[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the ideal way to do perma-death, if any?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: Death.jpg (102 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Death.jpg
102 KB, 640x480
what is the ideal way to do perma-death, if any?
>>
Adds an extra challenge to the game. I personally think its worthless unless its in easy to pick up and play style games like rouge lites or something.

In other games its just dumb cause it erases any progress at all. It doesnt feel good to lose everything at any point. Even if you only had the character for 10 minutes, it was just a waste of time.
>>
>>333111901
see, but the other extreme causes death to be trivial,
>>
>>333111638
Have you played Don't Starve?
>>
Really?

You die and then you delete the character, simple as that.
>>
>>333112789
No, i'll look into it thanks anon
>>
>>333112951
I'm talking in terms of design
>>
you die and you're dead, simple as that. its a nice optional feature for people who enjoy the pressure. the mechanic itself is fine, its all about designing the gameplay in such a way where it actually feels dangerous instead of just something that's annoying. the game should be challenging enough to make you git gud and make death actually make you feel depressed but also make you feel like you can do better on the next playthrough
>>
xcom and xcom 2 did it right
if you aren't a savescumming fag like me
>>
>>333113036
Death deletes the save file
>>
>>333111638
it depends on the game.
For example, perma death works really well with the binding of isaac because the games are short and you're going to lose all your progress if regardless of if you win or if you lose. But that wouldn't work well with something like x-com, where you need to put lots of hours and thought into it, as losing one mission and having the game go "lmao tough shit, have fun starting all over again" would be a kick in the nuts, so instead they just have your soldiers suffer from perma death, and that does work well.
>>
File: CKe2JR1UAAAZOOh.jpg (30 KB, 510x438) Image search: [Google]
CKe2JR1UAAAZOOh.jpg
30 KB, 510x438
>>333113607
yeah in squad combat it just works
>>
File: surely.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
surely.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>>333113739
>death formats your system drive
>>
I like how star citizen is gonna deal with it if they ever fucking release the game.

You get a few "lives" at first where if your guy dies you just wake up in a hospital with a fake limb or scars, and then after too many deaths your guy dies and all his stuff goes to a beneficiary character you make as sort of like a way to will your items and money and some of your rep to a new character

adds tension to gameplay but at the same time isn't outright cruel in it's punishment
>>
>>333114130
>>
>>333113607
>people talking about new Xcom as if they were the first
>>
>>333114193
but in a way that risks messing with the suspension of disbelief though maybe if the PC is near a city I could do that
>>
>>333114775
i didn't played the other ones so i don't know how squad perma-death works
>>
File: tumblr_n89n9vRnnY1tqri1zo1_1280.png (946 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n89n9vRnnY1tqri1zo1_1280.png
946 KB, 1280x720
doesn't get more hardcore
>>
Only for shorter games. It's great in roguelikes where a successful run only takes a couple hours at most.
>>
>>333115092
Why do the graphics get worse with the time?
>>
>>333115092
is the sims 4 playable now or is 3 still the better alternative?
>>
>>333115279
because EA is run by lobotomites
>>
>>333111638
All of your items drop and depending on how you died (explosion, kinetic force) some or all of your items are trashed/destroyed but what isn't can be picked up by the killer.

also stop trying to get free fucking labour. Make your own game with your own ideas fug you.
>>
>>333115354
3, hopefully they can get their shit together once they finish the console version.
>>
>>333111638
If it's a long ass game make it an optional mode

it's too much of a pain in the ass resetting when you're like, 40 hours into a game
>>
>>333115092
sims 1 and 4 are the sexiest
>>
VR headset with build in microwave oven
>>
>>333115251
also if you balance combat right where the PC has a chance to escape
>>
I am a casual-babby so I prefer the Rogue Legacy/FTL style where each individual character/ship is permadeath but you gradually unlock new things/get stronger depending on how well you do.
>>
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 126x90) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 126x90
OP here now that i think of it a hybrid system of sorts could work, if the player is near a city they have a certain amount of lives before perma-death, in the wilderness, the player is screwed unless in the company of a doctor companion,
>>
>>333115998
then you would either always have a doctor companion or the other companions would have pretty absurd abilities like avoid death or something like that
>>
>>333116304
or their ability to heal you could depend on the severity of your wounds relative to their skill
>>
>>333116659
and all companions would be able to heal you to some degree
>>
>>333115523
Will Wright left EA

And EA is known for screwing good games and studios

Sims era is over
>>
>>333116920
agreed..
>>
perma death is shit. just stop with this fucking gimmick already
>>
>>333118006
I'm not trying to be gimmicky I honestly think death is an underrated motivator in gaming
>>
>>333111638
hmm, maybe not being an incompetent programmer? the whole permadeath 'feature' was birthed out of being unable to implement a save game system.
>>
>>333118181
see above faggot
>>
>>333118137
in what games, single player or mmos? in mmos it's garbage and makes a really shitty community that eventually dies off pretty quickly. in single player games what's the point? just delete your save file
>>
>>333111638
The Flame in The Flood does it really well. In the story mode when you die and restart, whatever items you had stored with your dog he'll still have to kind of get you started with a good footing. They also have an endless mode, which is great once you beat it and are comfortable with the game.
>>
Roguelikes perfected this decades ago
>>
>>333111638
the roguelike way

you die, you're dead, a new character can find your dead character's stuff on the ground
>>
it can fuck right off in online games

>oops someone tripped on the cord at comcast
>there goes your level 999 character
>>
>>333116304

Doesn't help if the doctor dies, or if it's prohibitively expensive to find a doctor willing to trek through the dangerous wilderness with you.
>>
ark hardcore mode did it sort of well.
You level up your guy, tame dinos, and build shit.
If you die you lose your levels/dinos/buildings. But if your in a tribe (guild) and they re-invite you you can use the tribe dinos/buildings you spent your time on.
You lose your levels which makes you weaker and means you have to start your tech tree all over again so its a big deal if you die, it means you have to spend the time to re-level to get your tech tree back before you can make high level shit for the guild again.
Its a real pain to lose your tech tree because it makes your tribe weaker which can be critical if you are in a war with another tribe.
It only takes a weekend of constant playing doing activities to get back to a respectable level. and even level 1s can do most of the activities high levels can (apart from crafting) so its not so bad to die that you feel crushed and want to take a break from the game. Like that one time i took a dirty TP in d2 and lost my 85 amazon i had just xfered my good stuff to...
>>
>>333118181
was just considering for an option
>>
>>333118181
already have a save system in place
>>
>>333115521
sometime exposure to new ideas can assist in the creation of others
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.