[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do prefer world maps in games to have portals/hotspots that you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: Lordran_large.0[1].png (1 MB, 1280x3840) Image search: [Google]
Lordran_large.0[1].png
1 MB, 1280x3840
Do prefer world maps in games to have portals/hotspots that you can teleport between or do you prefer it when all zones in the world are interconnected somehow and you have to physically travel to get from one point to another?
>>
Depends on the genre of game.
>>
>>333052571
>tfw you like this art but the artist messed up the placement of new londo ruins
>>
>>333052571
Was Lordran a normal place where people lived happily at one point?
>>
>>333052571
I would like a journey across the world to actually be dangerous and exciting.

>dat Qeynos to Freeport run
>>
>>333052571
Both. I like the feeling of everything existing in the same physical plane, but I also like being able to warp to save time. Basically how Castlevania does it.

why does the phrase 'Fast-travel' sound cancerous to me
>>
>>333054298
>why does the phrase 'Fast-travel' sound cancerous to me

because you have autism.
>>
>>333052571
>new londo under blight town and izalith
delete this
>>
>>333052571

props to the guy who made this

mad talent senpai
>>
File: IMpossible.png (239 KB, 700x739) Image search: [Google]
IMpossible.png
239 KB, 700x739
>>
File: 1449370178470.jpg (40 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1449370178470.jpg
40 KB, 300x400
"Portals" are a cheap mechanic. I'd rather see something else done. Or dont make the game so uninteresting that you need portals.
>>
>>333052571

If your game is massive in scope and there's no other way than walking to travel around, hotspots/paid fast travel should be mandatory. Interconnections are useful only when your maps are small enough (for example in The Long Dark) or if there are ways to travel around faster, like mounts or vehicles.
>>
>>
File: nPhu9Dh.jpg (89 KB, 1280x694) Image search: [Google]
nPhu9Dh.jpg
89 KB, 1280x694
>>
>>333052571
As long as you have to traverse through the area to do it im okay with it. Although as far as dark souls is considered backtracking pre lord vessel gets annoying. I always save up a bunch of upgrades before i ever go to the blacksmith. Ironically the game becomes boring shit after the point of getting the lord vessel.
>>
File: S3WDjUk.png (106 KB, 752x1000) Image search: [Google]
S3WDjUk.png
106 KB, 752x1000
>>
>>333052571
Obviously the interconnectedness is ideal, but I accept the fact that most game designers don't have the talent to make every game like that, and some games (like large open world games) dont lend themselves easily to that.
>>
>>333052571
It depends.
Is it going to be a type of game with few checkpoints that requires you to slog back through a pile of respawning bullshit every time you die?
Is it going to involve backtracking across said huge world?
How big is the world?
Etc.
I like no fast travel in Skyrim, since I can save regularly anyway and not lose a ton of progress to bullshit like a random Troll spawning while I'm fighting two Dragons.
That said, I love fast travel in Fallout 4 cause it's a boring, shitty wasteland with occasionally a deathclaw spawn in the middle of nowhere if you go by foot and basically nothing else.
Plus, you become a god in FO4, to the point nothing even poses a threat late-game.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.