehicles.

I mean, look at this shit. Westopolis looks like it was ripped right out of 90's Saturday morning cartoon.
>>
>>333286814
>>333286723
remember when that was the popular thing to say about sonic?

now its the contrary

>hurr i cant hold right to win!
>>
>>333290559
They made it because the fans wanted it.
>>
>>333288248
He's saying that people who are shit at the game say it's the game's fault, and that there's no other game series where this phenomenon occurs.
Which is wrong, but I guess it's possible that Sonic has this the worst.
>>
>>333273271
>Is Sonic overrated? I just tried playing Sonic and Knuckles on Retroarch and kept hitting walls as I tried to go fast.
It sounds like you're just bad.

Christ, the idea of running into walls in this game is inconceivable to me
>>
>>333291523
>listening to people who like sonic adventure 1&2 and shadow
they got what they deserved
>>
File: 1448298062281.jpg (177 KB, 1029x1425) Image search: [Google]
1448298062281.jpg
177 KB, 1029x1425
>>333291523
Are we talking about the fans that are very well known to be the autism pinnacle of the internet?
Yeah, that makes it perfectly fine then.
>>
>>333291216
>the person who sucks is simply pointing out that unless you grind and git gud, the game is boring.
This is literally the case for many video games today. Shit, entire franchises are built around this key element.
>>
>>333274606
>why play any other fps if I have call of duty.

This is how retarded you sound.
>>
>>333292117
no it's not
Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.