[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dark Souls the greatest game of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
Is Dark Souls the greatest game of all time?
>>
one of the greatest
>>
>>333159225
what's your top 3?
>>
Yes, now mods would you kindly close this thread. Kyhnksbie
>>
File: DSP plays demon's souls.png (173 KB, 319x327) Image search: [Google]
DSP plays demon's souls.png
173 KB, 319x327
>>333159193
No.
Just my favorite RPG since it combines things I like in a manner that other video games don't.
>>
>>333159193
Personally I liked Bloodborne more
>>
>>333159570
1.VtM:B
2. Half Life 2
3.Dark Souls

didn't give it much thought tho
>>
It's the worst Souls game
>>
Nope, not at all. It's one of the best ARPGs but that's not saying much because the genre's kinda shitty with some amazing exceptions like Gothic 2 and Ys.
>>
>>333159193
No. It's a good game, probably around an 8/10, putting it above most any other modern games, but it is not better than even its predecessor.
>>
its in my top 10.
>>
>>333159193
Not really, it was unfinished with an awful late game. A step up from demons in some respects and a step back in others. They were still learning.

Bloodborne is their magnum opus
>>
>>333160151
the problem with ARPG.genre is that they're not really RPG's anymore. they also age like milk. dark souls really can't age that bad. it was clunky and ugly to begin with but with solid gameplay.
>>
File: 1399617135634.jpg (594 KB, 1944x1944) Image search: [Google]
1399617135634.jpg
594 KB, 1944x1944
>>333159193
To say that dark souls is the best game of all time means you are comparing it to all other type of games. Which all have a different list of type of enjoyment they give you.

You can't compare Dark souls to a grand strategy game like Crusader Kings II. You can't compare it to fifa and grantourismo either.

It would be plain wrong to say it's the greatest game of all time. And I genuinely think that term has to die since it's impossible to fulfill.

Dark souls feels more like a new genre to me than actually part of the hack&slash action genre.

It's not an RPG. It's not a hack&slash. It's more like a classic platformer but instead of platforming you are using combat if you know what i mean.
>>
Not at all, but it would've been close if it was consistent in quality from beginning to end.
If you're one of the people who think the second half being subpar is just a meme, your standards are just really low.
>>
>>333160578

>an RPG is not an RPG

Wew lad
>>
I'll take "what only 7th gen babies would say" for 200
>>
I don't know how anyone can think that if they played the second half
>>
>>333159193
no
>>
>>333159193
Not even in my top10, but still not bad.
>>
>>333159193
No, I think people generally see it as a good modern game and due to the lack of good modern games it gets a bit over praised.
Great game though, about to load it up for a new play-though before dark souls 3.
>>
>>333159193
Its not even the best in its own series m80.
>>
for me it's brety gud, some of the best of last gen, but i see them Souls games as more of a survival thing and less RPG, they fell a lot like Resident evil 4
>>
>>333160578
I can enjoy a good simplistic, arcadey ARPG so I'm not bothered by the lack of proper RPG elements much. It's just that most ARPGs can't even deliver that and instead make games with awful real time combat systems with no depth or fun backed up by a half assed stat systems. At least Dark Souls felt like it was more cohesive.
>>
To me, it is. Haven't had as much fun before it
>>
>>333160729
Deus ex is trash
>>
>>333160182
DeS and DaS are very different. I prefer the type of game DaS became but still play through DeS whenever I borrow my gfs PS3. DaS has a world that trumps anything else in the series though. DeS did have great atmosphere though.
>>
Yes, I cant think of any games I like better (haven't played BB).
Souls games are the only modern games I can truly lose myself in, its like I'm a kid again when I play them, that's the highest praise I can give a game.
>>
>>333161526
yeah. I kinda meant that, for example witcher 3 has a good combat but RPG mechanics are just dull, they're just perks and upgrades with 0 depth.
>>
>>333160756
Stop.
Archives and crystal cave are good. Seth is great.
Catacombs is good.
Tomb of the giants is a good concept (having to use a lantern) but the giant skeletons ruin it.
Nito is cool.
New londo is great (the ghosts, draning the water and finding the dickwraiths, 4kings is simple but the abyss is really cool).
Assuming you haven't done sif, painted world or the DLC , ALL those things are awsome.
And the kiln and gwyn are a great end to the game.
The only thing that's bad , and to be fair it's fucking garbage, is Lost Izalith.
Stop with the second half meme.
>>
>>333161840
Agree, it's really just bed of chaos. I love demon ruins though.
>>
you can't even cancel your slow as shit attack animations
>>
>>333161840
>Archives and crystal cave are good. Seth is great.
No they aren't. The beginning of archives is alright if you ignore the god awful design decision to kill the player, but then once you exit the cell it's just a bunch of empty open rooms with sparse enemy placement and a single gimmick that is not used in any interesting ways after its introduction. Crystal Caves is just a god awful empty area anyone who values their time will run through while ignoring all the enemies.
>>
>>333159193
yes,

1. Dark Souls
2. Doom
3. Devil May Cry 3 SE
>>
>>333161840
>Archives and crystal cave are good. Seth is great.

archives is good but seath was pure garbage. I finished the fight in one minute without even taking any damage, I gotta admit, it was my second run but I didn't reach Seath on my first.
>Catacombs is good.
agree.
>Tomb of the giants is a good concept (having to use a lantern) but the giant skeletons ruin it.
agree 1000%
>Nito is cool.
agree.
>New londo is great (the ghosts, draning the water and finding the dickwraiths, 4kings is simple but the abyss is really cool).
and agree.

The problem with the second half in my opinion is that the game gives you too many directions, I loved the "almost" linear style at the first half until you kill Queelag. then it kinda crashes and starts getting more difficult for no reason. I would have enjoyed the static difficulty and not the current style like: crystal cave hidden path bullshit where you have to use your brain to figure shit out---->Seath boss with with zero challenge.
>>
>>333162253
Well yeah. That's a good thing considering that the entire game is built around that fact.
>>
>>333162470
No the biggest problem with the second half is that it completely abandons all of the things that made the first half cool and just gives you a bunch of mediocre, empty, linear areas which do not connect with each other and don't fit smoothly into the game's world and rely too much on gimmicks. Also the enemy encounters feel way too copypasted compared to the more unique and interesting combat scenarios of the first third.
>>
>>333161840
All of the lord soul bosses suck ass
Archives is annoying as fuck because of the infinite lock-on range channelers and archers
Crystal Caves is just wasted potential and its completely void of any meaningful loot.

Catacombs is way too easy to skip but otherwise its fine. Pinwheel is shit though.
TOTG is way too short and void of any meaningful loot, not to mention its almost encouraged to run past everything. Nito just spams his same AOE over and over without ever doing anything else.

New Londo is a boring parry fest with a dull color scheme. Level wise its alright

Entirety of Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith is downright shit.

Gwyn is disappointing as fuck, kiln is cool though.
>>
>>333162282
I like the stairs thing, getting imprisoned and having to escape, freeing logan, killing him when he turns hollow, the invisible bridges and destroying that thing to make seath vulnerable.It felt good to kill something that you couldn't even damage previously.
Fuck those clams though.

Also, demon souls also kills the player as a plot point, and it doesn't bother me. And I think you have to die in bloodborne too, but I only played it on a friends house so I don't know.
>>
>>333160530
bb is a masterpiece
>>
Why did the bosses in Dark Souls have so little health?
Last time I played the game I killed all the bosses in seconds because their health just isn't enough to last longer than that.
>>
>>333163016
>And I think you have to die in bloodborne too
You don't.
You can finish the whole game without visiting the Dream once actually, except the very end.
>>
>>333163248
cause breaking the game trough weapon upgrades is easy and fun.
>>
>>333163016
Demons Souls lets you skip the tutorial though, which is the only place where it downright instakills you.
>>
>>333160182
Demon's Souls is an unplayable mess. There's insane input lag and game breaking performance issues. It will never be considered a good game by future generations.
>>
>>333163016
The rotating stairs was a neat idea that could have given the level a lot of depth but it's used like what, once or twice? In a very simple way. The invisible bridges are also a very cheap gimmick that they didn't expand on. They seem to just be there to make running to Seath a bit inconvenient. Also the terrain is shitty, the game's physics just glitch out all the time if you go anywhere besides the intended path even when it looks like you can stand there just fine. Seath just sits there and does nothing for the most part. No idea how that's satisfying.
>>
>>333159193
up there
Arma 2
M&B Warband
Dark souls 2
Fallout 3
Dark souls
>>
>>333163440
....That doesnt answer my question.
You don't even need to "break" the game to quickly kill bosses. They just don't have much health at all. When fights last like 10 seconds or even less, its disappointing as hell.
>>
>>333159193
Bloodborne is better, and even that is not the best game of all time.
>>
>>333159193
>le roll around until i dont get hit in an edgey univerise

best game ever xD B-)
>>
File: 1388607314442.jpg (808 KB, 4502x5000) Image search: [Google]
1388607314442.jpg
808 KB, 4502x5000
>>333163627
>Fallout 3
>Dark Souls 2
>good
>>
>>333163560
>insane input lag and game breaking performance issues
What fucking shoebox did you play it with?
I played it a week ago 2 times through and had none of those issues.
>>
>bloodborne
>demon's souls
>dark souls

truth.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.