[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is any one hyped?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12
File: EnterTheGungeongif.gif (129 KB, 477x184) Image search: [Google]
EnterTheGungeongif.gif
129 KB, 477x184
Is any one hyped?
>>
File: Untitled (2).jpg (472 KB, 1440x1672) Image search: [Google]
Untitled (2).jpg
472 KB, 1440x1672
Yes, I've been waiting for a game like this for years
Golly gee I sure hope it isn't shit!
>>
File: gungeon.gif (1 MB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
gungeon.gif
1 MB, 550x550
dumping my other Gungeon gif
>>
Absolutely. I've been watching some streams of it before release, shit looks dope.

The good thing about this game is that, unlike Nuclear Throne or the vanilla Binding of Isaac, the devs actually took their time to polish the damn game before releasing it.
>>
>>333118071
cobalt?
>>
>>333117970
Do we know if the weapons are procedurally generated in this like they are in Neuro Voider?
That's my fallback if EtG falls short
>>
Not after what happened last time...
>>
>>333118408
Yeah. I wish I hadn't spoiled myself in, but at least he hasn't reached the final bosses yet (but he DID get past the final floor).

>>333118502
As far as I'm aware, every weapon is unique but not randomly generated. It's mostly like Isaac.
>>
>>333117750
>2d shooter in a dungeon

Nah not really man it's a mix of features from a ton of games I've already played. I'm really not interested in another of something I've already played. I'm sure other people will play it though. but as much as a generic game like this can attract players I suppose.
>>
>>333118654
how can you stand to watch someone that stupid and ugly?
>>
In their original announcement they said it was a 2d roguelite dark souls with guns

I do not believe you can drain more hype via buzzwords than by saying that
>>
>>333118071
Does it have one of those shitty systems where you can put your currency aside to use on future runs?
If so I'm canceling my preorder
>>
>>333118883
It's the only stream, I think, which has the full build of the game.

The official dev stream locks out the final floor.
>>
>>333119087
no it doesn't

why does that trigger you so hard? just wondering. seems like a harmless feature.
>>
I'm pumped to play it again (really wish they'd just release the demo they had a bit early)

I haven't watched anything but the first level/boss. I'm kind of hoping they go through with releasing online coop some time down the road.

>>333119087
fuck I hope not, I hated that about Heavy Bullets
>>
It's on vita right?
I know it's PC/PS4, but I love playing games on my vita
>>
>>333119087
it has a system where there is a separate currency that you use to unlock guns/items for future runs
afaik you seem to start without any buffs for future runs
>>
>>333119087
>>333119216
Unfortunately, yes. How it works, basically, is:

>hub level is empty at first
>you have to save NPCs from cells, who then appear in the hub
>you get some kind of currency for killing bosses
>you use that currency to unlock items sold by the hub NPCs, these items will appear in future runs

>>333119261
I don't think it's on anything but PS4/PC, sorry.
>>
>roguelite

wew lad
>>
>>333119209
>no it doesn't
goooooood

>why does that trigger you so hard? just wondering. seems like a harmless feature.
Because when that system is in place the prices have to balance themselves around it, and it adds a shitty grinding element and makes you feel like it's wasteful to hang onto money if you might die. I like everything I have in a given run in these not-roguelikes to be resources I make entire use of within that one run, you should never feel like you have anything to lose long-term.

It dissuades you from spending every last penny on items to push a run as hard as possible knowing you're probably about to die, instead you just say "fuck this run" and cash out for the next one rather than risking wasting it.

>>333119427
That's fine as long as its a separate currency from the one you get as basic loot and spend in per-run shops.
>>
>>333119606
>as long as its a separate currency from the one you get as basic loot and spend in per-run shops

It is. The actual money you use on shops only lasts for one run, like Isaac.
>>
>>333119209
Not him but I hate the "bank" mechanic because it feels like it puts me in a mindset of either committing to a run or committing to a run being a wash and just using it to prop up a future run.

it also means that pricing can be balanced around much higher item costs which force saving over multiple shitty-on-purpose runs

>>333119427
this sounds like a different system than what I take issue with. I can at least stomach unlock tokens etc. >>333119685 this is good news.
>>
>>333119685
That's great then, it gives you a sense of progression but doesn't gimp how you play in a given run. Perfect.
>>
Forgot to mention, there's one thing about this game I don't like and that's how long a run can be. I've seen runs last more than a goddamn hour.

The whole game is five floors give or take, but most of the rooms are huge, making a single floor larger than an XL floor in Isaac.

What I liked about Isaac and especially Nuclear Throne is that you could get to the endgame quickly enough so that you don't lose too much progress if you die. This is not the case in Gungeon.
>>
File: cartoon face.jpg (8 KB, 223x214) Image search: [Google]
cartoon face.jpg
8 KB, 223x214
>>333119809

> rogueish pixel indie shit
>>
>>333120143
I like the sound of that, I like sinking into a big long run and having my decisions feel like they hold a lot of impact. I'm used to that from actual roguelikes.

I love NT but the pace is just too fast for me to see it as anything but a twitchy arcade game.
>>
is it anything like Nuclear Throne? Or at least as awesome but less buggy and crashy as?
>>
>>333120654
better question, is it actually 60 fps
>>
>>333120654
The game is pretty much a combination of Isaac's floor-based dungeons and Nuclear Throne's weapon-based combat.

As for bugs, I've only seen one major bug on a stream that I'm sure the devs have fixed by now.

>>333120723
I can't tell for certain, but it seems definitely more than 30 fps.
>>
>>333120148
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>333121154
This is my favorite meme because you almost never get a response when posting this. except this instance where I'm pointing it out. lel.
>>
>>333119063
Yeah, comparing it to Dark Souls was a bad idea. if someone could post that whole "Dark Souls of X" article, that would be a great example of the buzzword being misused.

This game even took the dodge roll mechanics from Dark Souls, if I remember correctly.
>>
I like roguelites like Tower of Guns, Ziggurat, Nuclear Thone.

How does this one compare?

I thought Issac was shit and couldnt stand it
>>
>>333117750
I'm a devolver drone

Even if it was shit, I'd end up hyping it.

But this one actually looks fun
>>
>>333122194
If you hated Isaac for its floor-based gameplay, you may not like it. There are five floors (with some secret ones) which are bigger than Isaac's floors, so an average run could end up 40+ minutes long.

The combat is pretty much a carbon copy of NT; you have guns which shoot projectiles at enemies who shoot red projectiles of varying patterns.
>>
>>333122487
Might get it, the combat was the main issue with issac.
>>
>>333122941
Yeah, I'll be honest I'm not a big fan of Isaac's combat either.

Particularly the enemies. They're so easy and simplistic compared to NT and especially Gungeon, it's not even funny.

I hope one of Afterbirth+'s mods is to make all the enemies a lot harder with more interesting bullet patterns.
>>
another one of these games huh?
>>
>>333123251
>Particularly the enemies. They're so easy and simplistic compared to NT and especially Gungeon, it's not even funny.
>I hope one of Afterbirth+'s mods is to make all the enemies a lot harder with more interesting bullet patterns.
The reason they can't do that is because the movement is slippery as hell and you can't actually be accurate with your shots.

I never got the appeal of BoI
>>
>>333123651
Indeed, it seems that the rogue"like" is becoming a meme genre with indie devs, but I'm okay with that as long as replayability is a focus.
>>
>>333120143
>The whole game is five floors give or take
are there secret floors?
plans for expansions?
I'm not convinced 5 floors are going to hold my interest for that long
>>
I really wish they didnt give streamers the game so early,I am THIS close to spoil the game for myself
Also,can you loop like in NT?
>>
>>333117750
It literally looks the exact same as Nuclear Throne. And that game isn't very good.

Why should I be excited for a rip-off of a lousy game? Will this one at least have good music?
>>
>>333125595
>It literally looks the exact same as Nuclear Throne.
It's not.
>>
>>333124047
Seriously. I love rouge lites, but BoI is one of the worst ones (not counting shovelware ones) I've played. I feel like the main reason it got so much attention is because it was a lot of peoples first roguelite.
>>
File: 1459629223952.png (321 KB, 448x451) Image search: [Google]
1459629223952.png
321 KB, 448x451
>>333125478
>NT
>bad music
IT'S THE
>>
>>333125478
Secret floors, yes there's at least two. Unlike NT's secret floors (except for a couple? I forgot), the secret floors in this game do not override the default floors. For example:

>floor 1
>secret floor 1
>floor 2
>floor 3
>secret floor 2
>etc.

One of the devs said that they would consider expansions if the game does well enough.
>>
>>333122304
I got on the Broforce train real early and the only enjoyable part of it was checking out the new heroes. Big regret on that one.

>>333125679
I wasn't a fan either, but I think the kind of goofy/grotesque design, amount of content and the complete randomness carried it a long way. If it was a game you enjoyed playing, there was definitely enough there to keep you playing for quite a while.

>>333125595
Definitely distinct from NT, but if you really didn't like a single thing about NT then you could probably give this a pretty safe pass
>>
>>333125750
Doseone did the music for that YV level, and he's doing Gungeon's entire soundtrack.
>>
>>333125989
Randomness is inherent to every roguelite, not just BoI. That's literally a requirement of the genre.
>>
>>333117750
I am. I bought both versions of the plushies for the codes.
>>
>>333126105
Isaac is too random though,You either get carried or have to rely on dry baby to deal damage
>>
>>333126105
Not him, but I think BoI's randomness was too much to handle. You could make or break runs with one item alone, Soy Milk being an example of this.

NT and Gungeon feel more fair to me. Yes there's randomness, but most guns seem balanced outside of the deliberately OP/shitty ones.
>>
>>333126105
well aware, but I think that they did something really clever by having the "items" stack, creating crazy interactions. It still gives the same sense of progression finding loot does in any roguelike/lite but it goes a little beyond that too.
>>
File: gungeon.png (146 KB, 384x196) Image search: [Google]
gungeon.png
146 KB, 384x196
im hyped, it has been a while since the last time i pre ordered something

i wish i could have gotten the plushies but importing would have been expensive

i can get the "collectors edition" on steam but im not sure if it will be worth paying more just for one gun a comic and the ost
>>
>>333126105
He's probably complaining about just how much randomness there is in BoI. It's enough to the point where each run just feels like another pull of the slot machine hoping you win big and get a free win, the game is a lot more dependent on what items you get than your actual consistent skill.
>>
>>333126398
>>333126378
Yeah that was one of my main gripes about Issac (besides the shitty floaty/slippery controls). Seemed like it was always either a cakewalk or a fucking slog.
>>
>>333117750

this game seems like it'll be much better than BoI honestly

faster paced
more fun and dynamic mechanics
and actually challenging beyond RNG just screwing you over occasionally
>>
>>333126594
>faster paced
gameplay looked pretty slow to me
definitely slower than NT
>>
File: rotmg.png (55 KB, 463x419) Image search: [Google]
rotmg.png
55 KB, 463x419
>>333117872
>not rotmg

Yup

why did they have to fucking sell it? Why do indie devs have literally NO pride?
>>
File: soldier__8d5bodpn.png (429 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
soldier__8d5bodpn.png
429 KB, 900x506
>>333117970
>There's a mailbox gun.
>And a fish barrel gun
>>
>>333126731
>Mad God
Have you tried Private Servers? There's a few good ones out there.
I'm so sorry, though. Mad God was some awesome shit.
>>
>>333126731
pride don't pay the rent
>>
File: 1401458253806.jpg (11 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1401458253806.jpg
11 KB, 250x241
>>333117872
>not rotmg
>>
>>333126439
Don't buy the collector's, everything is pretty much just bonus shit.

You can unlock the gun in-game, it's not exclusive to the collector's.
>>
>>333126853
>Have you tried Private Servers? There's a few good ones out there

Back when i played every private server was run by a 14 year old and all they did was abuse the admin commands/add OP shit items/add pony shit.

>>333126985
ROTMG was insanely successful and profitable, they sold it because they were "bored" of it and they have subsequently faded into obscurity because they keep trying to make ROTMG 2: tank boogaloo or some shit.
>>
File: 1398846597780.png (153 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1398846597780.png
153 KB, 700x700
>>333126853
>private servers

where
>>
>>333126702

NT is extremely fast paced though

the reason Gungeon will be more fast paced is because the teleport removes backtracking
however clearing each room does seem to take more time so you spend more time in meaningful combat and less time just walking around getting from point A to point B
I think most people would agree thats a good thing
>>
Looks like a game I'd spend 5 or so bucks on, not 15, and this "sale" is a joke.
>>
>>333127150
>>333127194
Search Realm of the Mad God private servers.
You should get a myriad of semi-obscure forum results. There's a lot of bad ones and a lot of good ones with good things. There's one I was one that provides new players with gear kits through chat commands for when you hit level 20.
Basically, if you're shit at the game and/or die a lot, you don't have to hoard cheaper good gear for new characters, since you can just kit them with decent gear for a fresh 20.
I believe pure T7.
>>
>>333127686
>10% off is a joke
Entitled.
But if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's not like we're MAKING you buy it.
>>
>>333127471
Oh yeah, I think it looks like gameplay I can get behind, I was just remarking that it didn't seem all that much faster than BoI (in-combat)

good to know about the whole less backtracking thing
>>
>>333127717
>There's one I was one that provides new players with gear kits through chat commands for when you hit level 20.

That sounds awful and hand holdey.

I liked rotmg because it took work to get the good gear and stats, and if you fucked up you lost it.

Thanks anyways though, always nice to see someone else missing the same game i do.

Every time i hop on to see how it is it's like the game is frozen in time at it's worse point. The pay to win features barely even function anymore and they don't fix anything.
>>
>>333127686
It's a pre-order sale, they tend to not hit beyond the 15% mark.
That said, you'll probably have a -30% sale come summertime.
>>
counting on this shit to tide me over until the next hitman episode drops
>>
>>333127957
Guess what, T7 is awful in the long run, it's enough to get by, but T8 is a bare minimum for extended dungeoneering and God planes.
Also, T2 spacebar gear, IIRC, which is considered awful in all cases post-20.

I know, I retried it recently and the community is so different. If you can't speedrun through Oryx's castle, you basically can't even get to the big fight. The potions from the guy in the cave help a lot, though.
>>
>>333127820

Which the way Steam only lets you add money in increments you pretty much save nothing from this.
>>
>>333128529
>Steam only lets you add money in increments
Are you actually retarded?
Put shit in your cart.
Then go to checkout.
Then (if you have enough in your Steam Wallet) click the Change button by payment method and set it to whatever.
Bam, you can now pay exact price for any game you want.
>>
>>333128639

I don't buy many games. I didn't know.
>>
Well if it's anything like Nuclear Throne then for $15 I have no problem getting it. Although I suck dick at Nuclear Throne. I just really love rouge lites
>>
>>333127953

BoI pacing is really just a crapshoot anyway

sometimes you finish in 20 minutes sometimes you finish in an hour
some rooms could take you a couple seconds some could take a minute or more

ETG doesn't really seem like it will be this way
>>
>>333128390
I get that t7 isn't good gear, it's the fact that there is hand-holding at even the most basic level.

I guess i'm just used to going from nothing to 6/8 in a day because i know how to play.
>>
can they just fucking release already I mean fuck
>>
>>333128847
Stop being entitled anon
>>
>>333128704
Eh, it's fine. I don't blame you. Now you know.

>>333128794
Eh, I mean you don't have to use the commands. And it's not like 6/7 is any more rare. There's very few servers nowadays who mess with the drop rates.
Man, to think, Mad God could've been so much more...
>>
>>333117750
The pixels will look hideous and change sizes all the time because of that 3d stuff... Game will probably be amazing though
>>
File: 1444698724766.jpg (29 KB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
1444698724766.jpg
29 KB, 699x699
>>333117750
>>333117970

Gee, sure looks and sounds unique and fresh

Can't wait to see how this veritable citizen kane of video games plays
>>
>>333128847
Less than two days now, I can't wait either but it's coming.

>>333128738
Yeah, Gungeon has a pretty consistent pace. If you explore every floor and don't go to secret floors, it takes about 40+ minutes to beat the game on average.
>>
>>333129135
>3d stuff
wait fuck what
>>
>>333129119
>Man, to think, Mad God could've been so much more

You're telling me, this game made 2 years of my life bearable when i had pretty much nothing else and just a shitty laptop.

At least i can still go back and watch the shitty videos i made when i still enjoyed the game.
>>
>>333130104
It's made in Unity
Pixel perfect 3D doesn't really work in that engine
>>
>>333117970
>the polar star
noice
>>
>>333130232
I'm so sorry, Anon. Greener pastures will come. Sleep well.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.