[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The acceptance of this game destroyed the Paper Mario series.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 41
File: super-paper-mario.jpg (254 KB, 520x734) Image search: [Google]
super-paper-mario.jpg
254 KB, 520x734
The acceptance of this game destroyed the Paper Mario series. Not Sticker Star. Sticker Star was simply the result of the acceptance of this game.

If you use excuses like "but at least it was good on its own, even though it wasn't a true Paper Mario game", you are part of what killed the Paper Mario series.
>>
This.

And the worst part? It hets a pass even though the platforming is fucking shit. Its really, really bland.

Like everything else is good to decent, but if the gameplay is shit we shouldnt hate the change? Fuck spm fags.

>but it was good!
Oh fuck off
>>
File: blunder of the century.png (1 MB, 1176x1022) Image search: [Google]
blunder of the century.png
1 MB, 1176x1022
>implying
>>
>>333163693
>>but it was good!
When people say this, I don't even think they believe it. I think they're just repeating what they heard others on the internet say, and they can't think for themselves and formulate their own opinions.

I'm content to just admit that it's a shitty game.
>>
>SPM has one thing bad
>Sticker Star has everything bad
>This makes SPM worse somehow
>>
>>333163860
>said no one ever
>>
>>333162794
Nah thats wrong

Paper Mario is getting ruined because of the acceptance of blandness and unoriginality in the story and settings.

Super Paper Mario wasn't an RPG but it is just as original and creative in it's story and setting as the first two.
>>
>>333163974
>it is just as original and creative in it's story and setting as the first two.
No it's not
>>
Nah, Super Paper Mario was great,
>>
>>333163974
Namb didnt make sticker stars gameplay. People would have liked that if it was like the first two despite the nsmb.
>>
>>333162794
At least Super Paper Mario had an entertaining story with diverse characters and partners.

That doesn't explain the extreme lack of everything that Sticker Star took out of this game.
>>
>>333162794
Let's be honest, folks, your default was Peach, right?
>>
>>333164287
I played as Luigi and NOTHING BUT Luigi.
>>
There's nothing wrong with it. It kept the same style and tone as the other games while making it clear it was a platformer and not an RPG.

And then SS comes in pretending it's an RPG like the old games you remember despite being nothing like them. Even down to the aesthetics and music.
>>
>>333164124
>>333164353
The average spm post.

>No, it was good!
Gameplay was shit and you're shit.
>>
>>333164463
Please don't tell me The Thousand Year Backtrack is your favorite game.
>>
>>333163860
SPM
>Awful character design, it's a stretch to even call it character design really.
>Bland as all hell platforming that did nothing new or interesting
>Combat had nothing to make it lively and all it did was make it so you have to jump on the goomba twice instead of once
>Nothing in the world was threatening.

SPM was trash.
>>
>>333163974
Original toward the end. The beginning is literally Treehouse/Reddit tier writing and the first 4 worlds are generic as all get out.

Also Flipside is just artistic boredom, literally ripping off the only unique characters from past Paper Mario games, and then making characters out of like one square and triangle. Not to mention reusing characters in a city that is that tiny.
>>
>>333164463
>Gameplay was shit and you're shit.
>stop liking things that I don't like
>>
>>333164672
Please don't tell me you would play spm over literally any other mario platformer.
>>
>>333164738
nice maymay dude where can i subscribe XD
>>
>>333164226
>Diverse characters and Partners

You mean the Pixels that didn't say a single word after you got them, and most of what they did say was just a bland "I am following you now" statement?

Because there weren't any OC partners in SPM, just tools with faces drawn on them like a certain paintbucket pal.
>>
>>333162794
PM=TTYD>>>>>SPM>>>>>SS
PM does some things better and TTYD does other things better.
>>
>>333164814
>Can't refute any points so just calls it a meme

Cool shitpost bro.
>>
>>333164226
>Diverse characters and partners
The 6 bosses maybe, but not the partners. The pixls have like 1 line of dialogue each, and don't have any history at all, other than "they are just there!"

PM has always strived on simple story telling and character building, but SPM lacks pretty much all of the latter.
>>
>>333164738
The characters made out of shapes was really ugly. A clear step down from past design. I don't remember reusing much though
>>
File: image.gif (250 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
250 KB, 500x500
>>333162794
I'll buy it, but I still had a good time with this one despite that.
>>
>>333162794
I don't get how people gloss over the fact that SPM is a platformer yet has some of the worst platforming mechanics in Mario history. Like literally every area is designed so horribly, and lacks pretty much any challenge. At least in PM/TTYD you could play around with badges and shit to make the easy gameplay interesting.
>>
SPM is so fun that I'm glad it exists and prefer that it exist over another turn based game for variety. It's just a step behind the first two games. What a sick world to live in where you only enjoy 2 fantastic Paper Mario games and not 3. Sad!
>>
Super Mario RPG on the SNES, and Paper Mario 64 are the only good Mario RPGs. TTYD has too many shitty chapters in it to call it a good game. SPM and onward obviously suck, and the entire M&L series sucks too.
>>
>>333165180
Its basically an awful stripped mario platformer in terms of layout, except you have to jump on enemies repeatedly to attempt to emulate some sort of rpg experience. Which it isnt. It's just a dulled down platformer, but people excusebit because they think good npc interaction excuses the rest of the mechanics
>>
File: 1374720205855.png (67 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1374720205855.png
67 KB, 625x626
>>333165372
>TTYD has too many shitty chapters in it to call it a good game
>>
>>333162794
Agreed, platforming was shit and so was combat. It was a hybrid that somehow failed to take anything good from either platformers or rpgs, not to mention the terrible artstyle which didn't look like paper in the slightest and turned even more shitty when flipped in 3D.
>b-but muh story
You don't play rpgs just for the story and you definitely don't play a platformer with shallow rpg elements such as this game such for the story.
>>
>>333165586
>You don't play rpgs just for the story

t. underage
>>
>>333165586
*such as this game just for the story
>>
>>333165637
I sure played FFI for the story.
>>
Game was painfully okay. Game design was lacking. It felt rushed, especially once the flipping becomes grating.

Partners as tools was disappointing.
>>
>>333165836
>partners as tools felt grating
>Sushi and Lakilester could have been replaced with a kickboard and a bundle of balloons respectively
>>
>>333162794
The reason Super Paper Mario wasn't an RPG, is because it was in development alongside Partners in Time. Which was.
>>
>>333165382
Yep, the layout of the levels is the worst offender though, whoever designed the levels couldn't figure out that to make a game with more platforming mechanics, you should make levels that require at least decent platforming instead of the same thing every fucking level. We got like the PM rpg levels which are meant to be simplistic instead of actual decent platforming.
>>
I fucking hate Super Paper Mario. And it's not that I'm a huge fan of the previous games, I enjoyed Paper Mario and never played much of TTYD to begin with.

Everything about SPM grinds my fucking gears. The gameplay is utter dogshit, the characters and long cutscenes are annoying, the "story" is boring, overwrought and wow I just don't care.

Also the music fucking sucks too.
>>
>>333165929
Which TTYD improved upon. You know, how games are meant to improve with their sequels? And they still had personality so even they were better.
>>
>>333162794
>Game has a fun-ish gimmick
>Partners return, giving more exploration tools
>music was good
>story was Paper Mario-y
>worlds had interesting ideas and variety
I won't say it's as good as the first 2, but honestly, it had a lot going for it.
>>
>>333166220
lol
>>
>>333165552
The first 3 chapters were bad. Of the remaining chapters, the only memorable things were the train chapter and the end of the game. Everything else was very average and forgettable.
>>
File: 1425003674958.gif (2 MB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
1425003674958.gif
2 MB, 250x200
>>333166324
>>Game has a fun-ish gimmick
>can't even directly call it "fun" because you know it's not true
Why are you defending this shit?
>>
File: 1450034987794.png (38 KB, 562x519) Image search: [Google]
1450034987794.png
38 KB, 562x519
>>333166868
>he didnt like Petal meadow
>he didnt like the Glitzpit
>he didnt like Boggly woods
Jesus christ man what would be fun to you?
>>
>>333167137
I mean I personally found it fun even though it adds no real depth no pun intended to the game.
Point is, I think it's fun worlds and a partner system that makes Paper Mario fun, not the battle system. Of course the turn-based RPG type is the preferred way of playing, but any kind of turn-based system begins to get tedious at some point.
>>
>>333167205
>>he didnt like Petal meadow
Very boring and basic; typical intro crap.
>>he didnt like the Glitzpit
You just do 20 fights, it's boring. A kindergartener could have made this chapter.
>>he didnt like Boggly woods
It's a cheap Chinese pikmin knockoff with a big fat purple bitch
>Jesus christ man what would be fun to you?
Everything in PM64, particularly the toy box and the island / volcano
>nb4 those aren't fun, but these shitty chapters from TTYD sure are
>>
>>333162794
You are correct, this game essentially signed the death warrant for Paper Mario's gameplay, however it still had a strong story and decent characters. Sticker Star killed off the rest of what made Paper Mario good all by itself.
>>
it was a good game though
>>
TTYD purists are literally the worst group of Nintendo fans

SPM actually has a BETTER story than TTYD
>>
>>333167497
>nb4 those aren't fun, but these shitty chapters from TTYD sure are
Damn straight :^))))
>>
>>333167906
SPM is the only mario game that has a story.
>>
>>333167497
Dude, people don't like Chapter 3 because of the fights. They like it because of the setting. And settings for TTYD were much more unique than 64.
>>
File: 1459294688193.png (9 KB, 271x288) Image search: [Google]
1459294688193.png
9 KB, 271x288
>>333167906
>prioritizing story and plot
>not characters and worlds
>>
I loved SPM for what it was, but I can admit that there was a lot of bland.
>>
The gameplay is shit, but SPM was enjoyable because it had a fun setting, memorable characters and interesting scenarios. This made it a disappointment compared to the first two Paper Mario games, which had all of that and also had good gameplay.

Sticker Star (and it looks like Colour Splash as well) have incredibly generic settings, uninspired levels, and bigger versions of Mario enemies for bosses. And all the NPC's are generic Toads with no personality. In addition to this, they are also not fun to play.

So yeah, this game was a step down, but I'd still gladly take another game on the same level as SPM over another fucking Sticker Star.
>>
>>333169148
I liked Super Paper Mario, these are the types of reason why I hate the Paper Mario Fanbase
>>
>>333162794
>>333163693
It was good. The Mario and luigi series is better anyways so let it keep the RPG gameplay and take it from paper mario
>>
>>333169383

SPM did have good characters and worlds though
some of them I honestly would say are better than some in TTYD as well

people complain that Mario games are too formulaic these days when it comes to worlds and characters like just using toads a lot and stuff like that but SPM was one of the games that was the least like that
SPM feels like it takes place in an entirely different universe from pretty much every other Mario game
>>
>>333170103
This.
>fighting samurais during an apocalypse
>traveling through space to look for toilet paper
>robbing an otaku lizard
>dying and going to hell

beats the shit out of the formulaic shit that most new Mario games (including Sticker Star) are shitting out
>>
>>333170103
>SPM did have good characters and worlds though
Yeah, fair enough. I just thought the TTYD worlds had more intrigue behind them and while the Pixls are bland, the different playable characters kinda make up for it. I honestly like both games.
>>
File: 9ab.png (90 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
9ab.png
90 KB, 618x618
>>333166220
>Also the music fucking sucks too.
>>
>>333162794
Sticker Star was developed because of BACKLASH to this game, not because people liked this game. If people liked this game, Sticker Star would have been full of goofy story shit. Instead it was a complete 180.
>>
>>333170421
>>fighting samurais during an apocalypse
that was fucking awful and I hated its execution.
>>
>>333170656
Fair. The execution wasn't great, but at least the setting was cool, with the Sammer Guys upholding their duty even as the world around them is ending. Imagine how much of a drag a set of battles like that would've been on a first playthrough if it took place in Generic Grassland #3495.
>>
>>333170103
>SPM feels like it takes place in an entirely different universe from pretty much every other Mario game

Absolutely smash there man! That came to my mind as well that Super Paper Mario took the risk by doing something different and I liked. Funnily enough the M&L Fanbase are literally laughing at the Paper Mario Fans
>>
If it had just kept the turn-based battle screen on top of everything else it did instead of combat that essentially boiled down to "jump on em" it'd be a solid 9/10, maybe even 9.5. The settings, story, exploration of worlds, etc were creative enough to match TTYD and well done. Especially with the additions of 3D flipping and more main party members than just Mario.

As it stands, I'd give it a 7.5/10. Not great and not to the level of the first two, but above average.
>>
>>333162794
>Sticker Star Bowser
>after SPM Bowser exists
SPM did not cause this
>>
>>333170592
It was developed because Miyamoto can't listen. One thing good about SPM is the story, but Miyamoto hates stories since they're challenging so he came up with the likely-bullshit "Club Nintendo says so!" excuse. There was a lower attach rate for Sticker Shit than for SPM or for TTYD. I can't believe he's repeating the same general idea.
>>
File: 1458770455001.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1458770455001.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>333162794
Fuck off.

TTYD is my favorite game, but you Anti-anything but turn based paper mario fags are really starting to piss me off.

Why can' they just co-exist? We have 2 great games we can always go back and play anytime we want. Newsflash: Different people have different tastes. Sure, I prefer the more RPG designs of the first two, but super is far from bad or a step in the wrong direction.

Mario at heart, is a platformer, whats so bad about a platform-centric mario RPG?

You act like TTYD or 64 is unplayable now due to it being more then two years old. Not everything needs to be Final fantasy and have 13+ titles. 2 was plenty, 3 was neat, 4 and now 5 are just fucking pushing it.
>>
>>333170883
Turn Pixls into legit partners and we've got a deal.
>>
>>333167906
BLAHAHAHAHA BLEK
>>
>>333171019
TANABE
A
N
A
B
E
>>
File: what.jpg (22 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
22 KB, 575x323
>>333162794
>Sticker Star was simply the result of the acceptance of this game.

But Sticker Star's main problem was that they dropped the writing and plot and turned it into a generic mario game with a turnbased twist. Super Paper Mario has the most dialogue and writing in any Mario RPG.
>>
>>333171239
SPM was too easy IMO. That really was my only gripe. I thought it was fun.
>>
>>333162794
The problem isn't that sticker star isn't like the old paper mario games.

The problem is that sticker star sucks.

>>333167137
You know, I watched ten minutes of that movie and bailed. The guy seemed like too much of a whiny cunt. Does it really get better/funnier?
>>
>>333171239
>Why can' they just co-exist?
I don't know. But Nintendo clearly has some reason since we haven't gotten a Paper Mario RPG in over a decade.

>Mario at heart, is a platformer, whats so bad about a platform-centric mario RPG?
Because it doesn't work, or at least Nintendo can't make it work.

>2 was plenty, 3 was neat, 4 and now 5 are just fucking pushing it.
We only have 2 though so I don't know what the fuck you're on about.
>>
File: M and l.png (231 KB, 1068x1956) Image search: [Google]
M and l.png
231 KB, 1068x1956
The only thing Sticker Star, Paper Jam and Color splash are guilty of is excluding the interesting locales and characters both Alphadream and Inteligent systems came up with.

I'm fucking tired of Goomba/koopa/toads in all these new games.

Every mario RPG had something unique,

The Smithy gang
Stars sprites
X-nauts, Shadow sirens
Flipside/Flopside
Beanbean kingdom
Shroobs
Fawfulized creatures
Pii'lo

And not just the residents, the enemies too. Even the one who were generic mario enemies, had some sort of spin to them, Tutankoopa, Macho Grubba, The underchomp,

And then you got outlandish cool shit like the Chuckolalator, Rawk hawk, Dimentio, Crystal king, Axem rangers, etc.

But its those outlandish ideas that made the game memorable. Now its what, Petey pirahna for the umpteenth time and GASP, STICKER Petey pirahna! WOW!
>>
>>333171019
Miyamoto wasn't even in charge of sticker star. Literally all he said was to draw from existing characters and enemies. They could have done a lot with that, and that was just his PERSONAL OPINION, not a direct order.
>>
It's not Super Paper Mario to blame, interviews outright said that they removed story in Sticker Star because Miyamoto wanted paper mario to follow a more generic mario plotline with generic mario characters and nothing "out of the ordinary".

SPM is one of the most out-there and most craziest mario games in terms of concepts and Miyamoto really didn't like that.

Miyamoto killed paper mario.
>>
>>333171939
Spot on.
>>
>>333172225
Have you ever worked a job in your life, you stupid fuck? If your boss offers his "personal opinion" you are expected to follow it to the letter.
>>
still the best song in the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsvd5pZgT8o
>>
>>333162794
This game was one of the most boring games I've ever played.

Anyone who likes it has shit taste.
>>
>>333171548
Too bad Super Paper Mario isn't an RPG. That's why it's a shitty game, it's a platformer that pretends it's an RPG.
>>
>>333172443
>reading comprehension
>calls me a stupid fuck

Miyamoto is in charge of IS now?
>>
>>333167205
Most of ttyd settings were cool but come on, Boggly Woods is the low-point of the game.
>>
>>333172517
Not bad, but I raise your sammer guy with space techno:

https://youtu.be/gVQTGxOA7dQ
>>
>>333172616
>IS is first party to nintendo
>Miyamoto is in charge of nintendo
>Durrr, does IS work for their boss now?
>>
File: pmttydwoods2.png (459 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pmttydwoods2.png
459 KB, 640x480
>>333172720
Not him but how? I admit all other points are higher, but Boggly woods is fucking beautiful. Just look at that atmosphere.
>>
>>333172829
>>Miyamoto is in charge of nintendo

Top meme
>>
File: 1326298014278.jpg (73 KB, 540x428) Image search: [Google]
1326298014278.jpg
73 KB, 540x428
>>333172992
>how is it the low-point?
>i admit all other points are higher
>>
File: 1452529665468.jpg (247 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
1452529665468.jpg
247 KB, 1224x1445
Except it wasn't accepted, which is why SS was way different from it. Hell, Sticker Star was originally going to be like TTYD, until Miyamoto told IS it was too similar.
>>
>>333172517

This

Only plebs hate SPM
>>
File: Sticker Star development.png (2 MB, 1498x3344) Image search: [Google]
Sticker Star development.png
2 MB, 1498x3344
>>333172616
It's Miyamoto's word, they're expected to listen to him when it comes to Mario games regardless of his role in the project.

Pic related is why Sticker Star was garbage.
>>
>>333173045
at the time of Stickerstar he was. Point?
>>
>>333172569
Mechanically it's a platformer, but it definitely falls into the RPG genre. RPG's are Role Playing Games. All rpg's being required to have turn-based menu combat is just a hold-over from when game systems weren't strong enough to do anything besides that in a story-heavy game. You can even see that change as turn-based isometric games like Final Fantasy tactics are also considered RPGs.

You can say that SPM doens't have traditional RPG combat, but it's definitely still an RPG.
>>
File: Mario RPGs.png (1 MB, 640x1604) Image search: [Google]
Mario RPGs.png
1 MB, 640x1604
>>333165372
>and the entire M&L series sucks too.

What's wrong with them? They're competently made and solid games.
>>
>>333162794

It was gonna happen soon or later with nintendo policy of catering to the widest audience and their prime target being kids (you can't deny this). For example, this one had a story in it, and some very fun things like that NEET lizard or side villain. But your average kid and your average Japanese player (yes I blame them, not the ones who play damanku, but the one who see nintendo games as a kids toy that should have difficulty and complexity not higher that a kirby game) didn't like that game even has a story or any somewhat complex plot, so for next game they removed it.

Nintendo is still handicapped by their image of kids company, and they will dumb shit down to cater to them, there is a reason why we will never ever see another earthbound.
>>
>>333173326
No he wasn't.
>>
File: 1459269447035.jpg (9 KB, 475x405) Image search: [Google]
1459269447035.jpg
9 KB, 475x405
>>333172992
>Not him but how? I admit all other points are higher
>>
>>333173387
Sticker Star had probably the least handholding of like...any Mario RPG. It's not like it was an easy game.
>>
List of shitposters to watch out for:
>SPM is better than TTYD
>Paper Mario 1 is better than TTYD
>M&L is better than TTYD
>SMRPG is better than TTYD
They will bitch about backtracking when the maximum you have to do it is 4 times in one level, which is a kickass level anyway. That's literally their only argument. Do not engage.
>>
>>333173315
>this entire image

It fucking hurts holy fuck

Miyamoto needs to die already

he killed 3D mario and he killed paper mario
>>
File: 1445112114887.png (653 KB, 680x686) Image search: [Google]
1445112114887.png
653 KB, 680x686
>>333173315
"Yes with regard to the story we did a survey in club nintendo and not even 1% said the story was interesting"

...You mean the survey NOBODY pays attention to and just clicks random bubbles to get over with?

Is this seriously what they based it on? Holy fuck.
>>
File: Shock.gif (428 KB, 748x550) Image search: [Google]
Shock.gif
428 KB, 748x550
>>333173650
>>SPM is better than TTYD
>>Paper Mario 1 is better than TTYD
>>M&L is better than TTYD
>>SMRPG is better than TTYD

Whoa whoa whoa. I loved TTYD over all those games, but someone's talking crap, if they prefer any of those Mario RPGs over TTYD? Are you for real?
>>
File: Terrified.jpg (29 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
Terrified.jpg
29 KB, 267x400
>>333173315
>aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project - "It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world"

>Miyamoto told him to make Bowser a silent antagonist

>They want Sticker Star to become the new standard for newer Paper Mario titles
>>
>>333173650

>Paper Mario 1 is better than TTYD
>M&L is better than TTYD
>SMRPG is better than TTYD

These are all true except the only M&L game (that I played) that I would put above TTYD is SSS. That said I think they are all still great games.
>>
>>333164352
and you didn't die, because why waste the time?
>>
File: bugs 2.jpg (50 KB, 500x552) Image search: [Google]
bugs 2.jpg
50 KB, 500x552
>>333173315
>>
>>333173326
That was Iwata, you idiot.

>>333173851
>...You mean the survey NOBODY pays attention to and just clicks random bubbles to get over with?

How was anyone supposed to know that?

>>333173315
>in addition to red, there are blue and green toads.
>picture completely ignores them

>>333173387
>there is a reason why we will never ever see another earthbound.

Other than it being a concluded series?

Am I the only one in this thread that isn't fucking retarded?
>>
>>333173315
Miyamoto needs to retire, he hasn't directly made a good game in over a decade and everything else he's been getting his hands on, he just bastardizes. He doesn't know what people want anymore.
>>
>>333174603
>he hasn't directly made a good game in over a decade

I hate his influence on Paper Mario, but Pikmin 3 was good.
>>
>>333174493
>That was iwata

Iwata is in charge of company finance sure, but Miyamoto's decisions still overwite his. what miyamoto says, goes.

Do you think Stan lee is president of Marvel too? He has the final say on what goes in his comic universe, whether or not hes retired
>>
>>333173650
>>Paper Mario 1 is better than TTYD
>>SMRPG is better than TTYD
These are both non-negotiably true from an objective game design perspective.
>>
>>333162794
>I can't stand the idea that other people like what a dislike

Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>333174994
>I can't stand the idea that other people dislike what a like

Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>333174493
It's concluded and Itoi is nearly 70 years old. He doesn't want to make videogames anymore.

Keep in mind Miyamoto and Iwata were the ones who even convinced him to finish Mother 3.
>>
>>333175104
>parroting

Well done.
>>
>>333171939
Cackletta's soul was pretty dull outside the gimmick of starting with 1hp.
>>
>>333175104
>I can't stand the idea of someone making a typo

Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>333175104
But nobody's telling you you can't dislike it.

OP's specifically saying if you like a thing he doesn't like, you're bad.
>>
>>333175104
>strawmanning

Grow the fuck up
>>
>>333175365
>defending strawman arguments while making new strawman arguments
>will leave some "witty" little reply instead of admitting he was wrong
>>
>>333172731
Did somebody say space techno?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCYLbzuv5bw
>>
>>333166137
This really. It's also why Color Splash isn't an RPG.
>>
Imagine getting paid to make this.
>>
File: 1442727125495.jpg (8 KB, 283x255) Image search: [Google]
1442727125495.jpg
8 KB, 283x255
>>333162794
>mfw TTYD purists have done nothing but whine since SPM and continue to get punished for it
>>
>>333176090
Imagine fucking that.
>>
>>333176090
The character designs and art style are at the very least interesting, but not really in the context of a mario setting

Plus, there's multiple parts to designing a character, even if they end up being completely made of simple geometric shapes.
>The overall form, does it stand out and demonstrate the characters role in the game?
>the fine details, what works and what doesn't
>the coloring is important as well, so it isn't bland OR hard on the eyes
>finally, the character needs to be made to work in the game engine, along with their animations
>>
File: image_31.jpg (108 KB, 582x475) Image search: [Google]
image_31.jpg
108 KB, 582x475
>>333163693
>"fun is a buzzword."
>>
File: e345346364570.png (72 KB, 500x262) Image search: [Google]
e345346364570.png
72 KB, 500x262
Would you a Mimi?
>>
>>333177140
for the love of all that is good in this world _NO
>>
File: mimi.gif (493 KB, 330x186) Image search: [Google]
mimi.gif
493 KB, 330x186
>>333177140
yes
>>
File: meme woman 2.png (76 KB, 669x867) Image search: [Google]
meme woman 2.png
76 KB, 669x867
>>333177140
Yes.
>>
>>333177032
I don't know, whenever I see character designs like this I can't help but think its a way for companies to keep the fans from making porn of the female charaters. You know, like trying to come up with ways and/or art styles to make them look impossable to fap to. Its not the first time I've heard of companies doing this either, not just video games.
>>
File: 1457578310810.jpg (25 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1457578310810.jpg
25 KB, 321x322
>>333178640
>>
>>333178640
It's uh, it's not working.
>>
>>333178640
>its a way for companies to keep the fans from making porn of the female charaters
Now, I'm not saying this for certain, but I personally think this is bullshit and you're looking too far into this.

I'm not doubting that its a thing that people do, however. someone on /v/ once got SUPER butthurt about one of my own character designs possibly being sexual
>>
>>333164287
No? Bowser was objectively the best character once you got the platform thingy.
>>
>mario games have always had a dull story but hats ok cause I mostly enjoy it for the platforming
>paper mario and mario and luigi happen
>interesting cast of characters and story without taking away the charm of mario and its setting
>bowser is no longer a generic villain and is more like a king dedede
>DT and sticker star happens
>bowser goes back to being a generic villain and the plot becomes nonexistant

I hate what they have done. BiS turned bowser into my favorite mario character.
>>
File: 1450051346178.png (16 KB, 225x222) Image search: [Google]
1450051346178.png
16 KB, 225x222
>>333173315

Sticker Star was a good game, it's even better than PM64 and TTYD in some regards.
>>
File: Ben_10_and_Gwen_009.png (361 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
Ben_10_and_Gwen_009.png
361 KB, 720x544
>>333179167
>It's uh, it's not working.
That's the beauty of it all, it never does. Which is why I think its just people who don't know about rule34. A good example is from the Ben 10 series. Girl in pic related got so much porn made that I think it was one of the creators or staff or whoever was complaining about it, probably from the loli artistes. So they ended up ageing and changer her.
>>
>>333180493
I wouldn't mind at all if you took a bottle of pills and swallowed them all at once.
>>
File: 1457239680924.png (230 KB, 809x827) Image search: [Google]
1457239680924.png
230 KB, 809x827
>>333176090
>>
>>333180493
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>333180976
>So hey ended up aging and changing her

That wasnt the reason at all. Alien force took place 3 years later, everyone aged up and they went for a more teen audience.

>Muh porn boogeyman
>>
>>333162794
Not really, it was more of an expansion on the Bowser platforming parts of TTYD.
Hell, Bowser plays the exact same way as he does in TTYD.
>>
>>333181892

I'm not saying it's a better game but it's better at

>Pacing: no long between chapters segments, the cutscenes are brief and don't mess up the flow of the game.
>Challenge: The bosses actually put up a fight for once, a playthrough I did where I didn't use any of the bosses weaknesses(except the Hook) was fund since it requires a good understanding of the game mechanics. In previous games 90% of the bosses were complete push overs. In TTYD it wasn't uncommon to have more HP between Mario and his Partner than the Boss had.
>Level Design: The levels actually require proper exploration and the puzzles altough not difficult are more challenging and require more thought. The previous games were a bit too "Simon Says" since every "puzzle" repeated alotand the same solution with the same kind of partner(pic related puzzles happen even towards the end of the game).
>Backtracking: By having a world map you can travel between areas really quickly and get from one side of the whole game to the other really quickly, backtracking was always a complaint in the old games because you had to go through so many screens.
>Gameplay: The non-linear design was pretty good and it felt was a good evolution of the adventure genre(e.g. Kings Quest). I also think the sticker based gameplay while flawed is a diamond in the rough, if refined right it could be better than PM64's and TTYDs.
>>
>>333174493

>>in addition to red, there are blue and green toads.
>>picture completely ignores them

Probably because they were still generic toads with no personality either way.

I mean, you don't see the picture listing generic toad green/blue/purple either.
>>
>>333178640
>>333176090
what absolute putrid dogshit.

>>333177032
I can't believe you think any of this applies to these things. In SPM it's all incredibly simple and poorly animated anyway. These are awful characters, and the coloring is paint.net gradient tier, if not mspaint.
>>
>>333162794
We never knew they'd stop making unique, original characters :(
>>
File: Paper.Mario.full.1277892.jpg (2 MB, 1948x1076) Image search: [Google]
Paper.Mario.full.1277892.jpg
2 MB, 1948x1076
best game
>>
>>333186171

The Mario series has unique and original characters. They coud make a Paper Mario game with the new NPCs and enemies sourced from Galaxy, 3D World and New Super Mario Bros.

Paper Mario 64 was almost all entirely existing Mario characters to begin with. SPM went overboard with OCs that aren't even remotely as good as the main series Mario stuff.
>>
SMP not being a turn-based RPG is what killed the entire fucking series from then on

And retards still bought it

Good or bad, it was NOT a Paper Mario game, and that is what made it shit by default.

And now look what happened. Look what you fucking people did. You bought the game, and they continued to make shit PM games.

FUCK you.
>>
>>333169463
I think I'd buy and play a new Paper Mario game if they had new and unique characters like 64/TTYD.

I mean even back in the 64 days the Toads had variety to them, and the enemies felt very Mario-esque despite plenty of them being new additions. SPM was definitely a step away because of the decreased roll of partners but at least it had this unique world and interesting characters. Sticker Star was just literally copy pasting old art assets of generic Mario villains. I mean yeah the gameplay sucked but I think what really killed it was that there's nothing new like you'd expect out of the first three (but mostly 2) games in the series.
>>
mimi > other pm characters
>>
File: 200px-DimentioPose.jpg (15 KB, 200x228) Image search: [Google]
200px-DimentioPose.jpg
15 KB, 200x228
>>333186682
Mimi a shit
Dimentio best
>>
File: Mimi.(Paper.Mario).full.1559367.jpg (137 KB, 600x693) Image search: [Google]
Mimi.(Paper.Mario).full.1559367.jpg
137 KB, 600x693
>>333187012
no
>>
>>333183861

>Pacing

Streamlining does not equate to quality, especially when it cuts out some of the more interesting parts of a game just to make it as flat (no pun intended) as possible in regards to story.

>Challenge

Every boss has two speeds, either they're obnoxiously hard or they go down like a sack of wet laundry. Good difficulty should be a gradual shift between easy and hard, not gears that depend on whether or not you have some arbitrary item that you could very well miss during your first playthrough.

>Level Design

Yeah, it's great having to comb over every inch of the goddamn level to find ONE sticker that you need to actually push the story forward.

I'd rather take puzzles that actually have me using my party member's abilities then play fucking pixel hunts every time I go through a new area.

>Backtracking

You can easily backtrack in earlier games by using pipes in the sewers of an area.

That and most of the areas that don't have any pipes connected to it were standalone areas that you can easily get to anyways, like the shy guy toy box and the glitz pit.

>Gameplay

You get no reward for combat, money is worthless since you can find everything you need in the field, bosses that will either ream your ass or die like bitches if you happen to have the right key item, generic toads, Kersti who will bitch you out and is more fucking annoying than Fi from skyward sword, and the fact that BASIC ATTACKS CONSUME RESOURCES!

I mean, it's bad enough that you're playing an RPG that punishes you for fighting enemies but now you gotta deal with managing resources just to pull off basic jump/hammer attacks?

I mean, if you're not given incentive to fight, there's no story, and there isn't even any fucking customization options to make builds with, then what's the point of its existence?

It's like having a platformer where you can't jump or a fighting game with no combos.
>>
>>333173567

The only reason why it was "hard" was because the game gave you practically no feedback or information on how to proceed through a given task.

It's like, if TTYD didn't give you hints on Hooktail's weakness to crickets or if you didn't get a clue that you could eavesdrop on birds or if you didn't get a clue as to finding the four seeds in PM64 then they would be "difficult" too.

However, withholding information is not the same as actual difficulty, which is why going through a level in, say, Dark Souls becomes easier once you're aware of all the various ways that the game will murder you with either ambushing enemies or traps that you'd have no way of knowing about the first time you set it off.
>>
>>333162794
I don't give a fuck if Super Paper Mario killed the Paper Mario series, just give me another Super Paper Mario developed and written by the same people.
>>
>>333173367
The only problem with this list is Super Mario RPG being so high up.
>>
>>333188268
Are you retarded?
>>
Super Paper Mario was shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 160x159) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 160x159
You guys are doing literally what metroid fan did to fusion,you considered It shit once you didn't get a good sequel.
>>
File: lucky-cat-sticker-star-1280x720.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lucky-cat-sticker-star-1280x720.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>>333187096
>fucking pixel hunts every time I go through a new area.

They're photorealistic objects in a cartoony paper world and most of them are in plain sight. You're a buffoon.
Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.