[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GOTHIC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: tf46204_gothic-ii-logo.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
tf46204_gothic-ii-logo.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
Why didn't you fucks tell me how AWESOME this series is??
>>
>>333105794
because the majority of the series is now shit
>>
>>333105876
there are only 3 gothic games right?
>>
>>333106094
There are 4 titled Gothic. The fourth is called Arcania: Gothic 4. You could consider there to be more because Deep Silver wanted to rebrand to Risen. There are 3 Risens and only the first got favorable reviews, but personally, I though it was shit too and the reviews only gave it a higher than shit score because it was more accessible and streamlined than Gothic.
>>
But the majority of /v/ loves Gothic 1 & 2.
I hope you have played 1?
>>
>>333106603
ArcaniA is not called Gothic 4 anon.
It hasn't been for YEARS.
They lost the rights to it and were forced to rename to just ArcaniA, they can't use "Gothic" name anymore which reverted back to original devs (Piranha Bytes).
But PB was too busy making Risen 3 at the time to do anything with the Gothic license they got back and right now they're making a new IP instead that's a mix of fantasy and sci-fi (kinda like Might & Magic).
>>
>>333106701
Yes it was great. The progression from hobo with a stick to armored god feels so good
>>
>>333105794
Anyone who posts about Gothic 1/2 on /v/ posts to talk about how great it is, you just never saw
>>
>>333105794
I always shill Gothic in TES threads, not my fault you faggots can't fucking read.

Also daily reminder Gothic > TES.
>>
>>333106962
>making a new IP instead that's a mix of fantasy and sci-fi (kinda like Might & Magic).
w-w-w-whaaaaaat?
Might&Magix X fucked that part up so much I had hoped for cool new Wizardry/M&M style fantasy+sci-fi RPGs so long.
>>
>>333105794
desu the dx11 renderer kept crashing on me. i should try gothic 1 first though and use the stable old release tutorial on steam then maybe i'll appreciate it appropriately
>>
>>333107571
It's called Elex and we know almost nothing about it so far.
PB's recent history doesn't allow for high hopes anyway.
>>
>>333107571
I said same type of mix of Fantasy and Sci-Fi, not same type of gameplay though.
Gameplay style is remaining the game as Gothic/Risen, just the world it's going to be set in is going for a mix of Fantasy and Sci-Fi.
Google "Elix"
>>
>>333107892
Fuck i'm half asleep, Elex, not Elix.

>>333107881
>PB's recent history doesn't allow for high hopes anyway.
I haven't played Risen 3: The Post
Protip, it's thousand times better than Risen 2 and the only pirate shit is contained to one out of like 10 islands.
>>
>>333107995
I actually played Risen 3 twice.
It was an improvement from Risen 2, I give you that.
Hell, I kinda enjoyed both games, but it's just nothing like the former glory of PB.
>>
>>333108279
Ehhh I think Risen 3 was great outside being too easy and the pointless kraken sea battles. They should've only had one instead of 3.
>>
File: 2015-09-12_00002.jpg (573 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-12_00002.jpg
573 KB, 1680x1050
>>333108447
I can't really point my finger on what I dislike the most, but yeah, the difficulty is definitely part of it.
The point that you can basically kill every enemy from the start of the game really ruined most of the exploration, because you didn't have to fear anything. Magic especially was broken as fuck, so were companions.

I liked most locations, aesthetically speaking, but exploring it didn't feel rewarding. The game was really pretty actually.

Mendoza was god tier though.
>>
>>333105794
because we don't like you
>>
>>333109236
Mendoza is objectively best companion.
I liked him as the antagonist in Risen 1 as well.
Also like I said, it's the difficulty.
Exploration was classic PB quality aka great.
Animations were jerky but that's also par on course for PB.
Graphics were serviceable.
Story was ok.
All in all it's a solid game with one critical flaw of being too easy.
>>
>>333107308
You're right. It's funny how the things people praise Oblivion for (NPC schedules and good quests) were done a year before Morrowind even came out.
>>
>>333109924
And done thousand times better than Morrowind.
Remember Gothic has no loading screens barring the initial one and the big underground mine.
Morrowind has loading screens for EVERY house, every dungeon, everything.
Morrowind has piss poor NPC schedules compared to Gothic as well.
>>
>>333109924
lol ultima 7 had npc schedules 10 years before gothic
>>
>>333110279
NPCs never slept or left the room they're in in Morrowind. They had more detailed interiors but NPCs never really reacted to you and only served as exposition dumps or questgivers.

>>333110428
Gothic is Ultima IX if it was good.
>>
>>333110593
>NPCs never slept or left the room they're in in Morrowind. They had more detailed interiors but NPCs never really reacted to you and only served as exposition dumps or questgivers.

Why did you basically repeat what I already said?
>>
>>333110862
I'm saying they didn't even have schedules. The only character in the entire game with one was Fargoth as far as I know
>>
File: G2NotR-LH-DX11-005.jpg (799 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
G2NotR-LH-DX11-005.jpg
799 KB, 1920x1080
download this shit now
http://www.moddb.com/mods/lhiver-en-edition
>>
>>333105794
The first one was awesome for its time, except the controls were bad as fuck.

Then it was down the slope without brakes.
>>
File: Gothic2 2015-12-15 17-19-44-679.jpg (961 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gothic2 2015-12-15 17-19-44-679.jpg
961 KB, 1920x1080
>>333111058
I think the game looks fine just with the DX11 renderer. I dig the low poly aesthetic but that might just be my thousands of hours in Half Life mods.

>>333111136
The second game is great mate. It expands on everything from the first game.
>>
The only thing I don't like about Gothic games is no enemy respawns, I always feels like I'm going to run out of stuff to fight and random drops to get and all that, I don't know, it would be nice to just go beat up a monster without worrying about how I'm going to use that XP and stuff.

Also is there RNG, like can I kill a rat and not get gold, because that makes it worse.
>>
>>333111547
Monsters do respawn every time you progress into the next act.
>>
>>333111547
That's what I love about the game. I hate this idea that your game needs to be filled with trash mobs with combat all the time. When you genocide the entire wildlife it should stay dead.

>>333111624
They don't really respawn but they are replaced. So you'll see dragon snappers in the later chapters.
>>
>>333111273
That is beautiful screen there anon, all that mining colony vibe, so much memories there...
>>
>>333111916
It's the only screeny I have unfortunately and you can see text on the top left but it shows how important good textures are for a game. You can even see the little celtic triangles on the armor. Lucas if you're in this thread, go play Gothic you faggot.
>>
>>333112583
>>333111273
how do I get used to the combat in the game? in Gothic 2 I couldnt make it literally passed the first bandit encounter. the controls are just so foreign to me
>>
>>333113134
It takes a bit of getting used to but how I personally play is with my right hand on the arrow keys and left hand hovering around WASD and CTRL. I use A and D for strafing and the arrow keys for turning. In Gothic 2, backstepping counts as a block which is extremely useful in combat. Just learn to time your attacks for combos and focus on one weapon at a time in Gothic 2 with NotR. I would definitely recommend you play Gothic 1 first because it is a much easier game. NotR was designed for dedicated Gothic fans and early game is brutal. Also remember you can rotate the camera with your numpad keys and look behind while running with Numpad0 iirc.
>>
>>333113446
huh. so I could even play this on a laptop without a mouse? interesting.
>>
>>333113551
Yes I would recommend playing keyboard only to be honest. Maybe using the mouse to look down a ledge easier but the combat is designed for keyboard with your arrow keys affecting your attack direction.
>>
>>333106094
yes, only three games in series: first Gothic, second Gothic, and NoTR for G2.

There is also my guilty pleasure, a blunder called G3 and other games that aren't really gothic.
>>
>>333114326
G3 is amazing after the patches and with QP and CM
>>
>>333114897
>G3 is amazing
no
>>
>>333115105
>le pulling shit out of context and ignoring rest of da post
ebin
>>
>>333114897
I don't think any of those patches fixes two-button combat or terrible main quest/main storyline. In my book, this game is broken by concept - not because of bugs/enemy AI.
>>
>>333114897
whats amazing about it? im the kind of person who adores modded oblivion so id be willing to look over some hardcore flaws if it plays well/looks decent/has fun stories and comfy locations
>>
>>333115252
>two-button combat
Yeah because G1/G2 totally doesn't have two button combat right? Faggot.
>>
>>333115296
Giant world with fuckton of stuff to do, still great looking visuals even by modern standards (foliage actually better than in Witcher 3 for example), many factions to join, fuckton of quests to do.
Just get Gothic 3 with 1.75 patch and get latest Quest Pack and Content Mod on top of it.
>>
>>333115342
of course not, there were also side attack buttons, not to mention how infinitely more dynamic g1/2 fight was

>namecalling
>>
>>333114326
is there a way to play Gothic 2 without the expansion from the GOG release?
>>
>>333115342
It has at least 4 buttons desu
>>
>>333115505
Pirate original game, i'm sure it's somewhere on piratebay.

But I don't think it's a good idea anon, notr is ultimately great and really brings "Gothic" to g2. Besides, G2 parts in NoTR are basically untouched except balance.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.