[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pros and cons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 600x337
Pros and cons?
>>
>Pros
None
>Cons
Everything
>>
>Pros
I didnt buy one
>Cons
marketers are in a frenzy on this board because nobody bought one
>>
>Pros
mousepad is good for mouse games and probably okay as a right stick
>cons
no physical dpad
the dpad and stick are switched
the buttons and trackpad are switched

why are they in those places
>>
>pros
super configurable, like god damn you can set it up in so many fucking ways
Because of this, the trackpads can do a bunch of different shit that makes them more bearable
Adjustable haptics on pads make them nice
Extra buttons on the back are cool
Once you do use the thing for like 5 hours and get used to the pads, it becomes pretty nice to use

>cons
trackpads take a really long time to get used to
Big Picture Mode is required for a lot of junk to run, can be annoying
face buttons are a bit small
no physical d-pad
trackpads
>>
>Pros
I can use my desktop from my bed with the controller

>cons
I can't play games with it
>>
>Pros
Feels great. Perfect size, shape, and heft for me.
Trackpads have pretty accurate analog control.
Highly customizable.

>Cons
Have to use Big Picture.
Trackpads suck if you want to use them as a D-pad. Too clicky.
Very steep learning curve, both in customization and in using it well.
Uses disposable batteries in <current year>. What the hell.

Overall I like mine. It's a pretty good gamepad and a great mouse replacement when I don't feel like using a mouse (such as while laying down). Hell, I like it just for its customizability. If you like autistic levels of tweaking settings you'll love it.
>>
>Pros

I've heard its one of the best controllers for running emulators.
The most configurable.
HAPTIC FEEDBACK.

>Cons.

is meant to work with aa batteries (seriously 6th gen tech.)
Your going to have to configure it for ever game you play.
Probable waste alot of time testing out inputs. (meaning if you want to return a game within the 2 hour time limit you might spend 30 minutes of that time getting this controller to function properly.)
Might get dropped by valve.
Stuck in autistic valve cult communities.
Glorified trackpad nipples.
"trackpad" acceleration (which you'll have to configure)

All in all for $69.99 cad it seems far too expensive, expect valve to dump these fuckers for like $20-30 a pop once steam machines collapse and xbox one is lead controller of vr/p.c. they'll probable flush out their old stock and release a steam controller 2.0 as hl3 and portal 3 are launched.
>>
We have gone over this three fucking times of why you shouldn't buy it now fuck off already you shill and check the archive.
>>
File: SC 1.jpg (696 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
SC 1.jpg
696 KB, 1920x1280
>>333231502
>Pros
Lots of customization for controls
Grip bumpers feel great
Haptic feedback is awesome
Fantastic for Media use
Useful for browsing 4chan from bed (also reading manga)

>Cons
Bad for multiplayer shooters
Face buttons feel odd at first, keep trying to press A instead of B, and B instead of A
Top triggers pretty much become useless with grip bumpers
Settings up games to feel right takes time(But once done feels better then controller counterparts)
>>
>>333231502
>Pros
Good for 3rd person shooters that it works on
>Cons
Not ideal for anything else
>>
Probably will just refund Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>333232487
>69.99
Canadian? I got mine today for 49.99
>>333232561

It was either Steam controller or buy wireless adapter and battery for my Xbone controller. I wanted to try something new instead and I'm very pleased with it.
>>
>>333232487
>Your going to have to configure it for ever game you play.
A valid complaint, but community settings circumvents that if you can find one that you like. Usually the most popular one doesn't suck.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 640x960
>>333232668
fucking hell

Planning on using for witcher, fallout, and pillars
>>
File: IMG_2209.jpg (887 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2209.jpg
887 KB, 2592x1936
>>333231502
AMA
>>
>>333232767
>Most popular ones don't suck
Pretty spot on, I started up Dark Souls 1, grabbed the highest rated config. Change the aim from trackball to camera controls and Wide settings. Shit felt amazing.
>>
>Pros
Works with everything even if it doesn't have controller support
More accurate than a stick
Batteries last insanely long (it goes almost a month of constant use before recharging)
Fairly lightweight compared to the competition
The big rounded grips actually feel pretty nice
>Cons
You need to fiddle with the settings for every game, even if it has a preset.
Touchpad does not make a good dpad
Not nearly as good at making large sweeping motions as a stick
If you don't have tiny girl hands, you will constantly be hitting the paddles on the back of the controller
You HAVE to use steam for everything
Does not work correctly if you do not use big picture mod
The concave design feels really weird after decades of "normal" controller shapes.
Pretty much everything these days already has controller support built in
Feels like a cheap Chinese knock of, plastic wise.

All in all, works well enough that I haven't bothered to buy a new xboner.
>>
>>333232982
Sameguy, I tried playing Max Payne 3 with this and it is fucking hard. I'm not even going to give Gyro a try.
>>
>>333232778
>steam controller

full retard
>>
>>333232982
You're not the only one with the steam controller faggot
>>
>>333231865
>why are they in those places

probably to train you to only use a steam controller, so when it breaks you shell out another 50 dollars for another steam controller rather than say 'fuck it, il just pay 10 bux for a chinese knock off controller'

volve are giant manipulative kikes like that.
>>
>>333233190
Let me feel special goddamnit.
>>
File: 1404009622660.jpg (63 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1404009622660.jpg
63 KB, 480x360
does anyone else feel like the trackpad buttons are a bit too hard to press?

maybe I have weak fingers, but holy shit, it's such a struggle
>>
File: Steam_controller_mark_2.jpg (49 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
Steam_controller_mark_2.jpg
49 KB, 610x343
>Pros
Gyro
Haptic feedback
Mouse Region
All the insane button emulation

>Cons
Top rated settings are usually insane. Even if its gyro setup, it will have values for people with the shakiest hands in the world, so its weird to use
>>
>>333232982
was it worth it? do you like it? i finally pick one up with the DS3 bundle. I've heard you can use it for emulation so long as you run it through steam big picture mode. tried any non-steam games and have any know how on it?
>>
>>333233269
They are definitely a lot stiffer than a "normal" controller.
>>
>>333231634
[/Thread]

It's shit, sadly.
>>
Can the controller be used as a wireless mouse on the desktop? It would be nice to have a controller that can act as a mouse if I just wanted to plug my computer into my tv
>>
>>333233327
Happy they added the analog stick, that shit would have been strange.
>>
>>333233531
Yes, there are also lots of pre-designed shit from the community.

I have mine so when I rotate the left touch pad it will scroll. Right trigger is left mouse click and right touchpad is mouse.

Shit is comfy.
>>
>>333233387
not him, but I ran civ IV and stalker with it. Playing civ with a controller just felt so wrong, but it worked ok.
Stalker actually felt pretty good with a controller, obviously I had to decrease the difficulty a bit to compensate for the shitty controller accuracy. But was still pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>333233617
Shit that sounds pretty nice. Can you type with it?
>>
>buy ds bundle for discount controller
>play ds3 a bit on release
>refund afterwards
And you can still return the controller too in the month
>>
>>333233780
At least in steam you can, has two "keypads" assigned to the track pads.
>>
>>333231865
Because the other controllers are copyrighted.
Yes, you can copyright button locations and names.
>>
File: steam controller.png (53 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
steam controller.png
53 KB, 800x449
>>333233780
Yes, each touchpad turns into half a keyboard, you move it around to type. triggers are used for enter the character you are over.

It's a little odd at first but great compared to anything else like it.

>>333233921
One of the updates lets it, but you'll have to configure the button to enable it.
>>
I saw someone use it on Train Simulator and it looked really good there. One button press instead of reaching for Ctrl+H, or some other stupid button when you're trying to drive.
>>
Own two of them, and I have had experience with several older logitech gamepads, and a xbox 360 controller. Currently love them. Very useful. So far I've played

-Dishonored
-Hitman Absolution and Blood Money
-Civ V
-Gauntlet (Local with GF)
-Tombraider
-Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Local)
-Broforce (local)
-This war of mine
-Max Payne 3 (although using the mouse made trick shots far easier)
-Rocket league
-Castle crashers (local)
-Renegade ops (local)
-Couple of random worms games
-Distance

And some other shit I don't remember. Some games were a pain in the ass to setup, but even the gf has had no issues using the controller. Any third person/first person shooter still benefits from using the keyboard and mouse, so I wouldn't use it to be competitive in games like that. Hard modes on some games might be a bit difficult too. But you have to remember that those games were designed for the K/M setup.
>>
I wish they had put a traditional dpad instead of a stick.

Also the should improve the rapid fire functions.
>>
>>333235417
Just have to add, I got my first controller back in December. The second I got a month after that. I have probably about 150 hours on it.
>>
>pros
It's the absolute best for controlling your pc from your couch. As long as you have steam running, you can map any button to whatever you want, and it has a really nice onscreen keyboard.
>cons
May be a con for some, but I was hoping that it would be smaller.
>>
>D4
So just tried this out, It's nice being able to sit back and play this game with the gyro.
>>
>>333231502
Pros;
Way fucking better for FPS games than traditional controllers.

Cons;
No one who plays FPS games on a console gives a shit.
>>
Pros:
>more precise than xbox controller
>good to use once you get the hang of it
>best alternative to the real deal when emulating a Wii on dolphin
Cons:
>very steep learning curve
>need to be in big picture mode to get the post out of it
>won't work with games that aren't played through steam
>not as precise as m+kb (even though its intended to be used along side it)

That being said, I love mine and use it whenever I want to play on my big screen
>>
File: test.webm (787 KB, 893x623) Image search: [Google]
test.webm
787 KB, 893x623
>>333234083
It takes some getting used to, but I love it.
>>
>>333235982
If you have steam running in the background you can use it for games outside of steam. Use it to play hearthstone and tried it out for a bit in diablo 3 (but fuck that, I wanted my mouse back)
>>
>>333236196
Yeah but if you play a game through the Xbox store, for example, (which i will be doing for quantum break) it doesn't have nearly any of the benefits as if playing it through steam
>>
File: IMG_3774.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3774.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>333231502
I've had this thing since christmas or about a month after christmas. I think I bought it because I needed a controller for the Dragon's Dogma pc port

>Pros
pretty much works on everything
best emuator controller
>Cons
not really plug and play
expect to tinker around the settings
have to use steam (might not be a con but whatev)
takes time to get used to

not really going to replace the m+kb but it wasn't designed to. If you have patience to learn how it works then go for it and get the sc.

I really miss the borders that stop the analog stick from the playstation and xbox controllers but you pretty much just get used to it.

Works well with 3person games

If you are going to try this thing just buy it with an open mind and not the typical negative/contrarian /v/ bullshit.

>Games I've tried so far
Elite: Dangerous
Souls series
cities skylines
Total War: Rome 2 and Attila
Dragons dogma
Vermintide
Street fighter v
MKX
Fallout 4
>>
>pros
trackpads and gyro feel nice and accurate
integrated with steam, can use outside of games, easy to remap and customize lots of functions

>cons
bumpers are way too stiff
uncomfortable
buttons are tiny and feel like shit
triggers have too short of a pull so are not very precise

I guess I like it since I got it 40% off with dark souls 3 and I like using the gyro for driving in games. But it's not great for a basic console game controller
>>
also the """"haptics"""" are way too fucking loud and you can barely feel them. They are more like clickers or buzzers.
>>
>>333237771
I think your controller is broken, I've had mine maxed out and couldn't hear them.

And even on the lowest setting I could feel them.
>>
>>333231502
>Pros
Everything
>Cons
Nothing
>>
>>333237771
anon, you can set haptics level at settings
>>
>>333231502
Pros:
Works with games that don't native support controller

Cons:
Will take you 10-20 hours to get used to it, after which you will be just as good with it as an Xbox One/360 controller and not any better. So what's the point?
Buttons are cheap plastic
It's a pretty big, awkward stretch to move your thumb from the right trackpad to the X button on the faceplate in the heat of combat and recenter it back onto the trackpad.

Don't buy it. It's really not that great. If they ever release a 2nd generation it might be ok, but this generation isn't worth it.
>>
File: 1412783519144.gif (628 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1412783519144.gif
628 KB, 640x360
>>333231502
>Pros:
comfy
>Cons:
can't get any comfyer

Bed gaming at its best senpaitachi
>>
I don't get why valve is making shit like this that nobody asked for instead of video games.
>>
>>333238243
too loud even on low so they are useless unless you like hearing a creaking door every time you press anything

much louder than my phone haptics. They should have just used the same kind in smartphones or mounted them better
>>
>>333236548
how do the Souls and Skylines play??
>>
File: get.png (527 KB, 854x439) Image search: [Google]
get.png
527 KB, 854x439
>>333231502
CONS: No cheeto dust
>>
>>333238272
Tell me how you play Pillars and Wasteland 2 with Xbox controllers.
>>
Anyone know hot to setup the right pad to work like a proper analog stick?

I can't seem to figure it out.

>horizontal line
>everything on the top only goes up, even if you lower your finger a bit it continues to go up but slower

Right now if I lower my finger a bit after dragging it to the top it will start to instantly go down. Instead of just slowing the pace of going up.
>>
>Pros
Configurable to an insane degree. Pretty much works with any game you throw at it if you are willing to put time into configuring it. Even genres that suck shit on controllers like shooters are great with the Steam controller. Grip buttons are fucking great.
>Cons
This really needs more games with official support, because I don't want to have to figure out a configuration for every single fucking game I own. Certain genres, like shooters, I can usually just copy and paste an existing configuration and be ready pretty quick, but other games can be a nightmare. The face buttons are terrible and tiny as fuck. The touchpads are useless for anything but ancillary input or mouse emulation, don't even try using these things as analog sticks or a dpad. Won't be as good as a mouse & keyboard for competitive shooters unless you're willing to put in a lot of practice to get good with the thing. Also, hope you like Big Picture Mode!

It's the ultimate controller if you want to get comfy but don't want to give up control. Just be prepared to fuck around with it a lot, at least until more games come with official support. Also, shooters with the thing is fantastic but completely alien to start.
>>
so basically this thing is inferior to a xbox one gamepad?

Why fucking bother?
>>
>>333245204
Bait
>>
>>333232718
You can connect an Xbone controller to your PC with a phone charger...
>>
>>333231502
>pros
nice trackpads
big battery life
>cons
feels like the cheapest $10 madcatz controller ever made
>>
>>333245495
Yea, which is annoying as fuck laying in my bed, because if I twist and turn it becomes unplugged.

>...
you are a faggot.
>>
>>333231502
Pros
> It's a controller for the PC
Cons
> It's probably got the versatility of a controller compared to a computer
Pro/con
>Depending on how you look at it, that might be a good thing.
>>
>>333247246
>> It's probably got the versatility of a controller compared to a computer
what
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.