[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old were you when you realized that Ultimecia is Rinoa in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 11
How old were you when you realized that Ultimecia is Rinoa in the future?
>>
>>333094112
>>
This would make Final fantasy 8 Story interesing and viable.
And awesome.
>>
This theory has been debunked by Square.
>>
>>333097060
I don't care, it makes more sense.
>>
>>333099362

>i dont care what the people that made it say
>because i say so

Fucking americans.
>>
>>333094112
But there are clearly other sorceresses that come between Rinoa and Ultimecia during the time compression sequence.
>>
>>333099467
Don't know if it changes much, but I'm an european
>>
>>333099745

Fucking europeans
>>
>different eye color
>Ult's skull is literally wider
>she doesn't even recognize Squall or give him the slightest of special treatment, merely calling him "the legendary SeeD" to acknowledge his skill.

shitty meme theory, OP
>>
>>333099467
>what is death of the author
>>
>>333100092
What about Griever?
>>
About 17, I think.

It's a shame it's objectively not the case, kind of like with Solaire, but it's cool they teased it in Dissidia, thereby admitting it would make a great majority of the game make more sense on the thematic level.
>>
>>333094112
I saw the hints, but I passed it off as a stupid rumor passed down in the playgrounds or something.
>>
>>333100467
This is the only link to them
>>
>>333100179
Stupid shit that dumbasses believe and encourages shit like fanfiction.
>>
>>333094112
>eye color changes
>same person
inb4 muh magic
>>
>>333100467
The translation for this game sucks. In the japanese version of the game Ultimecia says that she is drawing Griever straight from Squall's mind, she is taking the symbol that represents power to him (the Lion), giving it form and making him fight it.
>>
>>333099467

they're just jelly because they know they wouldn't be capable of writing it intentionally. if R did in fact = U, it would make 8 the best FF and be among the top tweests in vidya.

kinda like how Space Mutiny is the best science fiction movie ever made
>>
>>333099613
There can exist more than once sorceress at the same time.
>>
>>333100092
Using a GF causes memory loss.
>>
>>333099362
sounds like a republican.
>>
>>333101068
>they're just jelly because they know they wouldn't be capable of writing it intentionally

Japanese people and chinks in general suck at storylines. The slanted eyes probably don't give them enough peripheral vision for layered story-telling.

FF7 had a neat "Sephiroth din du nuffin" theory but Ultimania debunked that too.
>>
>>333100926
Does she say that in the last fight? Not like I don't believe you.
>>
>>333101465

how did sephy din du nuffin?
>>
>>333101530
>>333101530
Check it out: http://radiantbutterfly.tumblr.com/post/71485958945/ff8-ultimecia-dialogue-comparison
Theres alot of sites where people re-translated and compared parts of this game.
>>
>>333101648
As in Sephiroth is just a shell used by Jenova the entire game. You know, what you are led to believe until Sephiroth himself turns out to be the final boss.

the actual truth is sadly that he as a ghost in lifestream defeated her and usurped her power or some shit idk

now, the theory that explained FF7 before AC came out, that was all about how Cloud and Aerith are a brother and a sister and the entire game is Cloud, as a villian, collecting the Jenova cells from various enemies, manipulated into becoming her new vessel, THAT was some cool shit

and then we got emo gay boy
>>
>>333101465
And yet hollywood still feels the need to copy them whenever they make a movie slightly more complicated than "explosions".

Americans really are blindfolded by stars and stripes.
>>
>>333101878
First I want to say that I'm glad that you posted this for me to read and not just shitposted... but still I don't really see what this would really prove. Because why would Squall believe in this Griever? I remember him saying that a lion was a mythological being, but does this really mean it can become a GF? Or are the differences between monster and GF so ambiguous?
>>
>>333102242
That's not much better tbdesu
>>
>>333102242

not too much of a stretch

have you heard the one where all the games protagonists are dead?

WoL is killed by Garland
Firion dies in the attack at the start
Onion Knights die in the cave
Cecil dies when Myst blows up
Bartz dies in the meteor
Terra dies from Tritoch/Valigarmanda
Cloud dies outside Midgar, in game just before he met Tifa there and signed up for the bombing mission
Squall dies in his training mission with Seifer
Zidane dies in the Evil Forest
Tidus dies when Sin attacks
the player character in 11 dies because of an Orcish Brawler. probably
Vaan dies when he tries to sneak into the castle and gets caught
Lightning dies on the train
PC from FFXIV dies from the storm/beastman raid in the opening cutscene

they each die, but live out their desires, make peace with earthly things and then spiritual. its why FF games tend to start as run of the mill, then suddenly dragons, crystals, fire from hell, etc etc

at the end, the bad guy is dead and they slip into death, peaceful and ready to move on, having lived out their Final Fantasy
>>
>>333097060
You mean Square-Enix? Faggot that never even worked on the game saying whatever the fuck they want? Yeah, no. Only Sakaguchi and those involved are the ones who can say a thing about it, and they can't anymore because they're not part of the company, so we will never know.
>>
>>333102738
>That's not much better tbdesu

Not him, but I honestly think it does.

It gives JENOVA more relevance in the story and opens up the FF7 canon to other planets. I always wanted to know what other planets JENOVA consumed.

But since Sephiroth was the bigger threat, it shifted the focus to Sephiroth's emo problem instead of the much more intriguing galactic problem.
>>
>>333102680
I'm not the same anon but what I believe you're asking is how did Griever come to be? Ultimecia created Griever on the spot, based on what Squall believes to be the most powerful being. Griever is basically what Swuall imagines to be a symbol of extreme power and strength - which is why he has a Griever pendant - so Ultimecia just creates that as a real being in the form of GF.

I think what this proves in terms of the thread is that some anon said "What about Griever?" and we're trying to say that Rinoa!Ultimecia did not remember Griever from her time with Squall; she just looked into Squall's mind and created Griever
>>
>>333102242
>As in Sephiroth is just a shell used by Jenova the entire game. You know, what you are led to believe until Sephiroth himself turns out to be the final boss.
The original game debunks that theory well before the final boss, if you actually paid attention. Hojo said the clones were all being manipulated by Sephiroth and that "it was all Sephiroth's doing", Cloud confirms that he was being summoned by Sephiroth, and Jenova itself calls Sephiroth its master. Everything to do with Meteor and Holy is 100% Sephiroth, too. There's literally nothing in-game to suggest that Jenova was in charge, it's all headcanon and fan theories. The Ultimania just confirms what was said in the original game.
>>
>>333102680
I think Squall just admires lions as a symbol of power and valor, and as a image of what he wants to be like and Ultimecia recognizes that; so overcoming Griever represents Squalls growth as a character.
Now, as to why Ultimecia can take his fears and turn them into a monster, I have no idea. I dont think GFs and the nature of Sorceress powers are explained very well in this game. I was just pointing out that her summoning Griever isn't really good evidence for the "Rinoa is Ultimecia" thing.
>>
>>333103389
>I think what this proves in terms of the thread is that some anon said "What about Griever?" and we're trying to say that Rinoa!Ultimecia did not remember Griever from her time with Squall; she just looked into Squall's mind and created Griever
I'm this very anon and that's a really good explanation. It seems like a have to search for other bullshitty excuses to make more sense out of my favorite FF game.
>>
>>333102940
Thats like saying all the MGS protagonists were dead the whole time
>>
>>333103596
Please read my post, but thanks for your answer. >>333103596
>>
>>333103841
I'm too drunk for this. I meant this post >>333103661
>>
>>333103414
Yes, but we get to see Sephiroth be a very reasonable person in the flashback, slowly becoming a very emotionally unstable person.

But then everytime he appears in the game as a floating ghost, he just says complete nonsense, and everytime someone talks about Sephiroth, they mean the flying ghost.

The twist at the end of the first disc is also very specific on the fact that Sephiroth is very dead, bringing about the question of "well if Sephiroth is this corpse, then what the fuck are we up against here?" .

I wish Dissidia at least gave us more cackling madman Sephiroth.
>>
>>333094112

16 years old. I had a moment of clarity when the last boss had the name griever.

Blew my shit back in the day.
>>
>>333103919
>DUDE ALCOHOL LMAO
Leave this thread then.
>>
>>333094112
Honestly I can't bring myself to believe that Rinoa is Ultimecia because there's just too much conflicting evidence, but I do like how it explains Ultimecia's true motives.

FF8 is one of my favorite games of all time but I do agree that it does a pretty bad job at showing why Ultimecia is doing what she's doing aside from "Time will compress because I hate you fucking SeeDs and everyone else on this godforsaken world".

So the theory is nice because it fills a plot hole but just dat dere lack of evidence, dood.
>>
>>
>>333094112

29, just now.

I've never bothered to play 8.
>>
>>333094112
>Ultimecia is Rinoa
It's not because Rinoa was never at the orphanage. Utimecia is Quistis.

In point of fact, the eyes alone give away the theory that Rinoa = Utimecia. Just look at Quistis and Utimecia's face side by side and you will see for yourself.
>>
>>333104762
It's a decent game aside from the fact that enemies level with you. I will never understand this game design.
>>
>>333104982
Shut the fuck up, everybody knows Ultimecia is Selphie.
>>
>>333105068

I'll probably give it a shot soon. I've been going back playing games I've missed and lost of PS1 RPGs are on the list. I just need to finish up 9, then it will probably be between FF8 or Xenogears.
>>
>>333104164
To me, that just suggests that Sephiroth has become something far beyond his human roots (which is something the devs actually wanted to portray, at least in AC). One of the things I like the most about Sephiroth as a villain is that he's basically what happens when you take an eldritch, primal force of evil and destruction like Jenova (or any given Lovecraft knock-off) but give it human form and cruelty. An ancient unfathomable abomination is scary enough, but an unfathomable evil that's actively sadistic and intimately tied to the player character is much more terrifying if you ask me.
>>
>>333103147
Fuck off, your shitty theory is just as garbage as "Zelda changes her gender when she transforms into Sheik"
>>
>>333102940
>They were dead the whole time!
I fucking hate this
There isn't a single trope that I hate more than the dead/coma "theory"

It's literally "this crazy shit can be explained because they were hallucinating or in purgatory after X moment :^)"
It's the laziest, most downright despicable excuse for theorycrafting in the history of media analysis.
>>
>>333105181
Everyone knows your mom is a whore.
>>
File: 1277974684163.jpg (33 KB, 544x517) Image search: [Google]
1277974684163.jpg
33 KB, 544x517
I always wondered why Squeenix didn't just play along, if it really shouldn't have been their original intention or at least leave it uncommented, like they usually do (as they apparently even kind of denied it this time).

Would've made for a neat story and a unique yet subtle twist. Without R=U though, the story sadly hasn't a whole lot going for it and might not even make much sense in the first place. But whatever, I guess.
>>
sorry m8 it got debunked by Square

agni's philosophy witch is Ultimecia
>>
>>333105251
>Sephiroth has become something far beyond his human roots

He was implanted with DNA from Jenova, so yeah.
>>
>>333105253
What I said applies to anything in and outside the industry, why would someone who never worked on something have a saying in the matter. Stop deluding yourself thinking I'm only talking about the theory, I could give donkey shit about it.
>>
>>333105312
Zidane really did die to Kuja though
He just whooped Death's ass and came back
>>
>>333105349
Rinoa was never at the orphanage. That by itself is debunking this shitty theory.
>>
>>333094112
When it was confirmed she isn't.
>>
>>333105601
Actually, Kuja used his magic to teleport the party out of the afterlife because he realized that he was being a petty bitch. Beating Necron was just to ensure that the universe was still there when they got back.
>>
>>333105068
It's all about junction. You're supposed to draw tons of magic, and attach the most OP shit you have to your attack.
>>
>>333105639
It's been a while since I've played the game the last time. So elaborate, why does it matter?
>>
>>333105696
By someone who never worked on the story or even the game for that matter.
>>
>>333105796
>draw
More like refine from items you get from playing cards. The most efficient way to max your stats involves barely any actual combat.
>>
>>333105810
>why does it matter?
It matters a lot. And if you think i'll spoonfeed your casual cuntlicking ass I will not. Look it up.
>>
>>333105796
Or just play the card game and get OP magic early on thanks to said cards.
It's not just a chillins card game now.
>>
>>333105796
Never understood this, why would you try to min/max in a game where enemies level with you. Just draw like 10 and be done with it, drawing 99 is retarded and wastes a shiton of time. I think the only worthwhile magic to do this with is Haste and that's about it.
>>
>>333106114
If you abuse the Junction system, you can max out your stats while keeping your levels (and the enemy levels as a result) minimal, ensuring maximum face-rolling for the rest of the game.
>>
>>333105943
I could understand if they said: "probably" but they flatout said it wasn't and you can tell by the hair, eyes and lips it aint, you fucking tinfoil.
>>
Why is FFVIII's story so shit?

>in the future, it is kniwn that Ultimecia is thwarted by SeeD while trying to achieve Time Compression
>in order to change her fate, Ultimecia seeks to achieve Time Compression

Like, did nobody... did no one raise an eyebrow there?
>>
File: Laguna Beach.png (404 KB, 570x374) Image search: [Google]
Laguna Beach.png
404 KB, 570x374
>>333106276

don't question the Laguna
>>
>>333106114
It is very very possible to beat FF8 at a low level and with godlike stats. And because the enemy themselves will be at a low level..
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 259x195
>>333105312
Nah m8, the worst plot trope is the multiple universe garbage . It was tolerable (really non existent ) in dark souls 1 save for the time is convaluded shit , but in dark souls 2 yui took it into fucking overdrive .

Why the fuck does anything I do in this universe matter if I can go back in time or forward in time to change some event , or if the same shit continues to happen over and over again. The character have literally no agency or free will. Are they really characters then ? Talk about shitty writing .
>>
>>333106363
This made my day.
>>
>>333106276
What the fuck are you talking about? Ultimecia is another person entirely. She just possesses sorceresses from the past so she can do stuff but also junk.
>>
So what the fuck would compressing all of time even do?
>>
>>333106629

everything that ever happened or will happen would happen at the same time
>>
>>333106712
Yeah but so what?
>>
>>333106629
Make time irrelevant, so basically she wont ever grow old or die and all that shit. She basically wants to rule over all time and dimensions.
>>
File: youregoingtolikeme.png (88 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
youregoingtolikeme.png
88 KB, 320x256
she may or may not be Ulti, but she is a sorceress from the start
>>
>>333106629
Somehow it would make Ultimecia extremely powerful and also kill the universe

I'm not sure what she intended to accomplish.
>>
>>333105639
No it doesn't. You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>333106629

I don't get it either. From the way the cities were inaccessible, it seemed more like time was frozen
>>
>>333106629
>hes never seen the movie Interstellar.
>>
>>333106217
>>333106372
I see, that should be fun for me to try next time I play the game. Just another reason why I hate that type of gameplay
>>
>>333106430
>>Why the fuck does anything I do in this universe matter if I can go back in time or forward in time to change some event , or if the same shit continues to happen over and over again. The character have literally no agency or free will
That's the point
>>
File: 15881154.jpg (207 KB, 600x1299) Image search: [Google]
15881154.jpg
207 KB, 600x1299
>>333106629
Beats me. I just thought she wanted to kill everyone in existence thoughtout all of time itself.
>>
>>333106831
Nah its you who doesnt know what hes talking about. you probably never even played VIII. they keep showing flashbacks to the orphanage because it matters to the shitty plot.
>>
File: B_oZlCnUIAASzNE.jpg large.jpg (25 KB, 193x480) Image search: [Google]
B_oZlCnUIAASzNE.jpg large.jpg
25 KB, 193x480
>>333106827
>>
>>333105639
If you try to make a point, you need to prove it. I'm not wasting my time looking up things that someone just pulls out of his ass.
>>
>>333094112
>>
>>333107075
The flashbacks having nothing to do with what you're saying.
>>
File: Bob_Page_merge.jpg (69 KB, 582x652) Image search: [Google]
Bob_Page_merge.jpg
69 KB, 582x652
While I never fully understood what this time compression was all about, I assumed Ultimecia is like Bob Page from Deus Ex, as both pretty much want to become gods.

Page's access and control of the centralized internet is pretty much like Ultimecia's grasp of past, present and future, and both would be able to create and manipulate information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h20YijWu5Og

Anybody feel free to correct me
>>
>>333107724
The game states over and over again that you have to have a long lasting personal relationship with someone to possess them. Basically you have to know them well enough. Quistis is Utimecia because she was raised by Edia.
>>
>>333108093

completely wrong
>>
>>333108093

I'm not even those anons but what does have anything to do with Rinoa = U ?

Rinoa is U in a sense that she went crazy because of the lost of Squall and tried to compress time until she gets back with him again.

Anyhow, VIII is convoluted as fuck so anything "can" work.
>>
>>333106629
It would turn her into god.
>>
>>333108343
Ultmecia possessed Squall and Squall possessed Rinoa.
>>
>>333108093
So, how could Rinoa be possessed in the space station then?
>>
>>333108537
And I possessed your mom last night.
>>
>>333108093
But Ultimecia is from the far-flung future, so her interpersonal relationships could be anything

If she's even from a part of the future where the cast of VIII is still alive
>>
>>333108556
I time traveled into the future via a vagina and posted your answer >>333108537
before you could even post your question.
>>
File: 1452571202636.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1452571202636.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>333108735

WAT
>>
>>333108843
>2016
>cant even compress time
>>
>>333105349
They needed a good vs evil thing going on. It seemed like R=U was their original intention.
>>
>>333109361

you mean the white feather and black feather motif in the opening cinematic? i don't see how you'd draw that conclusion
>>
>>333109361
The writers originally intended for Quistis to be the romance, which is why she said all that shit to you during that event at the Garden. The one about her not having a boyfriend and all that shit.
>>
did the russian accent not give it away that ultimecia is none of them
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.