[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay I want to get into Warhammer lore and everything,is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
Okay I want to get into Warhammer lore and everything,is this game a good starting point
>>
>>333187685

I also want to know this. 40k seems really cool but I never had a chance to get into table top. But I like reading 40k fags talking about the lore whenever they come to threads here.

I wish it had some good video games that weren't RTS. I have Dawn of War in my backlog but I've played quit a lot of skirmish already. I like it. Is Space Marine a good game to play if I want to get into the lore too?
>>
>I want to get into the lore
>therefore I will play it a tangentially related game about the studio's own homebrew Chapter that doesn't even seem to abide by most of the universe's rules
This is you right now. Go read Matt Ward's codices while you're at it.
>>
If you want to get into lore you read the fucking codices

If you want a nice RTS with cool races you play Dow 1 + expansions
>>
Read the Lexicanicum about 40k factions or general history which intrigues you.

Then play that DoW, Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm, Space Marine.

If you like all that then maybe read some of the 40k novels. Horus Heresy (although they fluctuate in quality) and the Giant series are both generally solid.
>>
>>333187685
Though it requires knowledge of how to differentiate memes from facts, start with 1d4chan. It's more digestible than a wiki, but a Lexicanum and 40k Wiki are both good options for more grounded material. Start reading up on a faction you give a shit about, branch out from there.

Before DC/Soulstorm shitflinging starts, consider the following: 30k DoW. What would you like to see, if it was made?
>>
>>333189938
All the legions playable with varying units (sticking to the lore ofc) fighting over the galaxy. Maybe make the story 50/50 pre/post Heresy to mix things up a bit.

I do miss the solid storylines in DoW games. A 30k one would be amazing.
>>
File: 1367631948501.png (200 KB, 447x483) Image search: [Google]
1367631948501.png
200 KB, 447x483
>>333190176
>every legion as their own faction, with loyalist and traitor variants for the traitorous half
>xpac with Solar Auxilia and Skitarii
>>
>>333187685
Be warned that dawn of war 2 is very different from 1.

1 is more of a traditional RTS while 2 is kind of an action RPG in the campaign and the multiplayer is more company of heroes.
>>
>>333187685
Read 1d4chan.
>>
>>333187685
Yes, don't listen to those faggots telling you to read 1d4chan before playing the game: play DoW first and then read articles when you want to know more
>>
>>333190586
Would play. Could do so much with Primarch models and skills.

>tfw never be able to lead a World Eaters legion headed by Angron and Kharn to destroy dirty xenos

Feelsbadman
>>
OP here I'm reading the Lexicanicum I'm liking the Chaos factions so far,but are the dark gods only relevant in the books,and why does Imperium consider them a threat when they make trillions of the population in the galxy
>>
>>333189221
Space marine just answers the millenia old question.

What would it feel like to be a angel of death.

Lore wise. No game will help you.

Read! Mutant.
READ!
>>
>>333191064
No, don't. 1d4chan is essentially a massive satire on Warhammer and Games Workshop. If he reads it he'll have no idea what is funny because he won't understand the jokes or references.

>>333189221
>Is Space Marine a good game to play if I want to get into the lore too?
What you'll understand from playing Space Marine is why everyone hates Ultramarines. It doesn't shed much light on lore but it's fun and worth playing regardless. You need to read material to understand the lore or listen to some audiobooks from black library.
>>
>>333194096
The dark Gods in the games and tabletop mostly consist of the same 4, Tzeentch (Change), Slaanesh (Pleasure), Nurgle (Decay) and Khorne (War). They're a threat because they can tempt and turn not only the Imperial Guard but Space Marines as well. They offer gifts to champions who serve them for a long time with the ultimate one being an immortal daemon form.
>>
>>333194096
Yes, the Imperium considers them a threat and thus they suppress their population and operate militarily in a way that tries to counter them, IE minimalist existences in service of the Emperor. What you should know is that the Dark Gods are kept secret from the vast, vast majority of the Imperium. There are also many worlds that have no idea what is going on in the Galaxy, either having contact with no one or not having contact with the Imperium for decades or even centuries.
>>
>>333187685
What exactly do you wanna know about the lore?

The rise of humanity?
The emperor?
Chaos?
The war in heaven (before humans)?
Tyranids?
Fall of the Eldar?

All of it?
>>
>>333195439
Probably all of it,but as of right now Chaos and the Dark Gods have my attention right now
>>
>>333195416
>There are also many worlds that have no idea what is going on in the Galaxy, either having contact with no one or not having contact with the Imperium for decades or even centuries.
So I'm assuming the ones that lost contact with the Imperium has been seduce by Chaos,this is interesting I'll have to read more into it
>>
>>333195570
The Horus Heresy is definitely worth looking into, then. The novels are fantastic too. That will shed light on the current form of the Imperium and how it was shaped from an imperialist, technologically advanced mega-empire into a bureaucratic, surrounded-on-all-sides dictatorship.
>>
>>333195570
The empyrean is a sea, a reflection of the emotions and actions of psychic-attuned races (humans, eldar, etc). If there was no one around to stir it up, it would be calm and empty.
Instead, it is boiling with impossible currents and energies. These currents sometimes achieve sentience, or something similar, and thus a daemon is born.
The chaos gods are just the 4 largest and most powerful of these beings in the warp.
>>
>>333195907
>So I'm assuming the ones that lost contact with the Imperium has been seduce by Chaos,this is interesting I'll have to read more into it

Not necessarily. They're worlds that have been forgotten, overlooked, or communication is impossible for some reason. Worlds fall to Chaos for a variety of reasons, and it's always noticed by the Imperium if it's under their control. Perhaps a planetary governor was seduced into forbidden luxuries, or a cult summons a greater daemon, etc.
>>
>>333195570
The warp is basically just a different dimension that was a calm place. The old ones tried to weaponise it and this made shit all stir up in the warp.

Emotions power the warp and the emotions of the galaxies creatures coalesced into 4 main gods.

I believe nurgle is the oldest brother? (Maybe khorne) He varys between the 3rd and 1st strongest god, hes all about death, decay, despair, hoplessness

Khorne is the strongest god and is all about rage and blood and murder and anger and war

Tzeentch is usually 2nd strongest, All magicy and about changing shit and is all about ambition and hope and plotting/ backstabbing

Slaanesh is the youngest brother born from the Eldar just basically having such crazy ass sex orgies. Slaanesh is all about excess and pleasure, so anything you are like obsessed with or do in excess. Sex, drugs, rock and roll

Each of the gods makes their own demons from their power. They pretty much enjoy the way the galaxy is atm, all the war and infighting and despair feeds them nicely, but theyre greedy and always want more
>>
>>333196312
>>333196431
>>333196807
Thanks for the simple explanations,still reading into the wiki,but I'll definitely check out books.I just have one more question if the gods are made up of human emotions,than why are they so genocidal and piss off all the time
>>
>>333187685
>Okay I want to get into Warhammer lore and everything
EVERYONE FIGHTS

NO ONE QUITS
>>
>>333187685
Yes. Play this. All of it. And I mean the expansions too. Browse /tg/ on the side. Good luck. Praise the Emperor.
>>
>>333187685
Yes OP for it with this game, it was exactly the way I got into 40K.
>>
>>333189491
Autism aside, the DoW series is probably the most well done title warhammer has to offer. If you're hankering for 40k and a new strategy/squad game, it is definitely worth a try.

DoW has some of the best unit voice actors too
>>
>>333198271
Wrong universe dumbdumb.

10/10 taste though.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
If you want to experience the 40k universe play this. Granted, it's buggy and doesnt work on Windows 10 but no other game was got so close to the perfect 40k gothic.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.