[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/ I want to start a feels thread. Share with me your most nostalgic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
/v/ I want to start a feels thread. Share with me your most nostalgic feels when it comes to videogames. When I say nostalgic, I mean it can be any time period where you most enjoyed vidya. 1990's,2000's,2010's it doesnt matter. Just post please. I really am down right now and I want to read about the good times,

>2008
>Xbox live in its prime
>Halo 3 infection all night

Shit was so good.
>>
>>333068558
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCGUriLNrQ
>playing this on my cousin's computer in the early 00s until I had to come home from them
Good times
>>
>middle school
>got severally bullied, beaten up, made to eat dog shit, got burned in my eye (still have scar)
>only friends I ever had was videogames, playing stuff like Final Fantasy X, X-2 and Ape Escape 3, also pokemon
>come highschool, completly different atmosphere
>afraid of people, never made any friends
>last year of highschool made one friend, he got me to open up
>fall in love with him, he's leaving for the army this summer
>>
>>333069114
That beat is amazing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Tam9lv1KQ
Wonder how many people this'll effect
>>
This was my shit as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_mLj9VKS7A
>>
Middle school for me was oot banjo kazooie Goldeneye crash bandicoot Mario 64 Pokemon and I loved that era
>>
>2009
>Torrent Unreal Tournament 2004
>Multiplayer servers galore
>Get recked multiple times over and over

I only downloaded it cause Epic made Unreal Tournament 3 and the footage looked like Gears of War 2 at the time. I was hyped as fuck
>>
>>333068558
Dumb frogposter
>>
>>333069797
Gaaaay
>>
>>333068558
>2010
>Summer of just playing MW2 with friends
>Killed the entire enemy team with a tac knife in SnD on Favela

One of my few happy memories.

Also
>Make friend over Halo 3
>Have friend who I went to high school with
>Reach comes round
>Halo friend randomly joins my game with IRL friend and they make a base together
>>
>>333073737
Halo Reach was the beginning of the downfall of Halo. While still being fun, most of my friends moved onto COD and left it in the dust.
>>
>>333074289
I'll agree with that. Reach was essentially its swansong I feel, having only played of the original trilogy, 1 (Anniversary Edition since I had a PS2) and 3. It still was quite fun though, except for all those Infected map glitches that everyone took to.
>>
>1996
Playing duke 3d with my dad finally upon release after waiting for the demo, thinking the octabrain noises were scary and hiding under the chair while he killed them for me

>also 1996
Sister's friend bringing rise of the triad and c&c red alert over on floppy discs (dos versions of course). I was a big fan of c&c, and red alert was so cool to me at the time.

Getting starcraft 1 on release in 1998 and showing all my friends, pretending to be a siege tank on the playground in 3rd grade (we did this with Mechwarrior 2 mechs also, and we were SUPER HYPE for Mechwarrior 3 in 1999)

Getting unreal 1 in 1998, playing with my friend taking turns single player (we did this with the incredible machine and Rollercoaster tycoon and all kinds of things)

>crazy scripted escape sequence at the start that felt better than half-life to me at the time
>First steps on the planet after the space ship carrying you crashes, I look up and see birds, there are plants, water, huge open areas
>first time I felt that 3d in at sky game was really believable (and I had played dark reign 2, quake, mechwarrior, battle zone '98, etc), and my mind was blown away

Buying unreal tournament and total annihilation in a 2-pack for $10 in like, 2000 (blue box UT, before red box GOTY Edition)

>KIDS AT SCHOOL ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT CYBER DEMON FROM DOOM VS LINK FROM ZELDA WITH LIGHT ARROWS

Playing online for the first time... countless hours lost on Diablo 2, UT, starcraft...and that's with dial up.

2002, saved up to buy a gamecube to play metroid prime on release.
>chills when I first step on Tallon overworld and realize it's the brinstsr theme from the NES Metroid that my uncle showed me and I'd play at grandma's house sometimes (he left it there when he moved out)
>no loading screens on a disc title blew my mind (I know the trick now but I was 12)
>water droplets on my visor at I looked into the sky
>heat distortion / smoke coming from my power beam barrel after shooting
>Kreygasm
Text limit
>>
File: 1432503515486.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1432503515486.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>you will never play wacky custom games on Halo Reach with all your friends ever again
>>
>1999
>buy a copy of pc gamer
>check the demo cd included
>some new mod called counter strike for half life
>15000 gameplay hours later i stop playing
>>
File: Sad Seal.jpg (27 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
Sad Seal.jpg
27 KB, 500x335
>>333075708
>You will never be the Last Man Standing in a NASCAR Infected game again
>You will never survive a death gauntlet as your friends perish and laugh at their failure again
>You will never speak to those friends again because they've all moved on with their lives and you're still doing the same thing you were doing five years ago
>>
>>333069797
No homos allowed.

Go back to the closet.
>>
>>333068558
trolling source mods with the woman I love
now she's gone.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkR7zClEkAo
>>
File: wario.jpg (88 KB, 640x647) Image search: [Google]
wario.jpg
88 KB, 640x647
>>333068558
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1X9blkjFdo
>https://youtu.be/UPs1ei4oDSE?t=1494
the original gameboy was my first console, these tracks are forever in my brain, i especially miss that fat bastard wario
>>
/v/ why dont new games bring me excitement anymore? Why are new games nowadays so underwhelming?
>>
>early 2000s
>friends and i had different consoles that we'd bring to each other's places during the weekend so we can play exclusives together
>play smash, halo and mgs together with unreal tournament or that 4-player LOTR hack & slash in between

eventually grew apart due to most of us moving onto PCs
>>
>>333077216
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market
>>
>>333077342
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market
pretty much. greed ruins everything
>>
>>333075330

Part 2:

>show metroid prime to everyone I know
>graphics don't make a game but it looked better than anything at the time, even Halo
>said it's probably the first time at console game looked better than the average PC game but I was still master race PC gamer

>playing plutonia / tnt doom 2 mods for the first time because at friend bought final doom which has them included
>beating go2it for the first time, I should find you a video, but look up that map, it felt impossible at the time
>1997 playing metal gear solid at friends hosuse, feeling vibrations on controller from helicopter landings

>halo coming out and everyone bitching about how you can only carry 2 guns

>actually played PC release of halo CE in 2003
> it was fun but slow and boring to me since I had played lots of other shooters
>felt bad for halo fans, enlightened the ones I could with older faster games like rise of the triad
>first time playing crazy taxi on dreamcast
>almost setting world record for arcade run with 45 minutes, running out of fares on the map to pick up, top score is still like 3rd all time according to twin galaxies
>realize I'll never accomplish anything in my life
>I did the same thing with area 6 hard mode in stardom 64
>and with SSX Tricky, merquery city meltdown.
>top 10 record runs but nobody cared lol
>ut 2k4 comes out
>lose 2000 hours to it online, git gud, exploit, pugs on irc, etc.

>bought quake 3 arena on my dreamcast LOLLL big mistake
>friend gives me pc version
>learn to strafe jump
>git gud
>later on, like 2010, I become asponsored QLplayer, lose WCG qualifiers in quarter finals to vo0
>still won won a Logitech mx518 mouse
>feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
File: is_it_done_yuri.jpg (16 KB, 630x457) Image search: [Google]
is_it_done_yuri.jpg
16 KB, 630x457
>>333068558
The industry peaked in 2000. I'm not saying the best games came out then, but I am saying the pace*quality of game started to go down around that time.

For the five years from about 1996-2000 the entire game industry was like a flaming hog running around a fireworks factory. No matter your tastes, literally every month another title would arrive to blow you away. Better graphics, better gameplay, more content, more innovation. It was like humanity had suddenly discovered sugar and everyone was inventing candy, but for games.

Didn't matter if you had a PC or console Actually before 98SE rolled around, PC gaming was a bit of a pain then. Playing vidya was like having concentrated rainbows canned into tank and injected right into your eyes with big plastic goggles. Fucking unbelievable era. Literally the only thing holding you back was your wallet.

It sounds stupid since there was nothing there at the time, but the internet was fairly good back then as well. Everyone was just more, I don't know, enthused about it all. Plus nearly everyone played CS and no-one had to pay for anything. Except the telephone bill.

We all just assumed thing would get better forever, or at least not get worse. Happier times.
>>
>>333068558
Exploring TES games for the first time in 2003 and 2006 going "WOW WTF" every 5 minutes.

Getting super hooked as the story developed in Warcraft 3.

Fighting the Nazis in COD2 like a Russian.

Good times
>>
>>333077548

>back in time again
>mid-late 2000's gf drags me into wow
>play wow for 5 years on and off with her until we break up
>had highest rated 2v2 team on my server with a kid I met on there
>that dude is still one of my friends I talk to online and we play other games sometimes

>find out about Bloodline Champions
>it's basically wow arena with no rng or grinding, with 6 second cool downs instead of 2 minute
>perfect game.jpg
>play for many hours, like 27 days real time (nowhere close to my 300 days /played on my warrior though)
>I love it, then they change it, ruin it, with patch 2.0, which added league of legends runes/skill trees/etc which fucjed up balance

>forgot to mention I played league before shen was out, and quit around when xin Zhao was released for a variety of reasons

>anyway, I play blc anyway, love it, until it dies

>obsessed with tf2 before hats, a friend gave me it at my graduation party

Nvm I'm typing this on a phone and it takes forever and I'm self conscious now

Back in time, I missed the battlefield 1942 release which was awesome, stronghold crusader which my best friend and i played a LOT of, other shit... etc
>>
>>333076152
Wanna talk about it anon
>>
>tfw I'll never play MW2 search and destroy with all my friends fighting for a spot on the team again

Hopefully they'll make it backwards compatible
>>
>>333068558

consoles were always shit
>>
I want to go back to playing n64 with my brother.
I want to go back to playing with my ex.
>>
File: abstract feel.jpg (56 KB, 636x640) Image search: [Google]
abstract feel.jpg
56 KB, 636x640
Honestly surprised no one posted
https://youtu.be/t_c2RLiCHSk yet. Still gives me some pretty hard feels flipping through the covers and promo art upstairs in my grandparent's old house on Sunday afternoons. Good times.
>>
>>333078351
No one cares you fucking faggot bitch. What do you get out of saying stupid shit like that? Just play the god damn video games and fucking discuss them. Is your life that mych better for posting stupid shit?
>>
>>333077674
Yeah all of this, I'd say 2004 was the last truly great year of videogames, it was right before the 7th gen consoles arrived and the industry basically went to shit after that.
>>
>I will never play Tak and the Power of juju with my sister ever again

When we first got the chicken suit it was the best day of our lives. Rest in peace Megan. Miss you sis.
>>
My family had a sega mega drive, we loved Sonic the hedgehog. We didn't really understand the lock on thingy on the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge. Then 7 year old me puts the Sonic 2 game on top of S&K, and boots it. I was fucking amazed at the Sonic 2 start screen with Knuckles in it.

>you will never experience this rush again

I'm now a 21 year old NEET.
>>
File: 1428440867980.png (750 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1428440867980.png
750 KB, 640x640
>>333068558
Middle school
>ride bikes to local mom and pop movie and game rental store
>grab vidya and a movie, obviously candy for a snack
>play vidya and watch TV all Friday night
>mfw that feeling it's time to go home Saturday afternoon

College
>had three roommates, all chill dudes
>shoot the shit and drink, eat shitty food while playing vidya
>Beers and Gears (of War), among whatever other game we were jamming on
>I played a shit ton of single player games, and my roommates would chill with me and shoot the shit
>mfw all but one has completely bombed out of vidya
>>
>>333068558
>Took my little brother to a video game exhibition we saw on the news which he wanted to go to
>They had a massive line of consoles from the TV Master Mark IV with Pong to current gen consoles
>Tried nearly everything there
>Played some F-Zero GX and Melee on the Gamecube
>Arcade machine with Street Fighter II
>Played the Daiko drum rythm game
>Timesplitters 2
>Mario Kart 64 on 150cc
>Halo multiplayer with 14 other people
>Got to try Oculus Rift for a bit

The list goes on. It was a blast.

I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with video games.
>>
>>333079737
Holy fuck I miss renting vidya. I remember sleeping over at my buds house and we would rent Halo 2 and Mlb slugfest 2004 everytime. We mustve rented these games atleast 10 times from blockbuster. Such simple times.
>>
>>333077916
Maybe. just saying it that way has made me feel better like I'm actually getting over her after all these years. It was a weird complicated relationship that ending with me exploding it because I didn't know what to do with it, especially at the young age I was.
Basically, I was a master of bizarre servers and we messed with people as well as hijacking some servers when the admins had some questionable settings and plugins.
>>
>>333078078
>tfw people on your friends list have jobs
>>
>>333080050
>Go to the first E3 in 95
>Absolute madness
>People from all around the world trying the new vidya
>Play all the new games with my wife (gf at the time)
>Filled with pure joy and happiness

Videogames just dont have the appeal like they used to. While still fun, alot of games nowadays just dont hold WOW factor anymore. I blame yearly releases.
>>
>>333082357
>While still fun, alot of games nowadays just dont hold WOW factor anymore. I blame yearly releases.
This. I barely even finish games nowadays.
>>
>>333068558
>7th Grade
>Exams week
>Don't study for exams, take the week to play through Metroid Prime again
>Still did good on exams and beat Metroid Prime
Good times
>>
I think, the majority at least, of people on here started off with the SNES / Genesis, and have followed the evolution of games up until now as they grew up. Now, things look better than ever, but the leaps dont seem as big, and with gaming becoming everyday rather than a more niche thing, perhaps we're all in a doldrums.

I still follow the big series, GTA, Resident Evil etc, but I find myself buying les and less new IP's etc nowadays. I think the lack of Demos has had a solid impact too.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.