[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Super Shady Things in Oculus Rift's Terms of Service
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: orevolutiondesign.jpg (97 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
orevolutiondesign.jpg
97 KB, 970x546
>http://gizmodo.com/there-are-some-super-shady-things-in-oculus-rifts-terms-1768678169

I was going to buy an Oculus Rift but now I don't know anymore.

What should I do?
>>
>>333041657

>buh its just a monitor for your face people
>>
>the first generation of VR is shit
>the facebook owned one wants to sell your info and steal content
And why is this a surprise?
>>
>>333041657
>Gawker Media blog
Fuck you.
>>
>>333041657
Oculus (and basically Facebook) owns creative content

If you create something with the Rift, the Terms of Service say that you surrender all rights to that work and that Oculus can use it whenever it wants, for whatever purposes:

By submitting User Content through the Services, you grant Oculus a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual (i.e. lasting forever), non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free and fully sublicensable (i.e. we can grant this right to others) right to use, copy, display, store, adapt, publicly perform and distribute such User Content in connection with the Services. You irrevocably consent to any and all acts or omissions by us or persons authorized by us that may infringe any moral right (or analogous right) in your User Content.

Basically, if you create something using the device, Oculus can’t own it, but the company can use it—and it doesn’t have to pay you for for use. Oculus can use it even if you don’t agree with its use.
>>
Why would you buy the rift over the vive?

Isn't it the same thing but without the area tracking?
>>
>>333043105
Why would you buy the first iteration of VR at all?
>>
>draw a picture while wearing Oculus rift
>Facebook steals this picture from you
Ahaha! Goodbye oculus cuck!
My freedom is worthy of additional 200USD for Vive.
>>
You didn't care when signing up for Google products, that all have the same "google give itself the right to read the content created with their tools, and own the content hosted on their system" term of use.
>>
>>333043039

thank you pajeet

$0.10 has been deposited into your account.
>>
>>333043415

Because I didnt, and I dont use anything google for anything even slightly important.
>>
Wait for the second generation Vive.
>>
>>333043180
>local restaurant starts selling this crazy new burger
>this burger completely changes what it means to be a hamburger
>it could change the fast food industry forever
>nobody buys it because they don't want "experimental first batch burgers"
>restaurant stops selling them
>>
>>333043039
Just like google and their own programs. You will rage for a day or two but since you can't not have a facebook you will just say it's ok because you didn't intend to create anything anyway.
>>
>>333043627
>sit tight and let retards buy them because one sale isn't going to affect anything
>>
>>333043567
what's a good free email service?
>>
>>333043567
>for anything even slightly important.
So you still use it.
>>
>>333043680

>VR - completely new and easily a content creation device
>facebook lol
>google clones of microsoft tools
>>
>>333043627
>muh food analogy
>>
>>333043758

So?
new moot is datamining this site right now and you are still here too

its not important for what I use it for
>>
>>333043848
>data mining a sewer system
>Collating the internets waifus
The fuck mate, pick one and only one (pls pick the bottom one)
>>
>>333043039
That doesn't make any goddamn sense, the Rift isn't a content creation tool it's a device that has content created for it to display.

That's like saying monitor makers have rights to anything made to be displayed on their screens. It just doesn't hold up.
>>
You probably should have expected this as soon as it was announced Facebook was buying Oculus, anyone who didn't see this coming is lying or an idiot.

Don't forget about the admin-level process the Oculus software creates as soon as you install it which is permanently active and constantly talks to a Facebook mothership for "software updates".
>>
>>333043848
I't's pronounced either gookmoot or hiroshimoot
>>
>>333044102
>you make a mod or a piece of 3D art
>you upload it to the Oculus Store for everyone to see and download
>Oculus has the right to do whatever they want with that piece of content because you agreed to this contract, even without or against your wishes

It's not all that difficult to understand, it's just really really scummy.
Analogizing the Rift to a simple monitor doesn't work when there's an exclusive content platform involved.

For anyone getting a Rift too, make sure you block the Oculus process in your firewall and check the box in Oculus Home that actually allows you to use software from outside the Oculus Store.
If you create something for the Rift upload it to Steam and don't bother with the Oculus Store.
>>
>>333041657

Vive is better but a lot more expensive.
>>
File: 8FxEa.gif (1014 KB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
8FxEa.gif
1014 KB, 290x189
>software hits servers to check for updates.
OH SHIT PRIVACY REEEEEE
>>
File: 1310497836236.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1310497836236.png
386 KB, 667x670
You should read literally any TOS.

If you use Steam or Windows, none of this should be surprising or concerning to you.

Flavor of the month outrage culture is lame.
>>
>>333043627
>burger music intensifies
>>
>>333044823
So if you don't use Steam or Google you shouldn't use Oculus either.

Seems fair. Was expecting that anyway.
>>
File: 1312040407271.jpg (6 KB, 170x213) Image search: [Google]
1312040407271.jpg
6 KB, 170x213
>>333044998
Pretty much.

Oculus doesn't actually do anything yet, it's just in the TOS that they could collect data if they wanted.

At the moment, all the service does is check if there are software updates every 30 seconds or so.
>>
>>333044823
Except the Steam and Windows agreements don't give Valve and Microsoft blanket permission to use anything you create on those platforms?

Collecting user data is indeed nothing new, every company and website out there probably knows everything about you anyway unless you have literally always browsed with every tin-foil-hat addon out there.
>>
>>333044703
Ah so it's strictly for content you submit to their platform, not content in general. Thanks.

That said, why the fuck would anyone even use that platform if they lose all usage rights when doing so? I can see this just leading to the rise of other markets and sites being popular over the official Oculus Store.
>>
File: 127095609349.jpg (21 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
127095609349.jpg
21 KB, 450x299
>>333045080
They literally fucking do.

Valve reserves rights to do literally anything with anything you upload to steam workshop.

They even sell said things and take a cut.
>>
>>333045064
Doesn't the service also upload stuff though?
I'm sure I've seen a traffic analysis and it definitely uploads something, probably just system specs but you can't be too careful.
>>
Oh shit guys, I regularly search loli on Gelbooru and I have a really high paying job. I also sign into Facebook with an account tied to my REAL NAME. How fucked up am I?
>>
>>333045337
loli isnt illegal unless you live in commie places.
>>
>>333041657
>>What should I do?
buy a vive
>>
>>333045337
Fortunately for everyone, literally nobody cares about the morals or legality of what you do, they just care for now about how that information can be used to sell shit to you.

That said though, if an investigation were to come about for some other reason, that data is pretty readily available if someone were to ask for it.
>>
>>333043627
>this burger completely changes what it means to be a hamburger
No, not at all.
>>
>>333045064
>Oculus doesn't actually do anything yet, it's just in the TOS that they could collect data if they wanted.

>Ocutards being this delusional since 2012

http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/oculus-rift-facebook-privacy/
>>
>>333044621
he's jackie 4chan
>>
>>333045186
Because nobody reads the (any) terms of service.
>>
>>333045256
>They literally fucking do.
Not to the same extent.

>They even sell said things and take a cut.
You get the majority of the money for it. And you can pull it from the steam store if you want to.

What the Facerift TOS says is that if you make "minecraft 4rift" and it becomes a smash hit. They can then delete your version of it and sell their own, and start to sell merchandise and adopt it into a movie. And you'll not earn a single dollar from any of that, and have no chance in court either.

Facebook essentially reserves their rights to completely fuck you over and steal your content, in any way they please. You spend your life savings on making a rift-exclusive game, hoping facebook will help you advertise and carry it to success. They can then decide that the game is great, but it would be even greater to provide it as a completely free game to anyone who owns a rift. They can do it. And they can also release the sequel to the game without your involvement.
>>
File: SteamVR.jpg (34 KB, 660x330) Image search: [Google]
SteamVR.jpg
34 KB, 660x330
>>333041657

Sell it on Kijiji/Ebay/Craigslist while you still can. Nobody is going to buy the Facebook Rift once the Vive comes out in full force this May. SteamVR > Facebook/Oculus Home.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 849x871) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 849x871
>>333045618
Yes, actually?
>>
Ignore this fucking stupid fad and play real games. By which I mean any decent game released before 1995.

There are no decent games released since 1995.
>>
File: 1413010154967.jpg (11 KB, 226x219) Image search: [Google]
1413010154967.jpg
11 KB, 226x219
>>333047316
It's just a hamburger with an egg on it. Yeah, it's good when cooked right, but not every burger NEEDS an egg on it.
And nobody knows how to cook a fucking egg.
Goddamn do I love eggs, though.
>>
>>333047405
>There are no decent games released since 1995.

I am sorry anon, that you can't enjoy games anymore. Thanks god I haven't got in the mind of gaming grandpa.
>>
>>333041657
>sony shills slandering their competitors again
Fuck off
>>
>people on /v/ bought vr memes

wow son.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.