[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do kids these days enjoy watching people play games more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: 1375640231311.jpg (120 KB, 504x403) Image search: [Google]
1375640231311.jpg
120 KB, 504x403
Why do kids these days enjoy watching people play games more than they enjoy actually playing the games themselves?
Why even /v/ isn't free from this bullshit anymore?
>>
>>333166292
I came to the conclusion that most anons here are in fact babies, because they are born after 1990.
>>
I like to watch videos of games I don't own but want to see and am subbed to this dude who plays DMC4 SE to the point you'd think he was dante.

Also fuck off with your "ahh im older than you" garbage. My nephew grew up with sega, n64 and I even showed him how to put a rig together. He's 14 and already better than 90% of /v/.
>>
>>333166292
Because they have no friends.

Having some drinks and kinda hanging out as I "speedrunned" dark souls as my friends watched was kinda entertaining, like doing offline LP for couple of people.
>>
Why do kids these days enjoy watching people play sports more than they enjoy actually playing the sports themselves?
Why even /sp/ isn't free from this bullshit anymore
>>
They're lazy. Watching is easier than doing.
Also the friend by proxy thing.

They think they actually have a connection when they use Dad's money to donate to the streamer and the guy says "Poopfeast420swag, thanks for the donation bruh" and proceeds to never acknowledge them again.
Or when they like, favorite and subscribe for bro points or whatever.

Look at any Twitch chat or Youtube comments list, it's all kids.
>>
I personally only watch playthroughs of story driven games specifically for reactions like Ace Attorney

Gameplay wise i don't give 2 shits, it is stupid.
>>
>>333166692
It's also stupid for the first part.
Why do you give a shit what some some nobody's reactions are?
>>
File: 1450640837409.png (296 KB, 432x429) Image search: [Google]
1450640837409.png
296 KB, 432x429
>>333166292
Games ain't good enough.
>>
>>333166568
People have been spectating sports for decades and even centuries. Playing sports takes actual physical effort.
Watching cunts is a very new phenomena that only surfaced in the last ~5 years, and only went into complete overdrive around 2014. Playing games takes exactly as much effort and watching someone do it.
>>
>>333166292

modern gaming sucks,
>>
>>333166968
>People have been spectating sports for decades and even centuries.
>Watching cunts is a very new phenomena

Make up your mine already
>>
>>333166568
This is such a dumb comparison.
>>
>>333166568
This is exactly why I don't watch sports though. I would play it myself if I were interested.
>>
>>333166568
>comparing video games to sports

I bet you're one of those people that think that e-sports are actual sports and that Starcraft should be part of the Olympics.
>>
File: 1459443901582.png (52 KB, 203x209) Image search: [Google]
1459443901582.png
52 KB, 203x209
>>333167330
except it's not and is literally the same thing
>>
>>333166292
It's fucking shit but isn't too strange. I mean, I watched my brother play games, but we were usually taking turns. Such is the evolution of culture.
>>333167241
He means watching people play vidya. Fuck, spectating has been going for probably millennia though, them Romans and South Americans liked that stuff
>>
>>333166292
its all the fun of video games and friends but with the absent-mindedness of watching tv
>>
>>333166568
Always loved this stupid comparison.

To get the same experience as, say, a football player, you need
>a couple dozen players who are all physically capable
>expensive equipment
>an even more expensive field to rent out
>coaches
>medical staff in case of injury

In order to get the same experience as a streamer, you need
>the game
>the system it requires
>possibly internet
Which are things you either already have or can pick up easily from a store.

That said, the comparison is extra dumb because it completely misses the point of streaming. People watch that garbage for the players, not the games. Nobody watches NFL so they can see how Tebow reacts to everything, though it might be a nice bonus. The game itself is the main attraction.
>>
>>333166292
I watch games released now like Quantum Break but I have more fun playing games from 2005.
>>
Take your meds Grandpa.
>>
>>333168243
>expensive equipment/field/coaches
go play with your friends in fucking field idiot

>medical staff in case of injury
its called a "phone" you press the buttons 911 and they show up to help you
>>
I can either play dota2 or SC2 myself and fail constantly because Im absoltue garbage at both or I can watch godlike players perform amazing feats of gaming and make moves/perform strategies I couldn't come up with or execute even if I played the game for 20 years straight

It's exactly the same as rather watching Messi or Ronaldinho kick a ball around than doing it myself. Im just not able to the the things he does

Lets plays are cancer though whats wrong with you, why would anyone do this if they have a computer capable of running said game and not a moralfag that doesn't pirate
>>
>>333166292
I prefer lets plays without the commentary, those are so rare to find these days. Something about watching the game play itself while I'm laying in bed is comfy.
>>
>>333168445
Would YOU watch a party of four or five random schmucks playing just a random game, or a team of professionals in a professional match?
>>
>>333168445
>go play with your friends in fucking field idiot
That's not even close to the same experience. It would be like playing modern vidya on an 18 inch tube TV, which is an issue most people don't have to think about
>>
>>333166292
A lot of kids don't have their own money to go out and buy a game. Their parents aren't going to just go get it because they asked most of the time, so watching it is the next best thing.

It's not rocket science
>>
File: shrugging senile.jpg (82 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
shrugging senile.jpg
82 KB, 384x313
>>333166292
Because games nowadays are becoming shittier, more half-assed, and more and more like movies so the difference between playing and watching a no-commentary playthrough pretty much amounts to the amount of money on your bank account.
>>
>>333167793
it isn't, most people who like streamers say they watch for the streamer and not the game. that'd be like sports fans saying they watch for the announcers and not the sport.
>>
I was, at one point, doing a 120 star Mario 64 LP. Not because I expected it to be viewed, or anything, but because I really love the game and I just wanted something archival out there of me playing it and adding my own small bit of flair to the experience. I enjoyed it and will probably continue it soon.
>>
>>333166292
>implying you didn't ever go over to your friend/cousin/whatever to watch him play exclusives on consoles you didn't have.
>>
>>333169378
That is incredibly narcissistic.

>Not because I expected it to be viewed
Lies.
>>
>>333169540
When you're talentless in every other regard, doing something as simple as a Let's Play allows you to feel that you're contributing *something* to a game that you really like. It's fun and I enjoyed it before I got too busy to continue. I enjoyed it even though it never got viewed, the process was therapeutic.
>>
>>333166545

Link to the channel?
>>
>>333166292
Modern games are so shitty they rather laugh at other people's frustration with said shitty games than suffer through them themselves.
>>
>>333166292

Because video game development has retarded this past decade and actual gameplay is stagnant and boring, the only cookie crumbs keeping most going are based on curiosity for fragments of half hearted "plot" that can easily be YouTube and save $60
>>
>>333170275
>>333170192
>>333168994
>>333166971
people watch LPs for whatever personality the person playing is you dummies

they don't actually care about the games being played
>>
File: 1405918412185.gif (92 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1405918412185.gif
92 KB, 500x377
>LPs became so popular to the point where "streamers" get a copy of the game weeks before the official release
>>
>>333168829
World of Longplays

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVi6ofFy7QyJJrZ9l0-fwbQ
>>
>>333170476
What about no commentary walkthroughs?
>>
>>333170476
that's complete and utter bullshit. but i believe it.

i think it varies from person to person. some watch for the game while others watch for the personalities.
>>
>>333170967
nobody watches those except people actually wanting to research a game, or people wanting to see a certain part again.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.