[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does NX really need to be more powerful than PS4?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 6
File: nintendo_nx.jpg (35 KB, 1424x800) Image search: [Google]
nintendo_nx.jpg
35 KB, 1424x800
I mean, if the argument is "X or Y 3rd party poorly coded games runs 2 frames better than its counter part" then yes.

but when it comes to exclusives, just being around PS4/XBONE power tier is all what nintedo would need. It will keep the console price around the competition, and when it comes to games, Nintendo is likely to put out something that runs better than whatever 3rd party could make, cause Nintendo are Wizard when it comes to codding and shit
>>
File: PatreonOpeningSoon.jpg (76 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
PatreonOpeningSoon.jpg
76 KB, 640x1136
>>333130505
No it doesn't matter how powerful either system is. This is the tech industry, so it's a race to who is more progressive, that's really all there is to getting 3rd party support.
>>
>>333130505
It doesn't matter because all the mainline Nintendo IPs are stagnant and everything worth a fuck is just gimped on the 3ds
>>
Yes it fucking would. PS4 is already aging. Fuck Nintendo the cheap fucks.
>>
For everything to go truly perfectly, Nintendo needs the NX to:

1. Suit their gimmick game needs.
2. While also being easy to program for by the parties.
3. While having a reasonable price, below $400.
4. While having graphic capabilities as high as the PS4 or the Xbox One.
5. And finally it needs to actually have a decent launch line up, instead of needing a year to two years to have actual games.

The price point is because, regardless of what some people may say, Nintendo consoles are normally seen as companion or toy consoles. A accessory to your main console, like a keychain for a cell phone.
>>
>>333132098

>5. And finally it needs to actually have a decent launch line up, instead of needing a year to two years to have actual games.
funny, non of the current 8th gen consoles has this.
>>
>>333131975
>PS4 is already aging
Stop feeding into the planned obsolescence. This is what Sony wants you to think.
>>
It needs good marketing and a reason to purchase it.

Good games aren't enough by themselves.

Most CoD fans don't give a shit about power.
>>
>>333132204
Unfortunately Nintendo doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from the general consumer market. They can't do what Sony did and just flood the market with remasters and then try and sell you an upgraded system three years later.

Nintendo needs a massive launch to generate an immediate install base that can't be ignored by third parties. They are going to have an uphill battle anyway because EA will just sandbag them again when Nintendo doesn't let them get a piece of the online.
>>
>>333132472
>Nintendo needs a massive launch
So unlike ANY Nintendo console ever?
>>
>>333132463
>Most CoD fans don't give a shit about power.
they dont, but as they dont know A from B, what media tells em might be better they will believe it

>>333132537
unlike any console EVER.

Nintendo DO have the working power if they could fix on only 1 console at the time (its hte publisher that publishes more games every year) but as long as the forces still split between HH and Console, might be hard..unless they push hard 2nd Party
>>
>>333132682
What Nintendo needs is good marketing.
>>
>>333132729
Wii want to play was god tier.

also drop the wii name, after wiiU and it became too toxic sadly
>>
>>333132098
>1. Suit their gimmick game needs.
>2. While also being easy to program for by the parties.
>3. While having a reasonable price, below $400.
>4. While having graphic capabilities as high as the PS4 or the Xbox One.
>5. And finally it needs to actually have a decent launch line up, instead of needing a year to two years to have actual games.

It could have all of these and it will still fail because of a lack off third party support. The fact of the matter is most third parties like EA don't want anything to do with nintendo because nintendo refuses to kiss thier ass and meet their demans while xbox and sony are bending over backwards for third party support.

NX will fail because of hubris and business relations reasons, not because of anything related to the hardware or lineup. Hell the ps4 line up was shit, and mostly still is.

Nintendo is just out of touch with the rest of the gaming world and it shows.
>>
>>333132973
Self-respect is not hubris
>>
>>333130505
>just being around PS4/XBONE power tier is all what nintedo would need
Mid gen, when PS4.5 and XBO1.5 will be released in the same date window.

NX always will be the worst choice.
>>
>>333132973
>Nintendo is just out of touch with the rest of the gaming world and it shows.
given the current state of the Gaming world, this is kinda of a compliment.

but yeah, if Nintendo cant get CoD, nad the rest of the yearly shit that are the heavy hitter, NX wont fly, it wont bomb (if Fucking wiiU made money, they can make money out of anything) but it wont get em to what they aim
>>
>>333132472
>They can't do what Sony did and just flood the market with remasters
Every Mario/Zelda game, shit OoT and many old games got straight ported.

>then try and sell you an upgraded system three years later.
3ds

Isn't that exactly what they do?
>>
>>333133118
>when PS4.5 and XBO1.5 will be released in the same date window.
I want this to happen just to see people bitch, userbase split, and games be ever poorly coded cause now they have to try to adjust for the power change but 3rd party are lazy fucks so they will likely just copy paste the code
>>
>>333133198
>Every Mario/Zelda game, shit OoT and many old games got straight ported.
3DS did what? 3 games from N64 era.
meanwhile PS4 has like 20-30 remaster of PS3 games
>>
>>333133198
That's basically making my point for me, whether you realize it or not [you don't, because you're a low-IQ non-White]. Nintendo hasn't been succeeding with that strategy. They've been treading water at best.
>>
>>333133198
>>then try and sell you an upgraded system three years later.
>3ds
>Isn't that exactly what they do?
1 actually have several upgrades, hardware wise (stable 3D, screen, "2nd analog"). after the HH already have a really good line up and only like 1 or 2 games are "exclusive" so the userbase dont feel betrayed
>>
>>333130505

What the NX needs is better third party support and in order to secure that they need to talk with the big engine developers.

If some of them tell them that the PS4 restricts some of their plans for the future, then they need to ensure the NX is strong enough so they don't get boxed out in a year or two.

If PS4 grade hardware is enough to garner support for another five years, then they have no real need to be stronger.

That being said, they could easily cut out some of the stupid design choices in the PS4 and have better hardware with little added financial burden.
>>
>>333133035
It's not about self-respect, it's about survival. Chad isn't buying the NX if it does not have CoD, Fifa, Madden. And if you think the NX will do any better than the Wiiu without Chad you are retarded.

>>333133195
>given the current state of the Gaming world, this is kinda of a compliment.

Again, you can have the moral ground, you can have all the right philosophies, you can do everything right, Hell you can have all the best exclusives and still fail because you forgot that at the end of the day you need to sell a product. THAT is why sony is winning, they throw out all self respect and kiss major third party ass, kiss chads ass, and outsell everyone. HOW THE HELL did sony steal COD from xbox? Why does MLG now have ps4s instead of xbones? Business relations. Something Nintendo does not have and thinks it does not need because it's biggest competitors are hasbro and cellphones according to them.

The NX is going to do everything right, it's going to fix EVERYTHING. And it's still going to fail. People will remember it as the what could have been console. Literally the dreamcast 2.
>>
File: Engine.png (57 KB, 1036x576) Image search: [Google]
Engine.png
57 KB, 1036x576
>>333133629
>they need to talk with the big engine developers.
>>
>>333133761
The Wii U had CoD, FIFA, Madden etc.

Marketing is clearly more important.
>>
>>333132098
>While also being easy to program for by the parties.
People overstate this too much. None of the platforms on the market are "hard" to program for or port to. Devs just don't want to put up any kind of effort. That's why you get shit like Arkham Knight despite boasting how easy it is to between the PC and x86 consoles.
>>
>>333133873
>Marketing is clearly more important.
More than that, it's a problem of image. Wii/3ds marketing pushed "the console for your kids" soo hard that chad isn't going to buy it without some major re-branding.
>>
>>333133761
>THAT is why sony is winning, they throw out all self respect and kiss major third party ass, kiss chads ass, and outsell everyone.
All Sony did was win a bunch of bidding wars. There's no self respect involved there.

>>333133873

The Wii U had half assed versions that lacked content. Not to mention it took like half a year for CoD to get basic bug fixes.
>>
>>333134019
>Wii/3ds marketing pushed "the console for your kids"
No, the Wii and DS marketing push that the console was for EVERYONE. They had all types of people in their ad campaigns including chads.
>>
As long as the NX does not force devs to used so shitty gimmick like the tablet third party might be ok for the first year or so. Then it's going to drop like a rock because no one buys nintendo consoles for the latest NBA2k.
>>
>>333134019
>it's a problem of image
Which comes down to Marketing.

>>333134057
>The Wii U had half assed versions that lacked content
Which CoDKids don't care about.
>>
Itt: console peasants
>>
>>333134243
>>The Wii U had half assed versions that lacked content
>Which CoDKids don't care about.

Which is why they all bought it? I don't get your post. Of course people care, CoD fans are not all 6-12 year olds believe it or not, just like 3ds owners are not all 6-12 years old. People care about cut content and higher price points.
>>
>>333133792

I don't get what you're trying to say. Half of those engines in the in department don't have native Wii U support. They CAN run on the Wii U but the devs have to either do the hard work themselves or beg Nintendo to help them. That's why all the Unreal 4 kickstarter games have a third party making the Wii U version.
>>
>>333134339
I own a PS4 and a PC, I want to see the NX do well, I want a reason to buy another console. I want competition for Sony. When companies compete we all win. Look at how shitty ps+ has been because of the lack of competition.
>>
>>333134437
>SNES dominated
Underaged nintedo kid detected.
>>
>>333134243
>Which CoDKids don't care about.
Wii U's FIFA lacked two of the most popular game modes including Ultimate Team which is popular in every sports game its in.

It was a big fucking deal.
>>
>>333134437
Sony does a good job at making hardware and staying ahead of the game. DVD players and Bluray players matter. I will be the first to say that all of sony's first party games are shit, but they make decent hardware.
>>
>>333130505
Reminder that Nintendo looks on all non-Japanese customers with disdain.

They hate what you like, they hate your opinions, they hate that you are the ones that kept them afloat in their good years. You are only money faucets to them. Just look at what they think of Metroid: that's what they think of you.
>>
>>333134231
I don't think third parties care about utilizing the tablet. They can just put menus and maps in there and for the most part probably think it's a gimmick with decent utility.

EA bailed and launched a smear campaign against Nintendo's hardware when Nintendo wouldn't let EA set Origin up as the Wii U's digital storefront. Then every other third party backed away.
>>
>>333134539
FIFA fans have been buying the same exact game every year for ages.

Their standards aren't that high.
>>
I will buy a NX if it's not region locked. That simple.
>>
>>333134597
Didn't nintendo also lie and about the WiiU's specs? Apparently the cores on the devkit where clocked higher than the WiiU causing performance issues. It was never confirmed but that rumour stayed alive for a while.
>>
D
>>
>>333134623

And their exact same games have had that feature for seven years now. Almost a decade.
>>
>>333134748
>Apparently the cores on the devkit where clocked higher than the WiiU causing performance issues.
Most devkits are like this. Sony and Microsoft did the same thing with the PS4 and Xbox One.
>>
>>333130505

no but it needs to be cheap. If it can't compete on graphics or games it has to compete on price. A $100 console that plays mario and zelda is good enough for most people.

>>333130973

go back to /pol/ I don't want to start a thing here but let's keep this thread focused on nintendo and not SJWs
>>
>>333134806
People don't understand that, I play NBA2k and I would never play it without a season mode.
>>
My understanding of it was the confusion was about the Wii U's GPGPU that burrows power from the GPU to give to the CPU.
>>
>>333134748
Well Crytek came out and said they had Crysis 3 up and running on the Wii U, but it was shelved because of problems between EA and Nintendo.
>>
>>333134962
Crysis 3 was 360/ps3 title, nothing surprising here m8.
>>
>>333133897
>it's not hard, it just requires a lot of effort
semantics my friend. irrelevant to the discussion
>>
>>333134923
Yea, it was some sort of technical mix up. That caused those first few third party games to run like complete ass when the WiiU was more powerful than the ps3. Not just lazy ports from developers like people claim.

>>333134962
The WiiU was more powerful than the ps3 of course they could get it to run, specs are not why the WiiU failed.

Business relations is why the WiiU failed, it's also why the NX will fail.
>>
Nintendo's #1 problem is that it's core base of children have moved onto phones. They're cheaper and have a staggeringly massive supply of games (even if they're all shit they're good enough for most people).

It didn't kill the 3DS, but I'm very doubtful Nintendo will be able to fight it long term. There's not really any way for the NX to sell well especially if the next mainline Zelda isn't an NX exclusive.
>>
Yes.

I support Nintendo, but fucking holy hell, if the next console isn't at least more powerful than the PS4, there will be riots. That is not acceptable.
>>
>>333135027
No, I know. I'm just using that anecdote to further the point of EA sandbagging their support of the platform over Origin, not for the performance of the machine.

With regards to the machine Nintendo put out, I think they could have and should have done better for $350. That or released the system a year or two earlier.
>>
>>333135163
>Nintendo's #1 problem is that it's core base of children have moved onto phones.

This, we grew up but nintendo never realized. Metroid could have been the gritty game for the older nintendo fan and they just fucked us.
>>
>>333135071
>irrelevant to the discussion
It's not. Go back and read what all those articles say. They all basically say that their engines can POSSIBLY run on the Wii U but it wont be naturally supported.

There was even a whole big thing about how Epic basically saying people should just use UE3 for the Wii U because they would have an easier time getting it to work on there
>>
>>333135207
The next console could be as good as the ps4k and it wont matter if third party like EA refuse to do business with them.
>>
>The NX will be super underpowered hardware
>Again
Fuck, I can't wait, it'll be so sweet. I'm rubbing my nipples in anticipation of all the bitching
>>
File: 256753858.jpg (44 KB, 568x460) Image search: [Google]
256753858.jpg
44 KB, 568x460
Rip Nintendo. You were my childhood, Pokemon Blue is the first game I've ever played, but as I grew older you became shitty and unrecognizable. Soon, Sony will finish what it started with Sega, and put you out of your misery. Jesus Christ, I can't believe you cheap fucks didn't include a gyro in the original wiimote. What an absolute scam.
>>
>>333135303
>There was even a whole big thing about how Epic basically saying people should just use UE3 for the Wii U because they would have an easier time getting it to work on there

It's kinda unreasonable to ask developers to start using a new engine for a console that is not even out yet, and and they will have no idea if it will even sell well. The gaming world will never revove around nintendo ever again. The kings are no longer the console makers but the devs, the devs don't bend over for the console. The console needs to bend over for the devs. Nintendo still hasn't caught on because during the SNES/N64 era having hardware that was difficult to program for was a kind of noob filter for devs. But now devs don't want to jump around hoops to put a few objects on the screen.

Also not all engines are made equal.
>>
>>333135291

I'm not even talking about wanting "mature games for mature gamers like myself etc" but the point is that Nintendo's core group, children, are no longer interested in their products. Meanwhile people who stuck with Nintendo don't have many reasons to continue buying their consoles.

It's sad really because under a 90s era paradigm Nintendo is doing everything right. But the world has changed.
>>
>>333135560
U play mitomo yet? Best game since galaxy series. over 9000 friends
>>
>>333134570
There's a lot of truth to this post. Nintendo actually restricted the amount of autonomy that NoA had after the N64 [which performed almost as well as SNES in the US market]. Guys like Ken Lobb basically left because they weren't really enjoying the stuff Nintendo was putting out anymore and their input wasn't valued. Howard Lincoln and Minoru Arakawa retired.

Everyone who is left at NoA are people who are very comfortable just being highly compensated yes-men content to manage margins instead of lead the industry. Anyone with real talent is often an outside contractor brought in for specific technical work.
>>
>>333135807
>It's sad really because under a 90s era paradigm Nintendo is doing everything right. But the world has changed.

I agree 100%, i just want to make nintendo great again. Nintendo consoles have been getting more exclusives than ever, but also getting less games over all than ever. I only have 4 games for my 3ds that I really play.
>>
>>333135828
Sure, Miimoto was unique but it wasn't great as the older ones. This also applies to newer Nintendo titles.
>>
>>333135961
Everyone knows NoA is massive pile of steaming dogshit now. My question is why did no one see it sooner? People idolized Reggie for a while.
>>
>>333135961
This. They treat their western branch like absolute shit even though they get most cash from the NA market. Most employees like Reggie Memes-Aime and Bullet Bill Trinen.
>>
>>333136235
Are just a bunch of idiots who bow down to their jap masters
>>
>>333136102
You're confusing fanboys with normal people.
>>
>>333134231
>As long as the NX does not force devs to used so shitty gimmick
wiiU gamepad use was not mandatory mate. on the other hand ALL PS4 games must have that stream thing to VITA
>>
>>333134382
only UE4, other engines have been proved they just run
>>
>>333130505
PS4 and Xbone are already underpowered by modern standards. A several years outdated PC video card can run circles around them. If Nintendo doesn't make the NX more powerful than the current consoles then the NX will be their last console.
>>
>>333137279
is not a reason of can or cant, is why should they??

hell historically the most powerful console has not been the best consoles
>>
>>333135690

Unreal Engine is still one of the biggest names in the game. If you're going to listen to anyone, it has to be Epic.
>>
If the NX is launching in 2016, what are some realistic options for hardware for Nintendo? I don't think its even been confirmed they are actually working with AMD.
>>
>>333137529
>Unreal Engine is still one of the biggest names in the game
how this is true still baffles me.
>>
>>333135690
>, the devs don't bend over for the console. The console needs to bend over for the devs
and we can thank S and M for destroying the status Quo. and making devs lazier
>>
Reggie called and said you guys should stop being entitled. Just buy their $400 overclocked gamecube and $400 "new" Wii U 2. Don't like NoA translations either? Well just import and buy their systems AGAIN! Dont forget to buy their stuper duper virtual roms a FOURTH time when the "new" Wii U 2 is released. And remember to stop whining and acting entitled.
>>
File: samus murrica.jpg (175 KB, 537x403) Image search: [Google]
samus murrica.jpg
175 KB, 537x403
>>333134570
>>333135961
Nintendo holds a lot of franchises that are dear to the Gen X / Gen Y market so it's easy for is to forget that there's a whole aspect of the company that never gets publicized, which is their shitty corporate culture. We find out about that kind of culture when a big company like Capcom, Konami or Sega is failing because they go under the microscope of the media, but in some ways that same culture is part of Nintendo. They don't have a lot of people with no interest in gaming controlling them, but they still are a very traditional Japanese business and in the 21st century that model is becoming less and less viable in the global market.

The thing that keeps video game companies going is for experienced developers to either keep moving up the leadership and bring in young, fresh minded talent to replace them on the ground floor and grow the company. That's how you ensure that your company stays in touch with the market. Nintendo's problem is that they've become stagnant, and the people in charge have all been running things for 20-30 years, and they aren't bringing in much new development talent.

The people who comprise Nintendo as a company are getting old. They don't communicate well with people who are 30 years old and under, and they don't communicate at all with people who are from outside of Japan. Iwata couldn't even speak English-- he was able to read English phonetically from a teleprompter, but he couldn't hold a conversation in English. Nintendo does not groom people from their non-Japanese branches for leadership roles, which is why they made a PR guy (Reggie) the "president" of the US branch. He's there to say nice things about the company while Japan runs everything, and that's probably one of the biggest problems with Nintendo. Japan always comes first and they don't really give a damn if anyone outside of Japan has an opinion about anything.
>>
If NX isn't twice as powerful as PS4.5, Nintendo is FINISHED!
>>
>>333138054
>they go under the microscope of the media
are you by any chance implying Media dont have a hate boner on Nintendo?
>>
>>333130505
NX don't need to be more powerful than PS4, they just need to sell more than 40 million units in a year to catch up, that's all.
>>
>>333138054
>The thing that keeps video game companies going is for experienced developers to either keep moving up the leadership and bring in young, fresh minded talent to replace them on the ground floor and grow the company. That's how you ensure that your company stays in touch with the market. Nintendo's problem is that they've become stagnant, and the people in charge have all been running things for 20-30 years, and they aren't bringing in much new development talent.
how much truth does this hold when what has kept hte industry alive for hte past 10+ years are the same games every year (yearly shooter, sports/ cars/ etc) ?? and the most expected games are sequels (Final Fuck 15,
>>
File: wii music.gif (3 MB, 280x191) Image search: [Google]
wii music.gif
3 MB, 280x191
>>333137353
History goes out the window when you are in Nintendo's position. They have to save their place in the console market, and this late in the game that means they have to release something that will be an intermediate between the current and next generations. They can't design it around competing with next gen systems that won't be out for years, but they have to make it powerful enough that people will notice that the games look and play better on it.

Also, currently the PS4 is the platform that is winning and it's the most powerful console, even if that's not saying much. If Nintendo can't outclass the market leader in terms of performance then they will have a hard time impressing customers. You can't release a console years after the PS4 has been out and not have at least somewhat better specs. They have a chance to look at everything devs have to complain about with the PS4 and do better, but if they instead say "it will be between the Wii U and the PS4 for power" then they may as well not even bother with a new console, because no-one is going to buy it.

Nintendo is in crisis management mode right now. The NX isn't going to be made to win the console war-- it will be about saving Nintendo's place in the console market. In an ideal situation Nintendo wouldn't even be making the NX, but unfortunately they completely blew it with the Wii U and now they have to secure the future of Nintendo consoles by making something that will restore their reputation, even if it means it means selling the console at a loss and focusing on horsepower rather than novelties. They need to make a system that at the very least gets them taken seriously again rather than being the butt of everyone's jokes.
>>
>>333138175
Nintendo is under the media's microscope but they aren't firing people left and right or closing studios, so it's harder to make a story about them. There's really not much left to report until E3, because we all know that this is the Wii U's last year and that a new console is coming for Christmas.
>>
It's been said several times, but it doesn't matter what they make. Marketing, Marketing, oh and Marketing.
>>
The NX will have a great launch. I cant wait to rebuy all my virtual roms a FOURTH time because Nintendo clearly understands i dont give a shit about proper account systems.
>>
>>333138373
It's easy to say that, but honestly I see certain gameplay mechanics that pop up in these yearly shooters [CoD specifically] that would have been right at home in a big budget Metroid [whether they stick with FPS Metroid or not]. Nintendo is really stagnating in the actual gameplay department.
>>
>>333138704
It is almost entirely likely a handheld replacement and Nintendo is going to bitch and moan that people made too big a deal and it isn't meant to compete with PS4 when the specs are announced.
>>
>>333138704
All in all your main point that this next system must sell gangbusters for them or it's over, is pretty evident. Nintendo also plans on selling games over $60 as a standard in North America as well going by the MyNintendo gold coin rewards.
>>
>>333139429
Seriously I don't understand how they get away with this. Nintendo's online retail infrastructure is still a huge mess. Maybe this time they'll finally have an internal hard drive, or at least a SATA slot so users can add one.
>>
>>333139489

Except no one wants a pure shooter Metroid. People want an Adventure Metroid.
>>
The Wii with all it's success made Iwata rest on his laurels, and the cancer likely made him lazy when it came time to approve a successor, and then NCL blackballed NOA from being able to scrutinize how the next console should be marketed or developed.

Disastrous.
>>
>>333139819
>All in all your main point that this next system must sell gangbusters for them or it's over, is pretty evident.

I don't think it has to sell gangbusters but it has to sell better than the Wii U or Gamecube. The reason I say it doensn't have to sell gangbusters is because I think it's going to have a realtively short, or "average" lifespan, of 4-5 years since it's a stopgap between the Wii U and the 9th generation. I think it's going to be there to transition Nintendo back into the mainstream console market after the fuckups of the Wii's last years and the Wii U, but I think Nintendo's expectations will be different for it.

We may never see a system as successful as the original Wii again, because it was basically a fluke. We will hopefully, though, see Nintendo brought back into competition with Sony and Microsoft. They're never going to catch up with the PS4 and Xbox One's libraries or sales this generation with an intergen system, but they can rebuild their brand, and if they manage to win back enough customers it sets the stage for their next system a few years down the road to be a true contender for the crown.
>>
>>333139952
That's not what I said. I said certain gameplay mechanics. It's not about whether you like the rigid mission/checkpoint set up of the game or the shooting. I'm talking about stuff like Advanced Warfare with the boost jumping, speed burst, etc. It's better implemented and more polished than anything Nintendo's put out in years.
>>
>>333136102

Because the Wii was so massively, wildly popular for a short while. Imagine if the Wii wasn't picked up by normies, we would have had this conversation five years ago.
>>
>>333133198
>Isn't that exactly what they do?
I don't think they've ever relaunched a console. Ironically, it would probably have saved the WiiU if they released a cheaper model without the game pad
>>
>>333139952
I want an adventure Metroid like the Prime games, but with conventional shooter controls. If they can work a good multiplayer game into it then I'd be cool with it, but it needs to be a good adventure game first.

Prime 2's multiplayer was an interesting experiment, but my friends didn't like it because the controls were weird and we all had online shooters we were playing on other platforms anyway, so it quickly died. I think we actually played Star Fox Assault's MP a lot more than Prime 2's because it was a lot more fun and the controls lent themselves better to multiplayer.
>>
>>333138054

The real problem is that videogames in Japan is going totally mobile. Look at how far Konami has fallen.
>>
>>333140360
>Ironically, it would probably have saved the WiiU if they released a cheaper model without the game pad
A lot of people were saying this 3 years ago when it became clear Nintendo had a problem with the system. They should have separated the system from the gamepad, sold the gamepad separately and made all games pro-pad compatible. They missed the window of opportunity for that about 2 years ago, though. If they had done it in time for Christmas 2014 then they could have saved the system, but they decided to stay the course and they were not rewarded for it.
>>
>>333140241
>I'm talking about stuff like Advanced Warfare with the boost jumping, speed burst
If you want all of that they would be better off staying third person or maybe even hybrid like the Elder Scrolls.

>It's better implemented and more polished than anything Nintendo's put out in years.
You can't really say that when Nintendo doesn't really do shooters. They have Splatoon and that's it.
>>
It needs to be stronger than the PS4K and the new Xboner.
>>
>>333130505
Basically it needs to be significantly more powerful and easier to develop for. If nintendo can't pull third parties from hardware they're already comfortable on they're done.
>>
>>333140454
Yeah, and this also ties into the problem of the "Japan first" attitude a lot of Japanese companies have. Japan is not a reflection of the global market, and if you focus on making Japan happy then you are going to lose the rest of the world. I don't even know what mobile games are popular in Japan-- all I know is that I like games for PC and consoles. Action games, adventure games, fighting games, RPGs and sims are genres that I like, and they're genres that Japan generally does well. Non-japanese devs also do these genres well, and as they retreat towards mobile they lose more and more of their non-Japanese customers to other companies. And that's not even digging into FPS, which are wildly popular but Japan has absolutely no appetite for them.
>>
>>333140203

The problem is that the console business itself is basically dying. The W10 integration and PS4.5 stuff is being done to basically turn consoles into living room PCs. As has been Sony's plans since the PS1.

How can Nintendo slot into this? We're entering an era where people expect their console to have all the amenities of their desktop (non-game app support, steam/ios/googleplay sized stores, USB support) and all the things their cable box has (netflix, movies, TV shows, sports etc). Most people are doubtful Microsoft, one of the most valuable companies in the world, can continue to compete here. Sony is only able to pull stunts because of their larger media conglomerate.

Meanwhile Google, Apple, Amazon, Valve etc are all sitting on the sidelines trying to figure out how to break in. Say what you will about them, but they're at least experimenting.

I just don't see a place for Nintendo here except making cheap "TV Games" style boxes.
>>
>>333140761
>Basically it needs to be significantly more powerful and easier to develop for.
It can't be either of those things for different reasons.

And third parties don't want to be "pulled" from anything. They just want to be accommodated.
>>
>>333140620
Yeah, I'm fine with them doing Metroid as a third person. It's not really about shooters. I was simply pointing out specific gameplay elements in the "yearly shooters" that were derided by the other poster [I don't know if that was you], that do things well and are very nicely executed.
>>
>>333140887
>I just don't see a place for Nintendo here except making cheap "TV Games" style boxes.

It's unfortunate but eventually I think there's going to come a point where Nintendo doesn't fill a niche anymore outside of software. For all I know we've already reached that point, and the NX is the dying breath of Nintendo's hardware department.

There might simply not be room anymore for a third console, and now we've got all these other "also rans" entering the market like Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and even Steam Machines who all think they can get their customers to move to the living room. The very nature of the household TV is rapidly changing, and consoles are either going to be the central hub from which all our entertainment is accessed, or they're going to be replaced by cheaper, less powerful hubs that do not make a priority out of gaming.
>>
>>333140887
>>333141604
lol
>>
>>333141690

the only reason nintendo is around is because of the software they make
>>
>>333141604

Actually there's more reasons for consoles to become less of a hub than ever before. Smart TVs can do anything a console can do other than play non-mobile games and they are only getting cheaper.

So really, stick with what you're good at and make some fucking games.
>>
>>333132098
>below 400$

The NX should be $200 at the maximum. No one buys Nintendo consoles for anything other than exclusives.
>>
>>333142650

You aren't getting shit for 200 or less.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.