[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question: are there any games that prominently feature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: drones.jpg (117 KB, 599x565) Image search: [Google]
drones.jpg
117 KB, 599x565
Serious question: are there any games that prominently feature drones?

Would you find a game less exciting if you were piloting a drone into combat instead of an actual player character?
>>
>>333218568
Supreme Commander.
everything is a drone except for your main unit, and attacking with swarms of bombers is a valid strategy.
>>
Total annihilation, it's shit though.
>>
>>333218568

Arma 3 has drones. And there was a game released a few years ago, you command a floating carrier on another planet and you have aerial, naval, and ground based drones that you use exclusively. Anyone remember the name?
>>
>>333218568
Lots of RTS games do. Sins of a Solar Empire is my favorite with them, partly since those beams are just so pretty. In fact, I think I'm gonna reinstall it right now.
>>
Ace Combat features a lot of drones. Recurring bosses in Infinity and 6 are new-gen fighters with control over dozens of UCAVs.

Ace Combat 3 is about drones, in a way. You play as one.
>>
Blizzard games
>>
Eve Online has a variety of ships that fight with drones.
>>
>>333218568
There was that one FPS game, don't remember the name where you could basically be a drone operator as a class. You got a flying 9/11 drone and then two different tank drones that could fuck up pretty much anyone on foot.

It wasn't that popular so it ended up ded pretty quick, but I remember playing the free multiplayer demo for a long time.
>>
File: Interceptor_SC1_HeadAnim1.gif (129 KB, 60x56) Image search: [Google]
Interceptor_SC1_HeadAnim1.gif
129 KB, 60x56
>>333218568
Prominent because some people liked to spam carries, which is a useful talent toi have
>>
>>333219513

what is that, a gif for ants?
>>
>>333219163
INTERCEPTORS
>>
>>333219601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56TYzw4Cuw
Valkyrie prepared.
>>
>>333218568

The same thing is happening on the water, the Navy is working with DARPA to develop swarms of small boats that can overwhelm an opponent's defensive management capabilities. It's actually really dangerous for carriers that have a limited number of defense systems that are built to focus on say, one inbound anti-ship missile as opposed to a horde of surface craft.

The future is scary, guys.
>>
>>333219901
Sure is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Viwwetf0gU
>>
Yes, Arma and Ace Combat 3 already got mentioned.

>Would you find a game less exciting if you were piloting a drone into combat instead of an actual player character?
As a flight sim autist, yes, it'd be fucking boring.
>>
>>333219901
>they mass produce so many drones they dont have enough people to man them
>suddenly a game comes out featuring "massive random battles with lifelike graphics"
>>
>>333219901
But Carriers don't travel alone anon. That's what picket ships are for.
>>
File: 1459655993552.gif (3 MB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
1459655993552.gif
3 MB, 512x288
>>333218568
>Would you find a game less exciting if you were piloting a drone into combat instead of an actual player character?

Depends, am I supposed to be a robot controlling the drone?
If so, no, because robots are sweet.

If it's just a human piloting the drone, then it's boring.
>>
>>333219589
The games resolution was 640x480
>>
>>333220004

I'd rush a machine gun nest and run through a minefield if fucking necessary in combat time but I'm pissing myself if

1. The enemy is using flamethrowers
2. Or now flying fucking chainsaws
>>
>>333218568
Batman knight is full of drones
>>
>>333218568
any recent nintendo games
because die hard nintendo fans are drones get it?
>>
>>333220128

Talk to the Navy. They've wargamed scenarios where swarms of small boats are able to do huge damage to modern surface groups.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/12/washington/12navy.html?_r=1

The armed forces in general are hurting for money right now, if they're investing in these sort of things, they probably think it's a genuine threat.
>>
>>333220004
ballon field: problem solved
>>
>>333220627
>The armed forces in general are hurting for money right now
>Over $600 billion dollar a year budget

Anon, plz
>>
>>333218915
You properly thinking of carrier command gaea mission. Great concept, but poorly executed
>>
>>333220687

It's been going down since 2010 and will continue to do so, the various branches are being moved back to pre-9/11 funding levels. So yeah, considering what they've been enjoying over the past 15 years, these are big constraints.
>>
>>333220136
If you directly control the drone you'd have much less severe physical restrictions (eg won't have to deal with G, at least not to the same extent a human would have to) but you'd probably have much less situation awareness than a human.
>>
>>333218568
There was a drone section in Splinter cell Blacklist.

Medal of Honor had a drone but I don't remember if you controlled or it was just a cutscene.

I think CoD games have drones. It'd probably be okay for their on rails sections
>>
>>333218898
I hope you mean planetary annihilation
>>
>>333220825
>carrier command gaea

That's it, thanks anon
>>
>>333218568
"Drones" yeah, that's going to useful in a real fight. Fucking waste of funding if you ask me, why would you trust a fucking drone to do anything. Human error is a bitch but at least you can't point your finger at the human and weasel their way out of 'faulty' machines.
>>
File: RADcover.jpg (45 KB, 275x384) Image search: [Google]
RADcover.jpg
45 KB, 275x384
>>333218568
How about a game where you control a guy controlling a giant robot?
>>
File: 1378777878757.png (3 KB, 140x141) Image search: [Google]
1378777878757.png
3 KB, 140x141
>>333218568
>looking at DARPA and ONR research about autonomous drone swarms
THE FUTURE IS NOW!
>>
>>333220825
>>333220950
Hostile Waters is kind of similar and really cool.
Also the original Carrier Command I guess, but I never played that.
>>
>>333218568

PSO had mags
>>
>>333221059

The US military, as a whole, is working towards expanding their "unmanned" capabilities as much as possible. You can replace a drone with some money and supplies, while you keep the trained drone operators safe in C3 facility inside the CONUS or at a comfy air base/carrier far away from the actual danger. Human error is definitely a bitch, but when a drone operator makes a mistake, it's less likely to cost the lives of American soldiers/sailors/airmen. And as expensive as technology is, it pales in comparison to the cost of training people. Even rifle-toting grunts - we're spending more on training our personnel than ever before - by huge magnitudes. Before you even step off the bus at your training center, the government has spent a few thousand dollars on you to pay for MEPS processing, plane tickets, background checks, etc. It's always about money.
>>
File: 1412650392754.jpg (3 MB, 3508x2631) Image search: [Google]
1412650392754.jpg
3 MB, 3508x2631
>>333218568

>launched in mid-air from larger aircraft and then retrieved in same way

AW SHIT AW FUCK
>>
>>333220897
To further my point, you'd have less situational awareness because, assuming you fly a multirole drone:
You wouldn't be able to see shit in the air. Which is kind of a big deal.
You wouldn't be able to process data in the same way a drone would be able to.
>>
>>333219820

Thanks for reminding me that I didn't finish Freespace 2.
>>
>>333220687
A lot of that goes to infrastructure and troop costs, not research.
>>
>>333220631
>Assuming the pilots aren't vidya autists who would dodge that easy baby obstacle. Pretty sure they train their people.
>>
>>333221551
What if you give your drone really good panoramic cameras and stream that shit directly into your eyeballs? Let's say your connection is so fast that the only limiting factor is light speed lag.
>>
>>333221059

>fighter jet
>$100+ million dollars
>piloted by a guy with millions of dollars and years of training
>drone
>a few hundred thousand to ~$15 million dollars
>no pilot to worry about

Drone swarms are the future
>>
What does a drone have to be able to do in order to replace an infantryman?
>>
>>333222045

kill bad guys real good
>>
>>333218568
>that article
life is becoming Ace Combat

V2 when
>>
>>333222045

Shoot a gun at half the cost.
>>
>>333221059
>would you trust a fucking drone to do anything
Are you retarded or do you truly not understand how drones work?
>>
>>333221740
>What if you give your drone really good panoramic cameras and stream that shit directly into your eyeballs
You wouldn't have 3d vision. Current flight sims don't have it*, but they have an imposter system that makes so that you can spot shit from the same distances you'd see IRL. And air to air drone wouldn't have that kind of thing as it'd be fucking expensive for no reason, it'd be constantly be fed info from AEW aircraft and ground based stations, on top of having infrared seekers (IRST). And that's just part of the picture.

*DCS supports OR but it's stupidly unfeasible outside of a few situations because of shit performance and very low pixel density, you can't even fucking read your instruments.
>>
Cortex Command

The game is laughably broken though, it's a fun 2D physics simulator at best.
>>
>>333222045
Self repairing, Fast and nimble, able to talk with local populace and console them, navigate extremely well, EMP hardened, Solar powered, and be an amazing shot.
>>
>>333222045
Cost less, therefore replacing infantrymen with drones would be stupid.
>>
>>333221059
"Drones" (Which is as broad a term as "planes") are cheaper, they represent a small fraction of the cost of modern aircraft. You don't need to put valuable personnel in the air or in dangerous airspace. Drones don't need R&R. Small drones avoid SAM and are difficult to manually shoot down.

>>333222045
Cost less. Adapt to different environments, all weather, and situations. Communicate with others. Shoot. Navigate. Make decisions independently.
>>
>>333222402
Is stereoscopy even relevant at the distances we're talking here? I thought the sweet spot was at like two meters.
In any case, your panoramic camera has to be a camera cluster anyway, so you should be able to stitch yourself some stereoscopy with that if it does turn out you need it.
>>
File: 1339095516946.png (19 KB, 291x317) Image search: [Google]
1339095516946.png
19 KB, 291x317
>>333220071
>'epic troll' teamkillers destroy the american navy
>>
>>333223084
>a single aimbotter wins the war
>>
>>333220004
>flying chainsaws
Its all over now.
>>
>>333223002
Stereoscopy is what makes you see shit at absurd distances IRL, as long as you have perfect vision, either natural or corrected with contacts/surgery or whatever.

Stereoscopy with the OR and DCS only gives you more spatial awareness (good for flying helicopters and landing), as I said its' greatly hampered by the OR's shit pixel density.

I think that a plausible air to air drone design wouldn't have cameras pointing at the air because as I already said it really wouldn't need them, or if it were to have them they'd be at very low resolution, unable to accurately see things from long distances in the air, as the IR sensors would fullfill that role.

If our hypothetical sim drone were to have those cameras then you'd pretty much have something like DCS except with very different cockpit handling and not having to worry about the pilot's G limits.
>>
>>333223731
>Stereoscopy is what makes you see shit at absurd distances IRL
How so? Does it combine the overlapping areas in some way that increases effective resolution?
>>
>>333224024
I really don't know the details, I know that the human eye's resolution is much higher than any monitor and that it's pretty good at picking moving objects, even if they're against a background, especially the area that isn't in the middle of the field of vision. Also look up how 3d vision works.
>>
>>333222045
stand on street corners, enforce law, inspire confidence in a better future with order
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.