[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm using a 60hz monitor and my Portal 2 game runs at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault (4).jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (4).jpg
13 KB, 480x360
So I'm using a 60hz monitor and my Portal 2 game runs at a consistent 60 fps. I've been playing co-op with a friend lately, and when I use the "tab" key to view their screen, their gmae seems to be showing at a higher framerate. In fact, it always looks like this even when I watch videos at 60fps. It just looks smoother than my game. Now I realize that even "videos" WITHIN the game look smoother than my actual gameplay!

wtf is this happeing
>>
>>333137248
60fps video looks smoother than when you're actually playing a game for some reason
>>
>>333137332
That's so confusing. How does framerate work? Am I ever able to see the movement as smooth as I see on video? Does it look smoother when other people see me play behind me?
>>
>>333137485
dunno, sit far away from the screen or something. Switch it to 30fps and you'll see a world of difference, it will seem almost unplayable
>>
>>333137248
post your specs
>>
File: 34A6pG2.png (102 KB, 1389x675) Image search: [Google]
34A6pG2.png
102 KB, 1389x675
>>333137789
Oh, I totally know what it's like playing at 30fps. I switched to that about a year ago and couldn't stand even five minutes of it. It was so stuttery and painful.

>>333137794
dunno why it's needed but here you go

>inb4 lol amd
>>
>>333137485
It's probably something to do with the fact that you're controlling what's appearing on the screen. 60 fps will look choppier while you're playing it because your hands have a better idea of what it should look like. In contrast while watching your friend your brain is taking a more passive role. It's mainly just an artifact of your perception system.
>>
>>333138072
>>333138079
Just realized I'm not showing my video card either. It's NVidia GTX 660.
>>
I'd guess it's related to the jittery feeling of being directly involved in the input vs. just watching a video feed. There's also the factor of smaller screens appearing to be better-looking only because they aren't large enough for you to see flaws.

If we knew how exactly they do their screenshare thing we could talk about whether there's some sort of lag compensation as well.

My suggestion to you is to go see if you can find a 1080p vid of somebody playing the co-op and see if you can notice the same things happening when they use the screenshare thing. If you are noticing it, it's probably just the way things are set up and not some specific flaw with your game.
>>
>>333137248
Buy a 144hz monitor.60hz is the new 30.

fag
>>
>>333138314
Not even just with my game, either. For basically ANY game. I play TF2 on my same setup at 60fps and it still looks "less smooth" than a video. I play Dark Souls at its default state, then mod it to 60fps, and it's hard for me to tell a difference visually (granted I haven't played much of it on 30fps, but still).

Not just on PC, either. When I play console games on my 60hz TV, it doesn't look as different than a 30fps video. When I play games on handhelds like GBA or 3DS, it looks the same as a 30fps video, but when the video is 60, it looks smoother. There should be nothing changing if the screen is built INTO the console.

Maybe it's just me? Or maybe it is the feeling of being directly involved.
>>
File: raph.png (95 KB, 223x254) Image search: [Google]
raph.png
95 KB, 223x254
>>333138526
how about you scuk my balls
>>
>>333138526
What's the point of 144 when we can only see 60?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.