[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you realize WoW was dead for good? >cataclysm >we're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14
File: lg.jpg (368 KB, 896x504) Image search: [Google]
lg.jpg
368 KB, 896x504
When did you realize WoW was dead for good?

>cataclysm
>we're nerfing heroics because they're too hard
>>
Warlords of Orcland
>We're removing flying because pvpers cried so much and we hate exploration
>>
File: 1455865061512.jpg (25 KB, 480x417) Image search: [Google]
1455865061512.jpg
25 KB, 480x417
>>333219656
when cataclysm came
>op fuckin frost mages with rogues like always, basiclymega rayquaza tier in arenas and overall in pvp
>shit banjo kazooi dungeon design
atleast the transmogs and the fact that you could disenchant pvp gear was an improvement
>>
Well, if you consider that an issue, WotLK already must have been virtually unplayable because the "heroics" were facerollable on day 1
>>
>>333220243
good , who the fuck cares they where a waste of time anyway
just give me my fuckin 2 frost emblems
>>
>>333219656
When sjws and fat chicks started asking about gay characters at blizzcon
>>
>>333219807
>Exploration
Bitch please, the game is a fucking sandbox MMO and the devs dont put jackshit fucking time into the environment to warrant "exploration". This was one of the best things they could've done for world PvP
>>
File: la7sBx1.jpg (78 KB, 445x445) Image search: [Google]
la7sBx1.jpg
78 KB, 445x445
>>333219807
>flying makes exploration better

Alrighty
>>
>>333219807
flying sucks, but its back now and really easy to get.

>>333220243
WotLK was a godawful expansion. I'll never understand why people praise it. It was the first time I didn't enjoy the game.
>>
>>333219656
Sunwell
>no more epic attunments for raids :^)
>>
>>333220632
because the fuckin lich king was in it? and they played as him in warcraft 3? and THEY MADE HIM WHERE HE IS NOW?
thats why only
>>
flying should be an unlockable thing. but im not fond of the bullshit of having to go do crap like go fucking treasure hunting.
>>
File: 1366541098144.jpg (42 KB, 362x358) Image search: [Google]
1366541098144.jpg
42 KB, 362x358
>lets just kill our most loved and fan favorite characters one after another so we keep inventing bullshit to fill the void
good job blizzard, you blew it all at once
tbc wotlk, there the wc3 audience goes, there the 7milion poeple go
>>
Removing the ability for knock back effects to launch people off their mounts because PvPeePee crybabies couldn't afk to change their tampon without getting killed and it made them super butthurt
>>
>>333219656
>When did you realize WoW was dead for good?
LFR.

I don't understand why there are so many wrathtards. That expansion killed the WoW community and it was all down hill from there. Only redeemable thing Wrath offered was Ulduar. Also, DKs being broken months after the launch was fucking stupid.
>>
"There must always be a Lich King"
That sentence, as well as random dungeon finder, killed all fucks I gave for Warcraft.
>>
>>333220243

The thing with Cata is that they started out saying "yeah, we fucked up by making everything too easy, now we're going back to things being hard again." Even in LK there was (for the most part) a gradual increase in content difficulty from launch content to the end. But much like with flying, at that point the genie was out of the bottle and there was no going back, so they nerfed them again.
>>
>>333221008
if you want to fuckin find friends in a guild and complete stuff together, get the fuck out of this board
MMO is a mistake, poeple are cunts and no one likes each other unless they hate the same stuff
>>
>>333220425
manwearingafedoraandtrenchcoatwhilecarryingakatana.jpg

world PvP in WoD makes no fucking sense
>we're trapped on this world with limited reinforcements and pretty lofty goals, lets go murder some of my pseudo-allies
>>
flying mounts
>>
>>333220306
Well, by the time you had frost emblems around, they were even more insulting with entire mob packs being globalled and 90% of the time in dungeons like Violet Hold and Culling of Stratholme being spent waiting for the next pack.

>>333220632
Well, it has a virtue of having one really good raid tier. The general style of game was also still salvageable (at least prior to 3.2) as it hadn't become a Facebook and queue simulator devoid of everything MMO and RPG quite yet while subsequent expansions are bad by default for this reason so WotLK represents the peak in a few aspects that have continuously improved (like UI and quest variety) as far as iterations that aren't worthless are concerned.

But yeah, I really don't understand it either.
>>
When they started giving away PvP gear like candy, completely undermining the honor system and spitting on the face of every Rank 14 player who spent months grinding for their title and gear.
>>
>>333220632
>WotLK was a godawful expansion
I think the only thing it did right was the leveling progression. Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills are top tier zones. So comfy leveling there.
>>
>>333219656
phased quests/free epics/lfg/killed talent trees/gutted vanilla zones

by cata the game was a single player mind-numbing button masher
>>
>>333219656
>BC
>we're nerfing 5 man heroics because they're too hard

I used to fucking run those shits all day. The hard ones too, like Arcatraz, slabs, durnholde, and that timed hellfire citadel one. Then they nerfed them all to fucking shit and any jackhole group of chucklefucks could just AoE them down. The hard five mans are supposed to teach people how to do the 10-25 mans, not just be a stepping stone on the gearqueue.
>>
>>333219656
>cataclysm
>HEROICS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IMPOSSIBLE GIT GUD SCRUB
>>
>>333221917
>mana tombs
>heroic
>playing a priest
Biggest bullshit ever with mana burn. I could be behind a god damn wall and those fuckers would still some how hit me. It's like LoS didn't even apply to them.
>>
TBC

>adding blood faggots
>>
File: 1446158372112.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1414) Image search: [Google]
1446158372112.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1414
When they wouldn't let me marry a Panda girl
>>
I've never played a mmo before. Is WoW worth getting Into still as a casual noob?
>>
>>333220425
>sandbox
Nice try

Stacking nerfs to ICC were the beginning of the end
>>
>>333221917
Well, at least the starting point was tough (in some cases quite outrageous, like the double sentinel pack in Arcatratz, unhealable in pre-raid gear without tank blowing a shield wall or someone kiting one of the sentinels away from the party) so they remained fairly respectable even post-nerf. I think they served a purpose of teaching players even after all the nerfs were done (besides the WotLK pre-patch ones, of course).
>>
>>333219656
Heroics have been nerfed since their implementation, m8. Even mech, shatt, slabs, etc got nerfed
>>
>>333222492
no go fuckin play tetris nigger
>>
>>333222392
To be fair, I was a resto shaman so I loved earthshock/grounding mana burn and other shit spells. But not being able to dispel magic on allies was a fair tradeoff I think.
>>
>>333222492
if you want to play an MMO WoW is still you're best bet, don't listen to the weebshitters that are about to swarm in to shill FFXIV
>>
>>333220632
WotLK was the best expansion. You're delusional.

>Zombie invasion pre-exp event
>Introduction of the death knights
>Arthas and the undead scourge
>Wrathgate event
>Ulduar, the best raid ever conceived by man
>The Light vs the Undead
>God-tier atmosphere
>Paladins reach their peak power
>Plenty of content for both casual and hardcore players
>>
>>333222716
I don't have any friends that play WoW though, is that okay?
>>
>>333222492
As a casual player you'll easy get 3 months out of the game before you become bored. The game is huge.
>>
>>333222738
it was good until 3.2
>>
>>333222738
>>Zombie invasion pre-exp event
ruined by autists that wanted the game to be auction house simulator 2007
>>
>>333222738
They already had that in vanilla leading up to Nax.

>Introduction of the death knights
Death knights were a OP broken class on release. Anyone that played a frost DK knows what I am talking about.

>Arthas and the undead scourge
This was one of the few good points.

>Wrathgate event
Which was eventually taken out.
>>
File: mmmmf.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mmmmf.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>333222738

I feel embarrassed saying this, but it was tied for the most fun I ever had in the game, I think tanking Ulduar with a cobbled together raid lead by two top of the server people in their down time is nearly tied.
>>
>>333219656
>cataclysm
>we're nerfing heroics because they're too hard

I loved wrath, but the welfare raid epics had completely destroyed 5 mans (even the higher item lvl ones released with 3.2 and 3.3) by the end of the expac. I had assumed that this was just a gear bloat problem and everything would be back to normal in Cata

then they nerfed the heroics because babies complained
>>
>>333222793
Can I still play the old expansion content like Lich King and Mists of Pandaria and Burning Crusade etc..?
>>
>>333219656

After they killed off Lich King. I stopped caring for the lore after that.
>>
>>333223268
What a coincidence, so did Blizzard.

New lore book is pretty good though
>>
I played a little bit after they released wotlk and the lore was already dead, so sometime before this.
>>
>>333223256
you can replay all of the content except vanilla, which was largely replaced by Cataclysm and later expacs
>>
>>333222492
Well, neo-WoW isn't an MMO (and is generally an entirely different game to the one that made all the fuss a decade ago, I would assume you're at least slightly interested about what make WoW so popular) so you'd have to look at one of the private servers.

It's not the most pristine one in terms of quality of content/mechanics and vanilla wouldn't be my favoured expansion but Nostalrius probably is the best choice for a newbie as it makes sense to start from the beginning (for starters, it's more difficult to get into if you get used to the conveniences of subsequent expansions first while the opposite certainly isn't a problem), it has authentic settings (normal experience rates, no pay2win and such like) and population is a key factor for a proper MMO experience.
>>
I liked cata. the class race updates and new quests made leveling up an alt funner.
the pvp was fun, especially tol barad. was my favorite part of the expansion, didnt really raid because anxiety.
heroic dungeons were pretty easy. could easily get valor cap.
but i enjoyed it. it was the turning point for wow no doubt. but i think cata was acceptable. like a gate way drug, cata was fine but the stuff they started taking afterwards was horrible and bad.
>>
>Death to the Scourge! And death to the living!
>>
>>333223256
there are guilds on some servers. that are strictly for raiding certain expansions like tbc/wrath. they have rules for you to follow like what gear you can wear and what enchants you can use to make it the most authentic feeling that they can for the raid.
>>
>>333223256
Besides 1-60 questing content, technically yes (with some caveats). However, changes in mechanics and such like have rendered the content utterly different to how it actually played out originally. It is possible for players to solo 10-man content at the appropriate level for fuck's sake (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxw-57oCYAg).
>>
I'm surprised blizzard still hasn't done a type of legacy server. Everquest did one and it was amazing for a few years until it caught up with the current game. Legacy servers are not perfect but if Blizzard opened up some I can guarantee they'd be full within an hour.
>>
>>333224171
hehehe legacy server
>poeple notice how shit it was back then
>what the fuck am i supsoed to RUN there?
>chinks get first world in raids and shit
the end
>>
>>333224116
>https://youtu.be/Hxw-57oCYAg
What the fuck.
I haven't touched WoW in years but was this a tweak or something?
>>
>>333219656

>Dead

Come now. Don't kid yourself. Please. It's still the most popular MMO on the market right now. Sure, it's not as popular as it used to be. But it still beats most of the competition. If WoW is dead, then SWTOR/ESO/Gw2/FF14/Wildstar are buried, rotting corpses. Which, anyone with half a head, knows isn't true.

I hate WoW, but I don't kid myself in saying it's dead.
>>
>>333224423
As I understand it, the content has received all kinds of nerfs because of people farming for transmog sets but more than anything, it's a matter of classes being disproportionally more powerful than they used to be. Vanilla to TBC transition was a tame one but this cannot be said about other expansions. Consider the transition from TBC to WotLK: tanks suddenly have 5x damage, cooldowns out the ass, improved flat damage reduction and all kinds of new tricks ranging from warriors being able to stunlock entire groups of mobs to paladins not dying if they are killed. And then most classes/specs were buffed during the expansion on top of that.

When players are 10 times more powerful than originally with tools that make previously tough mechanics completely obsolete (for example, if you have one tank cooldown and one extrenal cooldown to throw at each Brutallus stomp, suddenly it's completely non-threatening), it's no wonder someone can actually solo some of the content too.
>>
File: 1311952472989.jpg (9 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1311952472989.jpg
9 KB, 360x360
>>333219656
Pretty much what you said started to put me off and when they continued down that path for another couple patches I just abandoned ship.

The beginning of cataclysm was really exciting. The entirely redone zones were fresh and made me want to actually level alts, the new zones such as the underwater one were really cool too.
And the new races were pretty neat.
On top of all that though, the dungeons were actually difficult and required teamwork and strategy, something the game was missing during wotlk.
One patch later though and that went out the window.
It pretty much killed my interest in the game hard.

>>333224171
It also worked incredibly well for runescape.
They could make a killing if they had legacy servers with better scripting then private servers.
>>
>>333225512
I don't know why people say that legacy servers would fail. If WoW private servers are any indication of just how many people long for the vanilla WoW experience then server would fill up quickly. Hell Blizzard could even charge people extra just to have access to the legacy servers and people would still flock to it.
>>
>>333225512
It confuses me why they wont do it

You have 13k people a day playing on a shitty overpopulated server filled with chinese goldminers and half of the population playing with 300 ping for 13 months now, I'm pretty sure all of those people would pay them money to play on an official server
>>
File: crusade-logo.jpg (128 KB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
crusade-logo.jpg
128 KB, 675x380
Right here. This was the EXACT moment the decline began.

WoW has been mediocre for a longer period of time than it was good and memorable.
>>
File: 1452855824024.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
1452855824024.png
1 MB, 852x854
>>333224171
>>333225512
>>333226532
>>333226714
>muh legacy realms!
Reminder: This will never, EVER happen because to implement such servers would be an open admission that WoW is not a fresh, exciting and well-rounded experience like it used to be, and that the quality and amount of content they've been putting out for the last several years isn't good. Blizzard would rather watch their WoW subscribers slip into oblivion and gear up for Overwatch than come out and admit that they fucked up royally.
>>
>tfw i don't mind the content but I hate the combat
>it's just a rotation of buttons
>FFXIV is worse with its rotations
>there are no good MMO's

kill me
>>
>>333227209
Just quit, you finally realized that MMOs are trash and the only fun you had with them when you were younger was the socialization factor which is dead
>>
>>333227372
>Just quit

I already quit a long time ago, anon. I am now on the never ending search for a new one.
>>
When did you realize /v/ has been making when did you realize WoW is dead posts for

SEVEN
FUCKING
YEARS
>>
File: stuck3.jpg (141 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
stuck3.jpg
141 KB, 660x495
>>333219656
WotLK
Flying mounts were crappy but at least you could interact with them, taking out somebody who was in the air was possible

Instanced quest zones and group finder made the whole world so dead and empty, you could go quite awhile without seeing another player if you were part of the way through a questchain

To be honest, I kind of liked it, seeing the world progress as your quests did - but it's not worth it
It became a single player game in many ways outside of raids and arenas/BGs, like a bad clone of korean MMOs instanced questzones

MMOs are worthless if the world is empty
>>
>>333224423
>>333225116

For BC in particular it's that the changes they made for the 3.0 patch (when you had Lich King class design but Burning Crusade content) necessitated nerfing all level 70 content by 30%, specifically because they nerfed the shit out of healer mana regen (I was doing Sunwell at the time, and bosses that I just barely managed to not oom on over 6 minute kills in 2.4 I wound up just barely managing to not oom on over ~3 minute kills in 3.0.)

And in general they just don't give a fuck about balance at levels other than the current cap. And honestly, why *should* they care if changes made to balance things at level 90 allows level 70 characters to solo entry-level level 70 raid content?

The only nerfs they've really done for solo transmog farmers have been ones to make fights that were mechanically impossible to solo no matter how much you overgear them (Kalecgos, Thorim) soloable.
>>
>>333226846

I wouldn't quite say that- LK was basically a roller coaster, quality wise. 3.0 was shit, 3.1 was better, 3.2 was shit, 3.3 was better. Cataclysm, on the other hand, was a pretty constant decline in quality from patch to patch. MoP and WoD have been mostly constant, outside of their last patches going on for way too fucking long.
>>
File: 1458386344089.jpg (46 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
1458386344089.jpg
46 KB, 312x312
>>333219656
>Cataclysm
>Heroics week 1
>Headed South cheevo

Holy fuck was that a fun time. Spent 5 hours with a single pug group dedicated to getting this one and I never got that experience ever again. The nerf to heroics killed any chance of finding another group like that. LFG killed any social aspect of the game.
>>
>>333219807
>Flyingfag
>Not the true casuals

Eat shit
>>
>>333227720
WoW was one of the biggest phenomenons in Western video gaming history and its decline and downfall is actually a relevant and important topic of discussion.

Sorry if this bothers you.
>>
>>333219656
The other day. I played for a little while and it was just shit. Trade chat was the only good thing about the entire game. The rest just feels like a single player game unless someone decides to talk. The game has it's good features but it just doesn't have the social aspect it used to have.
>>
>>333219656

When they nerfed Karazhan in 2.1 because R&J and Morose were too hard for casuals. That was truly the beginning of the end. It started the slippery slope of nerfing content for bad players who refused to git gud.
>>
>>333229326
I did a semi pug/guild run for it. It's absolutely amazing how quickly the quality of players in heroics dropped off as more people reached level cap. The first week was smooth sailing with people using CC and learning from mistakes quickly, then as the retards hit cap it became absolute shit show to get any heroic done. Grim batol was by far the worst offender of that because god forbid you have to dps and move occasionally.

LFG is a wonderful convenience, yes. But it had to be dumbed down to the point where any moron could complete a dungeon. That and the convenience killed any aspect of socialization of your server. It might have been a bitch to find four others players to do a run with but there was a decent chance you'd also walk out with four new friends.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.