[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Gears of War:UE was converted to DX12 and ran like shit on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9
>Gears of War:UE was converted to DX12 and ran like shit on launch
>Rise of the Tomb Raider has minor performance benefits but horrible memory leaks and crashes with Steam overlay.
>Hitman runs like shit
>Ashes of the Singularity looks good but doesn't justify it's performance. Many people are complaining about performance issues even on release.
Is DX12 a disaster?
>>
>>333200495

Yes
>>
>>333200495

The only disaster is your Nvidia GPU, should have bought AMD
>>
>>333200495
Pascal will save DX12
>>
>>333201449
>$0.15 has been deposited into your account
>>
If you guys knew anything you'd know that the current gen cards are not fully dx12. Some lack features both nvidia and amd. Maybe once actual dx12 cards come out we will see an improvement.
>>
>>333201643
He's not wrong. Maxwell is shit with DX12. It was simply not designed for it, unlike GCN.

Pic related. Nvidia performs worse with DX12 than DX11, while AMD is the other way around, as it's supposed to be if the gpu is designed around the new model.
>>
File: 2926299-5867114523-Revie.png (52 KB, 980x720) Image search: [Google]
2926299-5867114523-Revie.png
52 KB, 980x720
>>333203385
Another. Nvidia needs Pascal out asap, especially with AMD readying Polaris. DX12 games are coming and Maxwell simply wont do.

I pity the idiots that bought a 970 instead of a 290 or 390 in the past few months, or plan to buy one now.
>>
>>333203796
>I pity the idiots that bought a 970

I will enjoy seeing these braindead morons cry

They deserve every bit of it
>>
I remember reading that supporting both DX at the same time was the problem
>>
>>333205276
Why are AMDfags so fucking cancerous? It's not even just here, every Youtube video on GPU's is a mess of AMD owners whining about Nvidia. I swear people spend more time complaining about Nvidia than actually playing games.
>>
>>333205572
what do you expect m8. these are the same retards who swallow up rebranded chips year after year.
>>
is windows 10 even worth fucking with?
>>
>>333205572
Not even an AMDfag, but you have to be a smart consumer. Nvidia the last 2 years has been a terrible choice, especially the way they've been buttfucking their userbase.
>>
The only purpose of DX12 is to lure people into instally 10.
>>
>>333200495
The problem with many of these DX12 games is that they're not really DX12. They're hasty ports just like Talos Principle was to Vulkan except in addition to the new API they also have to deal with the limitations imporsed on games by UWP, its 'console mode', and the general low quality of Windows 10 due to its built in advertising and spyware.
>>
>>333206836
And being an AMD consumer is about waiting. You can't buy an AMD product for what it offers now, but what it may offer in the future.
>Zen will be good, promise!
>AMD might run DX12 better than Nvidia! (Despite the fact that every DX12 game has been unoptimized trash so far so it doesn't matter yet)
>AMD will eventually have HBM2! (Except their new cards won't)
>AMD will eventually support the latest versions of openGL! (AMD Linux support is so bad that most Linux games don't even officially support AMD. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS won't support AMD on release because they're too slow on overhauling their Catalyst drivers)
>>
>>333203385
>He's not wrong. Maxwell is shit with DX12. It was simply not designed for it, unlike GCN.

Of course AMD is going to do better with async, async is useful to do task while your GPU awaits for the next instructions which AMD hardware heavily suffers from, but unlike AMD, Nvidia hardware rarely idles.

Both architectures work completely differently, async solves the issue AMD has with bubbles(gaps) in his queue and now puts the more powerful hardware to actual use, Nvidia doesn't suffers from this so even if they had actual async they would gain barely anything from it beside just starting a few queues early.
>>
>>333200495

It's not a disaster, but it might as well be, because patching in support for DX12 after a game was designed for DX11 is not going to net as much benefits to performance as designing your game from the ground up with DX12 in mind.

Gears of War:UE is a DX9 port to DX12, and worse yet, it's a port (360 original to XB1) of a port (XB1 to PC). The fact that they had to spend such a large volume of time in "unfucking" the title with patches proves this to be true. Further, instead of updating the title into UE4, the devs decided to keep using the oldest fucking version of UE3 and shoehorn DX12 into that--which simply doesn't work properly if at all.

That said, MS rushed DX12 to the market as an answer to Vulkan. It uses Mantle as it's core, but doesn't do things significant enough to be a legit new API. It's a Frankenstein API that just happens to free up CPU overhead.

The problem really is the fact that all the titles, minus AoS, that claim to be DX12 compliant are not being designed for DX12 in mind and are also not being designed for DX12, because Nvidia's GPUs are not capable of Async compute. That's at least half the market right there that they can't properly target.

In a few years, it might be a different story once the playing field levels and devs have time with the API to properly develop titles for it--at least for those that bother to develop for DX12 from the ground up, which is going to be kickstarter titles and other independently funded publishers. Because I guarantee you that no publisher will push for DX12 native development for PC, because the otherwise already ridiculous gap between console and PC will become even wider.

But this also means that Vulkan, which seems to be a better built API as a competitor for DX12 has an equally better chance of market penetration. Holding out hope that VULKAN btfos DX12, because it's a non--competitor as it currently is & MS' UWP shtick isn't doing the industry ANY favors.
>>
>>333200495
>Hitman runs like shit
I run Hitman on DX12 and have no issues.
>>
DX12 is the biggest videogame meme of this decade.
It does nothing for people, it's just bait to get retards to transition to W10.
>>
>>333203796

Pascal won't help as it does not have a sync
>>
File: 1451788532640.jpg (3 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
1451788532640.jpg
3 KB, 249x250
>this thread
>people who bitch about AMD shills
>AMD has gutted their marketing department
>Nvidia's marketing department is probably larger than their R&D.
>>
>>333207735
Exactly. ^
>>
File: 1448425427225.jpg (119 KB, 796x805) Image search: [Google]
1448425427225.jpg
119 KB, 796x805
>>333200495

literally

asshurt
>>
File: catalyst_vs_mesa-bioshock.png (17 KB, 600x203) Image search: [Google]
catalyst_vs_mesa-bioshock.png
17 KB, 600x203
>>333207431
>(AMD Linux support is so bad that most Linux games don't even officially support AMD. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS won't support AMD on release because they're too slow on overhauling their Catalyst drivers)

They're not slow on overhauling Catalyst, they've flat out discontinued it for Linux. Catalyst is terrible, and on the whole offers nothing over the open source drivers because even though it supposedly supports OpenGL 4.3 practically nothing works with it, its so terribly unstable nothing will run, and its usually unplayable in its performance. Catalyst is not supported in Ubuntu 16.04 because it is not only not needed it is not wanted. The Open Source community has delivered where AMD could not and AMD had the good sense to hire those developers to work on their OpenCL and Vulkan support.

Several games that don't work on Catalyst do work on the open drivers, and after the most recent patches to Mesa and LLVM are merged the open drivers will support all of OpenGL 4.3 and will be very close to full OpenGL 4.5 compliance which will almost certainly happen this year.
>>
>>333207431
Indeed. My card just died on me. I'm waiting on this year's releases to upgrade.
>>
File: 1452243176784.jpg (110 KB, 1024x1113) Image search: [Google]
1452243176784.jpg
110 KB, 1024x1113
>>333200495

this may have nothing to do with dx12, but i would still love to take this oppertunity to remind you all of how the witcher 3 was supposed to look

and how the witcher 3 looked when it was actually released

this is because AMD cards would run the game better, and nvidia LTIERALLY payed the witcher devs millions of dollars to "optimize" the game to run better on nvidia shit

but this didnt work out right
it turns out, the devs had to literally downgrade everything to put nvidia on a even playing field with AMD

literally ruined an entire game just for nvidia cuck logo
>>
File: 200_48.jpg (16 KB, 589x340) Image search: [Google]
200_48.jpg
16 KB, 589x340
>>333200495
Every new API runs like shit on launch. Remember the clusterfuck that was DX11?
It's going to be a couple of years atleast until devs get their shit together and launch games that actually take full advantage of the new API. Also, both AMD and Nvidia need to make drivers to optimize for each game(s).
So far the new API is shit, hopefully, in the future it will improve.
>>
>>333209091
Its rumored this is also why the Linux version disappeared close to launch. The gameworks stuff was a late addition and fucked things up but the contract they signed with Nvidia forced them to go ahead.

Thankfully that contract is supposedly time limited and CDPR will be doing a full featured Vulkan release in the not too distant future.
>>
>>333209629
Here's the thing though, Source 2's Vulkan backend is already apparently faster than both OpenGL and DX11.
>>
>>333209636
Dude what
Nvidia is one of the major companies supporting Vulkan, along with Valve. They wouldn't stop CDPR from developing Witcher 3 for Vulkan.
>>
>>333209091
Even without gameworks being used it didn't run perfect. It's highly likely it was downgraded because almost the whole market couldn't run it like that.

That doesn't even factor the consoles which often run the game at a silky smooth 20 fps.
>>
>>333209091
paid*
>>
>>333210012
The Vulkan version wasn't going to be ready at launch no matter what. Its the possibility of an OpenGL release that went away.
>>
>>333203385

>1 frame improvement, easily within margin of error

DX12 IS SAVIOUR OF PC GAMING
>>
>>333209091

Yeah sure it was all nvidia making a game look worse and as such making their own high end cards less attractive to buyers, really good logic there, champ.

Surely couldn't be CDPRs sudden love for shitty consoles that have historically caused game downgrades due to shit ahrdware and platform parity.
>>
>>333201643
i wish i get that cuz i could use some money now.

nvidia isnt having a full dx12 support eventhough they're dx12 ready.
>>
File: t.jpg (22 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
t.jpg
22 KB, 350x350
>>333210753
That one actually got a laugh out of me.
>>
>>333210753

kek
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.