[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just got this on GoG. currently installing. what am I in for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 16
just got this on GoG. currently installing.
what am I in for? looks fun as hell.
>>
>>333222849
One of the defining games of my teenage years.
>>
>>333222849
DO
NOT
USE
THE PLANET-BUSTER MISSILES.

They look cool, they destroy shit cool, but DO NOT USE THEM.
>>
>>333222849
The sound design and the faction leaders give this game so much personality.
>>
>>333223116
He has to find out for himself. Its one of the ways to end a game in a spectacular way
>>
Mirium is your friend. Trust her.
>>
File: hKYrv.png (148 KB, 517x387) Image search: [Google]
hKYrv.png
148 KB, 517x387
Best 4X game ever made.
>>
I read so much SMAC fan fiction.
>>
The best video game yet made, for real.
>>
I used to memorize quotes from Zakharov to sound smart when I was like 12.
>>
>>333222849
It's Civ on an alien world.

and it's fucking amazing
>>
>>333223537
Fucking fundie, get mindraped.

On the flipside read up on the hidden side of the leaders. PeacekeeperLal seems pleasant enough until you find out he cloned his dead wife and basically forced her to love him.
>>
>>333227432
where do i read up on this.
>>
>>333227498
Through researching, the quotes you can read and hear. I can't remember clearly but Miriam only warns about bastardized man/machine monsters that have lost all humanity, they show up in lore but have no impact on play.

If anybody has a link id love to read up on them.
>>
>>333222849
Best classic 4X.
>>
>>333222849

so much xenofungus removal

terraforming is strong with this one
>>
>>333227035
You also hated the shit out of Miriam didn't you?
>>
>>333228425
Only plebs take her as a stupid God Bothering nutjob. Read a little more on her.
>>
>>333228425
Some would ask, how could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much that is evil. They have missed a greater conundrum: why would a perfect God create a universe at all?
— Sister Miriam Godwinson

Hinting that she believes that there is no God? Hidden doubts and fears.
>>
>>333227498
I loved my chosen. How then to face the day when she left me? So I took from her body a single cell, perhaps to love her again.
— Comissioner Pravin Lal, "Time of Bereavement" (Accompanies discovery of the "Biomachinery" tech)
>>
>>333222849
>>333223942
This also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY57ErBkFFE
>>
>>333229220
The wicked have told me of things that delight them, but not such things as your law has to tell.

Confessions - Saint Augustine.
>>
>>333228570
>>333229220
Yes, we know already, Miriam wasn't a tech hating, overzealous luddite, she was cautious and rightfully fearful of transhumanism and believed that faith would keep her and her flock safe. She tried to be a spiritual leader for the good of Planet but had to rely on other typical religious methods to maintain an influence into further periods of time (should it be canon that she even makes it that far, I think she dies rather early in some of the books)
>>
>>333228570
>>333230210

Zak becoming more and more zealous was glorious in contrast.
>>
>>333229797
I'm pretty sure the SMAC devs are secretly from the future.
>>
>>333230210
>Miriam was actual cool and so is religion.
Neo 4chan please die.
>>
>>333231358
Read the datalinks, or better yet report for nerve stapling.
>>
>>333231559
Don't worry, I get you - that guy is a retard. In my last game I ended up in a war against her because I had allied myself with Santiago, I was UN. The siege of New Jerusalem is something I will never forget. What a game.
>>
>>333231559
Contrarian. No one had a good word to say about Miriam when this game came out and for the last 10 years.

She gets canonically nuked because she is a lunatic.
>>
>>333230508
You get hints at Zak's instability early on with the discovery of some tech related to the mind worms. He absolutely abhors the very idea of the things and wants to exterminate ever last one of them, regardless of Diedre.
>>333231358
>>Miriam was actual cool and so is religion.
Where did I say either of that? I said she isn't some ludicrous religious nut that everybody paints her out to be. She wasn't some radical Imam crying for the death of all non-believers, she was urging for caution in the face of this new technology lest it become another apple from the Garden of Eden, casting our souls forever from the glory of heaven. And I still mentioned that she is still a militaristic faction, with her winning coming from overwhelming her opponents with inferior firepower but endless masses, which is characteristic for undereducated religions.
>>
>>333231358
>Zak was good
See, we need a test subj- I mean citizen to test whether our newly created AssWorm can perform his job.

Mind if we try?
>>
All they literally had to do was remake SMAC, yet we got Beyond Earth instead. The nightmare must stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lva8L-J8x04
>>
>>333231795
>she was urging for caution in the face of this new technology lest it become another apple from the Garden of Eden
You arnt quoting anything but you are talking like a complete faggot.
>>
>>333222849
Anon, Supply crawlers are one of the most broken things in the entire 4x genre.
>>
>>333231905
Yes because god forbid that I try and raise the standards of the board a bit in regards to the best Civ game ever made. Heavens, stop me before I try and use big words and basic metaphors around anon ever again.
>>
Best 4x Lore ever

Y/N?
>>
All the faction leaders each had some sort of nefarious background.

Zarkov- fucking around with experimental weapons
Morgan- nepotism and profit-pushing
Santiago- Torture
Lal- resurrecting and enshrining dead wife
Dedrie- fucking with mindworms
Miram- zelotry
Shen - everything
>>
Post your government types.

>Politics
Democratic
>Economy
Planned
>Values
Knowledge
>Future Societies
Eudaimonic

The happy life is thought to be one of excellence;
now an excellent life requires exertion, and does not consist in amusement.
If Eudaimonia, or happiness, is activity in accordance with excellence,
it is reasonable that it should be in accordance with the highest excellence;
and this will be that of the best thing in us.

Aristotle.
>>
>>333232296
Whatever gave me population booms.
>>
>>333232237
>Torture
You can't crush your enemies and hear the lamentation of their women without breaking a few eggs, anon.
>>
Oh, if you like the setting, check out "The Jesus Incident" by Frank Herbert.
>>
>>333232237
They are all shits. Everyone of them will attack you if you pull into the lead. All of them want power but they just seek it in different ways.
>>
>Paradox games are either le ebin map painting or railroaded as fuck
>Civ games are easy as fuck on diff levels where the AI doesn't cheat, and the combat is always guaranteed to be shit
>>
>>333232439
Check out the entire destination void series while you're at it.
>>
>>333232237
I will take Lal over any other faggots any day. At least he won't bother me.
>>
>>333231795
It is implied that Zak's grip on his mind began to weaken with whatever happened in Lab 3, i can not find the quote. And his associates developing viral weaponry then refusing to allow faction inspectors yo view the labs.
>>
>>333232237
Because they were well developed characters and factions, something that modern Civ games don't have.
>BE decided to have psuedo-countries still be factions leading to weird clashes and stereotypes
>AC made ideologies define factions allowing them to unique and whole, demonstrating both positives and negatives fairly
Also
>Morgan- "We should take and eat our fill" fuck the future generations
>Zakharov- Hey, you're a random citizen, how would you like to undergo this radical gene therapy to make you half Planet-tree?
>>333232671
Presumably whatever testing that lead to the separation of Aki-Zeta 5 from the University.
>>
>>333232237
Santiago wan not torture you drone it was Spartan Eugenics and utter self reliance with no welfare state in which you starve rather than help the weak.
>>
>>333232483
That is my main complaint with SMAC when I was replaying it recently. Low difficulties are laughably unchallenging and higher difficulties revolve around getting a tech lead and mowing down hordes of enemy units that just move towards you like zombies with no way to demand peace. You are forced into a conquest victory. unless you fight a tedious defensive war.
>>
>>333232237
Zakarov was zealotry, you missed the point entirely. Utter faith and belief in science and breakthrough (read miracle) after breakthrough. Unwilling and unable to understand the moral (logic) and ethics (reasoning).

Go play it again without skipping the dialog.
>>
So are we going to mention the expansion factions directly of just skirt around them except for the lore/tech they bring.
>>
>>333233384
I've honestly never played the expansion.
>>
>>333233303
Zarkov was unethical research which led to bad things. Santiago just accuses him of weapons research as an excuse to go to war. Mirium was blind zealotry. She was terrified of anything that could replace her god.
>>
>>333233384
Boring and superficial for the most part, most are just tiny expansions of existing ones. Not nearly the depth (or any) of lore the others had.
>>
>>333231795
Lol, I forgot the thing about Zak and mind worms. Is there a place I can easily read every single quote in AC?
>>
>>333233445
Its kinda worth it. The newer factions aren't as fleshed out as the older ones, and are much more powerful for the most part but it brings some new tech and secret projects that are fun to mess with.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quotes/SidMeiersAlphaCentauri
>Favorite Quote(s) I know its hard to choose
My favorite has to be the project PYRRHO one where the brain in the jar starts wondering if his life has meaning even if he is or is not a brain in a jar.
>>333233597
>>
>>333232958
Yeah seriously, is wanting a 4x game that is challenging, fun and not something as autistic as Aurora asking too much?
>>
>>333233575
Fuck me, on the surface that is what it appears but go slightly deeper and read the lore. It is all there plane as day, she feared (rightly) what could replace us not God. With Zakarov wanting to awaken Planet-God.
>>
>>333233909
Yeah she feared the good ending, was the most aggressive faction by far no matter what you do and gets canonically nuked because no one likes her.
>>
>>333233714
CAnt find no mindworm quote from Zak there
>>
Who would you destroy first? The Jesus Freaks or the Hippies?
>>
Last post before I'm heading off to bed, will check to see if thread is still up in the morning but take a look at the Alpha Centauri book for gurps pdf on 4shared cause it has some good fucking lore shit for it. 4shared com/web/preview/pdf/kfEsIbTn
>>333234087
I could have sworn it was there. I'll go hunting for it later.
>>
>>333234357
Depends who was adjacent. If you have the orange rash beside you then teching straight to particle impacters and rovers was an easy win over her every time no matter the difficulty. She would always declare war before she had that tech or could counter it.

Never figured out the hard counter to Deirdre. Usually tried to be friends with her in the early game since green democracy was useful on the factions I played and that kept her happy.
>>
>still no SMAC total conversion mod for BE
>>
>>333234087
>>333234382
Here http://alphacentauri2.info/wiki/Blurbsx.txt

Let the Gaians preach their silly religion, but one way or the other
I shall see this compound burned, seared, and sterilized until every
hiding place is found and until every last Mind Worm egg, every last
slimy one, has been cooked to a smoking husk. That species shall be
exterminated, I tell you! Exterminated!

-- Academician Prokhor Zakharov,Lab Three aftermath
>>
>>333234695
Thank you. I thought it was earlier into the game than that but I suppose as the University I always hit shit faster anyways.
>>333234663
You can only polish a turd so much I have no idea how much civ games can be moded so its probably possible for someone to recreate SMAC but just takes time.
>>
>>333234695
Another of my favorites:

>Nanomatter Editation

'Abort, Retry, Fail?' was the phrase some wormdog scrawled
next to the door of the Edit Universe project room. And when
the new dataspinners started working, fabricating their worlds
on the huge organic comp systems, we'd remind them: if you see
this message, ALWAYS choose 'Retry.'

-- Bad'l Ron, Wakener, Morgan Polysoft
>>
>>333234564
>Never figured out the hard counter to Deirdre
Trance/Empath + High Morale. If you're playing SMAX then don't forget Resonance armor. Santiago will typically push Deirdre's shit in pretty good with her elite troops.

The biggest problem with fighting Deirdre is that if you're running morale penalties from social policies, she will absolutely skullfuck you with her mindworms.
>>
>>333235334
I don't get this one.

Mind elaborating?
>>
>>333227432
>>333229707
>retards still think this was literal
He's talking about Earth.
>>
>>333235459
Yeah I figured but those types of soldiers and social choices would cripple me against other factions so Deridre was always my best bud until she decided I was too far out in front.

Then I would curb stomp her.
>>
>>333235643
It's entirely possible that it's both. He clings to past beauty and stability, which is his wife, his planet, his UN. She symbolizes the rest.
>>
File: Dos_Abort_Retry_Fail.png (5 KB, 220x112) Image search: [Google]
Dos_Abort_Retry_Fail.png
5 KB, 220x112
>>333235530
Oh... oh my god.
You kids have never used DOS. Hell you've probably never even used Win 3.1.
Good fucking lord.
Now I feel old as shit.
Fuck.
>>
>>333235870
I dont really see anything wrong with cloning a dead person. Of course they wont be the same since you would be raising them to be someone they are not.

You would have to kind of release them into society and then catch up with them later so that they can develop a personality naturally.

>Random phone call.
>Lal thinks your cute.
>>
>>333235530
"Abort,Retry,Fail" is a common software message asking the user for input when something goes awry.

Read a bit into it, matter editation in the "Edit Universe" room fabricating their worlds.

They are editing "Universes"/Cities like we edit software.
>>
>>333236027
...he's not confused by the commands, he's confused as to what that means in context of the AC quote and why it's important
>>
>>333236027
you know you could have just said "It's a dos reference" instead of acting like a melodramatic faggot. This isn't your blog grandpa.
>>
>>333236027
I actually did. But it's been like 20 years.

>>333236105
I see, thanks.
>>
>>333223236
this niggga
>stockpile dozens of planet-killes
>cause a global genocide the day before planetary election
>like half of the continent if now underwater
>your citzens now outnumber everyone else
>end turn
>achieve "diplomatic victory"
>>
>>333235643
Given the hidden horrors of the game, it is implied. Along withe the sham elections that keep him in power and the obfuscated bureaucracy under him that is both Orwellian and utterly useless and indeed more like a dictatorship.
>>
>>333236302
>stockpile dozens of planet-killers.
>cause a global genocide .
>like half of the continent if now underwater.
>Pollution everywhere.
>end turn.
>Planet sends hundreds of worms at me and everyone else destroying all our cities.

I could play on and maybe salvage it but I always quit then and told myself that humanity gets whipped out.
>>
>>333222849
DOMINATE THE WATER AS FAST AS YOU CAN
>>
>>333236085
That is the point friend but Lal's words are far darker and sinister. Indeed further on when cloning vats it gets to the point that people are cloned purely for hard labor .
>>
>>333236637

Shit is scary I know our "overlords" would do this without blinking.

>Genejack Factory

My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or
Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and
nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been
atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his
duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot
feel pain?

-- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang,"Essays on Mind and Matter"
>>
File: I guess.png (54 KB, 236x262) Image search: [Google]
I guess.png
54 KB, 236x262
>>333236816
>mfw basically any of Yang's quotes

Slimy asshole always has a good point it seems.
>>
>>333236637
Yeah I never built anything that created drones. Always tried to go for a perfect society and a tech victory.
>>
>>333236816
Well, aren't they pretty much flesh robot at that point?
>>
>>333236997
Id say so.
>>
>>333236997
>>333236928
Congratulations Citizen, your son/daughter <insert name here> has been chosen to become a proud Genejack for the next 500 centuries, please bring him to the closest factory for re-education.

Remember failure to comply will be punished with forced labor and perpetual pain for all your family.

Signed - Chairman Yang.
>>
>>333236928
>Yfw Yang was a wunderkin that spoke dozens of languages and was able at peak maintain health without tech implants and treatments.

Basically was the brutally 'enlightened' despot, in the mind of a genius so far removed from baseline humanity as to be unable to relate to them.
>>
What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"
>>
>>333236957
>Fuck drones
>Aquire minerals
>>
>>333237280
Huh, so it's afterbirth thing? Wow, that seems pretty fucking retarded and ineffective.
>>
>>333237280
That isnt how it works. They are genetically engineered. They are organic robots.

You are confusing this with nerve stapling.
>>
>>333237520
>>333237623
>Yang apologists
You are almost as shit as Deidre apologists fuck off.
>>
>>333237520
As opposed to constantly having to upgrade a growing childs implants and interface? A child does not stop growing mentally and physically until late teens, possibly later.

The state will let the genejack mature then assign it work and the 'tools and equipment' deemed necessary for optimal efficiency.
>>
>>333237875
It clearly says they are not humans.
>>
File: 1404757145850.png (202 KB, 268x320) Image search: [Google]
1404757145850.png
202 KB, 268x320
Who /lal/ here?
>>
>>333237901
I don't think you understand the implication of that text at all.
>>
>>333222849
You are in for mindworms and Yang. Lots and lots of Yang.
Also one of the best videogames ever made. We need more SMAC threads.
>>
Get /tg/ here some of their shit will blow your mind.
>>
>>333238106
I used to be and then I realized that science shouldn't be held back. Transcendence victory is a win for everyone.
>>
>>333236816
This one is my personal favorite.

We hold life to be sacred, but we also know the foundation of life consists in a stream of codes not so different from the successive frames of a watchvid. Why then cannot we cut one code short here, and start another there? Is life so fragile that it can withstand no tampering? Does the sacred brook no improvement?

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Dynamics of Mind"
>>
>>333238818
Its exciting to live in a world where this kind of technology is already cheap and available.
>>
>>333238818
I think my fav is still this because of it's contemporary relevance:

>As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
> Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"
>>
>Yang's production and growth bonuses

oh baby, now we're cookin'

almost makes me feel okay about playing the canon villain
>>
>>333238972
Meh its not always true. We deny patients information all the time and it really is for their own good.
>>
>>333239063
>Free Network nodes on a large map
Come to me alien artifacts. I am taking a tech lead that I am never giving up.
>>
>>333239063
Yang was always shit to me until I realized that for some reason he suffers from ZERO efficiency negators. it always stays at -1 for him, nothing can increase or decrease it.
Also, when you play as Yang, you don't have to worry about Yang, because you are Yang.
>>
>>333239094
>We deny patients information all the time and it really is for their own good.

Ok now I'm curious what you do exactly.
>>
>>333239369
Probably terminal cancer cases.
>>
>>333239369
Hospital science stuff. They wouldnt understand and it would scare them. So everyone sat down and decided what we would and wouldnt tell them.

Medical ethics.
>>
>>333234357
the hive
>>
>>333238972
>>333239094

He alludes to a Brave New World scenario, one that he actively ensures by keeping the masses pliable and placated with what they think are the big issues.
>>
>>333222849
>what am I in for?
Drones.
They need you.
>>
Why hasn't a 4X ever gotten terraforming and unit customization right like AC?
>>
>>333239528
Like trannies, what bathrooms we piss in and black people killing each other? Those are the issues I vote on!
>>
>>333234357
Anyone who would fuck with me. I haven't had a single faction not fuck with me in a game. Even Lal can be a massive dick and needs a tuning.
A better question would be, you do make an alliance with first, if possible?
>>
>>333239608
They look up to you.
>>
>>333239637
>mindworms fucking with me and my supply crawlers hard
>make a chopper and give it every psi bonus possible, and clean so I can spam them
>REMOVE WORMS

>end game, ascent is happening soon and I want it fast because I saw planet busters moving in yang territory
>put a supply crawler base on top of a hovership
>rush a fuckton out with my asswad of energy
>send them all over the world, soaking up the minerals of almost every mine in and out of my territory
>build project in 4 turns
>>
>>333239651
Whoever is right beside you during the initial expansion. You dont want to go to war with those guys because it will stunt the expansion. Unless you are certain you can easily win with a timing window.
>>
>>333239651
Depends on the lay of the land but I like not having to worry about Santiago for a bit, particularly if I can sic her on someone else like Miriam or Yang.
Eventually though, she'll get to big for her britches and I'll have to take her down a peg or ten.
>>
>>333239887
I've had scenarios though for focusing on conquering your adjacent faction ended up better than just expansion though. Especially if you are next to a prick like Yang or Miriam who will try and bully you if your military is weak.
>>
File: Aki_Zeta-5_(SMAC).jpg (7 KB, 149x178) Image search: [Google]
Aki_Zeta-5_(SMAC).jpg
7 KB, 149x178
dont mind me everybody, just being the most OP faction in the whole game over here
>>
>>333239884
Supply crawlers really are broken as shit. Especially since the AI doesn't know how to use them. But goddamn is it fun
>>
>>333240097
Also a QT.
>>
File: ever since I came to Planet you.png (315 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
ever since I came to Planet you.png
315 KB, 1000x668
>>333240097
>AC
>>
>>333240321
Thats a surprisingly up to date meme cross over.
>>
>>333240097
She's good but can't pop boom easily.

>>333240321
AC's good for the new techs, but most of the factions are meh. Luckily you don't have to play with the new factions at all.
>>
>>333238972
Why did I read that with the Colonel's voice?
>>
How do I git gud at this game?
>>
>>333240230
Early game they are kind of hard to set up because mindworms keep fucking with them and your terraformers are usually busy with other shit other than mines and you are more concentrated on expansion and/or not being fucked by the angry faction next to you.
But once mid-game comes along and you have more freedom? Oh fuck, minerals for days. Support doesn't even matter anymore because I can shit out Clean Chaos Invaders every 2 turns, and eventually Clean Chaos Choppers every 3 turns.
>>333240424
The alien factions were pretty cool, although I don't really like the alien lore they brought with them.
>planet? oh yea thats just one of our experiments lel it was all on us
Kind of hampered the feel of the planet as some isolated monstrosity that we stumbled upon.
Other than that, yeah the other factions weren't that great. Pirates and Cult were especially shitty lore wise.
>>333240634
Supply Crawlers.
>>
>>333240634
Play it lots. Also trees everywhere.
>>
I think Zakharov might be overpowered. If you focus on expanding your territory and make the Virtual World you're basically set as long as you don't get into a huge war. You just ride the tech advantage to victory. I don't even declare war, other factions just get jealous of my shit. I've never even seen any of the future society social engineering, my games end too quickly. Though I don't use supply crawlers, I haven't really tried past Librarian difficulty
>>
>>333240787
I play without using supply crawlers.
>>
>>333240634
Pic a strategy early on and stick with it.

This requires some experience with the game mechanics and its factions.
>>
>>333240814

this is good advice. There's a cap on most resources until you unlock certain technologies, making things like mines and farm sometimes unnecessary
>>
>>333240634
kill your nearest neighbour at the start with rovers or whatever so you have room to expand
don't trust yang
make sure you keep a strong, up-to-date military at all times, but focus on energy and tech - pay attention to what kinds of tiles are worth what resources, and what the improvements do
some of the named geological features - jungle, ridge, uranium flats, can't remember all their names - are pretty valuable, especially early on
don't EVER trust yang
experiment. your next game might end in failure, whatever, try something new and see if it works
>>
>>333240906
You probably should, but if you don't want to for some ungodly reason, then do what the other anon said and forest that shit up. Remember to build hybrid forests.
Also, if you manage to get lots of energy in the bank, it doesn't hurt to build some probe teams.
>>
>>333241148
Oh right. I never figured out supply crawlers and never tried. I just built forests and teched to the forest techs. I play on the third highest and second highest difficulty. I just like how forests everywhere looks.
>>
>>333241272
Basically, if there is a rocky terrain you can't farm on, put a mine on top it and send a supply crawler to work on it. That's really all you need to do. I tend to do that and just forest everything else if I need to win in a hurry.
Also, second highest difficulty is when the game starts actually cheating, just like all civ difficulties. Although if you really really want to cheese it you will smoke the AI anyways.
>>
>>333241573
I would build supply crawlers, automate them and then just nothing would happen. I would have mines built.

Do I have to manually send them to mines?
>>
>>333241796
send them to mines and then hit the O button.
>>
File: 1454181421513.png (348 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1454181421513.png
348 KB, 557x605
Yang is the superior choice anons
>>
>>333241936
>when the planet buster hits that capital just right.png
>>
Does this game have online multi

Is it as unbalanced as civ V?
>>
>>333241272
>I never figured out supply crawlers and never tried.
Two things you can do with supply crawlers:

>Rush a project
If you build a supply crawler in one city and send it to another city that's working on a secret project, you can sacrifice the crawler to get the production value of it applied to the project. That way multiple cities can effectively work on a project together. A very good tool to use, especially if you're worried about missing out on a particular project - you can start building crawlers a few turns before actually getting the tech, just for an edge.

>Work resources
This is the real power of a crawler. You can send them out anywhere on the map and have the crawler "work" that tile sort of like a remote citizen, except you can only have it collect one type of resource (food/minerals/energy) at once. That resource is automatically sent back to whatever city owns the crawler (without it having to move, no matter the distance). This lets you exploit really juicy tiles in your territory that aren't within range of a city. You can also do fun things like build fields of condensers and farms for food, or spam boreholes and switch between minerals/energy as needed. One real disgusting abuse of crawlers and terraformers is to raise a plateau as high as you can, pepper it with echelon mirrors and solar collectors, and then use it to drink back absolutely retarded amounts of energy in your capital (best efficiency).
>>
>>333242280
Forgot to mention - crawlers can also be used to rush unit prototypes.
>>
File: big P.png (105 KB, 283x348) Image search: [Google]
big P.png
105 KB, 283x348
>>333241936
I hope all of this is above board, chairman. all your citizens have human rights and access to free and fair elections, yes?
>>
File: 1328474611454.jpg (78 KB, 800x602) Image search: [Google]
1328474611454.jpg
78 KB, 800x602
Zakharov & University is the Fedora of Planet.
If you play with the expansion factions, never play against the Pirates.
You can't beat Planet.
Miriam is always right.
>>
>>333241901
Ah.
>>
Does the game support windowed mode?
>>
>>333242280
Cool
>>
>>333242596
I always wondered, why not fuck off from the planet. you get so many superior to earth technologies. building decent spaceship should be easy as fuck
fuck this shit of a planet anyway
>>
File: 1434220110680.png (41 KB, 356x1768) Image search: [Google]
1434220110680.png
41 KB, 356x1768
>>333238106
He has it rough
>>
>>333243776
>not a zealous miriam probe team at the door ready to punch lal in the cock and steal all his candy
>>
Never played AC, so the spic chick is a nazi?
>>
>>333244001
Not really a Nazi, more of the world's bitchiest drill sergeant. She believes that military might and discipline is the solution to surviving on planet.

All 7 leaders have a strong bent towards their pet philosophy, and it's set up such that you can never manage to be friends with all of them at once (for very long anyway). They're surprisingly well done characters for a 4X game. Sadly, the expansion characters aren't quite up to that same very high bar, although they have their moments on occasion.
>>
>>333244001
Not at all, you faggot. That's more of the Chairman. She's the eugenics girl who is all about making the perfect human beings.
>>
not OP but seeing this thread made me pirate it, it's about to finish in a little bit. Just how different is it compared to Civ 5?
>>
>>333247490
>Just how different is it compared to Civ 5?
Quite.
>>
Fuck the Hive. You have to crush them early on before they swarm you like cockroaches.
>>
File: OneWithPlanet.png (353 KB, 458x317) Image search: [Google]
OneWithPlanet.png
353 KB, 458x317
>playing as anyone else
>ever
>>
File: 1438959764096.png (399 KB, 765x570) Image search: [Google]
1438959764096.png
399 KB, 765x570
>Finding out you share a planet with Sven
>He's had the ocean to himself for dozens of turns
>>
>>333248254
>not University

Drones like you deserve to be stapled.
>>
>>333248254
BUILD
MORE
FORMERS
>>
>>333240097
zeta a cute, a CUTE!
>>
>>333232456
>Everyone of them will attack you if you pull into the lead

In my experience this is not the case, some AIs just become Submissive once they fall far enough behind. Usually I end the game with at least one AI buddy that allied me just because they realized they didn't stand a chance alone - typically Deirdre, Aki-Zeta 5 or Sinder Roze.

However if any one of them gets into the lead, they will always go full aggression mode against everyone, no matter how pacifistic the leader normally is.

>>333232589
That's interesting because Lal is typically one of the more aggressive AIs in my games, and always the one that refuses to surrender until I wipe out his last base. I guess he gets so angry about my early game Police State that he can never let it go.
>>
File: 1332629454534.jpg (25 KB, 435x419) Image search: [Google]
1332629454534.jpg
25 KB, 435x419
>>333248128
>Yang is your closest neighbor
>He spawned in the middle of the Monsoon Jungle
>>
File: 1414356510589.jpg (85 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
1414356510589.jpg
85 KB, 500x442
>1999
>4x space game comes out that treats post-racial, post-nation state politics maturely and realistically by dividing everyone by ideology
>all of the character's previous racial and national backgrounds make sense and do not invent new radical new conditions
>treats philosophy maturely and builds interesting setting that remains just as deep decades later as it was when it first came out

>2014
>hurr russian is like a super cosmonaut. his civ build things good
>hurr africa has huge population, gains food when healthy because they solved world hunger
>hurr corperation run by female hispanic CEO. So progressive.
>Australian so charasmatic, but acts like asshole. Is liek Oprah tho.
>planet has lot's of bugs on it. weird trees too
>can "scan for planets," but button doesn't do anything
>many planets, but all basically the same
>magic floatstone from Avatar

What went wrong?
>>
>>333249540
Hate that fucking landmark. It's so ridiculously OP. Feels good to drop a tectonic missile on it.
>>
AC is probably my favourite game of all time - I'd also consider it to have the best writing of any game, ever. I could talk about the intricacies of its plot, lore, how it does existential dread correctly, and so on, for days.

But I'll leave it at this:
Dierdre best girl
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.