[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does DaS1 get worse after you finally obtain the lordvessel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: 111111222.png (824 KB, 624x452) Image search: [Google]
111111222.png
824 KB, 624x452
Does DaS1 get worse after you finally obtain the lordvessel?

After beating the Anal Rodeo, I felt a lost in atmosphere

>>>>>duke archives
>>
The level design takes a huge dive yes.
And the duke archives a the less shitty from the bunch, so prepare for the worst.
>>
>shitting on Duke's Archives
Does /v/ just hate this place? I never see it get any love
>>
>>333211767
>Good tier
Kiln, Dukes

>Shit tier
Catacombs, Crystal Cave, New Londo Ruins

>What were they thinking tier
Lost Izalith (fuck everything about this place). If you're willing to grind 30 humanity you can join the Chaos servants and skip most of it. Although if it's your first playthrough you should probably go through it to find out why it's so bad.
>>
>>333212150

The place is neato until the fucking underground slip off because physics engine shittery.
>>
Honestly, Anor Londo sucked, with the exception of Ren & Stimpy.
>>
>>333212150
The Archives themselves are fine, but fuck the Crystal Cave.
>>
This is why I prefer DaS 2 any day.
The levels might not fold into eachother nicely, but individually they are very well made, have solid themes and tons of hidden items that take at least 2-3 combovers to fully explore.
>>
>>333212150
No i fucking don't
Everything hurt in that place and those stupid ladder switch sections.
fuck that place
>>
>>333211767
yes
but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be
lost izalith is the only truly terrible end game area
>>
I never understood the idea that Dark Souls gets that much worse after the Lordvessel. The first time I played it I was pretty thrilled about each area. On repeat playthroughs I find the second half more enjoyable than the first really.

>>333212179

What's wrong with the Catacombs or New Londo Ruins?
>>
>>333212583
It's probably because of the shitty bosses and unfinished areas.
>>
File: oscarpuke.jpg (320 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
oscarpuke.jpg
320 KB, 621x621
Literally the only bad area is Lost Izalith.
Duke's Archives is my favorite area.
Don't listen to /v/, finish the game.
>>
File: 1399410207106.jpg (580 KB, 746x800) Image search: [Google]
1399410207106.jpg
580 KB, 746x800
Honestly I've never understood why the second half gets so much hate. Maybe I'm just a pleb, but the tomb of the gaints, new londo, and archive and crystal caverns were all pretty fun. I can see why lost izaleth is shit on, but not to the extent it gets.
>>
>>333211767
Honestly Anon, I never understood why everyone says that. I liked the game from start to finish. Even Izalith had some awesome ancient civilization in the heart of the earth feeling. Butt dragons are not very fun but it's ok.
>>
>>333212583
>Catacombs and New Londo
They're too short and both Nito and Four Kings were disappointingly easy.
>>
>>333211767
>teleportation kills games

Confirmed.

It gets easier but it also expands a bit. There's more to do in the areas and places to get lost. The archives is my personal least favorite of the last few places to go.

Lost Izalith would be a fun one but Bed of Chaos is a bitch if you miss your firebombs.
>>
Lost Izalith and Darky Darkington are fucking shit areas and the kind of difficulty Dark Souls should opt to avoid; they're just monotonous and not enjoyable in the slightest.
>>
>>333211767
it gets worse in the sense that the late game areas sacrifice fun and gameplay in place for some atmosphere.

but they are all memorable and difficult areas, giant's tomb, crystal cave etc not really worth complaining about.
>>
>>333212583
>Catacombs
>Hide and seek with Necromancers, no enemy variety
>Fucking wheel skeletons
>Got to flip the levers before you can progress
>Most pointless boss in the game

>Tomb of the Giants
>Darkness
>Too many insta-kill pitfalls
>Everything rapes you

>New Londo
>Ghosts everywhere
>Everything looks the same
>Darkwraith part is ok but still not great
>>
>>333212902
They're not difficult. It's just the area bosses. Hell Izalith's fire maze was what intrigued me the most the first time I went there.
>>
>>333212772
You can't be fucking serious about Crystal Caverns. It's literally just three walkways.
>>
>>333212971
Tomb of the Giants and New Londo are my favorite areas in DaS1.

Catacombs are stupid fun if you go there early, as one of your very first areas. Very challenging.

Fuck just about everything else post-Sen's Fortress, though.
>>
dukes archive is one of the better areas in the game
catacombs is really memorable with patches and all the spooky
new londo is fine, atmospheric at the very least
lost lava eyefuck boss rush is garbage

the lord bosses are the real problem, the difficulty curve went to absolute shit trying to let you fight any of the 4 bosses in any order
game would have benefited from being more linear, maybe 2 lord souls to choose from, defeat them and THEN you get access to the last 2. or something like that.
>>
>>333212742
Oh absolutely but people harp on as if it was just absolutely terrible. From a purely design standpoint Lost Izalith is infinitely less interesting than any other part of the game. But the art design is still great, and the combat is still there when attacking taurus demons or the Centipede Demon, or the dragon balls.

>>333212869
Too short ehh I'll give you New Londo but each of them are pretty well designed. Nito is indeed easy, but the Four Kings are hella hard on NG+ and on.

>>333212971
No enemy variety? It's a bunch of coffins and tombs what did you expect from the word catacombs. The necromancer bit was a neat gimmick. Just listing off wheel skeletons is not a criticism. What the hell is wrong with flipping levers? Pinwheel as a fight is pretty cool it's just everyone takes him out in a few hits.

What's wrong with darkness? Too many ehh perhaps. Everything rapes you that's the point of the complete darkness.

Ghosts everywhere I mean what's inherently wrong with that? Everything looking the same yeah I'll give you that.
>>
>>333213252
>what's wrong with flipping levers

The first time I went through there, Patches flipped the switch on me and murdered me.

I laughed heartily.
>>
Why is Catacombs so hated? It had really cool atmosphere and was a ton of fucking fun to invade or GL people in. Tied with Sen's for my favorite invasion spot.
>>
>>333212150

Duke's Archives honestly is pure garbage

probably the most boring point of the whole game
>>
>>333212983
Yeah, thinking back finding my way was a bitch. It was atmospheric as fuck though, and seeing the moonlight butterflies was cool.
>>
Anyone have a magnet link for the Prepare to Die version on PC? I've had an itch to play it but can't find any decent links.
>>
>>333213938
>favorite invasion spots sen's fortress and catacombs

you're an evil fucker... and I like it
>>
Kind of unrelated, but I just wanted to say that Sen's Funhouse was my favourite part of the game. Learning to use the traps against the enemies was an amazing feeling.
>>
That pic is from Das2 though
>>
>>333214220
or.. you could pay 10 bucks and just access it and have multiplayer. what's left of it
>>
>>333211767
got killed AND cursed from this gay ass dragon
lost any interest in the game
Glad the series is over
>>
I honestly never understood the hate for demon ruins and Lost Izalith. They sacrafice some form for spectacle but imho its worth it up until bed of chaos and even then by now everyone just cheeses him anyways
>>
>>333212150
i don't think i have ever looked forward to it after the first time, i was always bored in there.
izalith was just the most broken unfinished piece of crap thouigh
>>
>>333212150
I love it, one of my favourite areas next to Anor Londo because of how clean and organized it looks.
>>
Anyone still revving up the ol' PS3 and doing gankspanks in the forest?
>>
>>333214304
I don't care about that shit and, as you say, there's not much of a community left.
>>
>archives
they are the only part I still complete after lando calrissian's funhouse. Everything else is such trash, even the DLC is fucking mediocre after playing it so many times, the early part of the game is still so wonderful though.
>>
>>333214304
There's nobody but hackers anymore, and in a week there won't even be those.
>>
i didn't think about it at first, but after a while i realized that the dragon butts were placeholder enemies.
they really just ran out of time around the end
>>
>>333212150
It's boring and Crystal Cave fucking sucks
>>
So what's the point of the valley of drakes?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (71 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
71 KB, 384x313
>>333214985
>>
>>333214985
interconnecting crossroads area
>>
>>333212150
My favorite of the four lord-soul areas.
>>
Objective Area Ranking

Sen's Funhouse > Anal Rodeo > Blighttown > Tomb of the Giants > Undead Burgh > Painted World > Darkroot (forest) > Oolacile (town) > random average crap >>>>>>>> abys (before manus) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ashen lake
>>
>>333212150
It is complete unfiltered garbage and I learned how to do the elevator skip purely because doing anything other than being a dick and invading there is a waste of time.

Also fuck channeler trident farming.
>>
>>333214985
just an inbetween area.
there's a few missing in 2
>>
I just finished Seath and am about to start with New Londo.

The quality nosedive really is noticeable. Atleast to me. Thing is, well, I already kind of spoiled myself about the game in all sorts of ways. I already know lots of stuff about the lore and the story and shit. The curiosity just took the better of me. But it didn't impact my experience with the game at all.

I'm just not really sure whether I should progress with the game or not. I'm just hyped about DaS3 and would like to start it immediately without really going back to this just to finish 3 apparently shitty areas.
>>
>>333214985
Is it not fucking awesome to have an area that connects 3 completely separate areas of the world? It fucking blew my mind that it was such a short walk from that tunnel in darkroot to firelink shrine.
>>
>>333215357
There's nothing to do. Except two sidequests.
>>
File: 1457547795452.jpg (31 KB, 432x403) Image search: [Google]
1457547795452.jpg
31 KB, 432x403
>>333211767
>Dark Souls gets worse after Anor Londo

When will this meme end?
>>
Might as well drop it at this point, only decent area after the halfway point is Archives
DaS2 fucked up a lot of things, but at least it kept a consistent quality, even if that quality was mediocre when compared to the first half of DaS1
>>
>>333211767
after quelaag it loses most of its charm
>>
>>333215651
Or you could just play it yourself and form your own opinion. The day you let others define for you what's fun and what isn't, is the day you lose at life
>>
File: 1432135464016.jpg (99 KB, 850x637) Image search: [Google]
1432135464016.jpg
99 KB, 850x637
Dark Souls has a strong early game but weak late game
Dark Souls 2 is sort of all over the place with its highs and lows
Dark Souls 3 has weak early game and strong late game
>>
>>333215651
Just do it so you can fully make your own judgment. What's wrong with you? Letting other people affect your decision so much?
>>
>>333211767

They lost the metroidvania map design philosophy. My guess is because they ran out of time, there were area's cut between

>Darkness shithole (dead end near orange fog), and somewhere
>Fortress (dead end at wizard) and forest
>Forest and dukes/crystal

Dragon shithole was a weak area as well.
>>
File: 1405445816495.png (14 KB, 86x133) Image search: [Google]
1405445816495.png
14 KB, 86x133
>DaS1
>"go kill these 4 badass motherfuckers lol" is the better half of the game
>DaS2
>"go kill these 4 badass motherfuckers lol" is the worse half of the game

weird
>>
>>333215836
>>333215913
You're right. Normally this doesn't happen, I just got kinda worried there because of how many people shit on these areas. I'll be on my way.
>>
>>333215771
>can finally fast travel
>the four cornerstone bossfights open up
>the game progression goes from linear to open world
sounds terrible, right?
>>
where do i go first? i went straight to the painted world but im not sure what the best way to proceed is after I get out
>>
>>333216032
>open world

Are you actually retarded?
>>
File: its_so_bad.jpg (9 KB, 236x240) Image search: [Google]
its_so_bad.jpg
9 KB, 236x240
my first time playing I didn't even know you could place the lordvessel, I thought frampt was some sort of monster and I always avoided him, and ended up joining the darkwraiths.

I don't regret it, I join them every game now. They're so bad.
>>
Everyone says the world atmosphere is great but the overall world is a cluster fuck.
>sen's fortress built next to a wall
>anor londo is FUCKING HUGE
>once you get there you explore only 1 building and leave the city of 500 buildings.
>forced to go down lava pit and catacombs despite the fact that the realm of god's was shown to the player
Honestly I'm just shitting on the size of Anor Londo. If they made Anor londo to be only 3 buildings max on the high mountain wall then I would have been satisfied. That way the size of Anor Londo would be proportionate to the size of the rest of the cities in the game.
>>
>>333216163
>Undead Burg
>Undead Parish
>The Depths
>Blighttown
>Quelaag's Domain
>Darkroot Garden
>Darkroot Basin
>The Abyss
>Sen's Fortress
>Anor Londo
>The Duke's Archives
>Crystal Cave
>Demon Ruins
>Lost Izalith
>Catacombs
>Tomb Of Giants
>Gravelord Nito's Tomb
>>
>>333216668
After this go straight to Gwyn, if you're having trouble maybe do DLC.
>>
>>333216647
>forced to go down lava pit and catacombs despite the fact that the realm of god's was shown to the player

Well yes. Anor Londo has been abandoned. I mean sure we could've explored more of it but it'd just be big empty buildings.
>>
>>333216757
you just advised someone to skip three of the best bossfights
>>
>>333216816
>huge fucking city
>huge-ass blacksmith sits in some forgotten corner with only and anvil and his hammer

that guy should've had a forge the size of a stadium but instead they cramped him in a shithole without any real blacksmith attributes
>>
>>333216872
I got this from the DaS wiki.
Also which bosses? He did the painted world already; if he wants he can fit in the DLC inbetween Lost Izalith and tomb of giants
>>
>>333217005
I thought it was pretty funny and cute seeing him hunched over a tiny anvil but I understand your grievance.
>>
It really depends. If all you have left os the 4 lord souls, then yes. At that point you're just warping to the bosses and wrapping things up.

However, the game doesn't lead you to those doors naturally. Your own curiousity brings you to them ahead of time. The second half of Dark Souls is great if you just then go to the catacombs, New Londo, and the Forest.

Unfortunately Sen's Fortress can be intimidating. So, I'm sure many went to the other areas early out if hesitation.
>>
>>333212179

>tfw to this day have never actually gone through Lost Izalith because I unlocked the shortcut before even getting the Lord Vessel

I actually thought the covenant was mandatory for a while.
>>
>>333217276
you have the right idea
>>
File: not matoro.jpg (50 KB, 353x329) Image search: [Google]
not matoro.jpg
50 KB, 353x329
>douk's
>enemies do fukchueg damage, roam in packs, last bonfire trivializes area
>crystal cave's gimmick is fun for all of one walkway, then becomes annoying
>fagetdragon has neat gimmick until you realize his tail is fucking impossible to chop off without spending 30 minutes/summoning someone
>new londo
>fighting ghosts is a waste of time, run on through on multiple suicide rushes to finally figure out where to go
>level design actually half decent, though interconnected paths only exist in self contained portions outside that single elevator
>4kidz an exercise in 'run away whenever it does something' and magic def stacking
>lost izalith
>everything is shit
>SHIT
>fatfuck demon is a clone of asylum's fatfuck demon
>centipede just encourages you to have ranged weapons/spells and insults the reflexes you've honed to this point
>bed of chaos is beyond pathetic
>tomb of the giants
>darkness is actually a good feature, should have been used more in other levels provided light sources weren't so scarce
>nothing is threatening outside of bonedogs with their retarded fuckhuge hitboxes and rampages that take you down to 25%
>nito is a pushover with some of the most telegraphed attacks since the hollows you fight on your way to the burger
>dlc
>areas are boring but so was dankroot
>guardian is a fag
>artorias is a fag that has terrible posture
>kalameet is a fag whose arsenal demands you keep a shitty item that you need to spam to survive on you at all times
>bloathead mages actually made you think about engaging groups of enemies and were alright fags
>abyss was neat, giant tomb 2.0
>humanity dudes were fags
>manus is a big fag with a bigger arm
>chester is a harder boss than any of these chucklefucks
>no way to escape any of these areas after you beat the boss outside of using the bonfire instead of cool shortcuts
that's not to say the pre-lord vessel funtimes were without flaws, but post-lord vessel sucks
>>
>>333218060
>Shitting on Manus, the best boss in any Souls game
>>
>>333218060

>he ran away from enemies during 4kings
>not just spamming attack and letting raw machismo do the work.
>>
>>333218060
>kalameet is a fag whose arsenal demands you keep a shitty item that you need to spam to survive on you at all times
what?
>>
>>333218060
you sound bad at the game
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.