[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post Mary Sue characters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9
File: Elma.png (187 KB, 320x619) Image search: [Google]
Elma.png
187 KB, 320x619
I'll start.
>>
>>333163498

Is she? Haven't got that far into the game yet so I had no idea
>>
>>333163776
It's not that alien of a concept anon.
>>
Her and Doug were like the only characters I could put up with in that shit game.
>>
>>333163498
Don't believe her lies.
>>
>>333163776
No one except for the villains ever criticizes her or questions her actions, and other characters sometimes even credit her for your accomplishments.
Her only "flaws" are that she is average at things that don't involve combat, but this is downplayed and never really treated as a big deal.
>>
>>333164030
>No one except for the villains ever criticizes her or questions her actions
Same for you
Or Doug
Or Irina
Or Gwin
Or Hope
>>
>>333164767
>Or Doug
>Or Irina
>Or Gwin
>Or Hope
None of these characters play a big enough part in the story for anyone to criticize them. Their actions don't matter to the plot.
>>
File: Jynx.png (165 KB, 890x800) Image search: [Google]
Jynx.png
165 KB, 890x800
>you wake up
>five minutes later learn how to fight and yet able to keep up with Elma
>for the next few months do just as much if not more work than Elma
>only people in side quests recognize you because everyone else is too busy sucking her ass
>>
File: Rose.jpg (89 KB, 1000x1429) Image search: [Google]
Rose.jpg
89 KB, 1000x1429
>>
>>333164767
>Hope

Everybody shits on Hope.
>>
>>333164895
So what you're saying is that the only characters that matter are Elma and the villains. No fucking shit only the villains criticize her since there's no other characters to criticize her.
>>
>>333165178
Lao and Doug criticize her but quickly admit they were wrong to do so.
>>
>>333164030
A Mary Sue is far beyond being just that, your definition could apply to a ton of characters. Other characters are still allowed to shine all the time throughout the game and most of the characters never really acknowledge her. A Mary Sue is the only one who saves the day everytime and every non-villain character is in adoration of her. In fact, when she tries to get bossy around Chausson he quickly reminds her of her position. Another point is that Mary Sue often come from a lower position and perform better than those higher in the hierarchy (A citizen being better than a soldier, a low-ranking soldier outperforming his general, etc.) Which doesn't apply to Elma at all since she's the boss of her team. And Mary Sue is originally a term for author self-insert, which doesn't apply at all to Elma.
>>
>>333165840
>Other characters are still allowed to shine all the time throughout the game
When? Elma is the only one besides the MC who does anything significant.
>and most of the characters never really acknowledge her
Bullshit, everyone in NLA is always going on about how smart, strong, and beautiful she is. Hell, they even say exactly as much during one of Lao's affinity quests.
>>
>>333164923
ugh. dont remind me.
>>
>>333166209
>When?
Every single sidequests? In regular sidequests your character is the star, and in affinity quests it's you or the character or both.

>Bullshit, everyone in NLA is always going on about how smart, strong, and beautiful she is.
Barely a few NPCs, most NPCs never mention her, from the playable characters the only one that really praise her are Irina, Gwin and Lin which makes sense since they worked/are working under her. Lao and Doug treat her like any other character, most of the other playable characters like Phog, Frye, Alexa, etc. never even mention or talk to her.
>>
File: batman-634742.jpg (33 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
batman-634742.jpg
33 KB, 590x350
He wins at everything for being just Batman
>>
>>333168312
And you love him for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 300x240
>>333163887
Ay lmao I see what you did there
>>
>>333163498
>that scene after the first fight against Ryzz where she acts like we have won and rubs it under Ryzz's nose
>despite them only being a diversion, destroying half of NLA and their forces and the actual attack-team getting exactly what they want
>game acts like Elma did a sick burn or something
That was awkward.
>>
File: 1453305636249.jpg (51 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
1453305636249.jpg
51 KB, 720x479
>>333164030
That isn't enough to make someone a Mary Sue.
She's just the good ol' savvy tenant stereotype, a Mary Sue goes even beyond that and becomes "pshh teleport behind u" tier.
>>
>>333170360
>despite them only being a diversion
>the actual attack-team getting exactly what they want
We don't know that yet in that scene

>destroying half of NLA
Not true at all, nothing gets destroyed
>>
File: 2669315-geralt1[1].jpg (65 KB, 980x551) Image search: [Google]
2669315-geralt1[1].jpg
65 KB, 980x551
>>
>>333168312
He's not walking into someone else's show halfway through and upstaging them.

You also resolutely fail to deal with some stuff entirely successfully and simply cannot contain the situation completely. You barely manage to keep it from going completely to hell. True, nobody else could have done that against such extreme odds, but it's not like the outcomes in any of the Arkham games are exactly optimal.

Things are a fucking mess by the end. People are dead. Usually a lot of people. You get lead around by the nose or are just plain unable to find a good opportunity to shut a lot of the Rogues fat mouths by punching their teeth down their throats for some time during gameplay. You have to dedicate a decent amount of effort to dealing with even the most petty of them. The "Bad" ones like the Joker and oddly, the Riddler (who put on his "I'M SO FUCKING MAD" Bigboy schemer pants) fucking bedevil you.

You look like a fucking chump. True, you have other things to deal with, and true, Joker is A-Lister material, but still. You don't just slam your Bat Crotch on their face repeatedly and just smack them down effortlessly. (Well, you do when you finally lay your hands on them, but that's tricky. And the Joker is rather capable of not even condescending to that kind of thing, a lot. Why have a fair fight? You WILL kick his ass. That's certain.)

You have to play their games for really quite a long time.
>>
File: 1458923497879.jpg (72 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
1458923497879.jpg
72 KB, 720x690
Are affinity missions worth doing?

I don't like any of these characters.

I keep doing Heart-to-Hearts hoping something interesting finally comes up and nothing ever does.

I don't even care that I missed Lao's bullshit because he was such a crap character. I hope he stays in that robot juice fixing pod forever.
>>
>>333170902
Go home, Yahtzee.
>>
>>333171252
In the post-game you get a repeatable quest to grind affinity. Affinity missions unlock arts for your character. You didn't miss anything since Lao's affinity missions are a requirement for the story, you've already done them.
>>
>>333170902
More like his daughter is a mary sue.
>>
>>333171252
Some of them are really good. HB's and Boze's missions are great.
Others are just trash. For example, Irina's last affinity mission focuses on two NPCs who get introduced in that mission and are never seen again. She's barely even a part of it.
>>
Mario
>>
>>333172417
Rose fucking almost kills those kids
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.