[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 26
File: Tree.png (943 KB, 933x514) Image search: [Google]
Tree.png
943 KB, 933x514
What the fuck went wrong?
>>
Microtransactions :^)
>>
>>333121748
really?
how bad are they?
was actually looking forward to this game
>>
>>333121634
Pay $60 to enjoy the working server otherwise drown in lag and brs :^)
>>
File: 1406684867651.gif (1 MB, 224x178) Image search: [Google]
1406684867651.gif
1 MB, 224x178
>attempted to download
>reviews were about how grindy game is
>not a lot else bout it
>"i'll give it a shot anywa-"
>paid access
>>
>>333121748
People can't read. And or buyers remorse.
>>
COMMANDER WE HAVE A PROBLEM
>>
>>333121634
nostalfag forgot that RO has problem of grinding and botting, they suprised its same shit but somehow they manage to think RO is better.

its not
>>
>>333121634
Can't trade items unless you pay monthly fee
>>
File: 1361408299723.gif (2 MB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1361408299723.gif
2 MB, 270x270
>>333121634
>"abbreviated as TOS thereafter"
>Only used once more in the description

What the fuck, "Tree of Savoir" uses less letters. No way would I play something this retarded.
>>
Are the servers working yet? Wondering if I should drop 10
>>
>>333122639
They probably got an intern to type that shit up. It's not even spaced properly ffs.
>>
>>333122378
this is probably the worst offender, considering this is a fucking MMO.
just make the game completely P2P at that point, what's even the point of the F2P model?
people wouldn't have been as mad then (well, save for the other issues).
>>
>>333122378
What if you're the sort of person who only plays MMOs solo?
>>
>>333121748
More like macro transactions
>>
>>333121634

>tfw got burnt out on the cbt alone

So did my other friends. Grinding was not fun at all. Dont know if they buffed priest or not but honestly fuck this game. Cant ride on good music alone if the only way to kill shit is hold down left click.
>>
>>333121634
Cash shop that makes BDO looks honest and fair.
Claiming to be a 'spiritual sequel' to a sandbox game when it's an uninspired themepark
Heavily appealing to nostalgia and emotion to lure in old fans of RO
>>
>>333121634
>everyone claims microtransactions are killing the game
>they aren't
>no one is pointing out that boredom will kill the game
Seriously, just dump a fuck ton of minigames into everything to give me more involved play than this bland shit.
>>
>>333124773
Both will kill the game.

RO was grindy as fuck, but ToS adds EVEN MORE grind.
>>
>>333124849
Good thing I didn't spend money on it.
>>
>>333124849
RO had WoE
does this one have anything like it?
>>
> tfw enjoying myself

I can guess i'll reach a point where i'm sick of it. But something keeps me going.
>>
RO was shit but at least we have nostalgia glasses. Gonna try it for a while but I can't manage FFXIV grind, so I guess I'm gonna burn out in 2 weeks max.
>>
Bad:
Boring/repetitive sidequests,
lackluster story
gaining levels takes way too long
no interesting events.
hardly any customization
Laggy servers
Poor optimization

Good:
Class system

That's literally it. Everything else is shit, and even then, having such a diverse class system doesn't mean anything if it takes fucking forever to get there unless you party with BRs.
>>
What is the current cap and "endgame" in this game? Is it just the journey?
>>
>>333125459
The suffering of knowing you don't even get the first class you like until level 280 something.
>>
>To make a guild you have to be a Templar
>You have to give up an entire valuable Circle that's shared by Dragoon
>You have to be in the swordsman branch.
There's cute ideas like Squire repairing and maintain stuff and God Carver's sculptures to add aoe buffs and then there's retarded ideas like this.
>>
>>333125878
It's fucking bullshit. The game isn't entertaining enough to get to that point either so the whole thing is invalid. It's just extra padding albeit done poorly. I really wanted to like this game but I'm sitting at level 30 and I've done the same 'kill these monsters' mission that I hate so much with MMOs, and unless there are raids or dungeons I don't see me liking this or having it be worth it in the end.
>>
played for a few days when it was open

absolutely awful game, but shit ton of retard mmo faggots love it.
>>
>>333125373

Lmao if you can't handle the grind on ff14 then you might as well suck the business end of a gun if you think you can handle grinding on ANY game. Holy shit seriously. Going from babby's first mmo to some Korean grind shit. I'm just going to assume you're young and have never played an actual MMO in your life. Fucking god thanks for the laugh sport.
>>
>>333126397
Not him, but I don't mind grinding as long the game is actually fun and feels like there's some reward in the end and it's engaging enough to make me want to do it, but in this case, it's not and it's a fucking snoozefest. I say this as someone who spends 5+ hours grinding in JRPGs purely for powerleveling purposes.
>>
>>333126063
When I played during the closed beta that level 30 monestary was literally the peak of gameplay. Big rooms full of monsters, people wanted help with bosses, people were excited about killing the world boss, everyone wanted to form a party to do quests or grind the big rooms and the enemies had great drops.
After that I didn't play with anyone except to help one guy beat that shitty poison worm. And it really sucks because even as early as level 80 boss monsters have too much HP for a lot of characters to really kill on their own. Luckily they're all 100% retarded and lose aggro if you run to the other side of their arena so you can get back all your SP. I got as far as 120 just to find out that things weren't getting any better at the next rank and decided to give up.
>>
>(TREE OF) SAVIOR OF MMORPG, GUYS!
I fucking told you it sucked.
>but muh class variety
That's all it has going for it. The combat is shit, and everything else is shit.
>>
We all told you the game was shit in iCBT and that the core gameplay and design decisions were fucked

you should have listened
>>
>>333126698
i gave up around lvl 35

>just stacking hundreds of levels onto the game
>repetitive grind

The game has no fucking point except to grind in. It's not even interesting or fun in the least. It will have the typical mmo addict no life for the first few months then be completely dead.
>>
File: 1459399142788.jpg (279 KB, 473x600) Image search: [Google]
1459399142788.jpg
279 KB, 473x600
>>333125878
This, and if you're going for an early main like Wugushi or Elementalist you're going to feel even more bored because you won't feel like you're progressing for shit.
>>
>>333127212
Not as bad as picking up a new circle on the way and then wondering if you made the right choice. Want to go back? Fuck you, reroll. Same for stats because for some god forsaken reason they refuse to give those out with skill resets.
>>
did anyone honestly think it was a good game after icbt?

Did someone out there play it the entire thing and think they had fun because of skinner box mechanics?
>>
>>333127486
That's what all MMOs are.
>>
File: 1453843537564.gif (98 KB, 314x319) Image search: [Google]
1453843537564.gif
98 KB, 314x319
>one of the few MMOs to have action combat
>people don't like it
>>
>>333127579
sandbox or pvp mmos are not like that
>>
>>333127707
i certainly hope you're not implying ToS has good pve combat
>>
>>333126909
And all the monsters are the exact same. If you go into the secret mines dungeon from level 15 you can easily outrun level 145 monsters because they're doomed the life of generic melee enemy who's only ability is gung-ho.
Ragnarok had tons of monsters with different combinations of behaviors. Even though that game was still just grinding forever you really had to shop around and see what kind of monsters you could handle depending on your gear and skill.

>>333127212
Yeah, skills not scaling is so garbage. That wugushi poison pot sure is going to feel strong when 100 attribute points in and it's only doing half the base damage of your rank 7 class.
>>
>>333127707
The combat isn't good enough to carry it. It's just clicking and queueing an attack and waiting for it to happen. Basically a 2D version of Blade and Soul, both being shitty.

I actually like MMOs and would like to get into one that isn't just a grindfest and feels decently rewarding/challenging, but I've found nothing.
>>
>>333127821
It has better combat than most MMOs. Good? I dunno. But better than the norm.
>>
>>333127935
being better than the norm in combat is not enough to save an mmo

see: Black Desert, Tera, Blade and Soul, etc.
>>
>>333127935
The combat is alright, but it feels so shallow I can't see myself doing it for 280 levels.
>>
This will teach you fags to just suck it up and finally acknowledge that this is the best (and only good) MMO currently in the market.
>>
>>333126585

I found the grinding to be a bit more fun during my time in the closed beta. I think that might have something to do with how the servers might have been though. This game launched last week though and certain channels in certain areas keep going down. I am 100% convinced right now that they probably had to rush the game out the door due to investors. I highly doubt any company would have wanted their game to end up being such a piece of shit at launch. Whenever the free to play launch hits the game will not be playable forvanybody. Hell it was hardly playable this weekend. I'm just glad I didn't get my hopes up on this game. It's fucking sad that the closed beta was more fun than the full game. They literally just lopped the nuts off thus game and released it. Whoever created the first architype for freemium games deserves a bullet in the head. Or at least their faced plastered on every freemium game to ward off people with common sense.
>>
>>333128181
>best
arguably
>and good
no, its just better than other trash
>>
>>333127935
boring combat desu, by the 6th boss it's boring samey

They should have had a better idea than

"lets have 600 levels of grinding mediocre content!"

Unless an MMO actually utilized massive multiplayer it's pointless. These games are just massive grindathons because gooks can't innovate.
>>
>>333125373
ya im gonna have to agree with the other anon
ffxiv takes a month tops toreach end game and that is on a leisurely pace. If you have buddies to level with you can cut that time in half. it took me 2-3 months of noliffing in the cbt just to get to 200
>>
>>333128181
I just can't stand the combat. Why can't an MMO just get it right? It's either the combat sucks and everything else is great, or everything else sucks and the combat is great.
>>
>>333128181

That's like saying it'd the best turf it the litter box though at this point. Yosheeple need to wake the fuck up and realize that their game panders to the lowest common denominator and that there is fucking hardly any semblance of an MMO in the game they're playing, let alone an RPG game.
>>
>>333128595

Turd* shitposting on a phone is annoying.
>>
File: 1459578846083.png (437 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1459578846083.png
437 KB, 960x640
>>333125878
Fucking. What? How do people justify this?
>>
File: Dievdirbys_M.gif (12 KB, 102x190) Image search: [Google]
Dievdirbys_M.gif
12 KB, 102x190
>>333121634
As a guy who sunk in 200+ hours into the beta let me tell you this.

First off it's boring. I takes quite a while to get to that stage but eventually when you've grinned for hundred hours it gets boring.

I expected RO type support classes and synergy.
What the game ended up as is healers being sort of useless. And sustain right clickers winning over everybody.

I went the unfortunate route of Divebrys or that guy that makes statues. Never to actually use them. Not once did I feel like the party had a big benefit from my supporting. And that statues took too long to make and did shitall... I honestly expected to be more then "nice thing to have around". Healers naturally can't solo for shit. So you need to grind party. Yet when you do the party is probably better off getting a DPS to kill shit more quickly.

In RO Priests where gods. After level 50 you simply wanted one in your party.

Now ignoring my plights as a healer. The fact is there tons of classes in the game. A lot of them are gimicky and useless because there no actual function for them.

In RO at least Alchemists had a niche in Guild Wars aka WoE. Here sure while some classes are nice to have in PVP you don't actually get anything out of it.

Grind 250 hours to be good at PVP? How about grind 0 hours and play Dota 2 instead since it's basically the same combat.
>>
>>333128436
games usually have a limited developmental budget of both time and money. they pour more resources in one area and slack off in another to balance their budget. with mmo's you can't slack off on the network programming so basically everything becomes secondary to that.
>>
File: ivIrP3S.png (180 KB, 2220x771) Image search: [Google]
ivIrP3S.png
180 KB, 2220x771
>>333128181
This is by far the best MMO yes but...

Take the DRG.

See this rotation? Well this is all there is.

I stand there avoiding AoE and going doing the opening and then going...

4567 QE Ctrl + E 8 1 2 3 QE 4567 QE 8 123

And then when shit comes down off cooldown I got CTRL + 1 etc...

In the end the combat in this game is standing there looking at the screen going 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 and repeat.
>>
>>333128897
It's not really that.

It's that there is an extreme cost to creating a MMO. So people want to fund something basically like World of Warcraft. They don't want to take a chance on a mmorpg.

So in general they all end up as grind themepark clones.

Instead of re-evaluating what you can do with thousands of people in the same sort of world. They just create a skinner box EQ/WoW - like game with the same formula of grind, endgame raids, etc.
>>
>>333128181
It's trash.
>>
>Ragnarok fans turned it on, found out the game had quests for the first 40 levels, and stopped playing claiming it was a linear sham
>Modern MMO fans played until level 40, realized the quests ended, and stopped playing, claiming it was a mindless grindfest

Stuck between a rock and a hard place. It had no chance.
>>
>>333127707
Maybe if that action combat had class synergy where mages didn't feel like useless pieces of shit after 1 minute because they have no MP. Maybe if support classes actually had good buffs and were mandatory, maybe if the developers actually looked at RO and it's combat to see what RO did right and wrong...
>>
>>333128181
ya but this is only good if you like FF games.
it is no better than wow (which has been boring for 7 years) but it has cool FF monsters.
>>
>>333128801
The class favoritism appears hellish.
Swordsman have the easiest time just cutting through mobs with high HP and auto attack, hardly have to care about much else and they get a dash.
Archers are stuck to low damage, shit SP gain and tons of their classes being gimmicks.
Cleric is just pure hell the farther out you get and it doesn't get better.
Can't speak about wizards though they seem well off.
>>
>>333121936
>say free
>not free
Oh gee what the fuck you expected.
>>
File: 1459126595766.png (24 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1459126595766.png
24 KB, 240x240
Guess all I can do is wait and see for myself when the F2P update rolls in.
>>
Too laggy
>>
>>333128181
havent played mmo for years

Tried out FFXIV for a while during one of the betas. It was mediocre as fuck with ridiculously bad UI Design. IF I had to really play a mmorpg, I'd probably pick it.

That being said, I'd rather play other games than mmorpg trash these days.

Until someone innovates and focuses on sandbox/social/pvp aspects, I don't care about the genre.
>>
>>333129519
Wizards are also plauged by shit SP gain...

Every boss fight with a them end up them running through their SP in like the first 1/3 of the HP then they just jump around and auto attack...

But yeah Archers and Clerics are fucked.
>>
File: 1311758059607.jpg (10 KB, 144x145) Image search: [Google]
1311758059607.jpg
10 KB, 144x145
/v/ doesn't like it, so the game must be good. Thanks guys, I'll check it out.
>>
>>333128801
Dievdirby was especially shitty because skills that need catalysts are effected by the server lag. I know because I was a quarrel shooter and even though stone shot was an instant skill I was caught in that animation for 3 or 4 seconds while enemies raped my face.

But another big problem is that the spawn rate and enemy density in this game are pathetic. A class like Dievdirby would never ever be useful to have around because once you get to actual grinding territory like the demon prison with only 2 channels for everyone level 160+ you can't afford to lure monsters back to your little camp while other players are killstealing any thing they can just for a sliver of exp.
>>
>>333129596
why would you save pictures of dicks anon
>>
File: PTSP.jpg (23 KB, 480x307) Image search: [Google]
PTSP.jpg
23 KB, 480x307
>>333129772
Yeah... it takes time to set up statues, they have shit AoE and then when you kill 5 mobs (that you would have killed without them)the statues useless.
>>
File: tos2560x1024.jpg (666 KB, 2084x1052) Image search: [Google]
tos2560x1024.jpg
666 KB, 2084x1052
>>333129845
Because I'm on 4chan since time immemorial and never in my life did I see people step so low to get a beta key.

Not even for Dota 2 not even for Diablo 3...
>>
>>333129225

Nice rotation faggot. Tell me about the astonishing mind blowingly retarded lack of progression that the game has. You are basically playing a really pretty game of Simon says. Every class literally plays the same way. Zero customization to how you play your classes. Gear choices are a no brainer. Getting new gear consists of going after the same piece of gear but with bigger numbers.

Face it. If you can't tell that they're creatively bankrupt theh look no further than how they blew their load on classic final fantasy armor naming schemes and the way you can predict the content of every single major patch. Stop giving these retards money. They don't give a shit about making a good game. They're dumping all the money from ff14 into ff14 and the playerbase on 14 is getting g cucked. You all deserve it though for sucking yoshi p's cock so hard. Telling him he's the savior of final fantasy.
>>
well we've come a long way since being the true RO successor huh

shits not even a functional game
>>
>>333130121
Shit is even dead in Korea and speculated to close down on the first anniversary so they won't give refunds for closing it early.
>>
>>333129594

Good luck. The servers are hardly playable now as it is. When the floodgates open then everything will crash and burn.
>>
>>333121634
The potential classes/class abilities and combinations are absolutely godlike, very few other MMOs comes close to the level of specific class roles you can take. It totally ditches the trinity for a system of balanced classes where everyone can be useful.

But the ENTIRE thing is ruined by grind and sub dividing all the classes in multiple tiers. You wont get into a fun class until your fourth/fifthcircle which means a massive amount of mindless grinding to get there, and even once you get into that class you have to grind even more just to get all the skills that class can offer.

And god help you if you want to play a sixth+ circle class because thats hundreds of hours of grinding.

I cant help but feel like people are getting tired of these themepark MMOs can it would have been better to go sandbox.
>>
>>333130051
>That LG superwidescreen monitor
wasnt that thing like a grand
was it worth it
>>
>>333130119
I never defended it the opposite.

I told you exactly the thing you did.

The only variety in the game is if you play tank vs healer vs DPS.

All DPS play the same, all healers play the same and all tanks are the same.

The game as zero customization yes. There no lack of progression really. You can do all the beat quest and shit... that should keep you occupied forever. Let's not forget crafting. But the fact is it's all too similar.

But compared to Tera and ToS, FFXIV is still by far the better game...
>>
>>333130119

Dumping all their money into ff15*
>>
>>333130278
Yeah because ArcheAge and Black Desert were fucking AMAZING right?

Fuck off with this "SANDBOX IS THE SOLUTION" shit.
>>
File: 1455987055051.jpg (46 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
1455987055051.jpg
46 KB, 312x312
>>333129596
That's one ugly penis.

I don't even want to see the rest of you.
>>
>>333129929
>>333129772
>Statues have long cooldowns
>SP regen/cost down doesn't do fuck all compared to ust sitting at a campfire
>cooldown reduction does fuck all, only good for aggro casted by causing slow
>only good skills are knife for being an actual attack that's not heal bomb/aspersion and warp statue for free warp scroll function.
>Later circles give you a shitty turret that doesn't attack fast at all
>silencing aoe tree
>statue that grants invulnerability but only if you waste time running around it three times like a retard that only lasts for a few seconds.

Divedirby was a mistake.
>>
>>333130278
Sandbox crashes and burns even quicker fuck off.
>>
>>333130424
Neither AA or BD are sandbox MMOs, so you didnt prove anything.

Both games were claimed to be sandbox but turned into themeparks before release.
>>
File: 2006vs2016.jpg (3 MB, 5108x2440) Image search: [Google]
2006vs2016.jpg
3 MB, 5108x2440
>>333130380
Grand no man this shits so cheap now...

350$ It's not 34" it's 29" basically the same height as a normal 24" LCD

Here shitty pictures of my setup.

Thats from the offical TOS shot with a nice camera from a nice angle.
>>
>>333130278
It's the same reason every publisher is pumping out MOBAs

There are like 50+ LoL clones, Lol With third person, LoL with special heroes, etc.

The fucking publishers and people funding video games are utterly fucking braindead and just tell their devs to copy the latest biggest money maker.

Then they all fucking fail because LoL and Dota 2 dominate the market.

It's the same thing with MMO's, publishers/execs just tell their guys to make WoW with a twist.

This game is just pure boring garbage and obviously entirely designed by producers/execs who told them to pile up to lvl 600+
>>
>Korean
>MMO
>p2w

Well that was easy.
>>
>>333130389

Yeah... but man is it still bad. If I could play on a populated ff11 server circa 2005 I would. Fucking hell man.
>>
>>333130445
Sorry anon thats not me. Thats people who sent some anon penises after he posted "LOL send penis pictures and I'll give you a TOS key"

And the worst thing is he had no key. So it was just bait an they all fell for it.
>>
>>333130512
Got any facts to back that up?
>>
>>333130687
Archeage, Everquest next, Black desert online
>>
>>333130687
Name ONE successful sandbox MMO that launched within the last 5 years.
>>
>>333127919
Dragon's Dogma Online
PSO2
>>
>barebones mmo even earlier iteration of ffxiv had more content
>hub-based area progression where there is only one hub
>stat reset potion removed for pressing ceremonial reasons
>skill reset only available via TP store, which costs almost the same as a costume
>game becomes a huge grind at mid levels and having just 8 channels per server means you'd have to compete for "grindspots" with bunch of other parties
>forget about dailies, close to being useless
>>
File: 1221585920345.jpg (864 KB, 645x4889) Image search: [Google]
1221585920345.jpg
864 KB, 645x4889
>>333130648
>saving dick pics of other people
>>
>>333130754

I got a better one for you. Name one successful mmo that has launched in the past 5 years that isnt dying or on life support.
>>
>>333130750
Not an sandbox, yup, not a sandbox

Anything else? That isnt much of a sample size to prove anything.

>>333130754
To what end? All you'll say is
>lolnodead

Why dont you show any successful MMOs at all, the entire genre is dying.
>>
>>333130645
Well I play Ragnarok Online pre renewal with normal morroc and a fuctioning player base but I can't.

Our first MMO memories are sweet sure. But this is the best we have now.

I'd give TOS 60$ and I promised myself I'd support TOS.

But you know what. I can't keep that promise because they didn't want to make "RO 2" they wanted to make another cutesy looking korean MMO that fails in 2 months. I played RO since 2004 till a good 2010. Not always but almost every summer an winter.

WoE was just so good. And you know what happened?

I got WoE in fact... it's called Dota 2 and it's literally the same.

You got 2 team competing to take down a crystal at the heart of their base. So thats what I play now because every MMO out there has no real competitive modes like WoE.
>>
>>333130687
Every sandbox that ever comes out instantly becomes irrelevant the moment it comes out.
It does not matter if it picks a lot of steam before, but after becomes instant vaporware.
Just because you took out level grind, and instead replaced it with building grind does not make it any better or fun.
Like your waifu, it's shit.
>>
>>333130854
That's actually pretty easy.
none
>>
>>333130892
Minecraft
>>
>>333131023
Thats a lot of hot baseless opinions and a total misunderstanding of what a sandbox MMO is.
>>
>>333127707
>of the few
It's not 2008 anymore.
>>
>>333130389
It's not so cut and dry that it is better than tera or ToS. Combat is the usually the main reason to play a game, and the combat in xiv made me want to kill myself.

I did not play nearly as much tera, but enjoyed its combat much more. I havnt really tried ToS, but i had trouble finding any sort of control scheme I liked.

There are ASPECTS XIV does better, but saying its flat out better is wrong.
>>
>>333131163
It's the MMO that I like compared to the one you like.
>>
>>333121894
If you don't buy the premium account:
- You can't trade with people
- You can have only one auction up in auction house
- Auction house takes 30% cut
- You can't set up a private shop
- You can only run 2 dungeon each day
- You can only learn one attribute at the time
>>
>>333131135
Are you trying to claim MC is a MMO? Because it isnt.
>>
it's the opposite of RO in everything except aesthetics
>>
>>333131226
But unlike you I understand and appreciate both types of MMO. But I wont waste any more time on someone who is totally ignorant to what MMOs actually are.
>>
>>333131232
If that's the case Dwarf Fortress would be the biggest one right?
>>
I've never played the game, but could probably sum up why it won't work just because I understand MMOs.

It's too old school of a game, requiring time put in and developing friendships over time, and that's dead on the internet.

Now everyone is that "epic troll" in chats that everyone knows for making racey jokes. There's no genuine people, and those that are, get swatted down by people that think they're epicly trolling everyone.

MMOs are ded.
>>
>>333131232
Minecraft is simply the best example to prove sandbox > themepark
>>
>>333131185
Look while combat might be the reason to play the game. Thats not the only way to play.

There is a shitload of crafting, minigames and other shit to do in FFXIV.

And honestly FFXIV Dungeons are way better then anything ToS offers in terms of gameplay.

While the MMO Trinity is outdated and shit.

At least FFXIV has a trinity. In TOS you play DPS or you don't actually play.
>>
>>333131319
Yabba dabba doo.
You speak like a caveman.
>>
>>333131319
I'm not the person you've been arguing with.
>who is totally ignorant to what MMOs actually are.
I guess my throw away point was more accurate than I could have ever imagined it would be.
>>
>>333131352
Agree 100%. What made games like RO and FFXI great, and made MMOs of that time so compelling, was the community/social element. You invested time, made friends, progressed, and as a result felt satisfied.

Now, nobody wants to make, or is willing to risk making, those sorts of relationships.
>>
>>333131357
XIV does have ok dungeons and other minigame things, but its a game full of pretty side fluff (and I mean really side fluff) and not much else. I was mainly comparing the combat to tera, not so much to ToS as ToS sounds worse

and yeah, the trinity is loved or hated, a setup that works.

I actually played and had a love hate with xiv in 2.0 and did some coil and shit, but you cant tryhard when the fucking ui and game and servers fight against you, and they decided to make all of the pve a giant game of simon says on top of "simon says dont stand in this" at the same time.
doesn't help they shit the bed hard with HW and in some cases added complexity just for complexities sake, which is awful.
>>
>>333121930
The game isn't even out yet shitlord, launches on the 28th.
>>
>>333130779
>>333128801
so from what I've read, the only class to bother playing is swordsman (what I tend to roll in mmos) but I never expected it to be the best, usually ranged shits on everything.

the problem I had was not finding a control scheme I liked to play the shit as melee.
>>
>>333123321
You can buy the tokens required to get premium from players via auction house
>>
File: 1440036188059.gif (199 KB, 336x468) Image search: [Google]
1440036188059.gif
199 KB, 336x468
that feel when you commander load failed into a zone that has not working channels
>>
File: screenshot_20150807_00035.jpg (626 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_20150807_00035.jpg
626 KB, 1920x1080
>>333131352
No man thats a die hard fan argument that won't work.

Because I am one of them die hard fans.

It's not that the game has grind, it's not that there no handholding, it's not that theres no quests after a level.

These are all positive things people like about RO.

The problem with this game is substance there none.

RO had 2 things that made it work as a sandbox.

You had HUGE HUGE maps filled with stuff or nothing. Yet you could use flywing or teleport to make these maps small. Tale this beta screenshot of mine. Every map in TOS feels like I'm playing fucking UBMALA from RO. So basically the maps are shit. I mean sure if they were dungeons I'd be happy. But the overworld is basically a fucking dungeon. Thats unexceptable. Give me huge maps open maps so I can run around.

Next we have nothing to do. There no guild wars or real raids. There no party content there nothing a big group of people in a guild could come together and do.

Now maybe the crafting systems good? NOPE. Most of the shit you can craft is useless.

Lets not mention how utterly gimped Arcehrs are the how

>requiring time put in and developing friendships over time
is negated because support classes don't actually support for shit.
>>
>>333131561
Like I said FFXIV is far from perfect. But we live in a shit time for MMOs. They're mostly dead except for FFXIV. And Japs can't develop for shit.

Yet somehow even brain dead jap developers managed to concoct the best MMO while Korea that shit out MMOs on a monthly basis can't beat.

Maybe it was because I was young... but holy fuck even Trickster Online was better then TOS...
>>
Commander failing to blow his load
>>
>>333131693
Controller-based is the best scheme to use albeit very clunky and the UI has not been designed for controller usage. It would play similar to Bastion or any top-down action based game on console, and using skills are similar to FFXIV where you press and hold the shoulder buttons and press the necessary action button.
>>
>>333128181
>Every mmo thread has some shitter shilling this garbage game.

It never fucking fails.
>>
>>333132584
Is it viable to use the controller at max level in FF14? I was running out of space even on the shoulder presses around 58 on a drk.
>>
>>333122990
>>333122639

>spend 13 hours a day making something for a few years
>have to write description to make money
>whatever i want to sleep
>type type
>whatever I have other stuff to deal with like how i'm going to eat

Jesus it's not rocket science.
>>
File: 1448327044320.jpg (12 KB, 275x274) Image search: [Google]
1448327044320.jpg
12 KB, 275x274
>>333131229
i know things are bad going there.

but dear god, this is jew tier level of greedy.
>>
>>333132105
This. I had more fun in Trickster Online than what I'm having right now. Maybe it's just the free economy. Had fun collecting mussels and selling for shit. Grindy as fuck but it gives the social aspect "life". TOS just feels dead to me.
>>
>>333132778
I wouldn't know. I never reached high-enough level on FFXIV to warrant an opinion. Although I figured in just a few dungeon runs as a support healer type to just stick with keyboard and mouse if you're not leveling solo.
>>
>>333132835
and the premium cost you 18$ per month
>>
>>333132997
I can see it as a healer, the targeting system would be annoying as hell.
>>
>>333132835
You can buy premium time from players.
>>
>>333132105
Koleans only want to grind. Diablo 2 is like pinnacle game design for them.
>>
>>333122046
MENACE 1-5 YOU'RE OUT OF TIME
>>
There have been so many failed MMOs in the past 3 years and you guys still get hyped for this shit. How many letdowns is it gonna take?
>>
File: XkkulAw.jpg (122 KB, 1740x826) Image search: [Google]
XkkulAw.jpg
122 KB, 1740x826
>>333133129
More then FFXIV HOW?!
>>
>>333121634

I knew as soon as I saw this game being talked about on /v/ months ago and the words "Nexon" it would be ruined and complete trash.

Once a jew, always a jew.
>>
>>333131229
Any word on emulation? Does the e/rAthena even care?
>>
>>333133147
Expect that without premium you can't trade for them and AH has 500k minimum price for the tokens.
>>
File: 1424769834389.jpg (304 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1424769834389.jpg
304 KB, 1536x2048
>>333128259
>Whoever created the first architype for freemium games deserves a bullet in the head.

i don't know why, but i read that like some serious line in someone with a feud.
>>
>>333133216
Except that D2 and RO were great while ToS forgot everything.
>>
>>333131229
You can't set up shops regardless, only crafting classes can for their own services and it's not a token feature. The dungeon thing is +1/day, most attributes are learned instantly, and normal players are also taxed by the auction house at 10%.

The tokens only matter if you are trying to jew the market/other people hardcore, and anybody that's at the point where they can do that can buy the tokens off other players.
>>
>>333133579
They aren't tradable on a player to player basis eitherway

You have to buy them at Auction House
>>
>>333130964

Better than what I do. I just sit around and jerk off all day and shit post on 4chan until I see something I want to play.
>>
>>333133686
well i mean they like the grind part but tend to forget why people could literally grind forever in that game
>>
>>333133579
500k is not hard to make, a rare drop from the level 90 dungeon currently sells for slightly more than the tokens and after a certain point mobs start dropping a lot of silver. Tokens are largely just a buy-in fee for new players and something whales will sell to level up their attributes.
>>
>>333133939
>buy-in fee for new players

what does that mean

>something whales will sell to level up their attributes

wtf is a whale (aside from the marine mammal)
>>
>>333134025
>Whale

Player with large amount of disposable income that will spend too a lot of money on the game, the main targets for mobile games.

>Buy in fee

An initial investment to play the game. You buy the token once and then level up to the point where you can hopefully afford them with in game currency.
>>
>>333130119
it's like you didn't even read the post you're responding to. wow!
>>
>>333133605
Look at Valve or LOL these are fine freemium games.

Hell look at Path of Exile that games more popular then Diablo 3 yet it has no real bullshit to buy.

Why did ToS have to be so greedy?
>>
>>333133328
We're like the Pirates of the Caribbean. We drink and eat but no food will ever satiate.
>>
>>333134392
>fine freemium games
>LoL

I hope you are joking.
>>
>>333133839
how long you've been keep the duty going anon?
>>
>>333131229
So let me get this straight.

They're offering this to non playing players?

I was under the impression when you give people F2P access to a game it's there so the Buy people feel happy. So the game has a functioning economy and people you can party up with.

>You can't trade with people
>You can have only one auction up in auction house
>Auction house takes 30% cut
>You can't set up a private shop

But this basically negates any economy parts the free player partake in.

>You can only run 2 dungeon each day
>You can only learn one attribute at the time

And this negates any players available for buy fags to play with.

I mean what are the Koreans thinking? I'm not super smart guy but even I can see they're literally undermining the F2P model at it's core. By gimping the non buy fags so much they don't actually contribute to anything.

Why not just make it a monthly sub or one time payment? You're segregating players this way too much.
>>
>>333134741
$20 says the system changes between now and launch.
>>
File: CJz-7Z8UwAA0R2-.png (645 KB, 550x1081) Image search: [Google]
CJz-7Z8UwAA0R2-.png
645 KB, 550x1081
>>333121634
https://www.reddit.com/r/treeofsavior/comments/273s1x/so_basically_im_working_on_why_ragnarok_was_so/

Should have listened to this guy and all the commend in the thread. Could have build a fine MMO.
>>
File: NOPE.jpg (63 KB, 457x331) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.jpg
63 KB, 457x331
Pic related.
>>
>>333132584
Thats the problem I have with the controller, i was looking at what all abilities i'd have on my class (at the same anyway) and there was no way it would be fun to try and use more than the what, 4? or 8 skills you have access too easily on a controller. The XIV setup to hold buttons to swap to right thing is awful and my hands and brain cant get used to it and hate it. I just dont like that control scheme.
>>
>>333121634
>What the fuck went wrong?
Areas and Dungeons are all liner as fuck.

Thats honestly it, I could have overlooked everything else if they were big and interesting areas to dick around in with friends, but nope, hallways.
>>
>>333134869
Thats the problem in Korea.

In the west they're self publishing via steam.

But it seems they can't get out of the Korean Grind Freemium mindset...
>>
>>333134392
Fine freemium is more along the line of what valve does, NOT what LOL does.

Dota should be the fucking goal of every free to play but it isnt because they can continue to treat customers like shit and get money from nickel and dime out the ass, all because the base game is fucking free
>>
>>333134741
You can buy premium time from the auction house.
>>
File: 1459680684131.jpg (74 KB, 599x563) Image search: [Google]
1459680684131.jpg
74 KB, 599x563
>>333134869
>fucked up Dragon Nest really good last year,
>Maple's anal destroyer
>ToS the shit into garbage
>>
>>333131229
Isn't there a price cap for auctioned items as well? You're going to see shortages when prices aren't allowed to correlate with demand.
>>
>>333131594

They give a 30 day paid access priviledge to people. Fuck, 3 days are a huge deal in mmos nowdays. 30 fucking days takes a dump on all non paying characters.
>>
>>333135098
That's not why. Dota 2 and Path of Exile both have the most fair f2p systems on the market, but they have a huge thing in common; they launched with a large and established western fanbases; Dota 2 had players from the original dota and PoE had Diablo 2. Other f2p games don't have that benefit.
>>
>>333135170
man I like the combat in dragon nest, and I play it once every year just to continue the awful "story" but man the balance and well, everything fucking else is pretty awful in that game. Mainly pretty much any game with an enhance and kaboom style system for gear.

Now I kind of want to play dragon nest again... fuck.
>>
>>333122285

Ro had a bot problem. Not a grinding one tough. Grinding was literally the point of the game. The thing was it was worth grinding nearly everywhere or at least it gave you a feelingo f progress wherever you were grinding, either you got xp, cards, or mats for hats/alchemy.
>>
>>333135330
if you haven't been around since lvl 90 revamp.
by the god, you shouldn't back man, just don't.
>>
>>333128801

>priest
>lvl 50

Triggered here desu. That implies the priest isnt even job 50 aco.
>>
It's KOREAN.

Koreans don't make games.

They make anime tiddies.
>>
>>333125878
Don't forget that due to how fucked up balance is, the early classes that you can get in the lower level 100s and 00s are objectively worse than the tier 3 classes you unlock in the 200s.
>>
>>333129519
>Archers are stuck to low damage
Level 118 Archer here in the current whatever-the-hell-beta-thing is up right now on steam, I can say that archers got buffed to shit once out of closed beta and instead of swords 2-hitting things they now 3-hit things... So I dunno.
>>
>Can't trade with other players directly
>Auction House listings limited if you don't have premium membership

Who thought this was okay? WHO FUCKING GREENLIT THIS TERRIBLE IDEA?
>>
>>333135496
I had played in the beta at 24 cap, then during assassin with mist nest (what a fuckshow that was) and then just a few at 90, pretty much only played for the story on the short 90 stint. Sad, isn't it?

What I found even more baffling was that the fucking edgy mcedgelord sword class was apparently actually bad, like how stupid can you be to not make that shit a bit more op instead.

I'll likely try it again in half a year or a year or some shit for a few weeks.
>>
>>333125459
>lackluster story

You are the chosen one battling motherfucking gods themselves. It's anything but.
>>
>>333136139
played first on 60, after while.. had a shitton of fun in volcano nest, and desert dragon. man. those place where when single faggot fuckup end up fuck entire party. then the insults coming. everyone going apeshit.
feels like my depressed get cured the longer i play.

then they put 90 coming.
-wipe entire nests
-wipe entire dragon nest but red one.
-wipe those 2man party, man i had blast in there.
-deleting mission reward
-wipe agates and loots, man i learn how the market works from this game. demand and supply shit. i felt like i could step up to forex shit.
-pvp now is fallout with a fucking sword, everyone bullet sponge.
-and else that i can't remember anymore..
>>
>>333137514
>literally every JRPG and anime cliche ever: The Game

yawn
>>
I wish someone brought back trickster and actually gave it content. Dumbass devs just killed their own game because they only released event quests and shit
>>
>>333126026
Yeah, that's messed up. Hope they'll change it because I don't see anyone wanting to willingly sacrifice time and a class rank just to be able to make a guild.
>>
>>333138343

I actually like that. It makes guild a dedication, and not just everyone making a guild.
>>
>>333126837
>you can choose to advance to a different class or stay with the class you already have and unlock and further level up its skill tree

The only problem is that more often than not there's no reason to stay in your class rank since even if you unlock more of your skill tree it's still underpowered compared to the dmg you could deal as a new class.
>>
>>333131229
I guarantee you a bunch of these will ease up over time. It remains to be seen whether game will survive that long, though.
>>
>>333138869

The issue is that if you are too slow to react you permanently lose a big cut of a playerbase. Its hard to bring back people who were turned off of your game.
>>
>>333139249
Yep. Case in point, Wildstar. I would have given it a shot if it released freemium or just buy to play. Even when it announced going f2p, I just cannot be arsed to go even trying out the game I've completely written off.
>>
>>333130119
you're such a fucking idiot, you are literally arguing against someone who is agreeing with you because you cannot read
>>
>>333137969
>I expected something not cliche in a fucking MMO storyline
>>
>>333139543

Same for me, wildstar turned me off once, and i never looked back. And honestly, people got sick of shitty nickle and diming and straight up p2w things. PoE and dota have shown you can make bank without shitting on your players.
>>
The majority of complaints are ones that can be applied to pretty much any mmo.
The jewy fucking premium and the horrible optimization though are real problems and need to be fucking fixed immediately.
>>
>>333121634
A lot of people are fucking stupid and thought they needed to buy the $50 pack when you only need the $10 one.
>>
>>333139543
This. People like to say that ToS will get better, but it really won't because lost players are generally gone permanently.

The only exception to this is FFXIV but I don't keep up with that game to know how it accomplished this.
>>
>>333140750

Is FFXIV an exception tough? I feel like FF has just carved out a little niche for itself it happily lives inside.
>>
File: 1456798365217.png (231 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1456798365217.png
231 KB, 600x600
Korea doesn't know
They don't know what made Ragnarok Online a success
There's not really any indication of why that one MMO managed to instill what it did during that era, since it was a combination of different factors (Artstyle, Nordic background, excellent music, etc) amd mmo creators are only taking a single point

RO was lightning in a fucking bottle and nobody will ever make something that has its insane level of cult MMO classicness again
>>
>>333126026
Isn't the guild creation an account unlock and not character-tied? As in you can create and lead a guild with any character as long as one of the characters on you account has a level in Templar.
>>
>>333141368
Context of your image?
>>
>>333141517
Spiteful, stupid goddess Archpriest comes to turn undead on kindly Lich's party
>>
>>333141368

Korea doesn't know? You sure?

I'm fairly 105% sure that its because now they develop mmos with monetization in mind. Instead of making a good game first money second game. You know, actually making something people would be willing to pay money for.
>>
>>333142191
actually making something people would be willing to pay money for.
A good game?
>>
>>333141119
that's always been living off of being "pretty wow" with final fantasy name + the awful consoles holding it back (since FF is mainly consoles as well to boot)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3FJL9xZh98
>>
>>333142826
>Activate windows
>>
>>333141621
what gaem
>>
>>333143030
boku no KonoSuba
It's a chinese cartoon, but a good 10 episodes if you have the time
>>
>people complain about imbalance and useless classes

Just give it time. The game is from the people who made Ragnarok Online. That game took years to balance, but they managed to do it. Old Gravity was the Blizzard of its time when it comes to class balance. IMC Games will manage it.
>>
>>333135280
>Path of Exile
>large and established fanbase
The only reason anyone knows about Path of Exile is because Diablo 3 fucked up really, really badly, and people found out that some random faggots from NZ made a much better game for free. If Diablo 3 had been decent, then Path of Exile would of been a relatively niche ARPG.

A better example is Torchlight, because that had Diablo 2 devs behind it, and was considered the spiritual successor or something of D2.
>>
>>333121634
>weebshit
You should have stayed with your PS4
>>
>mmorpg
>storyline is that you are the chosen one
>in a mmorpg

Why do developers do this? They must be aware how dumb that is.
>>
>>333145038
>Weebshit
>Weeaboo is based around japan
>ToS is a korean game
More like Koreaboo friendo
>>
>>333128764
muh hours and hours of content :^)

Companies have been putting more and more padding in their games we've gotten to this point.
>>
>People still don't realized RO was a fluke

Literally the only thing that that game did right was the economy system. Everything else about it (apart from music and art direction) was garbage.
>>
>>333128181
Took me til 3.1 to realize it's shit and the producer was a one trick pony, haven't played since, been playing XI til XV comes out. I don't think the series needed another MMO.
>>
>>333130119
>Telling him he's the savior of final fantasy.
Why did people say this? He saved one game most FF fans didn't care about. He hardly saved the series. Most people were waiting for LR or XV anyway. The MMO's have their own fanbase.
>>
>>333140139
That expectation really isn't unreasonable.
>>
>>333148074
No it's not, but you really shouldn't expect otherwise in an mmo.
Cliche stories are really easy to do in MMOs, especially "you are the chosen one, go fight a god"
While on this topic, are there any MMOs with a good story? XIV was ok but it didn't really catch me.
>>
>implying the best mmo isn't DDO
>>
Can i play with a controller?

I know i'll get bored of it just like the other thousand MMO's i tried. But i love Job Systems and the artstyle and it's free, so fuck it.
>>
>>333150950
You can play with the controller. I've been playing in both beta and early access and it's done decently although you have to access some menus using keyboard.
>>
just play ESO or BDO

only good mmos right now
>>
>>333121634
Kimshit.
Koreans can't make good games.
>>
>>333146982
Your birth was a fluke.
Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.